The music (please consider Mark Seibert)

edited February 2011 in Kings Quest Game
Hey guys!

I'm extremely excited about Telltale's King's Quest announcement, as KQ is my favorite computer game series of all time (hence the username), and I never in a million years believed that Activision-Blizzard would sanction a new game. I have been following this forum closely since last week's announcement, and I have a lot to say/comment on myself. Unfortunately I have a big exam coming up soon and don't have the time (at the moment) to participate as much as I would like to. Still, I wanted to make a quick post regarding something I feel very strongly about, especially since I haven’t seen it being discussed yet:

I saw the topics regarding Roberta Williams or Jane Jensen's potential involvement, and I truly hope that Telltale has at least attempted to contact them. But I think another person who was instrumental (no pun intended) in creating the “feeling” of King's Quest was composer Mark Seibert. For those of you who aren't aware, Mark was the audio director at Sierra from 1989 to 1999 and contributed to the music of almost every Sierra series in one way or another (King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, Conquests of the Longbow/Camelot, Phantasmagoria, you name it). His compositions can be heard in King’s Quest V, VI, VII, and VIII (basically every KQ game with music other than KQIV).

For me, aside from the story and the characters, what really made King’s Quest King’s Quest was the music. It would be awesome if Roberta or Jane were involved with this project, if not as designers then at least as consultants ala Ron Gilbert with Tales. Similarly, I strongly feel that Mark is to King's Quest (and Sierra) as Michael Land is to Monkey Island. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    If I were to trust Telltale to do ANY element properly without outside help, it would be the music. That's how much faith I put in Jared Emerson-Johnson. Still, Seibert should be at least contacted, if only to consult and talk with Jared about the score.
  • edited February 2011
    Seibert was definitely instrumental (no pun intended) in crafting the KQ feel, at least in the later games. Ken Allen and Chris Brayman also did great and important work.

Still, unlike most game franchises, there weren't a lot of recurring theme tunes between installments in the series, so a fully-original Jared Emerson-Johnson score wouldn't be too out-of-place.
  • edited February 2011
    This thread has my full support and agreement.
  • edited February 2011
    I agree that there weren't many recurring themes in the KQ games, the one big exception being Cassima's theme from King's Quest V running all throughout King's Quest VI. Still, I feel that that the music was a huge part of KQ and the Sierra feel in general, and Mark was heavily involved in creating that. Many of the most beloved Sierra themes are Seibert compositions, including "The Magic Meadow" from Quest for Glory I (as well as the main theme used in all the QfG games), "The Bandits" from KQV, "Girl in the Tower" from KQVI, and "Consumite Furore" from Phantasmagoria (and that's just naming a few).

It's already been mentioned how Mark worked well with other composers (e.g. Ken Allen with KQV, Jay Usher with KQVII, Kevin Manthei and Ben Houge with KQVIII). Maybe Mark and Jared can work together on this new score, or perhaps Mark can write some main themes that Jared can use to create the rest of the score... I just feel that Telltale may not be aware of his monumental contribution to Sierra, and as a fan of both companies I feel the need (almost a responsibility) to bring it to their attention. I just hope that Telltale is reading this and that more forum members can voice their support.
  • edited February 2011
    EDIT: as a side note, I would just like to share a quick story that applies well to this situation. The first four Heroes of Might and Magic games were created by New World Computing between 1995 and 2002. All four were composed by Paul Romero and Rob King. When NWC's parent company (3DO) filed for bankruptcy in 2003, the Might and Magic license was sold to Ubisoft. Many HoMM fans were worried where Ubisoft would take the franchise and how it would look and feel. To everyone's sweet surprise, Ubisoft contacted Paul and Rob to do the score for Heroes of Might and Magic V. In my opinion this was an incredibly smart decision, as Ubisoft was able to secure a great soundtrack that FELT like a Heroes game while proving to the fans that they were committed to the Heroes of Might and Magic legacy. The designers and programmers may have been all new (NWC was an American company with American talent, the fifth game would be made by French and Russian developers), but by bringing back the composers they were keeping an important component (I would argue the "soul") of the series alive.

Paul Romero and Rob King have been re-contracted to compose the score of the newest game (Might and Magic: Heroes VI). And keep in mind that there have NEVER been any common or recurring themes among the Heroes of Might and Magic games.
  • edited February 2011
    This thread has my full support and agreement.

Somehow I was expecting that. :D

Honestly, I think this is one of those projects where even if the original composer isn't involved, tribute must be paid. Think of the continuous use of at least a part of "Hedwig's Theme" by John Williams in every Harry Potter film, even those where he was not the composer.
  • edited February 2011
    To me it doesn't matter if there are few or no recurring themes. What matters to me is the recurring vibe and atmosphere. And I truly think that Mark Seibert was the most influencial in King's Quest's vibe with KQ5.

Also, he's the one who composed the famous Sierra fanfare.
  • edited February 2011
    I agree with bringing Seibert on board, I already mentioned doing so in the music thread. :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.