Original Sam & Max required/recommended?

CozCoz
edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
Hey Everyone!

I'm one of those folks who was a huge Lucasarts/Sierra fan growing up. I've played every adventure game from these two companies... but I'm embarassed to say, never Sam & Max or Full Throttle. I have these titles but haven't gotten around to getting them running on a more modern OS (I'm assuming Dosbox and/or Scummvm should do the trick) and playing them.

My question is should I hold off on Episode 1 until I have a chance to sit down and play through the original, or can one appreciate Episode 1 just as much no matter the order the games are played in?

Thanks! I'm excited to jump into Sam & Max!

- Chris

Comments

• edited March 2007
    You can just jump in and play episode 1 without having played Hit the Road. You might miss one or two tiny references, but you can enjoy the games no matter what order you play them in. I wouldn't recommend letting Hit the Road and Full Throttle gather dust though, since both are very enjoyable as well. But by all means, get season 1 of Telltale's Sam & Max, you won't regret it!
  • edited March 2007
    Yes, but the original Sam and Max are required gaming for existence in general.
  • CozCoz
    edited March 2007
    Sp0tted wrote: »
    Yes, but the original Sam and Max are required gaming for existence in general.

Haha! I KNOW, I KNOW... please don't hold it against me! You have to understand, I was a Sierra fanatic in my younger years. I had never played anything from Lucasarts beyond Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, and DOTT. I only relatively recently REALLY discovered Lucasarts during college, back about 11 years ago.

A friend introduced me to the Monkey Island series at that time, which meant I HAD to pick up Grim Fandango when it came out a year later, and then Escape From Monkey Island a couple of years after that. Grim was masterful, and Escape scratched the itch but didn't quite feel the same as the previous three games.

Obviously, through playing all of these, I circled back to find the TRUE classics and that's when I found Sam & Max. I found it on Ebay, but never got around to playing it. I can see I need to remedy that!

- Chris
  • edited March 2007
    Yes, I recommend playing the original. I also recommend printing out a detailed walkthrough, because you'll need it! And yes, DOSBox will run it perfectly. A new version 0.70 of it just came out by the way.
  • edited March 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Yes, I recommend playing the original. I also recommend printing out a detailed walkthrough, because you'll need it! And yes, DOSBox will run it perfectly. A new version 0.70 of it just came out by the way.

Thanks for letting me know. I've set some time aside this evening to jump in. I also purchased Episode 1 too... just so I don't have to take a break! :D

Thanks Everyone!

Chris
  • edited March 2007
    AdamG wrote: »

Dosbox may run it ok, but for truly great results, you can't beat ScummVM
  • edited March 2007
    I gave my copy of Hit The Road to a friend cause the sound didn't work on my computer (His comp's a bit older so it runs it fine :3) There was nothing better than teasing Sam by trying to get him to pick up anything :3
  • SynSyn
    edited March 2007
    Having "Hit the Road" as a prerequisite to playing these new games is a bit of a sketchy field. I've been a long time fan of Lucas Arts/Sierra games so many of them are forever locked into my subconscious.

Anyways, you may be best left to playing these games first. Although I feel that "Hit the Road" is indeed a classic, my attachment to that game soured my initial impressions of Telltale's version.

I grew to anticipate their new adventures by now but the different voice actors put me off for the first two episodes.

Guh, I guess what I'm trying to say is that "Hit the Road" is NOT required to enjoy these new titles. You may even enjoy them more having not played the original.

But, with all that said, I've played the original and the first 4 episodes of Telltale's renditions and I'm eagerly awaiting more.
  • edited March 2007
    Coz wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!

I'm one of those folks who was a huge Lucasarts/Sierra fan growing up.

Pff, impossible! LucasArts fans disliked Sierra fans and vice versa. Unless you had a more accute split personality than other people a la Dr Jeckyll & Mr Hyde.

On topic: it doesn't matter if you haven't played Hit the Road (as has been said above). The storyline in TT's Sam and Max is not connected to that one, but you are indeed missing out on a great game if you don't play Hit the Road. ScummVM works great with the oldies.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    When playing HTR remember to try and go past the screen that is visible on your monitor. This tripped me up a couple of times in old LA games because there's no cursor change telling you to go farther off screen and you can miss vital things. :)

Hopefully, a helpful public service announcement.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    HTR wasn't that great. Play Monkey Island instead.
  • edited March 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    HTR wasn't that great. Play Monkey Island instead.
    I agree. I wasn't particularly interested in Hit the Road's storyline, and the puzzles were either dead easy or ridiculously obscure.

It is one of the 'classics', but I always enjoyed Monkey Island more.
  • edited March 2007
    young people don't have any taste in anything these days <- in my best old persons voice
  • edited March 2007
    Hit the Road is came out in a transitional era for adventure games. Lucasarts at the time wanted to change their good old interface. The main problem was the size of their original interface. It took up a huge space below the monitor leaving relatively less space for actual in game graphics. Sam&Max: Hit the Road was the first attempt at solving this problem. And as far as its interface goes it was a huge failure.

It was the first time they used icons and different pointers instead of the usual verb based interface. The only on-screen icon was "the box" serving as both the inventory and command menu.To give a simple command you had to

Open the box by clicking on it
    Select the command by clicking on it
    Closing the box by dragging the command off screen
    Click on the object

Right Clicking was a shortcut to cycle between available commands. And sometimes it was easier to do things that way. Then again sometimes not. There was not "default command" for objects as in previous lucasarts games.

Furthermore the icons and the resulting pointers didn't have any indication about where their hotspots were (unlike Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers) and they were so huge that sometimes the objects you wanted to click were significantly smaller than the pointer itself. This resulted in uncomfortable hotspot hunting.

Thank God Lucasarts never used that interface again.

As a game Hit the Road's irrelevant and insane story is still much better than the Telltale ones so far. But than again that is my opinion. The game's difficulty was a hit and miss. Sometimes it was too easy, sometimes too hard, and sometimes it seemed hard because the interface got in the way.

It is hardly one of the best games of Lucasarts. But I'd still recommend you to play it just for the sake of its historical value.
  • edited March 2007
    While you won't hear me saying that the HtR interface was as good as that of, say, FoA or DOTT, I feel I should make two counterpoints. Firstly, each command verb had an abbreviation letter (L for Look, U for Use, etc), much like in the other LA adventures.
    Second, the icons did change based on hotspot. The looking-eye was mostly closed but opened when over an object you could look at, same for the pick-up-hand, the use-hand and the talk-mouth. Items had a red outline when over an object and the walking-fingers were split when over move-out-of-area positions.
    I'll agree that the interface was not particularly brilliant by any means, but I've never been much bothered by it either.
  • edited March 2007
    In HTR you can use keyboard shortcuts to change the command too, eg T for talk, and I do seem to recall the icons changed when you went over a hotspot, eg talk icon opened mouth, use icon squeezed the squeezy thing
  • edited March 2007
    This might of been mensioned before but.. serch sam and max upgrade and you might get a file that is tiny,but use that ONE file when the Sam and max files has been copeyed on to to hard drive, it willl work on XP and with Higher graphics. I found it on sam and max.net but it's not there now beacuse of the transfer to mini-site
  • edited March 2007
    The word is definately required!!!

Sam & Max is the best adventure game ever made closely followed by Day of The Tentacle and the monkey island games.

Others may put the games in a different order but if you haven't played Sam & Max and you still won't after me telling you so, you are missing out on superb humor, nice artwork and cool music.

I learned all my american history and culture through Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle. It somehow made it so accesible. That's what I call edutainment.
  • edited March 2007
    Thrakhath wrote: »
    Sam & Max is the best adventure game ever made closely followed by Day of The Tentacle and the monkey island games.
    Obviously you haven't played Grim Fandango. ;)
  • edited March 2007
    Haggis wrote: »

yes I played it for a couple of hours until my friend borrowed it, moved to another city and never gave it back.

NOW I KNOW WHY! :( buuuuuh
  • edited March 2007

I never found out what all the fuss was about. I installed Grim Fandango, played it for a few hours, and put it away. Maybe I'm a bit of an oddball, but I enjoyed Sam & Max more, and had a bit of a hard time really getting into Grim Fandango. Maybe I will pull it out later and try it again, though.

I also thought Hit the road was funnier than Day of the tentacle, even though I bought that years ago :) I got it on a cd somewhere. I got Hit the road - version 2 today, and was pleasantly suprised to see the amount of work they had put into it, to make sure it ran fine on modern PCs. It took me a couple of years to finish Day of the tentacle, because I kept uninstalling it and loosing the save games :o

In my eyes, the best adventure game ever made is Broken Sword*, but Kings Quest - Mask of Eternity and Sam & Max comes not far behind. Oh, and of course monkey island. That series is hillarious, even though I am not sure if I would say it is better than Kings Quest 8 or not. At least I consider it better than hit the road, because the puzzles are more logical. Simon the sorcerer was hillarious too. But just the first game. I didn't like the other games in the series that much, even though they had their qualities(I haven't played the new game yet, though).

* if it hadn't been for this game, I would never have played that much adventure games as I have. I remember the adventure games I saw my brother played before that, and I never really got into it. It just looked so boring. But when I played Broken Sword, it was the first time I really enjoyed an adventure game(and even ended up buying it). I had borrowed sam & max from a friend some years earlier, I didn't really see what he found so great about it, so I gave it back to him. If it weren't for Broken Sword, I never would have played this game ever again. So yeah, thanks Tony and Charles :) and all the rest of those guys. I guess when I played Broken Sword, it was the first time I saw that an adventure game didn't have to be all silly nor all serious to be an adventure game. This games combined both the humour I enjoy from other media, and the seriousness of a quite serious story.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007

That's subjective :P I have a small handful of friends from high school who to this day will say that Sam & Max Hit the Road is their favorite computer game of all time.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    It's not worthy of its own thread but what a rip off.:mad: I hope no one falls for this and buys it.

Edit: Just to add, I was just perusing eBay for Sam & Max stuff (I was hoping to run into some comics) and ran across that item. I had no intention of buying it.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, there's a lot of beep-heads on Ebay. You need to keep your wits about you on there, read over every item description fully at least three times. If you buy something and they start giving you troubles, don't hesitate to start going through the normal fraud process that Ebay has in their support section. I've had a few crooks back down right away after they started getting emails from fraud services.
  • edited May 2007
    Highly recommended. Very good game.
  • edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    It's not worthy of its own thread but what a rip off.:mad: I hope no one falls for this and buys it.

"This listing (190103048818) has been removed or is no longer available.
    If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled."

:)
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I reported that listing for excessive shipping. That guy was charging shipping for his game patch.
  • edited May 2007
    (NOTE: By the receiving of this forum post, you acknowledge to pay the necessary shipping cost of $0.00001 for every KB transmitted)

You think that's bad, there are people who sell aimbots and other such devious programs over eBay.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm not 100% sure, but a lot of the old Sierra/LucasArts games are abandonware and easily downloadable. I know people have different views on this, but if a game is out of print, you shouldn't have to pour through ebay when you can just download the ScummVM program and find the game.

Also, Grim Fandango is an amazing game. If you're not familiar with some Film Noir, you may not "get" it at first, but I promise you that if you play past the first chapter, you'll be hooked. There are sooo truly good games out there (and this one would be on most people's top 10 lists), don't short yourself by not giving Grim Fandango a full try.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    raistlin75 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure, but a lot of the old Sierra/LucasArts games are abandonware and easily downloadable. I know people have different views on this, but if a game is out of print, you shouldn't have to pour through ebay when you can just download the ScummVM program and find the game.

That would be no ( They aren't out of print and they are not abandonware). You can still buy LucasArts games new (in fact they just had a rerelease in the UK and Australia) and Sierra recently released the Space Quest, Kings Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry collections.
  • edited May 2007
    Yea sadly most of those companies hold on tight and wont let go. Even if it means the idea or design sits on a shelf and rots. I mean take Steve for example... how much fuss did it take to get his characters from lucasarts lol.
    Anyway I must say sam and max hit the road is a MUST play along with all the other classic sierra and lucasarts games. Until lucasarts hit star wars in overdrive they actually made great games.
    Also yes.. Sam and max is still #1 on my top ten adventure game list of all time :P shortly followed by monkey island and the space quest series. XD
    And yep grim fandango rocks.. I hope the burton rumors are true!

"You know what would look better on your face? THE BAR!"
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    I mean take Steve for example... how much fuss did it take to get his characters from lucasarts lol.

I've heard a similar statement like this many times. I don't think there was necessarily any fuss on anyones part. I think the license expired and then he was free to do with it what he wanted (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.