Season 2 - Vista and DirectX 10

edited March 2007 in Sam & Max
I have a request for season 2.

Whatever you do, telltalegames, please don't release it with Vista only or DirectX 10 only support. I am planning to stick with my XP for at least some more years, and I bet there are others here who are planning to do the same, so please give me a chance to buy and play the next season :D Thanks.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Definitely agree with you there. I am not giving up on XP for that piece of @#$% which is Vista any time soon, if at all. I may just wait for the next iteration of Windows, which is just around the corner, really.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Telltale's always tried to keep system specs low. I'd be surprised if we suddenly went Vista only. (Most of the computers in the office are still running XP, anyway!)
  • edited March 2007
    dx10 Sam & Max

Could someone explain what they would need that for?
  • edited March 2007
    Tale wrote: »
    For the giant explosions, lightsaber battles, and Force effects in the Season 2 Star Wars cross-over episode.
  • edited March 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Telltale's always tried to keep system specs low. I'd be surprised if we suddenly went Vista only. (Most of the computers in the office are still running XP, anyway!)

That's good news.
    Tale wrote: »
    dx10 Sam & Max

Good question ;) I just heard that DirectX 10 has problems with games using older version of directx, so I thought maybe they were going to release it for Vista only just to avoid struggling with making the game work well on both XP and Vista.

Sometimes, it also seems like game developers feel they must use the latest and hottest in technology to be seen in the marked(or to even get founded for what they are doing). "If there is no explosions, I ain't playing it!" as my invisible friend who loves console games said.
  • edited March 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    That's good news.

Good question ;) I just heard that DirectX 10 has problems with games using older version of directx, so I thought maybe they were going to release it for Vista only just to avoid struggling with making the game work well on both XP and Vista.

Sometimes, it also seems like game developers feel they must use the latest and hottest in technology to be seen in the marked(or to even get founded for what they are doing). "If there is no explosions, I ain't playing it!" as my invisible friend who loves console games said.

Any sentient programmer knows that jumping on the "New stuff from Microsoft! Let's use it!" bandwagon can be problematic. In a few years, maybe. Not till then.
  • edited March 2007
    from what i have seen in the past telltale is not very concerned with keeping on the cutting edge of technology................. but rather the cutting edge of game formats and Genre types

telltale's main intrest is to make games that are fun, affordable, and look good while not requireing a five grand gaming computer to run

telltales buissness practices are rare for any entertainment company, they care more about product than profit (this is most likely because all the executive staff are all game designers themselves) ............... because they know that a good game is an easy sell and reputation precedes all, personally telltale is one of the few gaming companies that i will buy a game from them without first playing a demo or reading a few reviews

so i do not think that they will make any game "exclusive" to any one operating system, game console, or hardware type.............. simply because they want their products to fall into as many hands as possible

why everyone is worrying about telltale getting to far ahead of the curve in terms of technology and operating system formatting................. even tough i already have windows vista and DirectX 10 i do not want to be one of the few that is able to play a game just because i have fat pockets and a complete overkill gaming pc.....
  • edited March 2007
    If for some bizzare reason they made Season 2 Vista only they can forget me buying it, because there's no way in heck I will ever buy Vista. I can only take so many abuses of legality and wretched, useless, poorly designed software coding before I give up.
    Oh, yeah, and the $250 price tag. Not to mention Vista will check to see if any video you run is authentic, and even if it is authentic and it messes up and blurs the video anyway (anti-piracy measure errr "feature"), then you're screwed.
    Did I mention Vista uses about 256Mb of memory for just the Auro interface, and it's always loaded, even if you turn it off? I wouldn't use Vista if I was PAID $250! Or even $2,500.
  • edited March 2007
    I'm using Linux or something instead as soon as XP is too obsolete. No more MicroS for me. :I
  • edited March 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    I'm using Linux or something instead as soon as XP is too obsolete. No more MicroS for me. :I

same here. Even though I rarely play games anymore(or, in other words, most games I play got a few years on their neck already) I want the few games that I am playing and waiting for to keep supporting XP. It kind of sucks to have to check every game I buy to see if they still support XP, so might as well check up front :D
  • edited March 2007
    I think I'll switch to Mac when this PC blows up. The dual-booting technology is so good these days, that I'll probably be able to play the Windows-only games anyway.
  • edited March 2007
    yep. The emulating technology keeps suprising me. The newest VMWare supports DirectX to some extent up to version 8.0(or 8.1?), and I have been able to run a number of games with various results on the latest version of WINE. I also heard there's a pretty good emulator for Mac that supports even better to run emulated DirectX games. Also, cedega is coming along... and qemu helps me play the games I can't get to work in the other places. By the time XP is ready for the old folks home, I bet there will be a number of games one can play through emulation either in mac or linux. :) Maybe that new AMD-V technology will make emulation even more efficient and usable too. And yes, dual-booting is much more of an option now when one got those intel based macs...

It's just a matter of time now.
  • edited March 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Already am using Linux. Supposedly there's a way to get DirectX working on the Windows emulator for it, but I've not been able to figure it out yet.

Once XP is obsolete, I reckon very few people will want to use Windows operating systems then. I can't picture my college using Vista in the near future, even to run the new software Microsoft will impose on everyone.

With any luck, Microsoft will eventually go down in the OS department, and a multi-OS alternative to DirectX will show up.
  • edited March 2007
    Microsoft is like a cockroach. Not even nuclear war can destroy it. I have a feeling that within the next 50 years the planet will have it's name changed to MSEarth, and RPGs will be banned due to infringement on the acronym "XP".
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    In season 2 Sam and Max will do battle against a dynamically generated motion blur effect. It will be very disconcerting for all involved, and will require at least 4 lashed-together video cards to maintain 30fps.
  • edited March 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    In season 2 Sam and Max will do battle against a dynamically generated motion blur effect. It will be very disconcerting for all involved, and will require at least 4 lashed-together video cards to maintain 30fps.

lol :D you crack me up, little buddy.

I'm already looking forward to it. To say it with Arthur from The Journeyman Project 3:

"Oh, this'll be more exciting than a pair of pants full of geckos! "

and

"God, I wish I had a body!" :D
  • edited March 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    For the giant explosions, lightsaber battles, and Force effects in the Season 2 Star Wars cross-over episode.

Lemme guess. LucasArts is publishing.
  • BasBas
    edited March 2007
    On a similar note, I'm hoping for them to -continue- supporting Vista for season 2, because no way am I going back to XP again.
    Good question ;) I just heard that DirectX 10 has problems with games using older version of directx,

DirectX 10 can't run games for older versions of DirectX, it's not backwards compatible anymore. That's why the fully backwards compatible DirectX9 is -also- installed on Vista. So no problem running games for older DX versions.
  • BasBas
    edited March 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Once XP is obsolete, I reckon very few people will want to use Windows operating systems then. I can't picture my college using Vista in the near future, even to run the new software Microsoft will impose on everyone.

I love how this is exactly the same thing people said when waiting for Windows 95 and 98 to become obsolete. "Nobody is ever going to run that awful Windows XP!"
  • edited March 2007
    Windows XP is actually a pretty good operating system, and way better than Windows 95 and 98, even though 98SE was pretty good too. However, Vista just seems to include so much bloat that it's not funny anymore. And now with Boot Camp, the Mac has become a very viable alternative, whereas before the average PC user would be scared to use anything but Windows, afraid that their programs wouldn't run. I'm very seriously considering the switch to Mac, which is something I would never have guessed thinking one day.
  • edited March 2007
    The world has changed. There are good alternatives to running Windows now. Back when XP first hit the market, Linux didn't have that good support for many formats and files used on Windows PCs, and Linux was a pain just to install and use without breaking anything. Mac has also become back into focus, and are now a good alternative for a lot more people. People who would never consider Linux or Mac back when XP was new, now consider these operating systems. When I upgraded to XP, it was because there was no good alternative. When my RAM exceded 512 mb, I had to switch from 98 to 2000 which was a pretty good OS. I still like 2000, but when it comes to running older games XP is much better. Since I love games, I switched in a flash.

You know where I am heading, right? There was a reason to switch to XP. There were improvements. But all the improvements I have heard about Vista so far I have either found on Linux or Mac as well, or are "improvements"(and I use the term loosely) I don't really need or want on my PC. It just seems to me like the improvements in Vista are just excuses to force me to invest my money into something I don't really need. I know the argument about "Eventually Microsoft will force you to switch to Vista" but I don't really believe it this time. The situation has changed.

I don't hold a grudge against people running Vista, and I am sure you are quite happy with Vista. Still, not all of us thinks Vista is the OS for us. We consider other operating systems, and many of us have already found something we want to switch to if XP goes rancid.

Last, I just want to say that I don't really want to turn this into a flame war. I only want to point out that the situation has changed, and I don't need or want Vista on my PC. I am sure others do, though, and I respect their decision. And yes, I do hope the next season will be supported on Vista. The difference between XP and Vista, is that XP doesn't have DX10, but Vista has DX9. Which puts us XP users in an unfair disadvantage since we are forced out of a market that uses DX10.

Thanks for reading!
  • edited March 2007
    I fully expect Telltale to transition their engine to OpenGL, so as to have a (mostly) common rendering pipeline for Wii support. Obviously shaders work differently on both platforms (TEVs on Wii), but the core rendering methodology is pretty similar. This will also have the advantage of making Mac & Linux support essentially trivial.
  • edited March 2007
    Bas wrote: »
    I love how this is exactly the same thing people said when waiting for Windows 95 and 98 to become obsolete. "Nobody is ever going to run that awful Windows XP!"

Things are different now, and the stakes are higher. Viva la resistance! :mad:
  • edited March 2007
    Bas wrote: »

Windows XP didn't require 8 times the previous OS's minimum RAM requirement, automatically decrease quality of HD video (or prevent it from playing entirely), totally disable itself when it's DRM tool goofs, have a more stable kernel than the previous OS's, have a resources-intensive GUI, or cost $260 for an UPGRADE to the higher-end OS, either.

I predict Vista acts pretty much the same way as Windows ME did. ;)
  • edited March 2007
    I think Mac is it for me the next computer I buy. It is safer and better, I only ever really need photoshop and if I really, desperately want to run video games, I will dual-install xp on it. Jake wins.

Edit: goddamn qwertz keyboard. :(
  • edited March 2007
    I mean really S&M has DX7 graphics card requirements here. I seriously doubt anyone is moving to DX10/Vista only any time soon
  • edited March 2007
    I feel the same way as marsan.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Linux is still ridiculous as anything but an enthusiast hobby tinkering platform, or as an OS for a server machine. Despite improvements in usability, Linux is still enormously end-user-unfriendly. Our own Doug, who is very technically adept, and has experience with Linux, is about to throw one of our new servers out the window because it's such a pain in the butt to just get a new Linux distro up and configured from scratch on a new machine. My mom could reinstall XP or MacOS X on her home computers if she wished, but there's no way in hell she could get one step beyond "press enter to boot from CD" on a Linux install.

I'm one of the few people in Telltale running Vista full time on my work machine (because I got a new PC and it came with it), and I'm not exactly enamored with it, but on the other hand, it's hardly the doomsday OS that some people seem to make it out to be. It actually feels just like XP with a bunch of modifications to the sort of B-level UI stuff, to make its feature bullet-point list more on par with MacOS X's. A service pack or two from now I think it'll be pretty great, actually. I haven't tried playing any licensed HD content on it or whatever it is that makes people start tearing their hair out, but for regular everyday stuff, it's just like every other new Microsoft OS in its first six months on shelves.
  • edited March 2007
    For what it's worth, I got Samba working properly about an hour after Jake went home. It was a case of an error message describing something that was not, in fact, a problem (name resolution error, when the actual problem was with permissions)
  • edited March 2007
    So what you're saying basically is that season 2 will be DX10 only?
  • edited March 2007
    I don't think they said that.
  • edited March 2007
    It actually feels just like XP with a bunch of modifications to the sort of B-level UI stuff, to make its feature bullet-point list more on par with MacOS X's

Which is why I don't really understand why this OS require so much more than XP. Even when one disables aero and all that stuff, it still uses a lot more memory than XP, which I find rather sucky since I hold my meory rather precious :) I understand why people will use Vista in such a scenario - when they buy a new PC and it's already on there. What I don't understand is why somebody would go out into a store and buy a operating system that requires even more of their PC and probably makes their old PC even more unstable, when they could have saved their memory for games or for running 100 instances of Internet Explorer :D. But that's just me :)
    A service pack or two from now I think it'll be pretty great, actually.

I think they could have waited until it was done with releasing it. When they must annonce service packs even before the product is on the market, something is not right.

Also, I find it rather scary the new DRM stuff in Vista. It seems to me like we are coming to a point where the programs and operating system(not to mention new Trusted Computing hardware) on our PC has more control over the PC than we can ever have.
  • edited March 2007
    Which is why I don't really understand why this OS require so much more than XP. Even when one disables aero and all that stuff, it still uses a lot more memory than XP, which I find rather sucky since I hold my meory rather precious :) I understand why people will use Vista in such a scenario - when they buy a new PC and it's already on there. What I don't understand is why somebody would go out into a store and buy a operating system that requires even more of their PC and probably makes their old PC even more unstable, when they could have saved their memory for games or for running 100 instances of Internet Explorer :D. But that's just me :)

I think they could have waited until it was done with releasing it. When they must annonce service packs even before the product is on the market, something is not right.

Also, I find it rather scary the new DRM stuff in Vista. It seems to me like we are coming to a point where the programs and operating system(not to mention new Trusted Computing hardware) on our PC has more control over the PC than we can ever have.

[TONGUEINCHEEK]Do I smell a plot brewing for season 2?[/TONGEINCHEEK]
  • edited March 2007
    Which is why I don't really understand why this OS require so much more than XP. Even when one disables aero and all that stuff, it still uses a lot more memory than XP, which I find rather sucky since I hold my meory rather precious

I can tell you why it still uses so much memory even when Aero is disabled:

Aero's still loaded in memory whether or not it's being used. :eek:

And Aero also loads a bunch of other stuff into memory all the time, like DirectX, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, etc. :eek: :eek:
  • edited March 2007
    Which is why I don't really understand why this OS require so much more than XP. Even when one disables aero and all that stuff, it still uses a lot more memory than XP, which I find rather sucky since I hold my meory rather precious :)

That's because even if you disable Aero, it's still in memory. Why, I don't know. Micron or Crucial probably slipped Microsoft a couple million under the table and asked them to make it as uneffecient with memory allocation as possible so we would buy more memory. Hey, it's possible.
  • edited March 2007

Yeah, you're right, Microsoft could have waited 4 more months or so before they released Vista. But that would've made them look bad. It was already starting to become a joke. So they tossed it out the door. Do they care if it's not finished? Obviously not. It's not like they care about you, as long as you paid that $200 for your wonderful new OS.

Good!!! You should. Microsoft will keep taking more and more freedom out of their operating systems with each new release. They're not going to take them all away, right away, or you wouldn't buy it. No, they're going to whittle every knook and cranny down little by little until you can't breath, just like governments. Are you going to let them get away with it, or are you going to never buy another Microsoft OS again?

Viva la resistance!!! :mad:
  • edited March 2007
    I don't think Telltale would do something like that. The XP still has a time to survive. It could go to 2010 before game companies stop supporting them.
  • edited March 2007
    What do you mean by "Season 2" The first 6 episodes are season 1, right?
  • edited March 2007
    What do you mean by "Season 2" The first 6 episodes are season 1, right?

Yes, the first 6 episodes are Season 1. We're talking about when Season 2 comes out.
  • edited March 2007
    Only they havent finished season one yet. Why are you talking about season 2?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.