KQ3 Redux is out.

edited February 2011 in Kings Quest Game
AGDI's interpretation of the 3rd game is out. Weighs in at 232mb. Happy gaming, fellow adventurers. :)

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Downloading now. Also going to re-play the first two :).
  • edited February 2011
    Heh, don't forget Infamous Adventure's version of King's Quest III, if you want to compare AGDI and IA. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Heh, don't forget Infamous Adventure's version of King's Quest III, if you want to compare AGDI and IA. :)
    Indeed, that's what I'm going to be doing.
  • edited February 2011

Infamous Adventures KQIII is excellent. I just played that one ago not too long ago though, so it's still fresh in my mind.
  • edited February 2011
    my 1sat playthrough and boy was sierra deserving of going bankrupt i cant count the times ive died on this game for stupid reasons, this game deserves a hint system and a goal to direct you.
  • edited February 2011
    I absolutely loved AGDI's KQII -- it had everything I want in an adventure game (starting with availability of a Mac version :D). I'm hoping to start KQIII Redux tonite but it might have to wait for the weekend.
  • edited February 2011
    Everlast wrote: »
    my 1sat playthrough and boy was sierra deserving of going bankrupt i cant count the times ive died on this game for stupid reasons, this game deserves a hint system and a goal to direct you.
    Sierra never "went bankrupt", not in the literal sense(filing for actual bankruptcy protection in the US), nor in a sense more in keeping with the vernacular(were shut down due to financial difficulties). They were INCREDIBLY popular and lucrative(their main titles doing better than any contemporary LucasArts game) up to their sale to CUC. A completely different company mismanaged them, and a few mergers later saw the company die not for any customer-related reason, but due to corporate sales, mergers, and behind-the-scenes business dealings. If the sale to CUC hadn't gone through, Sierra could very well have been as strong a force in gaming today as they were in their own era.
  • edited February 2011

Well take too much time in the game, turn 18 and you know what you are playing for. When this game was released it would take people weeks or months to complete (without a walkthrough or the internet). So they were kind of getting their money's worth.

And I doubt Sierra went bankrupt. I even have my old Sierra-Half-Life-Boxes here. They had a lot of games that sold well. They even sold more adventure games than Lucas Arts. (I guess that's one of the reasons LA has turned their back on adventures and started to make well-selling Star Wars games)
  • edited February 2011
    Like Dashing said, it was due to mismanagement from the companies that bought out Sierra. Which led to closing down the Oakhurst facility, to closing down the LA head offices, to finally disbanding the brand altogether. A truly sad end to a monumentally influential game company.
  • edited February 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Well take too much time in the game, turn 18 and you know what you are playing for. When this game was released it would take people weeks or months to complete (without a walkthrough or the internet). So they were kind of getting their money's worth.

And I doubt Sierra went bankrupt. I even have my old Sierra-Half-Life-Boxes here. They had a lot of games that sold well. They even sold more adventure games than Lucas Arts. (I guess that's one of the reasons LA has turned their back on adventures and started to make well-selling Star Wars games)

Im from the era where adventure games where the ones ruling pc gaming, that is until Civilization, Warcraft games became popular. So i know how legendary they where. But i always never took orliked the idea of playing their games because i would get stuck or die for stupid reasons.

In this game the damn wizard keeps spawning asking for stuff i dont know how to really do it. Nevertheless i do recognize their games went toe to toe against Monkey Island, Loom, DOTT heydays.
  • edited February 2011
    There is not one puzzle or instance in this game that does not make sense.
  • edited February 2011

Along these lines, I just read a blog post that said:
    The Secret of Monkey Island was, after all, the original masterpiece which launched the adventure genre to seven or eight years of unprecedented commercial success yadda yadda...

http://www.alwaysblack.com/?p=253

So aggravating what a warped view of adventure game history people have. Monkey Island, nor any other Lucasarts game, ever touched Sierra. I confirmed some sales theories I had with another old Sierra high-up - for perspective, Leisure Suit Larry 7 outsold Grim Fandango by a 7:1 margin.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, I was surprised to hear that in the MI:SE video feature. It's not really true.
  • edited February 2011
    JuntMonkey wrote: »
    Along these lines, I just read a blog post that said:

http://www.alwaysblack.com/?p=253

So aggravating what a warped view of adventure game history people have. Monkey Island, nor any other Lucasarts game, ever touched Sierra. I confirmed some sales theories I had with another old Sierra high-up - for perspective, Leisure Suit Larry 7 outsold Grim Fandango by a 7:1 margin.

I grew up playing Sierra games and never really heard of Monkey Island nor Grim Fandango till I was in my late teen years whereas I have heard most of the Quest games. The first time I have heard of Monkey Island was seeing the ads for part 3 in a gaming magazine whereas I have heard of the Quest through friends and family.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.