The Mystery of El Pollo Diablo

In The Curse of Monkey Island there is a myth circulating around plunder island about a horrifying demon known as El Pollo diablo(the devil chicken).
It supposedly is responsible for releasing Blondebeard's chickens and is a cause of horror for most of the residents. But the game never seemed to explain exactly what El Pollo Diablo was (assuming I didn't overlook something). Guybrush used the myth to trick blondebeard at one point, but that was pretty much the only time it was used in the plot.

So my question is, was it real? If not, then what freed blondebeard's chickens?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Its The Voodoo Lady she knew Guybrush would need to get on the ship so she staged the whole thing knowing he would be able to use it to get on with out him suspecting hes being used.
  • edited February 2011
    I think Blondebeard was just a little crazy...
  • edited February 2011
    Nu-uh, that creature is REAL! You can see it here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think Blondebeard was just a little crazy...

Then why were the chicken coops EMPTY???? AND WHY WAS EVERYONE SCARED OF IT?????

The answers we shall never know.
  • edited February 2011

¡Madre de Dios!
  • edited February 2011
    It's Marty McFly, which by accident didn't only travel to the wrong time, but the wrong universe/game, and then being captured by Capten LeChimp and his crew. We know what happens next. Dipped in tar and feathers, he wandered the island for a while (somehow always evading Guybrush), and then passing by Captain Blondebeard's, we all know how McFlys react to being clucked at.
  • edited February 2011

Urgghhh... did you actually just compare Family Guy to Monkey Island, in a roundabout kind of way?! That's like comparing a rotten bit of grizzle on the bottom of a tramps shoe to a sirloin steak!
  • edited February 2011
    There's a bit in the CMI Strategy Guide where Bill Tiller mentions that the game designers wanted to have El Pollo Diablo actually make an appearance in-game in the flesh.... err, in the feathers?
  • edited February 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    There's a bit in the CMI Strategy Guide where Bill Tiller mentions that the game designers wanted to have El Pollo Diablo actually make an appearance in-game in the flesh.... err, in the feathers?

Ah, that makes sense. I know that the ending to the game was cut due to budget but I had always felt that El Pollo Diablo was intended to get some kind of explanation. It just seems strange that such a big deal is made about him but it only ever pans out to solving a puzzle.
  • edited February 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    Ah, that makes sense. I know that the ending to the game was cut due to budget but I had always felt that El Pollo Diablo was intended to get some kind of explanation. It just seems strange that such a big deal is made about him but it only ever pans out to solving a puzzle.
    Yeah. I'm not sure it ever got as far as the missing ending cutscene did, though. The idea the writers tossed around for El Pollo Diablo's appearance was definitely pretty wacky, and is very likely why he was cut.

To quote Tiller:
    ...everything else got into the game. Except the huge El Pollo Diablo trap-filled labyrinth beneath Plunder Island, filled with the ghastly howling clucks of his little brethren demanding vengeance on the chicken-eating world, where Guybrush is captured and tortured until he swears off white meat for the rest of his life and then is trained in the sacred Way of the Chicken and becomes an elite warrior of the Pollo Knights of the Sith. And the big battle at the end where Guybrush and Elaine fight off the skeletons holding her captive and Guybrush goes after LeChuck on the roller coaster. Other than that, it's all there.
  • edited February 2011
    For some odd reason I always selected dialogue option: "!Sí He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!" in Blondbeard's.

Personally I liked the joke, but I never thought that it would neer more explaining. Guybrush was just using crazy person's worst fears against him. :)
  • edited February 2011
    For some odd reason I always selected dialogue option: "!Sí He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!" in Blondbeard's.

Personally I liked the joke, but I never thought that it would neer more explaining. Guybrush was just using crazy person's worst fears against him. :)

Twas the funniest response for anyone with a smidgen of Spanish under their belt.
  • edited March 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Twas the funniest response for anyone with a smidgen of Spanish under their belt.

Or with access to Google Translate ;)
  • edited March 2011

Hah. Very true. Though, I am inclined to think it was a bit funnier for anyone acquainted with Mexican telenovelas (soap operas). The line itself is funny, but he delivers it with the same sort of faux dramatics that an actor on one of those soaps does.
  • edited March 2011

One of the dialogue options is exactly the same line in English and it's quite easy to figure out what the Spanish comment means, even without translator or skill in Spanish language.
  • edited March 2011
    One of the dialogue options is exactly the same line in English and it's quite easy to figure out what the Spanish comment means, even without translator or skill in Spanish language.

Sí, eso es cierto. Muy bien visto. :D
  • edited March 2011

Except for those of us who don't read all the dialogue options and click immediately on the one that gets our eye :P
  • edited March 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Except for those of us who don't read all the dialogue options and click immediately on the one that gets our eye :P

You don't? :eek:

Personally I'm one of those crazy persons who might restore previous save, just because they missed one topic in the dialogue tree. :D
  • edited March 2011
    I'm just one of the crazy people who've played the game so much to have used all the lines. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    Same actually. I just blew through Curse again recently and realized not only did I know all the responses that would come up, but I have a habit of actually saying the lines myself. Not sure if that's sad or just kind of cool...
  • edited March 2011
    Personally I'm one of those crazy persons who might restore previous save, just because they missed one topic in the dialogue tree. :D

Hey, a kindred spirit!

mgrant wrote: »
    Same actually. I just blew through Curse again recently and realized not only did I know all the responses that would come up, but I have a habit of actually saying the lines myself. Not sure if that's sad or just kind of cool...

Another kindred spirit and by the way, we're definitely in the sad category :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.