Technical question about the old KQ games.

edited March 2011 in Kings Quest Game
I was wondering where are the savegames stored in the old games, specifically King Quest 4. Where or on wich files all that data is.

Im playing KQ 4 right now and just when i am minutes away from winning the game....crash (something about "0x82ó90 not found")

So i was thinking on installing a new version and trying to copy/paste the savegames. If someone can help, i would be really glad. :)

If not, oh well. Start all over.
Just thinking about the troll, the chasm and the whale makes me wanna cry.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Are you using DOSBox or ScummVM?

I would imagine, with DOSBox, they would be in the folder where the KQ4 game files are, whereas with ScummVM they would be in the ScummVM folder. Actually, doesn't KQ4 ask you what directory you want to save/load games from when you do so ingame?

okay, now then....

****NEWSFLASH****

I got KQ6 for Windows working perfectly in Windows 7 x64 using ScummVM, without having any perceptible issues of any kind so far.

I've been looking into it over the years, and various places I read on the subject of someone asking how to get the Windows version of KQ6 working all have people saying things like "use DOSBox instead" or "can't be done in Windows 64-bit" or suggesting dual-booting or some other such thing.

...Then, yesterday on the Sierra Help Pages, I found a new installer for KQ6 that installs both the DOS version (in DOSBox) and the Windows version (in ScummVM) on any version of Windows. They work beautifully on my PC without any currently apparent issues.

So, anyone who is interested in getting KQ6 for Windows to work on their machine, it's not only now possible but also incredibly easy to do. In fact, there are new installers for all of the other King's Quest games there as well. I hope it helps any of you who may have problems in the future when trying to get these games running.
  • edited March 2011
    I found the files but my master plan of copy/paste does not work: "That game was saved under a different interpreter. It cannot be restored." Ouch. I think i may have found two different versions of the game.
  • edited March 2011
    KQ4 is available both in SCI and AGI versions.
  • edited March 2011
    Ha ha i was just gonna say: "and no, im not playing the AGI version".
    I belive SCI had different versions. There was one visible difference, in one version (the oldest) the yes/no/restore/restart buttons were white while in the other green.
  • edited March 2011
    I was wondering if anybody have saved games from King Quest 4? The part where my game crashed was trying to get down the stairs in Lolotte castle after Edgar came with the rose and set me free.
    So if anybody got any saved games from somewhere near that part, a little after or a little before, i would be really thankfull.
  • edited March 2011
    I got your PM, Ignatius. Yes, there are indeed 2 SCI versions of KQ4 besides the AGI version.

AGI:
    skullagi.pngpoolagi.png

SCI 1.000.111 (Older green button version):
    Pic6.bmpPic3.bmp

SCI 1.006.004 (Newer version with all the collections):
    Pic6_2.bmpPic3_2.bmp

I also prefer the night time backgrounds of the older version which uses alternate backgrounds, while the newer version merely pastes a night sky over the day backgrounds.

1.000.111:
    Pic103.bmp

1.006.004:
    Pic103_2.bmp

Do you have the version with white buttons or green buttons? I don't have any save games for the green button version, but I may be able to get an appropriate save game at the end for the other. If all else fails, you might check out http://sierrahelp.com/ and see if you can find help there. I'd recommend trying to play it in ScummVM as they implement fixes sometimes for script errors in some SCI games and you might be able to get by that particular part.
  • edited March 2011
    Well, i got both versions. But it would be nice if i could have a savegame from the newer version (1.006.004 the one with the white buttons) since that was the one that crashed.

Actually im playing it all over again in the older version, and im close to get there again. So it's not a big deal if you don't have one. But it would be cool only to see if it would have worked, and fix the newer version.

I didn't know about king quest on scummvm! It's like adding any other game or i have to do something different? I will try that now.
  • edited March 2011
    It's just like adding any other game. All the King's Quests except 7 and MOE are playable in ScummVM. KQ7 support is coming as it's a later version of SCI. The SCI engine (specifically FreeSCI) has been merged with the ScummVM project for well over a year now I think.

EDIT: Here's a bunch of save games for KQ4 from my collection CD for every part of the game. Access them by unzipping the numbered folders to your KQ4 directory and then when restoring a game change the directory in the restore game dialogue and add the number of the folder.

KQ4 1.006.004 Save Files
  • edited March 2011
    Well thanks a bunch! I already won the game, but i'll check those later.

Also i tried ScummVM and yes, not only it works fine, but it looks prettier.
  • edited March 2011
    I've got another problem. More or less.

It's a question actually.

This time about King Quest VII. I can run it perfectly using Dosbox. But i always prefer using the boxer, (dosbox add on that allows you to enter the game quickly without typing commands), strangely when using the boxer the game plays without music, voices, and veeeery slow.
    It's strange since the commands in the boxer are the same i use to play it on regular dosbox.
    So, my question is, maybe the boxer is not supported some how? Or there is something im missing?

Hope someone knows what im talking about.
  • edited March 2011
    You might try a different Dosbox frontend. A quick Google search should pull up a number of options. I've found that D.O.G. works best in Windows, and Dapplegrey is the way to go if you have a Mac. I've had no trouble running KQVII in either of those (once I used the patches at Sierra Help Pages to convert it from Win 3.1 to the Dos version.)
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the tip, i always used Boxer because you don't need to learn anything if you already knew how to use dosbox. Just put the same commands.

But now i downloaded DOG and don't know what im doing. I figured how to run a simple game with a simple exe file, but i need to mount a whole folder with several folders inside and ALSO the cd.
    Can you give me a hint on what to do?
  • edited March 2011
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Can you give me a hint on what to do?

For a truly headache-free experience, I recommend using one of the handy Sierra Installers.
  • edited March 2011
    The most simplified approach is just to buy the games from gog.com . They're super cheap over there and they've already modified all of them to work on any modern system - I recently bought all 8 from their site and they all work perfectly under Windows 7 64-bit.
  • edited March 2011
    I had trouble with the GOG.com version of King's Quest VII: the game's color palette was completely wrong and it almost looked like I was tripping.

I just run the DOS version of KQ7 in DOSbox without any frontends. You can add lines to the config file to make the program do whatever you like on startup (e.g., mount CD drives and switch to the game directory).
  • edited March 2011
    There is something about turning off direct draw in the frontend game options, to get gog's version to run correctly I think?
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah that's what I had to do to get 7 to run properly, I believe I had to do the same with Mask of Eternity as well.
  • edited March 2011
    I've got another problem. More or less.

It's a question actually.

This time about King Quest VII. I can run it perfectly using Dosbox. But i always prefer using the boxer, (dosbox add on that allows you to enter the game quickly without typing commands), strangely when using the boxer the game plays without music, voices, and veeeery slow.
    It's strange since the commands in the boxer are the same i use to play it on regular dosbox.
    So, my question is, maybe the boxer is not supported some how? Or there is something im missing?

Hope someone knows what im talking about.

Why don't you use a new KQ7 for DOSBox installer? -> http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#K

It asks you a minimal number of questions to get it set up, and even creates a Shortcut icon for you to use to launch the game. Easy.

You shouldn't have to run DOS commands to get the game running. There are recent installers that do all the work.
    from Sierrahelp.com
    King's Quest VII for DOSBox (1994) - Now works with most English versions of KQ7. This bilingual installer will work with version 1.4, 1.51, 2.00 Spanish and 2.00b of the game. It will update your KQ7 v 1.4 or v 1.51 to v 2.00b with DOS interpreter and set it up in DOSBox. This will address the Firecracker bug. Installs the entire game to the hard drive for CD-less play. You will be given the option to download the DOS movies for versions 1.4 and 1.51.
    BW5ni.png yIqOY.png
    MYO9N.png ArWQR.png
  • edited March 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Why don't you use a new KQ7 for DOSBox installer? -> http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#K

I've suggested it earlier in the thread, but apparently, real men don't use installers ;)
  • edited March 2011
    No, it's because i don't need the installer.
    I can install and play the game perfectly from Dosbox without the installer.

Thing is im lazy and don't want to write the whole command every time i play the game, so i tried to use some frontend for Dosbox but the game didn't work with that.

Although if the installer creates a shortcut to the game using dosbox then it must be more convenient, but i will not uninstall the game to try that, maybe next time.

Thanks anyway to all!
  • edited March 2011
    Ignatius, you can put whatever commands you need in your DOSBox configuration file. Just add what you would normally need to type on the DOSBox command line to the end of the config file. Then when you launch DOSBox, those instructions will be automatically carried out.
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome. Thanks a lot!
  • edited March 2011
    Happy to help. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Although if the installer creates a shortcut to the game using dosbox then it must be more convenient,...

It does. And is.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.