Opinions of KQ8: Mask of Eternity?

Personally, I actually really liked that game. Yes it had a bit too much violence, but then again violence was an option in the early KQ games. While KQ5 is my favorite KQ, I wouldn't have minded KQ going in that epic, Arthurian direction. KQ8's story and symbolism is much deeper than any of the previous games, and Connor isn't that bad of a character in retrospect. I personally find it a true KQ game and criminally underrated.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I liked this one quite a bit as well, though it just didn't seem to fit into the series that well for me. I felt that the adventure elements of exploring and talking and solving puzzles got a bit lost in all the action. It just didn't feel as connected to the other 7 as I would have liked, but it's still an excellent game.
  • edited March 2011
    Where's the "It's alright, but suffered from bad controls and terrible loading. Also, certainly not a KQ Game." option?

You don't really have a middle of the road option here. I thought the game was alright, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a good game. I didn't hate it, or even not like it, though.
  • edited March 2011
    Ah yes I have to agree on the load times, the whole installing and uninstalling of the different areas really was ridiculous. I remember the first time I played it on my older computer that was like a 10-15 minute process every time. The GOG version is much faster as it's all local.
  • edited March 2011
    Its one of my favorite KQ games, and I accept as a KQ game.

But, the biggest problem was the game was so damned buggy. The game crashes easily, and when it does, it dumps all the loaded content. So when you reload your save, it has to load all the level content again.

When it works, the levels are preloaded, so it loads fairly quickly. But since its so easy to crash the game, you have to suffer the load times too often.

If someone could patch it to fix those problems, it would be alot more approachable.
  • edited March 2011
    I never played, but it does look like a fun game in its own right. I should track it down and give it a try.
  • edited March 2011
    I liked it quite a bit. At the time, it was one of the best looking games out there. The dynamic lighting in particular made it look quite pretty for an early Voodoo-fueled game. I certainly got lost in the game world, in a good way, and thoroughly enjoyed the game. I recognize how different it is than the others, but it definitely stood on its own merits for me. I both like it and accept it as a KQ game, though admittedly it doesn't quite hold the special place in my heart that the graphic adventures do.

However, I definitely think it could have been better. Even if no elements of the gameplay itself changed, the loading issues were atrocious. That was a major design flaw that never should have made it out the door.
  • edited March 2011
    I never played, but it does look like a fun game in its own right. I should track it down and give it a try.
    GOG.com is the best bet.
  • edited March 2011
    Valiento wrote: »
    GOG.com is the best bet.

Yeah I got a copy from there and after adjusting the graphics mode it works perfectly on Windows 7 64 bit.
  • edited March 2011
    I like it and consider it an official KQ game. It obviously could have been better, seeing as Roberta didn't get her full vision realised, but it's a decent game. I like it. I still have to play it all the way through, actually.
  • edited March 2011
    I'll just copy paste what I said in your another MoE thread:
    While I agree that it would have been better game if it was pure old school adventure, I would rather see new adventures of Connor than remake of MoE. MoE is enjoyable game even with it's flaws. Personally I think that MoE had three big flaws:

1. Lack of puzzles, although couple of puzzles which were included were good ones and took some thinking before I solved them. Game would have been more enjoyable with more puzzles.

2. Fighting. I don't oppose it per se, but if you include fighting you should make it challenging. In MoE even the "boss monsters" are ridiculously easy to kill.

3. Lands have too much empty space and running around becomes quite tedious soon. Some of the lands were interesting and I would have wished to see more interaction in there, rather than just killing the monsters and trying to find few items which allow you to pass into the next land.

PS: Out of curiosity I must ask, why you create several threads which have very similar topics?
  • edited March 2011
    An potentially good game concept, but ultimately failed due to trying to be King's Quest and not being an idea specifically tailored for a 3D Puzzle-RPG game. I actually did enjoy the game, but it isn't King's Quest. I mourn what it could have been if it was seperated from King's Quest.
  • edited March 2011
    My opinion is that it stands on its own as a great side story and would have made a great start to a series of other stories of other exceptional citizens of Daventry. Call it like "Tales of Daventry" or "King's Quest: Daventry's Stories" or something similar.
  • edited March 2011
    Forgive me for being boring, but I have to again just say that I really dig the title Tales of Daventry. It has a great ring to it.

(Probably a magical one.)
  • edited March 2011
    Ugh.....no thanks.
  • edited March 2011
    Be honest - would you say that if Tales of Monkey Island was called something else?
  • edited March 2011
    Be honest - would you say that if Tales of Monkey Island was called something else?

Maybe. But it just sounds as old as King Grahams cool game for attractive people (but Cedric can play too)
  • edited March 2011
    King's Quest is not Monkey Island.
  • edited March 2011
    King's Quest is not Monkey Island.

Tales is quite common word in the titles. It's not limited just to Monkey Island franchise. Other examples are The Canterbury Tales, DuckTales, Tales from the Crypt, Tales from Earthsea etc. But maybe you would prefer other words in the title, like Legends of Daventry or something like that. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah I think anything with "Tales" in it would immediately make me a bit more apprehensive just because that immediately sounds like the game's been simplified to be more of an interactive story.
  • edited March 2011
    Strange, for me the word has just the right feel. These are storybook or fairy tale games, after all. Of course, anyone not keen on it is welcome to offer alternatives. :p

It seems silly to dismiss a title only because the word "Tales" appears in the title of the Monkey Island episodic. (If that is one's reason.)
  • edited March 2011
    I enjoyed King's Quest 8. It could have been better and would have loved to seen it remade as an adventure game by some of the independent fandevs out there.

That having been said. I've always considered it King's Quest 8. It's good for what it is.
  • edited March 2011
    Strange, for me the word has just the right feel. These are storybook or fairy tale games, after all. Of course, anyone not keen on it is welcome to offer alternatives. :p

It seems silly to dismiss a title only because the word "Tales" appears in the title of the Monkey Island episodic. (If that is one's reason.)

Using the same prefix in the title as Monkey Island sends completely the wrong message, first of all. Secondly, what wilco said.
  • edited March 2011
    To this day even thinking about King's Quest 8 makes me angry. Without a doubt one of the worst game I have ever played and easily the worst sequel ever made to one of my favorite franchises. I have yet to hear people make even one convincing case for a way in which this game doesn't fail miserably.
  • edited March 2011
    Roivas wrote: »
    To this day even thinking about King's Quest 8 makes me angry. Without a doubt one of the worst game I have ever played and easily the worst sequel ever made to one of my favorite franchises. I have yet to hear people make even one convincing case for a way in which this game doesn't fail miserably.

Tis true it sprang not from noble stock, but it's resolve was true and it's challenge was clear...

While it lacked the King's Quest theme song, I did think the game had good music. I definitely don't think it's the worst game I ever played. That distinction probably goes to Phantasmagoria 2.
  • edited March 2011
    G.byrne wrote: »
    Tis true it sprang not from noble stock, but it's resolve was true and it's challenge was clear...

While it lacked the King's Quest theme song, I did think the game had good music. I definitely don't think it's the worst game I ever played. That distinction probably goes to Phantasmagoria 2.

There is no real KQ theme song....
    KQI (original) and KQII use Greensleeves.
    KQIII, KQIV and KQI SCI have their own distinct themes
    KQV, KQVI AND KQVII use different variations of the same theme.
  • edited March 2011
    KQI (original) and KQII use Greensleeves

Greensleeves is so great that even it's PC speaker version is good. :D

I have version of Greensleeves on CD where they use renaissance English lyrics and old instruments. That's truly a beautiful song.
  • edited March 2011
    There is no real KQ theme song....
    KQI (original) and KQII use Greensleeves.
    KQIII, KQIV and KQI SCI have their own distinct themes
    KQV, KQVI AND KQVII use different variations of the same theme.

I like the title roll from KQV and VI. AGDI reused it for their remakes of the first three games.
  • edited March 2011
    Greensleeves is so great that even it's PC speaker version is good. :D

I have version of Greensleeves on CD where they use reneissance English lyrics and old instruments. That's truly a beautiful song.

If anything, Greensleeves should've been the theme for the series, used in every game. The KQ Companion states that it's the official theme of King Graham's court--a nice touch IMO.
  • edited March 2011
    Greensleeves would have been fine back in the day, but it'd be pretty tacky now. Kind of like how wearing green clothes that say "kiss me, i'm irish" while drinking a shit ton of beer on St. Patrick's day is tacky. That's how I feel at least.
  • edited March 2011
    I think a nod to Greensleaves to be found as easter eggs would have been a nice touch. I wouldn't have wanted to see it as an 'intro' song in every game... Seriously KQ4 probably had the best introduction music in the entire series, and it was original.

For that matter Greensleaves only appeared on certain versions of the KQ games as far as I know. KQ1 for example had at least two different intro music depending on the system it was played on.
  • edited March 2011
    I always strongly disliked this game, not a fan of this 'genre' in general and of course being a KQ game made my impression of it even much worse.

The controls are clumsy, really long loading times between worlds (where it copies and deletes files)... really annoying game in my opinion.
    And the storyline is very uninteresting as well.
  • edited July 2011
    Anyone else here like KQ8 and actually consider it a KQ game?
    Personally, I'll go on record as saying I wish the series had continued in the direction of KQ8.
  • edited July 2011
    Yep.
  • edited July 2011
    No... BUT I do not hate it either.... I didn't like it because it was so different from what KQ was.. the game by itself was OK...
  • edited July 2011
    I would have liked to have seen some more traditional-type puzzles in it (and odds are we would have had just that if Roberta had had full control the entire time), but it was a fun experience. A little lighter on the combat and a little more on the exploration and it would have been even better. I liked the stray direction myself.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah... that is sort of how I feel... if they had tried a little harder it could have been amazing... Keep in mind The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time came out the same year so making an amazing game with action, puzzles, and exploration was not out of reach at the time.

I know that comparison is a little unfair.. but lets be honest that is pretty much what Sierra was going for at the time.
  • edited July 2011
    Yes, I liked KQ8 and would have been fine with the continuation of the series as action-adventure. It would have been better as a truer hybrid, with a little more puzzle-solving gameplay relative to combat.

Third-person games in real-time 3D were still young back then, there was a lot of experimentation, eg. in gameplay conventions and how the user controlled character and camera, etc. KQ8 had some nice innovations in this regard, but also had some flaws. I believe Sierra, if they had continued to thrive, could have contributed to the development of the genre and made subsequent games better, perhaps becoming comfortable enough to bring back some of the earlier KQ "feel" and "lightness" to subsequent games.

(Incidentally, I feel the same way about Indiana Jones -- I'm glad LA transitioned that series to action-adventure and wish they would continue it.)
  • edited July 2011
    Actually, if Roberta hd had her full control it may have turned into an Massive Multiplayer Adventure-RPG. Based on some comments she made in interviews. That could have been worse...
  • edited July 2011
    If you say so. Sierra was always ahead of their time with innovative ideas. Were there even MMO's in 98? There were very very few if any. Which means they'd have no real model to copy from. Which means THEY would have invented what an MMO would be. Which means MMO's might have been much different than the boring talk-man-find-objective puzzles they are today.
  • edited July 2011
    Ultima Online was king in 98, I think. King of a two-mmo nation.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.