What's Mr. Purcell Doing?

2»

Comments

• FlyFly
    edited March 2011
    Mmm, good points. Part of the appeal of Sam and Max's style is that it really has no target audience other than itself. You get parodies of children's educational bumpers and of the opening of Space 1999; you get references to 70s exploitation movies in the same breath as references to American Idol and H.P. Lovecraft. As it is, everyone watching it is vaguely uncomfortable and Sam and Max should be vaguely uncomfortable.

I'm sure there could be a good Pixar movie about a couple of animal detectives going on aesthetically noirish madcap adventures; it just wouldn't be a good Sam and Max movie.
  • edited March 2011
    I know its pointless to argue with Purcell about his own characters, but I think that Pixar would be able to make a really smart and entertaining version of Sam and Max... I see no reason why it would be less of a fit than the animated cartoon that was already made.
  • edited March 2011
    and if they do it rung then we can call it Pixar sham
  • edited March 2011
    kane wrote: »
    And, if they do it wrong, we can blame it on Pixar.

I would actually blame the MPAA, but blaming Pixar might work as well.
  • edited March 2011
    I wouldn't blame Pixar, I'd blame Disney. They are ripe with things to be blamed for already so adding one more thing to list isn't to much of a big deal. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    To answer the question from his blog he is currently working on Brave, and not Cars 2.
  • edited March 2011
    They want to prove that animation is art, and that you can feel for a cartoon character just as much as you can a live actor.

I actually, I got pretty emotional during the Devil's Playhouse. It completely turned Sam and Max upside down with its story, Sam losing his strongest friendship on multiple occasions. You really feel the grief Sam is going through when Max had died.
  • mDtmDt
    edited March 2011
    to answer the question from his blog he is currently working on brave, and not cars 2.

bullet dodged.
  • edited April 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Steve needs to convince those PIXAR kids that Sam and Max would make an excellent film.

in live action movie? (maybe?)
  • edited April 2011
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    in live action movie? (maybe?)

Uhhh NO!
    Thats a terrible idea.
  • edited April 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Uhhh NO!
    Thats a terrible idea.

but pixar guys don't have a live action movie before (not on wall-e movie but the other live action movies),
    homestar_seriously.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    Maybe Dreamworks could do it, but only if Sanders and DeBois do it. After all, those two guys totally redeemed DW with Dragon.
    It's a shame that they got kicked out of Pixar, but it's business. It happens all the time.

Or for some reason I think that a Sam and Max movie could be done in a more European fashion. After all, non-american animation is always more risky and controversial. And that's what makes it so interesting.
  • edited April 2011
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    but pixar guys don't have a live action movie before (not on wall-e movie but the other live action movies)

That's because they're an animation studio. That's like saying that McDonald's should start serving pizza because they've never done it before. It doesn't make sense.
  • edited April 2011
    That's because they're an animation studio. That's like saying that McDonald's should start serving pizza because they've never done it before. It doesn't make sense.

It does NOT MAKE SENSE.

chewbacca.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    dreamworks only makes shitty movies now
  • edited April 2011
    That's like saying that McDonald's should start serving pizza because they've never done it before. It doesn't make sense.

Oh really?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7nb52jpvCJSQpEdcHds-wyFkhO45xx7m6NlxGVqsgizyWl7Gugg
  • edited April 2011
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Oh really?

Oh god. This is a sign of the apocalypse. No doubt about it.
  • edited April 2011
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Oh really?

You have no idea how long I spent trying to think up a simile that didn't make sense in the same way as Pixar making a live action movie. And you just ruined it. I hope you're happy.
  • edited April 2011
    They want to prove that animation is art, and that you can feel for a cartoon character just as much as you can a live actor.

I think they can fly the "Mission Accomplished" banner after the first 10 minutes of UP. I've yet to talk to anyone who didn't at least get watery eyes from that.

For the record I loved Cars, not their best work but it was still damned good in my book. I still, however, wish they'd have refrained from making a second one. Same with Monster's Inc (as I'm hearing rumors about a second one) the first one ended very cleanly. The monsters switch to using laughter as a power source and in the end Sully gets the ability to see Boo again. Everybody wins, no need for a sequel.
  • edited April 2011
    There probably wasn't a need for a sequel to Toy Story either but those turned out pretty good. It's like Pixar says, if the story needs telling, they'll do it.
  • edited April 2011
    They're actually going to do a Monsters, Inc. prequel about Mike and Sully meeting in college.

Kind of weird, but at least they won't try putting anything after the first movie's ending.
  • edited April 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    Since Telltale started, Steve's day job has been at Pixar. That's where he probably is most of the time to this very day. And/or he's kept in storage in the mystery space bonus office hidden in the back of our real office.

God I hate Pixar, I hate them so very very much. But that's to be expected of someone literally raised on dark comedies with swearing, dick jokes, gay jokes, funny violence, & other vulgarities.

Anyway, I've been to his Sam & Max blog & he would occasionally say stuff about still trying to rerelease the old unfinished/canceled games that were worked on prior to TellTale taking over the reigns as well as pondering over ideas for Sam & Max merchandise.

You know, it would probably get him a little amped up if more people would visit & leave comments: http://samandmaxblog.blogspot.com/
  • edited May 2011
    ^
    pixar is using a little more edgy humor these days.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.