"Alexander pulls out his magic map..." (Quotes thread)

edited April 2011 in Kings Quest Game
"Alexander pulls out his magic map..."

I think it's about time the King's Quest board had a memorable/favorite quotes thread.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I guess I'll go ahead and do it "Graham watch out! a POOOOOISONOUS snake!" - Cedric
  • edited March 2011
    "Look, Graham, a boat! Maybe we can UUUUUUUUUUUUSSSE it!"
  • edited March 2011
    Haha those KQV quotes are awesome. Anyone see Paw's LP on Youtube?

How about, "Zounds!" or "Razzle Dazzle Snap and Snazzle, send a ball of light to Frazzle!"
  • edited March 2011
    "'Tis Empteh."

"'Tis beyond my reach!"
  • edited March 2011

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...sigh *wipes tear*...that was fantastic.
  • edited March 2011
    "Alexander feels a strange, pulling sensation."
  • edited March 2011
    "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

(from King's Quest 5)
  • edited March 2011
    Daventry wrote: »
    Haha those KQV quotes are awesome. Anyone see Paw's LP on Youtube?

Paw's Let's Play was hilarious. And his current series of King's Quest retrospective videos has been great.
  • edited March 2011
    KatieHal wrote: »

(from King's Quest 5)

I loved how when you fell only a short distance it would abruptly cut the scream off with a splat sound.
  • edited March 2011
    Yes! And it dragged out even longer if it was a really long drop :)
  • edited March 2011
    I loved how when you fell only a short distance it would abruptly cut the scream off with a splat sound.

I liked how just falling an extremely small distance would kill you.
    Like on Mordack's island.
    Hemophilia I guess from all that inbred noble blood?

-Alexander drowns-
    Narrator: "Nothing like getting swept off your feet!"

This game MUST have humorous death messages.
  • edited March 2011
    Is it wrong that I would have done almost anything for once, just once, instead of the narrator saying "Alexander pulls out his magic map," Alex himself said "Excuse me while I whip this out"?

Seriously, if there's a magic map system in the Telltale game, tribute MUST be paid to Blazing Saddles.
  • edited March 2011
    "Alexander has no need to carry around large rocks."

"And I assure you, that you won't be gettin' past me, withooout proof!"
    KatieHal wrote: »

(from King's Quest 5)

Hahaha, yea I used to talk to my friend about how this was the only example of good acting in the game.

We used to joke about there being an outtakes movie. You would see the Cedric voice actor saying "WHOOOOOOOOOO, Graham, watch out...." and the director comes in yelling "CUT, CUT, CUT!" The voice actor, now with his real, deep, scratchy voice, snaps "what the F--K was wrong with that!?"
  • edited March 2011
    A few from the top of my head here -

"DYING for a drink, Graham?" (har har! :p :D)

"Life giving water. Nectar of the gods. Graham can now feel strenght and rejuvenation flowing through him" (paraphrased, been a while since I played the game... but for some reason this line seems to stay in my head forever, maybe because it's so cheesy).
  • edited March 2011
    A poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake. A poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake. A poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake. A poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake. A poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake. A poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake.

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQsEEtJw48
  • edited March 2011
    "That old witch caught Graham toadally off guard."
  • edited March 2011
    "That old witch caught Graham toadally off guard."

Haha, great one thesporkman! Haha it's so cheesy but awesome at the same time.

That reminds me, I really loved the witch's cackling to herself. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
  • edited March 2011
    yes.
  • edited March 2011
    What I want to share is not exactly a quote ...
    I'm new comer to the series and I'm playing the original version of KQ1 for now, and what's stuck in my mind for the small time I played the game is not a quote, but a sound effect, the one that you hear after dying:
    "Dun, dun, da dun, dan duh dun dah dun dah da.. Di di din du did dun! Din!"

I just *love* how serious it begins and then transforms into a loony tunes like goofy music!
  • edited March 2011
    I can't remember the exact quote but it had something to do with a Graham cracker. I thought that was a good one from King's Quest I. "Looks like you had a bad fall this spring" from King's Quest I from AGD Interactive was funny too. There are a few death messages from King's Quest VI that I remember. "Don't just wander, Alexander. Let your conscience be your guide." "Genie, meenie, miney mo. Alexander can't be slow." "Feeling hot and sweaty? Try a shower."
  • edited March 2011
    "You have slipped down the muddy bank and lodged in the river's bed. Good knight."
  • edited March 2011
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    What I want to share is not exactly a quote ...
    I'm new comer to the series and I'm playing the original version of KQ1 for now, and what's stuck in my mind for the small time I played the game is not a quote, but a sound effect, the one that you hear after dying:
    "Dun, dun, da dun, dan duh dun dah dun dah da.. Di di din du did dun! Din!"

I just *love* how serious it begins and then transforms into a loony tunes like goofy music!

Reminds me of climbing up the steps on the cliff in KQ6. Dun-dun...dun-dun...dun-dun-dun-dun...dun-DUN..."WHOA...wait a minute!"
  • edited March 2011
    4:35
    This out of place death message should become a meme.
    I also remember 'well well well, water you going to do now?'
    In King's Quest II+, when you try to push the witch to the cauldron: 'Did you really think this would work a second time?' and when you enter the cave while there is a trap: 'You saw black glow, you did not slow. Turned not away, you've had your day.
    Also, almost anything said by the dwarf in KQII+. 'Yess, how kind of you to recognise me!' 'I went a little hungrry last night. But I'm willing to fergive!' 'What? Yeh fool!'
    And in the end of the game, after Caldaur says something nice about Graham - Dwarf: 'Hmmpf.' Librarian: 'Shhhh!'
  • edited March 2011
    If you get too close to a mound of ants in KQ5...

Cedric: Hoo, is that a new dance, Graham? The bug-a-looooo?
  • edited March 2011
    I liked some of the graveyard epitaphs in KQ7, I know it probably sounds morbid, but my favorite was, "The Sorrowful Marjory Pratt liked to wail on the cliffs with her cat, one night such a pity, she tripped on her kitty and fell off the cliff with a splat."
  • edited March 2011
    Daventry wrote: »
    How about, "Zounds!" "

That's one of my favorites!

A Yeti!
  • edited March 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    If you get too close to a mound of ants in KQ5...

Cedric: Hoo, is that a new dance, Graham? The bug-a-looooo?
    And still on Cedric - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64wDQJLWMQ
  • edited March 2011
    I love a lot of the dialogue from Mask of Eternity (quoted by at least G.Byrne on this forum). Makes me smile. :)

"Whence came this foul tempest?" indeed. :D
  • edited March 2011
    Sslaxx wrote: »

I liked the video from the start, but it totally won when it showed Snake Man, Quest for Glory 3, and Solid Snake.
  • edited March 2011
    one question: If the voice acting in KQ5 was so horrible as everyone seems to state why are there so many great KQ5-quotes in this thread? (I have given the answer to myself in the KQ6 overrated thread already but I just want to know what you think)
  • edited March 2011
    Well, yes, they are memorable once you manage to understand the voices, but there were also many silly lines in there which people remember, such as the quote I posted before and highly recommend you to watch.
  • edited March 2011
    Sarendor wrote: »
    Well, yes, they are memorable once you manage to understand the voices, but there were also many silly lines in there which people remember, such as the quote I posted before and highly recommend you to watch.
    by the way:

if you add
    #t=4m35s
    to your link....

this happens.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks! Updated it.
  • edited March 2011
    Lamp peddler in KQ6-"Old lamps for new! Old lamps....for new."

My dad still quotes that line mainly because I played KQ6 so much. lol

Another favorite is the riddle given by the underworld gate in KQ6

"My first is foremost legally, my second circles outwardly, my third leads all in victory, my fourth twice ends a nominee, my whole is this gate's only key."

Narrator after Alexander gets put in the cage on the isle of the mist with enchanted lamp-"Something's really percolating!"
  • edited March 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    If the voice acting in KQ5 was so horrible as everyone seems to state why are there so many great KQ5-quotes in this thread?

Because dialogue writing and voice acting are two completely different things, perhaps?

Anyway, I have many, many quotes from the series I love dearly, but the two I quote more than any are KQ4's "The skeleton of an unfortunate man (Let's call him James)...", and of course, KQ6's "Ye Gads! Is that cold!"
  • edited March 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    one question: If the voice acting in KQ5 was so horrible as everyone seems to state why are there so many great KQ5-quotes in this thread? (I have given the answer to myself in the KQ6 overrated thread already but I just want to know what you think)

It's fun in a campy way. Cedric's voice actor is terrible, but it's just so ridiculous that it's hilarious in retrospect. Same with Graham, etc.
  • edited March 2011
    JuntMonkey wrote: »
    Cedric's voice actor is terrible, but it's just so ridiculous that it's hilarious in retrospect.
    What's really hilarious is that Richard Aronson also voiced Count Caldaur, a far more serious and impressive role, in AGDI's version of KQ2...plus Cedric once again in a humorous little easter egg cameo.
  • edited March 2011
    Any time in KQ7 when had Valanice look at something and all she did was say "Hmmm...." Also some of those death messages coming from Captain Obvious "I hate that Gargoyle, maybe next time I should stay away from it...."
Sign in to comment in this discussion.