Reprint the KQ Companion!

I figured since this forum does occaisonally get the eyes of TT's staff, who are in contact/under contract with Activision, I'd figured I'd say it here: The KQ Companion should really get a reprint. It's been out of print since 1997 or so and the available copies are slowly dwindling. It's a great resource for KQ fans and make for good, short fantasy novels even beside the KQ connection.

Surely would be a good tie-in with a relaunch of KQ, no?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Copies are not really that hard to come by. But I think the best option and to save trees would be to turn it into an e-book for Kindle and what not. They should that for all the Sierra novels and guides.
  • edited March 2011
    How about the four Kings Quest novels as well, I hear they're really cheesy :D

I actually have all of them but I've never felt like actually reading any :p
  • edited March 2011
    There are only three KQ novels, actually. They are essentially standard high fantasy material. Nothing great, but not terrible either. Just fun reads. I wouldn't really call them "cheesy", except maybe SNW, but it was intentially written to be a bit 'silly'.

I think those should get the Kindle treatment as well.
  • edited March 2011
    Armakuni wrote: »
    How about the four Kings Quest novels as well, I hear they're really cheesy :D

I actually have all of them but I've never felt like actually reading any :p

Yeah, like Valiento said, it's just The Floating Castle, Kingdom of Sorrow, and See No Weevil. And hey, if you don't want them, I'll take 'em off your hands.
  • edited March 2011
    Had to go check now, I was feeling so certain there were four :o
    I must have gotten it mixed up with something else... but you're right, I only have three.

And a lot of other probably really bad novels, such as Shadow Warrior and Doom ones :D

I should read the Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight ones someday, though.
    I have way too many books for someone who doesn't read much :p
  • edited March 2011
    I have the three novels and the KQ companion, I also have the official book of King's Quest: Daventry and beyond... the one with all the crossword puzzles to get the answers to game puzzles and the parts you have to hold up to a mirror and read... there are also some awesome color photos in the back.

While we are on the topic I also have the official book of Leisure suit Larry and The Space Quest Companion.

here is a little trivia.. have you ever noticed that all three KQ novels share the same exact UPC barcode and number with one another AND with the Star Wars book Young Jedi Knights: delusions of grandeur... I know because I scanned it with my windows phone and it came up as that Star Wars book and I went into my storage shed pulled out the dusty tote that book was in and sure enough all four have the same code.
  • edited March 2011
    The back of the KQ novels actually even advertise the Young Jedi Knights books in the back.

Other books that would be interesting to get Kindle editions would be the Gabriel Knight Novels, and the GK2 Hintbook (which was also written as a novel). There is also the Official Guide to Roger Wilco's Space Adventures (which contains novels). There is also the Police Quest Casebook, and the Official Book of Police Quest (both contain novels based on PQ games). There is also the Quest for Glory: Authorized Guide (contains novels).

Also many of the small Sierra hintbooks also contained alot of interesting material.
  • edited March 2011
    years ago I had little hintbooks for KQ5 and 6 they had the little red plastic bits to see the answers ... I bet they are still in my mom's attic.
  • edited March 2011
    KQ5 Hintbook had the red magic viewer system.

KQ6 didn't btw, it was straight black and white text.

KQ6 hintbook was filled with excellent behind the scenes information, and a neat essay by Lorelei Shannon, summarising the games.

Most of the scans are here. It's missing some of the AGI books, and maybe one for KQ1 remake (did sierra make one for that game?).
  • edited March 2011
    You're probably right its just been years since I have looked at them.
  • edited March 2011
    If they did even HALF as good of a job as they did with Surfin' the Highway's reprint, it would be the greatest reprint released since Surfin' the Highway.
  • edited March 2011
    I think I also have a couple of those very old hintbooks, but I'm not sure exactly where they are... haven't seen them in years :(

Anyway, this thread made me go look at some of my old books, took a few pictures of the ones I have available in the closet here, the other ones are buried too deep behind a lot of other stuff in a bigger closet.

th_gk.jpg th_kq.jpg th_tex.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    I repeat; if you don't want them, I'll take them.
  • edited March 2011
    I think I'll keep them, I might read them someday.

And for some reason I like having Sierra stuff even if I'm not using it :p
  • edited March 2011
    Sierra books appeal even to people who never read them! :p
  • edited March 2011
    These are a few of the Sierra books I actually have in my house... I think I have some old hint books at my mothers in storage from when I was a kid.

dsc0276u.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    I'd like to find the KQ and SQ companions, and the novels :). Probably no information in them that I don't already know, but it would be cool as a fan.
  • edited March 2011
    I have walkthrough guide/novels for the first four QFG games. http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Glory-Authorized-Strategy-Guide/dp/1559581581They are actually pretty well told. I always wondered if they did something similar to the rest of the games sierra made.
  • edited March 2011
    techie775 wrote: »
    I have walkthrough guide/novels for the first four QFG games. http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Glory-Authorized-Strategy-Guide/dp/1559581581They are actually pretty well told. I always wondered if they did something similar to the rest of the games sierra made.

Yeah that is one I didn't have yet.... BOUGHT IT!! I think the only one left would be the Police Quest one.

**edit**
    never mind bought that too.... for $0.75
  • edited March 2011
    Lol. Nice work.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah that is one I didn't have yet.... BOUGHT IT!! I think the only one left would be the Police Quest one.
    There are actually like two novelized books for police quest. The Official Book of apolice Quest and the Police Quest Casebook.

One is pretty straight adaptation of the game suitable as a walkthrough. The other one reinterprets the stories changes order of events and adds scenes not seen in the games, not as useful as a walkthrough.

The former was written by the same author who did the Official Guide to Roger Wilco (not to be confused with the Space Quest Companion).
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »

**edit**
    never mind bought that too.... for $0.75

Nice. I never regretted getting it.
  • edited March 2011
    I used to have one of the REALLY old KQ hintbooks that used the "magic marker" system (actually a yellow highlighter) to reveal the answers.
  • edited March 2011
    That's pretty cool to have... I wish I had some of those really old ones myself... especially annoying as years and years ago, in my very early teens, I actually had a few of them... but that was before I really started collecting Sierra games and such... so I didn't really value them much at all, and as such - they're lost :(
    Really have no idea where they are now, probably gone when moving to a new place or something like that.
  • edited March 2011
    The pen was actually a decoder marker not a highlighted it contained a chemical solution that could reveal invisible ink.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.