Surfin the Highway Reprint news!

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
Hey check this out from Lois Buhalis..who has done the lettering for all our favorite Sam & Max comics.. From the lois buhalis live journal blog!
Sunday was more of the same. I had wanted to see the Sam and Max panel, which was about the internet game mostly, so I could see Steve Purcell, who I think I haven't seen in about 10 years or so. It was a really interesting panel, and good to check in with Steve. There are still some unfinished Sam & Max pages and I might get to letter them! They'd probably go into the soon-to-be-released reprint collection.

http://lois2037.livejournal.com/56902.html

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Nice find!
  • edited March 2007
    ah awesome... i heard there was meant to be an interview or something anwering the reprint that was soon to be put on the telltale site. So hope this is still not some far away release that will take more years for it t be released. I kinda hope he releases the reprint first then finishes his webcomic and releases that later not the other way around. But from the sounds of the talk i heard it could go this way.

If we get a reprint with some extra material as promised (he he) and the webcomic released as a book i'm so gonna die from ultra happiness. We've had so much in the way of great sam and max material over this year and having this would be the icing on the cake.
  • edited March 2007
    Cool! I would love a reprint of surfin the highway! Very interesting news
  • edited March 2007
    *Starts to shake uncontrollably*

--Erwin
  • BasBas
    edited March 2007
    This is... I need this. Yes, I need this badly.
  • edited March 2007
    That would be so awsome! :D
  • edited March 2007
    Well... That certainly got my attention.
  • edited March 2007
    Is this a reprint of one of the comic books? How many Sam & Max comic books have their been anyway?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    There have really only been 3 full length issues, and a few shorts...

The first full issue contained the "Monkeys Violating the Heavenly Temple" story, along with a short introducing Mack Salmon and Commander Blip and the Rubber Pants Commandos. I think this issue also included Fizzball, and "Getting Along in the Joint," a one-page Sam & Max special about how to make a realistic looking machine gun out of some soap and shoe polish.

The second one, if I remember correctly, mostly contains "On The Road," a two part story about Sam and Max taking a random road trip across America. This comic was vaguely the inspiration for Sam & Max Hit the Road, though it has only a few direct similarities (there's a circus with a Cone of Tragedy, and there's a near stop in Stuckey's, but in On The Road, they spend most of their time being waylayed by corporate businessmen turned pirates, fixing their car, visiting a mall, and dealing with hideous demons who leap through the windshield and strangle Max in his sleep... no Bigfoots, Largest Balls of Twine, Mystery Vortexes, etc).

The third comic's main attraction is Bad Day On The Moon, where Sam and Max go to the moon, finding it populated with a city full of human sized talking rats. They stop a hold-up in a convenience store, and then somehow end up on the dark side of the moon, which is apparently a city full of 2 story high cockroaches which live in old egg packages and cereal boxes the size of buildings. There are a few other short comics in this issue as well... I think for instance this issue contains "Fair Wind to Java," a short comic in which Sam and Max end up in ancient Egypt, and pants an alien to humiliate him, ending his pyramid-building tyrannical reign on the ancient Egyptians.

Sam and Max also appeared in one-page comics printed in the quarterly (or sometimes bi-annually) LucasArts "Adventurer" magazine throughout the early-mid '90s, where in each story the duo would find themselves in the universe of LucasArts' latest release (or some Steve Purcell-esque approximation thereof). For instance, when Full Throttle came out, there was a story starring the two of them as bikers riding through the desert. They went into the Star Wars universe a couple times as well (which includes one of my favorite Sam quips, mentioning that it was good that the Rebel PX had cloaks in husky boys sizes).

Other than that there have been a few random one- to five-page short stories that have appeared in various comic anthologies and digests, and places like Fox Kids magazine.

All of the stories and shorts up until 1995 were in a compilation called "Sam & Max: Surfin the Highway," which is the book this thread is about. Surfin the Highway is extremely rare at this point, and has sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars. A reprint (especially one that included the various shorts and mini-stories that Sam & Max have appeared in in the 12 years between 1995 and now) would make many fans (including me) very happy!

Hey, I just wrote a lot!
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    Jake wrote:
    Hey, I just wrote a lot!

It's a Jake post (complete with edits). :D

I'd love a reprint too. I wonder what a reprint would do to the value of the original Surfin' the Highway books?
    edited March 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    I wonder what a reprint would do to the value of the original Surfin' the Highway books?

Hopefully nothing too important :P I'd much rather see people able to easily read the comics than see ebayers make a huge markup at the expense of those same people.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    I agree wholeheartedly. :) Sam & Max for the masses!
  • edited March 2007
    If this turns out to be true...

*GLEE*
  • edited March 2007
    Permission to weep openly, sir.
  • edited March 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Permission to weep openly, sir.

Not just granted, but encouraged!

Please tell me you guys at TTG will have some copies available in the TTStore. I hate trying to buy things off of Amazon or eBay let alone searching for something like this at comic stores that have been run over by those kids playing whatever popular card game is going on right now.
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks for the info Jake! Hmmmm, yes, I now see why the reprint would be good...

-commences drooling-

I don't think the reprint would drive the value of the original print below $100 or so because the originals would still be rare. Hopefully we'll get to actually see what happends anyway!
  • edited March 2007
    Just for sh!ts and giggles, I checked half.com to check pricing and saw the cheapest book going for $150 (and the most expensive one going for over $700).

Please reprint Surfin' the Highway!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Hopefully nothing too important :P I'd much rather see people able to easily read the comics than see ebayers make a huge markup at the expense of those same people.

Maybe I should trick Steve into signing my copy, and then sell it on eBay.

Would that be wrong? :p
  • edited March 2007
    No, that would be a good idea. :p
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    This is off topic (kind of) but it just occured to me that Sam & Max sort of remind me of the Blues Brothers (Elwood (tall, deadpan)-Sam, Jake (kind of manic)-Max, their converted cop car-the DeSoto) or am I just smoking something*?

*or potentially steal this idea from someone else?
  • edited March 2007
    This is off topic (kind of) but it just occured to me that Sam & Max sort of remind me of the Blues Brothers (Elwood (tall, deadpan)-Sam, Jake (kind of manic)-Max, their converted cop car-the DeSoto) or am I just smoking something*?

Yeah, I clearly see a resemblance. I mean, who could possibly drive a car through an entire mall, wreck the place, and drive away as if nothing had happened? Well, it's either Sam & Max or the Blues brothers. :cool:

(And by the way, if there is a reprint, I shall dance like I've seldom danced before.)
  • edited March 2007

LOL You are probaby right. Purcell maybe based Sam and Max loosely on the Blues Brothers, but who knows? I hope you are right, though since I can see it. This reminds me of something. I realized that whenever someone finds references in a computer game, the popular ones are usually accepted and the obscure ones are discarded as laughable. Sorry, but I am going to rant, but not about your findings, mel, but about something somewhat unrelated, regarding references in video games.

One of my pet peeves about video game references is that whoever owns a fansite has more power over their content and references they make, no matter how ridiculous it is, gets mention while another reference, though noticeable, gets rejected for being "obscure" as in the webmaster never hearing the original source material.

I had found one reference in Space Quest 1 vga where one of the robots is a parody of an obscure (in the US), but popular anime mech from an anime/manga series, which resulted in me being laughed at despite showing evidence. I think I tried three times and the third time, I forunately convince some of the mods there to put it on their reference page since I had side by side evidences that it was a parody. But still, I had to fight for it.

However, I seen other references that seems far fetched that was mentioned as reference. For example, on sq wiki, it is said that Professor Lloyd in Space Quest IV is possibily a reference to Christoper Loyd because of the name and that Christoper played a scientist in Back to the Future. Other than that, there is no similarity. I mean, wtf? LOL
  • edited March 2007
    Emily wrote: »

Not really. However, if you have a crap load of signed copies of the comic on ebay, then maybe. It depends on the feelings of Steve, your co workers, and the bbs users here. If you don't care how we feel, then go on ahead.

I realize once the reprint comes out, you guys can hold a contest that hands out free signed copys of surfing the highway. That would be cool.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    doom saber wrote:
    LOL You are probaby right. Purcell maybe based Sam and Max loosely on the Blues Brothers, but who knows? I hope you are right, though since I can see it.

I wasn't saying that I thought The Blues Brothers were Purcell's inspiration (not that it would really matter) but it was just one of those weird connections my brain makes (parts of that movie are so burned in my brain - it's no surprise :p).
  • edited March 2007
    *Starts to shake uncontrollably, But is sincerely sorry to copy Erwin*
  • edited March 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    LOL You are probaby right. Purcell maybe based Sam and Max loosely on the Blues Brothers, but who knows? I hope you are right, though since I can see it.

If I'm not mistaken, Purcell started drawing Sam & Max in the late 70's, and the Blues Brothers came out in 1980.
  • edited March 2007
    Weren't they on SNL well before the movie?
  • edited March 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Weren't they on SNL well before the movie?

yup, in 1978
  • edited March 2007
    Assuming this book has slightly different content from the original, possibly even a different title, it should have no impact whatsoever on the value of the originals, except that new fans will no longer be "forced" to buy the old one off eBay.

The Blues Brothers existed before the movie, but much of their persona, including that which is similar to Sam & Max, wasn't established until the movie came out. In their first appearance, they didn't even have their trademark suits, I think. ...If I ever have my own TV show or game, I'll make a point to be straightforward about mentioning when something is a pop culture reference, most likely in the director's commentary. :D
    Emily wrote: »

Trick him? How? Tell him it's a petition against tentacles?*

*this is a pop culture reference
    edited March 2007

There are a lot of Blues Brothers similarities... in addition to the personalities of Elwood/Jake and Sam/Max and the dilapidated cop car thing, there's also the shared fascination with exploring and reveling in the seedy underbelly of America, peppering it with weird detached commentary. Sam & Max wouldn't be out of place crashing their car through a mall, oblivious to the destruction they're causing, but taking time to point out their favorite stores, for instance.
  • edited March 2007
    Hm, yes, they are rather similar aren't they? :/

Note to Admin: More smilie icons for posting please! :D
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    Even more off topic (I should know better so pan away) but did you know there was a Blues Brothers game? :eek:

Looks fun! :)
    edited March 2007
    Even more off topic (I should know better so pan away) but did you know there was a Blues Brothers game? :eek:

Looks fun! :)

I played a ROM of that about 9 years ago. It was horrible. Jake and Elwood in some sort of generic vine and fungus fantasy land jumping on guys heads, only it wasn't supposed to be a bad 3rd world Mario knockoff. It was just... ridiculous. Like someone just had a "generic platformer" template and after being paid, stuck some sprites of the Blues Brothers in there. The only positive about the game is that if you left the characters idle for long enough, they did great sprite animations of Jake and Elwoods cheezy stage dances. I had an animated gif of one of them for a while but I think I've finally lost it.
  • edited March 2007
    I've had Surfin' the Highway for years, and I just recieved "The Age of S&M" in the mail (cheers Telltale!) but a reprint of the former with extra content (and there better be lots of it) would be mighty tempting.

Perhaps even a release of the post-95 stuff in a seperate volume? Only if there was enough of it I suppose, but it'd save some of us re-purchasing the same content ;)
  • edited March 2007
    All of the stories and shorts up until 1995 were in a compilation called "Sam & Max: Surfin the Highway," which is the book this thread is about. Surfin the Highway is extremely rare at this point, and has sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars. A reprint (especially one that included the various shorts and mini-stories that Sam & Max have appeared in in the 12 years between 1995 and now) would make many fans (including me) very happy!

*looks at well-loved beat up copy*
    *cries*
  • edited March 2007
    This. Has. To. Happen!

Even if it's only a reprint of 1,000 copies, I'm sure they would sell! Who owns the publication rights?
  • edited March 2007
    This. Has. To. Happen!

Even if it's only a reprint of 1,000 copies, I'm sure they would sell! Who owns the publication rights?

Steve I guess all the original publishers have gone out of business.
  • edited March 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    ... I think I've finally lost it.

Pressure getting to you?
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I played a ROM of that about 9 years ago. It was horrible. Jake and Elwood in some sort of generic vine and fungus fantasy land jumping on guys heads, only it wasn't supposed to be a bad 3rd world Mario knockoff. It was just... ridiculous. Like someone just had a "generic platformer" template and after being paid, stuck some sprites of the Blues Brothers in there. The only positive about the game is that if you left the characters idle for long enough, they did great sprite animations of Jake and Elwoods cheezy stage dances. I had an animated gif of one of them for a while but I think I've finally lost it.

Bummer. But...

jake_blues.gif
    He doesn't dance though...
  • edited March 2007
    jake_blues.gif
    He doesn't dance though...

Sure he does, that's pretty much how I dance.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.