Alright...

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Well, you've already retconned most of the originals out of importance as it is. Do I think you'd go and remake all of the originals? No.

But you admit yourself that "with new games we'd be responsible for plot and gameplay and stuff like that." As TT is being judged by their previous work for what they're going to do with this game, why isn't it just as fair to judge you and what you might do with a commercial KQ by what you've done so far?

By rights, one can vehemently oppose such a possibility. You see, that's the major and main thing I'm opposed to: Your vision becoming canon. Make all the fangames you want--I don't care.

We have a 60% of one fan game track record. Telltale has an established pattern over quite a few commercial entries. There's no comparison.
  • edited March 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    We have a 60% of one fan game track record. Telltale has an established pattern over quite a few commercial entries. There's no comparison.

It's still the quality of potential, future work being judged by the quality of present/past work. The only difference is in the quantity.

Judging by your current work, I'd expect a commercial POS King's Quest to be:

Angst Quest II: More Hidden Deep Revelations and Suicidal Idealations
  • edited March 2011
    It's still the quality of potential, future work being judged by the quality of present/past work. The only difference is in the quantity.

Judging by your current work, I'd expect a commercial POS King's Quest to be:

Angst Quest II: More Hidden Deep Revelations and Suicidal Idealations

Right, and you're welcome to your assumptions and opinions and whatever, but what's baffling to everyone (and here's the kicker, even to people who also can't stand TSL) is how much actual active HATE you spew at us. Well all have things we've disagreed with or disliked in life, but I have never known anybody to put so much effort into trashing something they didn't like as you do to Phoenix Online. Most people would much rather put that energy into something constructive.
  • edited March 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    Right, and you're welcome to your assumptions and opinions and whatever, but what's baffling to everyone (and here's the kicker, even to people who also can't stand TSL) is how much actual active HATE you spew at us. Well all have things we've disagreed with or disliked in life, but I have never known anybody to put so much effort into trashing something they didn't like as you do to Phoenix Online. Most people would much rather put that energy into something constructive.

I kind of get a kick out of it at times, if you want to know the truth.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    ok, this is going anywhere, as always.

Note that I agreed with you, Anakin, I agree with you that even if we have a big following TSL is not of everyone's tastes. I agree with you that it's dark and different to KQ (Yet not Twilight). I even agree with you a little that maybe we shouldn't have taken the direction we took, although that's not going to change anything at this stage.

You are the one that doesn't give up to anything. You go as far as saying that people like our game because they are like starving kids for anything KQ related.

So, I'll leave it at that. This will never change I've realized.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011

oh, beautiful. Weldon, we are done here. Let's go.
  • edited March 2011
    Cez wrote: »
    ok, this is going anywhere, as always.

Note that I agreed with you, Anakin, I agree with you that even if we have a big following TSL is not of everyone's tastes. I agree with you that it's dark and different to KQ (Yet not Twilight). I even agree with you a little that maybe we shouldn't have taken the direction we took, although that's not going to change anything at this stage.

You are the one that doesn't give up to anything. You go as far as saying that people like our game because they are like starving kids for anything KQ related.

So, I'll leave it at that. This will never change I've realized.

I did give up that you have a passion, perhaps even a love for KQ, and I respect that as I respect any other fan of KQ. I will concede that you have the potential to be a very talented writer if you'd be willing to have an editor--Even Lucas had an editor. I've said before your team behind you is also very talented, and I've never attacked anyone behind the scenes--the music people, the artists--because they only deserve plaudits.

Just as there certain points on which you will always hold your ground, however, there points where I will always hold mine. I can respect that we can agree to disagree on a lot.
  • edited March 2011
    I dunno, personally I've seen a lot of this thread as Anakin making concessions and overall not being anywhere near as much of an ass as he was before. But I don't know, maybe that's just me.
  • edited March 2011
    I dunno, personally I've seen a lot of this thread as Anakin making concessions and overall not being anywhere near as much of an ass as he was before. But I don't know, maybe that's just me.

you are just getting used to it by now.
  • edited March 2011
    I dunno. I think he's trying, and I'm seeing a lot less snarky and sarcastic one-liners. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not entirely sure this is the place to cut off the dialog, since it looks to me like he's making a solid attempt at it.
  • edited March 2011
    I agree, several of these posts from him have been downright reasonable. It looked like mutually agreeable discourse was (and is?) at least a possibility.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, in this thread it's cool. I can live and listen to the criticisms. Yes, my stuff can be edited a lot, and yes, if I ever were to work on another IP, I'd probably keep it as true as I could to the originals --especially if it's something commercial. Again, I'm very much enjoying my time with TSL, but I wrote that 10 years ago. It has been a great learning experience and it has made me re-evaluate a lot my goals for Corridor 9.

It's hard to do something about TSL now, but yes, I do see the melodrama in spades now, and I see how it would have been much better if it was less. I'm actually taking the chance to implement a lot of the feedback in Episode 5, which is the one episode that's being written to end the story. The story is not going to change, because we are happy with it, and like Weldon said, it doesn't make any sense now, but, we are listening. We can't give in to everything people want, but we are listening.
  • edited March 2011
    Cez wrote: »
    Yeah, in this thread it's cool. I can live and listen to the criticisms. Yes, my stuff can be edited a lot, and yes, if I ever were to work on another IP, I'd probably keep it as true as I could to the originals --especially if it's something commercial. Again, I'm very much enjoying my time with TSL, but I wrote that 10 years ago. It has been a great learning experience and it has made me re-evaluate a lot my goals for Corridor 9.

It's hard to do something about TSL now, but yes, I do see the melodrama in spades now, and I see how it would have been much better if it was less. I'm actually taking the chance to implement a lot of the feedback in Episode 5, which is the one episode that's being written to end the story. The story is not going to change, because we are happy with it, and like Weldon said, it doesn't make any sense now, but, we are listening. We can't give in to everything people want, but we are listening.

Fair enough, and I do wish you luck on C9. I appreciate your efforts and one thing I will say is that TSL led me to re-finding the Sierra internet community I was only 12, so I wasn't a major internet user, but we had had the internet for like 5, 6 years.

A few years earlier, like '98, '99, I had been on sites like Sierra Planet and Xavier's KQ page--But by 2002, 2003, I had forgotten all that, and one day while in a summer camp's computer room i think it was, I had looked up King's Quest--because I had been playing the old games again and had finally gotten a computer which Mask would run properly on, and I wondered, "Whatever happened to King's Quest?", and I did some sort of search--I don't know if twas Google since this was 2003--and found TSL's site, and joined the forum not long after, around the Fall of 2003.
    So TSL did bring me back into the fan community.
  • edited March 2011
    Good on you, Anakin. Un-ignored....for now.
  • edited March 2011
    Haha, Dwight Schrute-ly played, MI :)
  • edited March 2011

I hope that's not true, because if it is that's really depressing.
  • edited March 2011
    Anakin, dude, there are some hills that just aren't worth dying on. You've really gotta let your hate of TSL go, or it's going to consume you. Seriously - there's better things to put such energy in to.

It's okay; you don't like it. You don't have to. You don't have to play it. There's no reason to go poking at Cez or Weldon all the time. It just comes off as petty, and I know you're better than that.

Bt
  • edited March 2011
    Anakin, dude, there are some hills that just aren't worth dying on. You've really gotta let your hate of TSL go, or it's going to consume you. Seriously - there's better things to put such energy in to.

It's okay; you don't like it. You don't have to. You don't have to play it. There's no reason to go poking at Cez or Weldon all the time. It just comes off as petty, and I know you're better than that.

Bt

I don't know about being better than that, given Richard Nixon is one of my biggest heroes :p
  • edited March 2011
    I don't know about being better than that, given Richard Nixon is one of my biggest heroes :p

Well, it's your life. If you want to be a douche, that's your prerogative. I just think it's doing you no good.

Bt
  • edited March 2011
    Its ok to debate as long as you remain respectful... Its ok to disagree... but do NOT resort to name calling and personal attacks... The only time people do it is when they are losing an argument .... something to think about.
  • edited June 2012
    Would be interesting to get Josh Mandel's opinion at this point now that TSL is almost finished, or after the final episode is released...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.