What they left out of the 3rd edition of the King's Quest Companion...

edited July 2012 in Kings Quest Game
This is a repeat of a post I made on another forum several months ago, but I thought I'd post it again here, since some things have changed since I made the first post.

As some of you may know, there are several versions of The King's Quest Companion. The first one covers KQ1-4, the second one was expanded to include KQ5, the third added KQ6, and the fourth (and last) one covers KQ1-7. However, because of the vast amount of material KQ6 contained, one of the sections present in the first and second editions had to be removed from the third edition.

This section was called "An Encyclopedia of Daventry", and it discusses the various people, creatures, lands and entities found throughout the series, often describing their real-life origins. However, there is also a lot of "embellishment" added to the descriptions of some of the original characters by the author, and some of this embellishment is so bizarre that when I first saw some examples from the encyclopedia on the KQ Wiki, I thought that some mischievous fan was adding this info as a joke. However, I now own the 2nd edition of the KQC, and I can verify that not only are the pages where the 2nd edition of the KQC are accurate, but they're copied almost verbatim.

Here are a few of the more..."interesting" entries that I discovered:

From the entry on snow leopards:
[...]Rosella speculates that the leopard might be more than just a bodyguard. It seems that fairies must spend a day each week in the form of some animal. Rosella thinks Genesta may become a female snow leopard and the regal beast she saw in Genesta's Ivory Tower is her animal husband.
Er...o-kaaay...
(Note: The encyclopedia's entry on fairies repeats the "fairies must spend one day in the form of an animal" fact.)

And speaking of Genesta (this text is from the wiki -- it's supposed to be an actual fairy tale, but I haven't been able to find it):
Genesta once took a young boy from his parents, a foolish king and queen. Genesta promised to return the boy someday, but said they would not see him again until he was all covered with fur. She called the boy Mannikin because of his small size. He grew up to go on many adventures, aided by the good fairy Genesta. Years, later when Mannikin returned from the North Pole, Genesta arrived in a chariot drawn by eagles, bearing with her Mannikin's parents. Mannikin was wearing a fur coat, thus Genesta's promise was fulfilled.
Wow...makes me wonder if Lolotte got the idea of stealing Edgar from Genesta.

From the pirates' entry:
All the pirates but one are now dead, the victims of a great storm spell cast upon them by Prince Alexander some weeks after his return home. The lone survivor washed up on the coast of Llewdor babbling of shipmates being consumed by sharks and others swallowed by a great squid after being crushed in its tentacles. The unfortunate man also kept whimpering a word that sounded something like "Cthulhu," but his mind had been shattered by the experience and he only continued to chatter incoherently.
Is it just me, or does this story seem a bit...well, out of place?
"Well Mother and Father, I'd really love to spend more time with you after spending nearly 18 years as a slave to an evil wizard, but right now I've got to go sic an Elder God on some rude pirates who stole my things before they brought me here. Bye!"

On Queen Icebella:
Her consort is the changeling and werewolf, Sir Greywolf.
What is it with the implied bestiality in this Encyclopedia!?

A bit of information from Cassima's entry (remember, this is before KQ6 was made):
[Derek Karlavaegan] also mentions that Alexander and Cassima have communicated since their meeting [in Mordack's castle], but how, or where or when is unknown. Nothing is at it appears, and we know too little.
How conveniently vague...
Other entries in the encyclopedia go on to say that during these "communications", Cassima told Alexander about Dink (the unseen monster named "Sam" is apparently his brother), the blue beast in the castle (he is somehow related to Dink, "although whether he is made from parts of Dink or his tissue is not clear"), how her locket wound up in the Roc's nest (Mordack flew with her to his castle "in the wings of a giant bird", and she dropped the locket on the way). Too bad she never told him something like...say, the location of the Kingdom of the Green Isles?

On vampires:
Derek believes vampires may be descended from the lizardfolk and not supernatural at all, having powers similar to the bat and chameleon (other species that may have descended from the lizardfolk).
I probably shouldn't have looked up the lizardfolk's page after reading this, but I did...
The lizardfolk are [a] reptilian race that had owned the earth, and roamed the stars before the evolution of mammals that would become humanity. They crawled out of the swamps to raise gargantuan cities and ruled the stars for untold millions of years. Their race died out, disappearing into oblivion, victims of arcane sorceries from beyond the Multiverse itself. The insane and incomprehensible magics (the very sounds which cannot be conceived nor reproduced by humans) that destroyed the lizards may exist still.
...I got nothing.

According to An Encyclopedia of Daventry, the winged horse in KQ2 is indeed Pegasus, who was born from the blood of the gorgon Medusa after she was killed by Perseus. However, this raises the quandary of how Medusa is alive in KQ3. A look at her page in the Omni reveals that:
There are hints that this Medusa is the same one Perseus killed. How she came to be alive again is unknown.
No kidding.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I actually had no idea there was a fourth edition.
  • edited March 2011
    I got ahold of the first three editions of the KQ Companion recently. Some of the stuff in it is indeed pretty wild.

Irishmile, the fourth edition crops up on eBay and used-book sites from time to time, but it's pricier than the other editions, and it seems to be rarer. From what I can tell, the "new" KQ7 content in the 4th edition was actually reprinted from a separate KQ7 Authorized Player's Guide by the same author.
  • edited March 2011
    This post covers every angle of why I take the KQ Companion with an entire pile of salt.
  • edited March 2011
    I really like the latest edition. I never read the earlier ones. And based on the examples cited, I think lack of space may not have been the only reason the Encyclopedia was removed. A much more agreeable read this way.
  • edited March 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Irishmile, the fourth edition crops up on eBay and used-book sites from time to time, but it's pricier than the other editions, and it seems to be rarer. From what I can tell, the "new" KQ7 content in the 4th edition was actually reprinted from a separate KQ7 Authorized Player's Guide by the same author.
    Indeed -- KQ7 really got the short end of the stick when it was added to the KQC. It didn't even get its own illustration at the beginning of the novelization -- it just got the the old version of KQ4's illustration (Rosella in Edgar's bedroom, holding the rose he slipped under the door), and there wasn't an excerpt from the novelization under the picture like there was with every other novelization's picture, either.
  • edited March 2011
    KatieHal wrote: »
    This post covers every angle of why I take the KQ Companion with an entire pile of salt.

I couldn't agree more! That book is wack.

Bt
  • edited March 2011
    I couldn't agree more! That book is wack.

Bt

Outside of the encyclopedia, I don't see what the big problem with it is.
  • edited March 2011

I think the whole thread of "Derek Karlavagegananaenanan" is lame. What's even more lame is when I see people reference the book in discussions about King's Quest by saying "Well, Derek Karlavagean said....."..... This has happened to me!

Bt
  • edited March 2011

I could go on, but I'll pick two stand-outs.

1) Why need we imply Icebella is banging a wolf?

2) Vampires are descended from lizardfolk. Yeah, I'm putting that right up there with saying they sparkle.
  • edited March 2011
    I could go on, but I'll pick two stand-outs.

1) Why need we imply Icebella is banging a wolf?

2) Vampires are descended from lizardfolk. Yeah, I'm putting that right up there with saying they sparkle.

Note that I said, "outside of the Encyclopedia."
  • edited March 2011
    Fair enough.

Outside of that, it just introduces complications that aren't in the games. For example, one Companion decided to say/claim that Edgar was a fisherman's son...no real reason to do so, and that might seem fine at the time, but that creates an issue when later he was revealed to not be anything of the sort.

And isn't there some place in it that claims the magical island Valanice was held in the Tower on was actually a distant part of the regular world? Which is not only unnecessary, but kind of ridiculous. The place she was in was clearly NOT normal or anything like the regular world of KQ.

And for a 3rd, the claim that Alexander visited Derek Karlvagenwhatsit and DID receive a copy of the Guidebook to the Green Isles from him. This directly conflicts with the game itself, as when you find a copy in the Vizier's room, the narrator remarks on how that would've been really helpful to have when you arrived there--nothing at all about having had one that was lost.

And most ridiculous of all is that the Companion tried to explain why the screens of the lands in KQ looped around on another with its "magical law of containment" claim. That one's probably the worst offender.
  • edited March 2011
    And most ridiculous of all is that the Companion tried to explain why the screens of the lands in KQ looped around on another with its "magical law of containment" claim. That one's probably the worst offender.
    I like that one. Better than forcing people who use the Companion for walkthrough purposes to waste time on going, say, several enemy-infested screens south than one safe screen north. Also makes it seem less like Graham has a death wish.
  • edited March 2011
    Fair enough.

Outside of that, it just introduces complications that aren't in the games. For example, one Companion decided to say/claim that Edgar was a fisherman's son...no real reason to do so, and that might seem fine at the time, but that creates an issue when later he was revealed to not be anything of the sort.

And isn't there some place in it that claims the magical island Valanice was held in the Tower on was actually a distant part of the regular world? Which is not only unnecessary, but kind of ridiculous. The place she was in was clearly NOT normal or anything like the regular world of KQ.

And for a 3rd, the claim that Alexander visited Derek Karlvagenwhatsit and DID receive a copy of the Guidebook to the Green Isles from him. This directly conflicts with the game itself, as when you find a copy in the Vizier's room, the narrator remarks on how that would've been really helpful to have when you arrived there--nothing at all about having had one that was lost.

I read somewhere Peter Spear was given access to Roberta's own notes. And funnily enough, the idea of having a hero be the son of a fisherman was revisited in the early design stages of KQ8--Connor was initially going to be the son of a fisherman. Perhaps back in 1988 or so, Roberta thought this was Edgar's backstory.

I don't see any problem with her tower being in a distant part of Daventry. The world of Daventry is a pretty strange place as it is.

I'll give you that one, but I always thought the guidebook to the land of the Green Isles bit was an injoke at both the manual and the Companion. Spear said he worked with Jane Jensen in writing his novelisation of KQ6. Perhaps originally Alexander was supposed to have a copy and lost it. In any case, having the guidebook be mentioned in the game, and the Guidebook be the game's manual (which is mentioned in the Companion) validates at least the character of Derek Karelevagen--which was an invention of the KQ Companion.

There was a blurb on the back of the 3rd edition I think it was of the Companion where Roberta essentially said it gives new dimension and depth to her games. And I recall Ken saying that the Companion, unlike the novels, was actually reviewed by Roberta. The novels had no involvement from Roberta from what I've heard and were just Okayed by Sierra. But I've read Roberta did have a certain level of contact with Spear while he created the Companions.

From the KQ Omnipedia:

"Roberta Williams is acknowledged for being of help in writing the books.[5] According to Peter Spear, he would call Roberta Williams in order to develop chapters for the book. If she wasn't around or was too busy, he would contact other colleagues working on the games including Jane Jensen.[6] The books were officially endorsed by Roberta Williams and she believed it brought the games to life in an exciting new way. She said it added another fascinating dimension to the entire King's Quest experience. She felt it was a pleasure to read, and a must have for anyone wanting to explore the series in greater depth and detail.[7][8] She provided Peter Spear with encouragement, support, and access to work in progress

Ken Williams (the former owner of Sierra On-line supported the book from day one. He and his brother John Willams were extremely helpful and supportive of the book through the years, and without their support the book might not have existed. Peter Spear worked directly with Jane Jensen shile editing and writing material for KQ6 portions (some of which written by the professional novelist eluki bes shahar), he worked directly with Jane Jensen, and he worked with Lorelei Shannon on the material published in the 4th Edition and King's Quest VII: Authorized Guide. Other people at Sierra that assisted with Peter Spear in developing the book through the years include Bill Davis, Dennis Jonathan, Kirk Green, Anita Greene, Liz Jacobs, Mark Siebart, Marc Hudgins, Jonk Meek, Dan Rogers, Jerry Bowerman, and Joe Escalle.

The author directly worked with designers and the game publisher to receive behind the scenes information, and influenced material in the games, manuals and even other official Hint Books on occasion (see KQ6 and KQ7 hintbooks by Lorelei Shannon, KQ5 Manual (computer and NES versions), the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles, and King's Questions (a computer game), and other material in the King's Quest Collection (15th Anniversery Collector's Edition)). Sierra's Interaction Magazine, and King's Quest Collection reprinted portions of the book on occasion to advertise them, give background story to the King's Quest World, and give hints to players (Sierra Magazine, Autumn 1989, Interaction, Fall 1994). The former article was included in the Inside the Chest archive included in several editions of the King's Quest Collection.

".a wonderful blend of fact and fiction that brings my games to life in an exciting new way. It add's another fascinating dimension to the entire King's Quest experience. It is truly a pleasure to read and a must have for anyone hoping to explore the series in greater depth and detail."-Roberta Williams, 3rd Edition back cover
  • edited March 2011
    It gives it some more dimension & depth, I won't argue that--the idea is very cool. But I think it suffered from being built off of early notes or incomplete ones, or not having more designer oversight, leading to conflicts in plot details, etc. I feel like grading A for effort....C- for execution. :/
  • edited March 2011
    I didn't see any blurb about Edgar being a fisherman's son on the Wiki, and all that the 2nd edition of the Companion says about him is that "no one knew who [his] father was -- he could have been anyone from a drugged slave to a malevolent sorcerer." (A little ironic, given that Alberich, the character from the legend that supposedly inspired Oberon, is a sorcerer.)
  • edited March 2011
    In my honest opinion, the stuff said in the companion seem rather odd. I mean, the whole concept of Daventry being another world where people from our world cross over to is ridiculous. I guess Spear was finding a way to explain why there are Shakespearian books in a fantasy era setting with vampires, but nevertheless, the story comes out to be very convoluted.
  • edited March 2011
    new" KQ7 content in the 4th edition was actually reprinted from a separate KQ7 Authorized Player's Guide by the same author.

The KQ7 Authorized guide was published first.

KQC 4th Edition was published a few years later, and even advertises Mask of Eternity.
    Actually the book gives like 2-3 different speculative explanations for Edgar, and the 'author' isn't clear if any of them are 'true or not'. Just rumors and speculation. One other alternative theories is that Edgar is the son of a sorcerer.
    And isn't there some place in it that claims the magical island Valanice was held in the Tower on was actually a distant part of the regular world? Which is not only unnecessary, but kind of ridiculous. The place she was in was clearly NOT normal or anything like the regular world of KQ

Actually again, the book says it could be another world, or in a distant part of the world. The book mentions both theories!

Vampires are descended from lizardfolk. Yeah, I'm putting that right up there with saying they sparkle.
    The book actually gives two theories for vampires. Again the traditional one, and second more speculative one.

Actually the book is full of two or more speculations given by the 'author/s' for various topics. I think this was so the book avoided being too 'specific', and thus avoids 'contradicting' anything directly. It can all be chocked up to Derek Karlavaegen's overactive imagination, which he himself admits to!.

I think it shows that Peter Spear was given room to speculate in the book, he just wasn't allowed to get too specific (he couldn't create too many important details that would change the backstories in case developers changed things later on). So almost everything is described as being 'speculation' on the parts of the fictional authors.

Actually there are several points in KQ6 narration, including tutorial instructions (accessed through the menu) suggesting Alexander had a copy of the guidebook. There is a few references within the narration telling Alexander that he should use his own copy of the guidebook!

So in a sense it explains how Alexander was able to figure out the Cliffs of Logic! Remember even the Guidebook suggests anyone who would even possibly solve the cliffs, would have to know alot of highly specific cultural facts of the Ancient Ones, and the answers to certain riddles (Derek had recorded in his book). So without that book Alexander would have died, because one wrong answer would have sent him plummiting down the cliff!

Ya it would-be impossible to figure out the circles without the riddle, and any of the challenges involving the Ancient Ones alphabet.

Of course it's not just the Cliffs, but the catacombs as well, it would have been impossible to get through the tile trap in the Catacombs without specific knowledge of the riddle recorded in The Guidebook.

The companion just suggests that Alexander had a copy of that book at one point, and explains how he must have lost it.

The game rather contradicts itself on this topic! If you miss the references to "Alex" supposedly having access to at least parts of the book... It leaves a plot hole as to how Alex would have figured out the cliffs and catacombs...! Yet, if you did catch the reference, then the bit near the end, that says "it would have been helpful" doesn't make much sense!

So I guess Peter Spear tried to go down the middle, suggesting Alex lost it before he got to the islands, but had read enough to remember how to figure out the Cliffs and Catacombs traps.

Actually the KQ6 hintbook by Lorelei Shannon explains the purpose for Alhazred's copy, was it was how he learned about the Green Isles, and the reason why he went there to take over!
    I like that one. Better than forcing people who use the Companion for walkthrough purposes to waste time on going, say, several enemy-infested screens south than one safe screen north. Also makes it seem less like Graham has a death wish.
    Ya it is true, the book was designed as a strategy guide for the games. You can actually beat the games by using the novelizations. It wasn't specifically designed to be a novelization for the series. If you understand the book's purpose, the fact that it incorporates actual game mechanics and the ingame world makes absolute sense.
    In my honest opinion, the stuff said in the companion seem rather odd. I mean, the whole concept of Daventry being another world where people from our world cross over to is ridiculous. I guess Spear was finding a way to explain why there are Shakespearian books in a fantasy era setting with vampires, but nevertheless, the story comes out to be very convoluted.
    It's a generic fantasy trope... the book even makes a few references, which compare the idea to Wonderland, Narnia, Oz, and Fantastica, which are all worlds that are accessed from earth... The main problem though is the idea is hardly original, and is rather cliche.
    Why need we imply Icebella is banging a wolf?
    I'm pretty sure this reference is taken from an obscure fairy tale story, that had a similar ice queen to the one in Han's Christian anderson. But involved a human that was changed into a wolf, and forced to be the queen's companion. It might have been part of the 'Mannikan/Genesta' story, but its been a decade or two since I read the fairy tale.

Technically the book doesn't say that she "bangs" the wolf, however. A 'consort' is not necessarily sexual in nature. Also, since its a werewolf, its a shapeshifter. It doesn't necessarily mean she 'sleeps' with it while its in animal form. But really, why resort to the gutter thoughts?

The idea of fairy's shapeshifting into animal forms, originates from mythology and fairy tale as well (thus the whole Genesta/leopard thing). The book as I recall does point out that its a trait from English fairy stories.

If you want to talk about something bizarre from mythology, the book discusses the mythological Gwydion, and how he and his brother were turned into animals, one male and one female, and forced to sleep with each other! Homoerotic, incest and bestiality all in the same myth!

Zoophilia seems to be a strangely common theme in myth though;

Leda and the Swan
    for example
  • edited March 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I got ahold of the first three editions of the KQ Companion recently. Some of the stuff in it is indeed pretty wild.

Awesome thanks for the info.... I just tracked down a copy of the KQ7 guide and purchased it... you probably just saved me some $$$...
  • edited March 2011
    Ya, you saved money, and also get an additional chapter or two left out of the 4th Edition, I think? Mainly game summaries, and game development/interview stuff.
  • edited March 2011
    Valiento wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this reference is taken from an obscure fairy tale story, that had a similar ice queen to the one in Han's Christian anderson. But involved a human that was changed into a wolf, and forced to be the queen's companion. It might have been part of the 'Mannikan/Genesta' story, but its been a decade or two since I read the fairy tale.
    Is the Mannikan and Genesta story an actual fairy tale? I did some searches on the names, but couldn't find anything.
    The idea of fairy's shapeshifting into animal forms, originates from mythology and fairy tale as well (thus the whole Genesta/leopard thing). The book as I recall does point out that its a trait from English fairy stories.
    I looked at the KQC 2nd Edition, and it doesn't say that the shape-shifting is from English fairy stories -- it just says that they "come from and dwell in the Land of Faerie". I've read a lot of mythology and traditional fantasy stories, but I've never encountered the shape-shifting concept before. It is interesting, though.
    If you want to talk about something bizarre from mythology, the book discusses the mythological Gwydion, and how he and his brother were turned into animals, one male and one female, and forced to sleep with each other! Homoerotic, incest and bestiality all in the same myth!
    And to think I noticed all those other excerpts, yet failed to notice that one...I think I'll have to wear my brain in a cast for several weeks now.
  • edited March 2011
    Is the Mannikan and Genesta story an actual fairy tale? I did some searches on the names, but couldn't find anything.

The fairy tale is called 'Heart of Ice' it seems;

here

looked at the KQC 2nd Edition, and it doesn't say that the shape-shifting is from English fairy stories -- it just says that they "come from and dwell in the Land of Faerie". I've read a lot of mythology and traditional fantasy stories, but I've never encountered the shape-shifting concept before. It is interesting, though.

It might not be English fairies specifically, but Wikipedia mentions it a bit more;

Shapeshifting
    British and Irish
    "Fairies, witches, and wizards were all noted for their shapeshifting ability. Not all fairies could shapeshift, and some were limited to changing their size, as with the spriggans, and others to a few forms and other fairies might have only the appearance of shape-shifting, through their power, called "glamour," to create illusions.[38]

Ya, its interesting alot of peter spear's stranger ideas in the book actually originate from obscure fairy tales! Though he tossed in a few modern fantasy references as well!
    "Well Mother and Father, I'd really love to spend more time with you after spending nearly 18 years as a slave to an evil wizard, but right now I've got to go sic an Elder God on some rude pirates who stole my things before they brought me here. Bye!"

Well in the book IIRC, he also took the time to write a couple of books on magic, taught magic at the university, and took time to explore Mordack's castle!

Hmm, IIRC, one of the novels, The Floating Castle, had something just as strange! One passage said that Alexander had been on a journey away from Daventry, for something like six months to a year?
    Too bad she never told him something like...say, the location of the Kingdom of the Green Isles?
    Interesting point!

It begs the question though, if they were in communication, did she know where the location was of the Kingdom of the Green Isles in relation to where Alexander lived? Without geographical information it might have been difficult for her to say, where exactly she lived!

Remember she didn't really even know where Mordack's Island was in relation to her homeland!
  • edited March 2011

here

It might not be English fairies specifically, but Wikipedia mentions it a bit more;

Shapeshifting

Ya, its interesting alot of peter spear's stranger ideas in the book actually originate from obscure fairy tales! Though he tossed in a few modern fantasy references as well!

Well in the book IIRC, he also took the time to write a couple of books on magic, taught magic at the university, and took time to explore Mordack's castle!

Hmm, IIRC, one of the novels, The Floating Castle, had something just as strange! One passage said that Alexander had been on a journey away from Daventry, for something like six months to a year?

Interesting point!

It begs the question though, if they were in communication, did she know where the location was of the Kingdom of the Green Isles in relation to where Alexander lived? Without geographical information it might have been difficult for her to say, where exactly she lived!

Remember she didn't really even know where Mordack's Island was in relation to her homeland!

KQ6 makes it seem like the Green Isles are pretty much completely isolated from the rest of the world, so it would make sense for her not to know WHERE her homeland was, at least in relation to Daventry or anywhere else. Even in KQ5, the Green Isles is implied to be remote; Cassima thinks she's HEARD of Daventry--something legendary.

The idea of Mordack taking Cassima to his Castle by them riding on a bird would be a nice explanation for her locket landing in the Roc's nest.

Also, something I find interesting: Quite a few people (the Hermit, Crispin, Madame Mushka) seem to know about Mordack, at the very least, that he's a powerful and evil dude. I wonder how--Did he terrorize the land of Serenia at one point? Did he live there?

I also always wondered who the Hermit was. What his story was. Maybe he was an elderly John the Wanderer.
  • edited March 2011
    The idea of Mordack taking Cassima to his Castle by them riding on a bird would be a nice explanation for her locket landing in the Roc's nest.

In KQ5, I think she vaguely mentions she lost it somewhere, when she was brought to Mordack's castle, but never specifcally mentions how! So ya the explanation does work.
    KQ6 makes it seem like the Green Isles are pretty much completely isolated from the rest of the world, so it would make sense for her not to know WHERE her homeland was, at least in relation to Daventry or anywhere else. Even in KQ5, the Green Isles is implied to be remote; Cassima thinks she's HEARD of Daventry--something legendary.

Ya, but you know what's stranger? She may not have known how to get back to where she was from, but apparently Crispin knew where to send her back! KQ5 nor KQC explains how he knew where send her back though.
    really like the latest edition. I never read the earlier ones. And based on the examples cited, I think lack of space may not have been the only reason the Encyclopedia was removed. A much more agreeable read this way.

I'm pretty sure its mainly for lack of space, considering that KQ6 actually added like another 220 pages to the book or so (with both the novel, and the hintbook section in the back). 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition have the same number of pages more or less (slightly more because of the rather huge KQ6 strategy section), and same paper stock.

4th Edition switched to really cheap paper stock... very thin, can and does fall apart easily.... Just so they could add in another 150 pages of chapters, and still fit in into a book as thick as 3rd edition. But really the binding in that edition is crap.

Actually, you'll find quite a bit of the King's Quest specific material from the encyclopedia (referring to family, or important details in the game) is mentioned in novels or related chapters. Some material specific to minor characters sometimes shows up in the novels as well, like the whole "Medusa" may be the same medusa that Perseus killed, is suggested in the KQ3 novel (However this relates to an explanation on how to deal with her).

All that stuff about Alexander making trips to various places for whatever magical reasons, like going to Mordack's castle, or teaching at the academy? Those are also mentioned other chapters such as the Sorcery of Old and the Iconomancy chapter. The Cthulu spell is mentioned in one of those chapters as well (though not specifically that Alexander had used it on the pirates).

The encyclopedia just broke it down, a bit more.

Interesting enough, the KQ7 novel in 4th edition actually makes a reference or two to the encyclopedia chapter. There is a comment that Valanice stood infront of the door to Rosella's bedroom with a sword; in order to keep Graham from taking their daughter to the dragon! That's taken from either the Valanice or Rosella articles in the encyclopedia!

Quite a bit stuff from the encyclopedia (such as Pegasus and the name of the monastery in Kolyma) also made it into the King's Quest Collection, trivia program via Josh Mandel (which was published some time after the 3rd Edition)!

Beyond that the encyclopedia was a great source of information, because it gives accounts many of the tales that inspired elements of the KQ series. It's a great resource for people who may not have knowledge of the more obscure references in the series! Like for example, how many people know about the 'Heart of Ice' tale, and that Genesta wasn't a creation by Roberta? Its very obscure, but by adding it in, he may have introduced people to it for the first time! This kind of information, about what inspired the KQ series, actually made 2/3s of the encyclopedia (if anything needs to be cut for space, that is is the kind of material to cut, since it is largely tangential to a book focusing on being a strategy guide).

How about the fact that the names of Rosanella and Valanice, may be inspired by the characters from the fairy tale, "Rosanella", which was about a princess named Rosanella, and her mother Balanice! I'm pretty sure that's more than a coincidence! See here.
  • edited March 2011

here
    Thank you very much! And wow, all these years and I had no idea that Genesta was based on a pre-existing fairy tale character. Amazing.

Shapeshifting
    Ah, I see. I should have said that I'd heard about fairies and other related magic entities having the capability of shape-shifting, but the KQC's statement that fairies (in the KQ universe) must spend one day a week in the form of an animal is a concept I haven't come across in any traditional fairy tales yet.

Wow...and wasn't the gap between KQ4 and 5 just one year? That Alexander is one incredibly busy young man.
    Actually -- remember how in KQ6, Alexander tells Alhazred that Cassima invited him to visit her? The problem is that in KQ5, she doesn't invite him, he asks her if he can visit her kingdom (in the second sentence he speaks to her). If they were communicating between games, perhaps she could have formally invited him...maybe.
    Ya, but you know what's stranger? She may not have known how to get back to where she was from, but apparently Crispin knew where to send her back! KQ5 nor KQC explains how he knew where send her back though.
    Hmm...since Crispin is the only one who apparently knew where the Isles were, maybe he was teleporting letters between Alexander and Cassima but unfortunately forgot how to transport other people to different locations after sending Graham and his family home? This is making for some promising fan fiction material here...
    How about the fact that the names of Rosanella and Valanice, may be inspired by the characters from the fairy tale, "Rosanella", which was about a princess named Rosanella, and her mother Balanice! I'm pretty sure that's more than a coincidence!
    I was pretty astonished when I found that story. I guess the statement that everything in the KQ games has a connection to a myth or a fairy tale is far from exaggeration.

I was wondering where Roberta might have heard of these obscure stories in the pre-Internet age, but then I realized that the Mannikan/Mannikin story and the Rosanella story are both found in Andrew Lang's Green Fairy Book (first published in 1892). They're even both by the same author. (And wow, the story about the white snake [the same thing that Crispin gives Graham in KQ5] is in there too!)
  • edited March 2011
    I was wondering where Roberta might have heard of these obscure stories in the pre-Internet age, but then I realized that the Mannikan/Mannikin story and the Rosanella story are both found in Andrew Lang's Green Fairy Book (first published in 1892). They're even both by the same author. (And wow, the story about the white snake [the same thing that Crispin gives Graham in KQ5] is in there too!)
    Interesting observations I had actually noticed the Green book connection between Heart of Ice and Rosanella. Didn't know about the white snake though!

I've been thinking more about Crispin though. The KQC suggests that Crispin may or may not be a persona he has adopted and that he may or may not have once been Merlin and that Cedric is Archemedes.

Well in KQ6 we learn of yet another mysterious wizard which some think died, others think poofed himself into an Aardvark. He was the only wizard he land knew! There is also a myth that the Isle o Wonders was created by a wizard according to the Guidebook, but I'm digressing.

Could it be possible that Haroun alRashid was just another persona for Crispin? He neither died nor shapeshifted. This could explain why he knew of he Islands location!

In KQC the court wizard (Haroun?) knew were Serenia was, and sent Derek there from the Green Isles!

If the wizard is Crispin/Haroun, it would certainly explain why he would both know where Green Isles is, and also why he would know where Serenia is!
    but the KQC's statement that fairies (in the KQ universe) must spend one day a week in the form of an animal is a concept I haven't come across in any traditional fairy tales yet

As for the one week thing, I'll look into it, there must be some kind of inspiration behind it. Most of Peter Spear's material has something inspiring it. If I discover anything I'll post my findings. It would be funny though, if it turned out to be another idea taken from the Green book, or the other fairy books by that author!

Edit: Well, I did come across this reference to a 14th c. french fairy tale, something about the Legend of the Fairy Melusine.

She was a fairy who was married to a human. She would transform into a half-serpent creature one day out of every week, in this case because of a curse.

It certainly seems to share similarties to the rules mentioned about fairies in KQC, and could be the inspiration for the idea (there may be similar stories elsewhere though). See here.

Edit 2: Apparently, the idea of shape shifting Snow Leopards is a common theme in ancient myths... So Peter could have gotten that idea from assortment of stories. See here, for more information!

Seriously don't underestimate Peter Spear, or the various KQ authors for dredging up obscure Fairy Tales and sources of myth!
  • edited March 2011
    Seriously don't underestimate Peter Spear, or the various KQ authors for dredging up obscure Fairy Tales and sources of myth!

Speaking of that, I find it rather hard to believe that at least one of the writing duo known as Kenyon Morr wasn't aware of this little ditty when Kingdom of Sorrow was written.
  • edited March 2011
    Fascinating, thanks for that!

Hmm, we should start a thread, just on trying to track KQ characters/events/etc, and the myths they are connected to!
  • edited March 2011
    Fascinating, thanks for that!

Hmm, we should start a thread, just on trying to track KQ characters/events/etc, and the myths they are connected to!
    I believe the KQ Omnipedia has already noted this, but the Magic Fruit which Rosella seeks out in order to save Graham's life in KQ4 is taken from the Tale of the Three Princes in the 1001 Arabian Nights, wherein a prince, one of three brothers, saves the life of a dying princess with a magic fruit.

(Funny thing: there was a TV miniseries version of the Arabian Nights about a decade ago, which featured this story... but in the TV version, the prince must save his own father's life, instead of saving a princess.)
  • edited March 2011
    The Magic Fruit is actually devised from several legends.

The Tree of Life (see KQ4 AGI?), from the Garden of Eden (not to be confused with the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil). It is also connected to the magical fruit of the Garden of Hesperides, guarded by the giant serpent!. Of course, the fact that it is a serpent, could also roughly be connected back to the the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, in a round about way!
    Wow...and wasn't the gap between KQ4 and 5 just one year? That Alexander is one incredibly busy young man.

Well, 'nearly a year' to a 'year' depending on the source.
  • edited April 2011
    Looking back at the Narnia books, in The Magician's Nephew there's a magical tree in a walled garden, on which grow silver apples. The tree is guarded by a phoenix nesting in its branches. The book's hero, Digory, gains a fruit from the tree and gives it to his seriously ill mother, who is healed by eating it.

There's also a Golden Apple from the Tree of Life in The White Snake, a story in The Green Fairy Book (the same tale, in fact, which provided the magical white snake, the talking-to-animals motif, and even the helpful Ant King seen in KQ5). The hero of The White Snake is told by a princess that he must bring her such an apple if he hopes to win her hand; with the help of animals he befriended earlier, he succeeds in the quest, wins the princess's heart, and becomes king.

The Green Fairy Book is very interesting, in fact, and seems to have provided a LOT of inspiration for KQ.

For instance, in its tale Prince Narcissus and the Princess Potentilla the hero uses a magic ring, which when worn grants invisibility, to court a princess without being observed by an evil enchanter, who also covets her hand. This may well have inspired the magic ring of invisibility in KQ1. (As in KQ1, and most unlike the One Ring in Lord of the Rings, this ring is not malevolent in any way.)

There's also Prince Featherhead and the Princess Celandine, whose heroine hails from the Summer Islands. Possibly this was an inspiration for the Green Isles, home of Princess Cassima, first mentioned in KQ5.
  • edited April 2011
    Looking back at the Narnia books, in The Magician's Nephew there's a magical tree in a walled garden, on which grow silver apples. The tree is guarded by a phoenix nesting in its branches. The book's hero, Digory, gains a fruit from the tree and gives it to his seriously ill mother, who is healed by eating it.

This actually was likely inspired directly from the Biblical Tree of Life, C.S. Lewis was known for inserting a large amount of Biblical allegory into his stories. The walled off garden is inspired by Eden. Infact, much of the Magician's Nephew is inspired from the story of Creation!
    For instance, in its tale Prince Narcissus and the Princess Potentilla the hero uses a magic ring, which when worn grants invisibility, to court a princess without being observed by an evil enchanter, who also covets her hand. This may well have inspired the magic ring of invisibility in KQ1. (As in KQ1, and most unlike the One Ring in Lord of the Rings, this ring is not malevolent in any way.)

Magic Rings are a dime a dozen in fairy tales actually.

Tolkien's one ring, originally wasn't 'malevolent' that's a retcon made in LOTR Trilogy. Originally it was inspired by many of the traditional invisible rings of legend. In the original edition of the Hobbit, there was nothing malevolent about it (and how Bilbo obtained the ring was different), and the story was intended to be a children's fairy tale..

LOTR then drew inspiration from the Ring of Nibelung, which presented one such ring as a ring of world domination.

Peter Spear suggests that the inspiration behind the invisible ring in KQ is a fairy tale in which a ring is given to Rosimond by a fairy he encountered in the woods and talked to (not unlike Graham encountering an elf, and receiving a ring after talking to him).
    "Rosimond was given an enchanted ring by a fairy. This ring was gold with a diamond in its center, if the diamond were turned, it would render the ring's wearer invisible. The ring also had the power to give its wearer the shape of the king's son. At first the ring seemed a great gift, but grief and sorrow followed it everywhere. In the end, Rosimond returned the ring to the fairy, saying that it is dangerous to have more power than the rest of the world."

Note that Rosimond's ring is also one of the rings that suggest to have world powerful connotations, but also negative aspects (brings grief and sorrow). Albeit its not near as negative as the one in LOTR.

Rosimond also originates from the Green Book, the story is, 'The Enchanted Ring'! Other titles of the story include 'Rosimond and Braminte'.
    There's also Prince Featherhead and the Princess Celandine, whose heroine hails from the Summer Islands. Possibly this was an inspiration for the Green Isles, home of Princess Cassima, first mentioned in KQ5

I think there may also be inspiration from island hopping tales like Gulliver's Travels and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, in which each island visited includes progressively interesting cultures, and themes.

Obviously each island also is drawn upon various fairy tales and myth as well.
  • edited May 2011
    Wow, there are a lot of really dumb things listed here from the KQCs. But one that really stands out is the concept of the theory of evolution existing in a world based in Fantasy. That and the lizard people being a high tech race.
  • edited May 2011
    That's actually a DND reference or so I've been told actually. Along with the reference to Talanore and the multiverse.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizardfolk
    Actually wikipedia discusses the spacefaring lizardfolk variant there. It's the obvious inspiration, and confirms the author was a total nerd, lol.

There was also a fantasy cartoon from the 80's or 90's that had a similar premise.

As far as evolution in KQ, KQ6, more specifically the Guidebook claims that the Winged Ones evolved from the Ancient Ones!

Evolution can easily be adapted into a fantasy setting.
  • edited May 2011
    I see what you are saying and I will say that Spelljammer was an awesome campaign setting. But I still think that both takes way from the fairy tale feeling of King's Quest, but that could just be me. BTW, I belive the show you are talking about is Dinosaucers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uhZ8l56_p8

Correct me if I am wrong.
  • edited May 2011
    I don't think it bothers me personally since most of the lizardfolk references applies more to Earth's history (the world of the editor) as opposed to the World of Daventry itself. The book has a kinda Longest Journey vibe to it, world of science vs the world of fantasy. Great series if you haven't played it.

I suppose Narnia also has the touch of real world and alternative fantasy world as well. So it's a common fantasy concept.

Chronotrigger and Chronocross also pulled the the whole technologically advanced lizard race/evolution/fantasy premise with the Reptites. so maybe this concept isn't as alien to me...outside my personal suspension of disbelief.

As for dinosaucers that may very well be it!
  • edited September 2011
    The thing to remember as far as the truth of anything in the compendium is concerned... it is written by Derek Karlavaegan.

Anything said in it represents things he believes or simply heard and wrote down. In that sense, anything he says can be wrong. And if the games contradict it, we can choose to see that as being to case.

Therefore, the companion *could* be both completely canon and contain misinformation. Nothing he *says* in it need be true for the book to be canon, because if it is canon, it simply means the authors have created this character in Daventry, by the name of Derek Karlavaegan, and he wrote this fictitious book... which could be full of rumors, superstitions or even lies! (though I don't think Derek is actively trying to deceive).

And if the authors were trying to do this creative device justice (the fictitious author device) there probably would be some falsities because being an imperfect author writing about something he has little ability to verify, they are bound to make their way in there!
  • edited September 2011
    I believe he's the one who came up with idea that Hagatha is the third sibling to Mordack and Manannan. Something Roberta refuted.
  • edited September 2011
    I believe he's the one who came up with idea that Hagatha is the third sibling to Mordack and Manannan. Something Roberta refuted.

Yeah but it was also included in King's Questions, which was a Sierra product not designed or written by Peter Spear. So the idea comes from SOMEWHERE.

Consider also: Roberta didn't even know the Black Cloak Society made it into the final version of KQ6 until fans began asking questions about it; It was only an idea loosely bandied about in early story sessions.

And: In the KQC, Edgar is speculated as being the son of a fisherman. In early ideas for KQ8, Roberta had the idea that Connor would be the son of a fisherman.

Also, in the KQC, it's mentioned that Castle Daventry is rumored to have secret entrances as well as portals which allow for teleportation to other parts of the world. In KQ8, the main Castle Daventry has secret entrances (the waterfall) and the Old Castlekeep of Daventry has a portal which allows for teleportation to other parts of the world.

Also, InterAction Magazine claimed Roberta had detailed biographical and general personality information on all her characters; It claimed, for example, that she could even tell you such minutia as what Rosella's favorite color is.

Spear was not only in touch with Ken and John Williams, who were really in favor of it, but also in touch with Jane Jensen and Eluki bes Shahar (another Sierra employee). And the book got it's blessing from Roberta and if I recall correctly, Spear was allowed access to Roberta's personal notes on the games.
  • edited September 2011
    Ken Williams has mentioned on his website before, IIRC, that Roberta even got a chance to read through the King's Quest Companions to help give her input before it was even published (that's why the first edition went to print with her approval stamped on the back).

Infact, in the acknowledgements page, Peter Spear claims he worked with Roberta on at least the first, 2nd and 3rd editions! Especially on the KQ5 edition, and the 3rd Edition. Roberta went as much to give her own support of the books, which were printed on the backcovers!

He also claimed to have worked with her and Lorelei Shannon on the KQ7 material in the KQ7: Authorized Guide/4th Edition. This is also why he knew of several behind the scenes details, and cut material for the games!

It's interesting that some of his material actually made it into the games, directly referenced for example, Cedric turned to stone, appears in the updated script by Roberta used in the KQ5 for the NES...

KQ5 also makes references to the 'royal physicians' who weren't able to find a cure for Graham's Heart Attack, which was first established in his KQ4 novelization!

Peter Spear had a relation with the Williams that many of only wish we could have had! He sort of became a kind of PR for Sierra, let in on all kinds of projects, largely before anyone else got to see them! A strong friendship developed apparently, or so I've been told (when I had a chance to interview him).

The book even goes into that they first met, when Peter was sent in to interview her at a trade show about new game she had developed back in 1983 or so. After that they started inviting him to Sierra for many other things.
    Yeah but it was also included in King's Questions, which was a Sierra product not designed or written by Peter Spear. So the idea comes from SOMEWHERE.
    As I understand it Josh Mandel wrote most of the questions for that game! The artwork in the game (which is based on the world of Daventry as established in the Companion) was done by Michael Hutchison, the senior artist from KQ6...
    And: In the KQC, Edgar is speculated as being the son of a fisherman. In early ideas for KQ8, Roberta had the idea that Connor would be the son of a fisherman.
    BTW, the book never says that Edgar was the 'son of a fisherman', it says that 'people rumored he was the son of a drugged slave or a malevolent wizard".... I.E. it states clearly these were only 'rumors".
    Eluki bes Shahar (another Sierra employee).
    She was not a Sierra employee... Never was... She is a professional novelist (fantasy, scifi and romances), her real name Rosmary Edghill (eluki bes shahar is one of her professional pseudonyms, or vice versa, not sure which)... She had no connection to Sierra, except that Sierra commisioned her to write the KQ6 novel for the Companion. Actually she was commisioned by Jane Jensen from what I've been able to find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Edghill

http://www.sff.net/people/eluki/

You can find more, plus cited editorial information here;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/The_King's_Quest_Companion#Sierra.27s_Involvement
  • edited September 2011
    I'm just saying, Roberta has definitely refuted Hagatha being the sibling of Mordack and Manannan.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.