King's Quest Collection - Steam Version help needed

edited April 2011 in Kings Quest Game
Seeing how there were help topics for older Monkey Island titles, I made this one (seeing how you need to make 10 posts on Steam forums first before you can ask help >_>)

I installed the game and started with KQ5.
However, when I try to save, it says there is no disk space available or something like that.
I tried the solution of the "hardcopy KQ Collection" but then Steam doesn't let me allow to play the game.

Please help fellow KQ brothers & sisters.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    You need to install the KQ collection patches from The Sierra Help Pages. The Steam version is the same as the 2006 Vivendi retail boxed collection. Loaded with issues. The patches found on this website will fix everything in working order.
  • edited March 2011
    What MI said. The King's Quest collection comes with an old version of Dosbox that does not work very well with the game. The patch upgrades it to a newer Dosbox and fixes some other issues. When I got the Space Quest collection, I had problems with slow screen transitions and sound skipping, and using the SQ patch fixed all of this.
  • edited March 2011
    Seeing how there were help topics for older Monkey Island titles, I made this one (seeing how you need to make 10 posts on Steam forums first before you can ask help >_>)

However, when I try to save, it says there is no disk space available or something like that.
    I tried the solution of the "hardcopy KQ Collection" but then Steam doesn't let me allow to play the game.

I honestly suggest you buy the KQ Collection from www.GOG.com sure its 30$ for the whole collection but its DRM free and you can download and install it as many times as you want, plus the community is extremely helpfull.

I'm in no way affiliated with GOG it’s just my preferred Digital distributer
  • edited March 2011
    You need to install the KQ collection patches from The Sierra Help Pages. The Steam version is the same as the 2006 Vivendi retail boxed collection. Loaded with issues. The patches found on this website will fix everything in working order.

I tried that Patch, that was the above mentioned solution I tried. But then Steam won't recognise the game anymore and not start it anymore.

Halgroda wrote:
    I honestly suggest you buy the KQ Collection from www.GOG.com sure its 30$ for the whole collection but its DRM free and you can download and install it as many times as you want, plus the community is extremely helpfull.

I am not gonna pay for the game AGAIN, especially for such a price.
  • edited March 2011
    $30 for all eight games isn't all that bad of a price, especially considering they all work perfectly under any current OS by default.
  • edited March 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    $30 for all eight games isn't all that bad of a price, especially considering they all work perfectly under any current OS by default.

Well, I bought it from Steam because it was affordable with my student income.
    I want a STEAM solution, not a "go buy a different version solution".
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah that's the problem I have with Steam, they don't make much of any effort to resolve compatibility issues. I only bought a couple of games from Steam before moving over to GOG instead since their stuff works fine.
  • edited March 2011
    Have you tried running the game with ScummVM?
    That should work and you don't need to re-buy it.

http://scummvm.org/downloads/

Get a daily build from the bottom of the page.
  • edited March 2011
    You could also try just downloading the latest dosbox, and running the games executables with that.
  • edited March 2011
    You don't NEED to run it inside Steam. Just use the new shortcuts that the patches create. The Steam game overlay UI does no good for DOSBox anyway unless you're running it in OpenGL mode. And even then the resolution is small so everything would be huge.
  • edited March 2011
    I assume this collection also lacks the floppy version of KQ5, like every other collection I've seen? I've never checked to make sure, always just assumed... if there is a collection that comes with the floppy version, then it'd be worth buying for that alone.

The voice acting has always ruined KQ5 for me, I can't stand the CD version.

Anyway, it's quite pathetic how companies so often manage to mess up something as simple as a collection of old games... where just a tiny bit of effort would be enough to make sure things worked correctly. It's pretty disgusting to witness how greedy many companies can be, rushing these things out like they do :(
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, no collection comes with the floppy versions. That goes for SQ4 and KQ6 as well. And KQ4AGI for that matter. The earlier Sierra collections DID come with both originals and remakes, though. Sadly not so much since they went under.
  • edited March 2011

It's not Steam related issue, because I don't have Steam version and I get the same message. When it gives me to that message, I just select change directory and then it asks which path, I write nothing to the path field and just press OK and then it allows me to save and restore.

If that doesn't work then you could try this solution:

Sierra Help
    Problem - Problems Saving Game:
    There is an odd bug with playing King's Quest V in DOSBox. When trying to save the game, you will receive the message:

"This directory/disk can hold no more saved games. You must replace one of your saved games or use Change Directory to save on a different directory/disk."

Solution :
    You must specify the full path to the RESOURCE.CFG when starting the game. Do not start the game from the game's main executable. If the game's folder is mounted in DOSBox as the C: drive, start it from the command line with:

sierra c:\resource.cfg

You can also automate this by adding it to the autoexec section of your dosbox.conf. Just remember -- you must specify the exact path to the RESOURCE.CFG file as DOSBox will see it.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, no collection comes with the floppy versions. That goes for SQ4 and KQ6 as well. And KQ4AGI for that matter. The earlier Sierra collections DID come with both originals and remakes, though. Sadly not so much since they went under.

True, except for the KQ Collection, it only had the SCI version of KQIV and no sign of the easter egg laden AGI version.
  • edited March 2011
    That wasn't a remake.
  • edited March 2011
    It did, however, have enough small differences that would have made it nice to have seen it included for posterity's sake.
  • edited March 2011
    If that's the case, then they should have included all the EGA versions of VGA games as well (SQ1 Remake, KQ5, SQ4, LSL5, PQ3, etc all had alternate EGA versions). Where do you draw the line? At least Sierra went usually above and beyond giving as much content as possible. I believe they gave out the originals along with the remakes because they saw that the remakes weren't a market and people still wanted the originals.
  • edited March 2011
    I actually think the KQ4 AGI version would have been a worthy game to include in their KQ collections... I feel it's quite different than EGA version of their various VGA games as it's their only game released in two 'engines'... which to me seems a lot more novel than simply EGA versions of their VGA games.

And it would have saved me the trouble (and money) of getting on eBay seperately.
    Same with the floppy versions of their various CD games, KQ5 especially... as KQ5 won't even let you disable voices and use text instead. So you're stuck with the horrible voices, completely ruining the game for me (and I imagine most people, at least people having played the floppy version first).

Even though they can easily be bought online, I'd still prefer to have them in the collections as well... for the sake of completeness and also - I would prefer having them on CDs (I can of course burn backups to CDs but it's not the same :p) as floppies are much more unreliable.

I don't see much reason not to include these things seeing as they take up so little space. Even if they were worried that people might get confused, or need more support etc... they could've included them as bonus features you could find on the CD (not in the installation menus and such), like other bonus features you often got on those collections (Nick's Picks or whatever it's named, etc).

Oh yeah, I would also liked to have seen the various early Hoyle games featuring Sierra characters included, but this is one thing I would never expect to be included and obviously would never complain about not being there... just something I think would have been really cool to have included.

This one Leisure Suit Larry collection I have is especially cool with bonus features... forgot what it's called exactly, "Ultimate Pleasure Pack" or something like that... which came with extras such as the Laffer Utilities and such.

But I agree the Sierra collections, despite not including everything I would have liked, were really good... they were what really got me into buying Sierra games in general, and the very first game collections I ever bought.

I obviously played many Sierra games before buying any of these collections, but I hadn't started 'collecting' Sierra games until I started getting the collections (for a few years, I played most of them at a friends place as I had an Amiga... and Sierra was notoriously bad at porting their games to the Amiga, you have to look long and hard to find ports as lazy and rubbish as the Sierra ones).
    The reason I bought a PC in the first place (I really preferred the Amiga) was so I could play Sierra games.

My favourite Sierra collection (not my favourite games by any means, far from it - I mean my favourite collection as in the one I think was the best one when it came to including lots of cool little extras and such) has to be the Roberta Williams Anthology.
    It's really fantastic, including several of Robertas Apple II games (not ports or anything obviously, just 'images' you could run using an included Apple II emulator... which is the way I prefer it anyway... unaltered games is much cooler in my opinion than when they've been messed with to make them compatible with modern operating systems etc).
    Not that I ever spent all that much time playing these Apple II games, but I still think it's really cool of Sierra to have included these.
    One thing I remember thinking when I got this collection and finding the Apple II games on there was how cool it would have been if they had done a similar thing with the Kings Quest collection and included the NES version of KQ5 and a NES emulator... but Nintendo being Nintendo, I could see this bringing nothing but trouble :p

Also has Colonel's Bequest and Dagger of Amon Ra, and of course the Kings Quest games. But even in this one, you don't get the floppy versions of games also released on CD.

And it even had quite large scans (for the time anyway, still not bad resolution at all) of the game boxes of the games included. Sadly they only included scans of the front of the boxes, I would have loved to have scans of the back of the boxes as well... but even so, a really cool thing to include in my opinion.

Was a bit bummed it didn't include The Black Cauldron as I understood she was involved with that project as well, but I've also read this was designed by Al Lowe..? I can't remember, I don't think I ever fully read up on that.
    I guess maybe she wasn't all that heavily involved with it (?) or maybe there were copyright issues as the game is based on a Sierra movie.
    Thank god for the internet making it so easy to pick up these 'missing' games seperately, or it would have annoyed me a lot more.
  • edited April 2011
    is there any way of getting that KQ collection patch to work with the version included in the Telltale Adventure Bundle? I've tried installing it and it says that I don't have the collection.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm not sure. Check for help at http://sierrahelp.com.
  • edited April 2011
    Actually, check my thread on the help pages on here. I put a copy of my executable setup for DOSbox in there that you can just copy and paste into all of the config files to make all the games work as intended. Except for the intro vid for 6. I still can't get that to play with sound.
  • edited April 2011
    Except for the intro vid for 6. I still can't get that to play with sound.

You can't get the opening movie from KQ6 to work? For the DOS or the Windows version? It works just fine on mine for both.
  • edited April 2011
    It works, just dead silence. Except for the music.
  • edited April 2011
    For which version? both?

the DOS version runs well under DOSBox, the Windows version runs well under ScummVM. As such, either version has different settings to modify.

EDIT: Ohh... wait, you mean the music plays but the voices aren't heard? All the voices or just the narrator's voice? If I recall correctly, the DOS version of KQ6 has written narrator lines that are not spoken during the opening movie, though Alexander, Valanice and Cassima do have speaking parts. It's the Windows version of KQ6 where the narrator's lines are spoken during the opening movie.

DOS intro: (no narrator voice) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_lYIBSwot4&t=50s

Windows intro: (voiced narrator) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBKp9vxlT4
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, not only do none of the voices work on the DOS version in DOSBox, but it skips and pixelates alot. Either way, it at least does work in ScummVM.
  • edited April 2011
    Does the "audio" field in your resource.cfg file point to where your resource.aud file is (from DOSBox's perspective)?
  • edited April 2011
    It's a shame King's Quest VII doesn't work in Scummvm yet since that's the only game I had any problems with in that collection (videos don't work).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.