Was anyone else disappointed with Season 3's ending? (SPOILERS)

2»

Comments

• edited April 2011
    The Penal Zone seemed to be a nice place to spend a weekend. Even after Sam and Max send Skun-ka'pe back into it, in "The Penal Zone", he comes escapes without any mention of how he did it, though I could have missed that bit of information.
    It's actually explained: Papierwaite stole the toybox, which was powering the new Penal Zone.
    (I don't think they explained how Skun-ka'pe escaped the first time, though).
  • edited April 2011
    Tilan wrote: »
    It's actually explained: Papierwaite stole the toybox, which was powering the new Penal Zone.
    (I don't think they explained how Skun-ka'pe escaped the first time, though).

Oh, okay.

This is my last 2 cents:

I liked the series when the main plot did not come out until the end of the season. Season 3 revolves around the toys that connects everything, but I liked back in Seasons 1 and 2 when i went from Mobsters to Giant Evil Robot Lincoln to the Matrix.

Season 3 felt more like Skun'kape attacks with toys to old film with toys to Skun'kape attacks with Toys but is foiled by Sammun-Mak who has toys to Sam apocalypse to Cthulu with toys.
  • edited April 2011
    If I had a main complaint about the ending and episode five it would be that it was too disconnected from the rest of the season. Without the sudden Max turning into a daikaiju the season could of just ended there. I haven't played the game in a while but Superego didn't really have any role in the events of the previous episodes.
  • edited June 2011
    I found season three to be quite refreshing compared to the first two in graphics and gameplay and found the cliffhangers and music cues rather perfect, BUT the only problem (at least from my point-of-view) was that I had got this game to cheer myself up after my dad died, so WHAT do you (yes, you Telltale) end this incredible five-part game with... killing the one reason I ever got into S&M! (I still can't watch the end credits without wailing.)

Great, now I have something else to add to my "therapy bills" list. I hate you yet love you at the same time Telltale!

And don't think I didn't see BOTH of your tagged-on last-minute "Don-Bluthy" type endings. They were good but I still am scarred for life from his (and many other animated) films.

But still, I love what you've been doing with this series and when you do make/release seasons four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, etc. I'll be ready with my PayPal on standby, and please try to end with some more "heart-warming" not "oh-my-god-I-want-to-commit-suicide-after-playing-this-y", especially since there's a one to two-year gap between seasons.

EDIT: I guess you were trying to make the series more emotional or, dare-I-say-it, "human", but this seemed like quite a stretch... I'm still crying over a 3D bunny. Thanks Telltale... NOT!
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah but it hurts so good
  • edited June 2011
    Did everyone forget the part of the ending where the time traveling elevator arrived from nowhere and out popped a Max from an alternate reality? While yes,the Save Sybil part seemed REALLY out of place for a character like Max,you have to remember that Sam isn't his only friend and that despite his sociopathic tendencies,he still chooses to do the right thing in the end. Morals can sometimes be hard to notice under a personality that seems not at all concerned about morals.In other words,Max is more chaotic good than anything,he does the right thing,he just does it HIS way. I personally liked the ending because at that point,despite the silly factor still there,it was obvious that things had gotten serious. (A first for the series considering that all other season finales before this still had a normal intro.) But instead of closing the series for good,they make it so that if they want to,they can make another season.That last part after the credits was obviously done for the purpose of making a happy ending fitting for the series (I.E. Some space thing from nowhere restoring most if not all of the status quo) as well as opening potential for new seasons to come,just don't expect any news about it for a while.
  • edited June 2011
    Something that annoyed me was at the end of ep 5 where New Max comes in i hate that!!! we went through 3 seasons with old Max and now theres a new Max. Here's how i would have ended season 3 when you see Sam look out at the statue he sees a flashing star but then its crashing down into him. Sam jumps out of the way and then it turns out its Skunkape's ship and its broken and run down then Stinky runs out of it and says im going back to fast food and goes back to the diner. Sam walks inside and sees Skunkape in one of the cages. Sam sees Max back to normal on the floor. Sam walks up to Max and sees him and a tear comes out of his eye and he thinks back that this all started with Skunkape invading earth and he shouts at Skunkape ''ILL KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DONE TO MY LITTLE BUDDY'' Then he looks down at Max again he puts his head down and then Max burps in his face and laughs then Sam says little buddy??? Max gets up and says ''ha ha you got my stinky breath'' and Sam says u got me buckethead and Max says ''Sam where have i been for these last 2 weeks i had an appointment to throw Jimmy Two Teeth out our window'' and Sam says ''you crack me up little buddy''. Sam says wait! Jimmy was in his rat hole when the buliding turned into the new Penal Zone! Max says oops looks like we got a new crime fighting adventure filled next case.They walk out with Skunkape shouting SAM MAX U FORGOT TO LET ME OUT hello??? guys. Then Max walks in and says Does Skunkape Want The Banana? and Max holds a Banana out in front of Skunkape then Sam shouts COME ON BUCKETHEAD!!! WE GOT A CASE so thats how i would end the story.
  • edited June 2011
    Commas are your little buddies.
  • edited July 2011
    If I had a main complaint about the ending and episode five it would be that it was too disconnected from the rest of the season. Without the sudden Max turning into a daikaiju the season could of just ended there. I haven't played the game in a while but Superego didn't really have any role in the events of the previous episodes.

if u think about it he might of had something to do the plot of the penal zone because in ep 5 we see that super ego had a astro projection toy in max's brain and he could of used that to tell that skunkape was coming and anyway if the tumor was still in max it would have still blown up
  • edited July 2011
    something that annoyed me was at the end of ep 5 where new max comes in i hate that!!! we went through 3 seasons with old max amd now theres a new max heres how i would have ended season 3 when u see sam look out at the statue he sees a flashing star but then its crashing down into him sam jumps out of the way and then it turns out its skunkapes ship and its broken and run down then stinky runs out of it and says im goin back to fast food and goes back to the diner sam walks inside and sees skunkape in one of the cages and sees max back to normal on the floor sam walks up to max and sees him and a tear comes out of his eye and he thinks back that this all started with skunkape invading earth and he shouts at skunkape ILL KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DONE TO MY LITTLE BUDDY and then he looks down at max again he puts his head down and then max burps in his face and laughs then sam says little buddy??? and max gets up and says ha u got my stinky breath and sam says u got me buckethead and max says sam where have i been for these last 2 weeks i had an appointment to throw jimmy two teeth out our window and sam says you crack me up little buddy and sam says wait! jimmy was in his rat hole when the buliding turned into the new penal zone and max says oops looks like our new crime fighting adventure filled next case and and they walk out with skunkape shouting SAM MAX U FORGOT TO LET ME OUT hello??? guys then max walks in and says now whos knocking who out and hits skunkape with a baseball bat then sam shouts COME ON BUCKETHEAD!!! WE GOT A CASE so thats how i would end the story.

They're the same Max they just have different recent memories.
  • edited July 2011
    not really u can gress from wat max says at the end of ep 5 where sam was the one that turned into the monster u can see its a different max
  • edited July 2011
    No it's the same Max from Season 2. They just diverged during the temporal split. Consider it like this: It's the exact same person (when talking about memories) up until about a year ago, when their memories change.
  • edited July 2011
    if u think about it he might of had something to do the plot of the penal zone because in ep 5 we see that super ego had a astro projection toy in max's brain and he could of used that to tell that skunkape was coming and anyway if the tumor was still in max it would have still blown up

That sounds like you are refering to the powers of the future vision rather than the astral projector, the first tells the future and the second tells peoples memories and the memories of their ancesters (?).
  • edited July 2011
    okay, i compleatly agree with (ryannumber1gamer) because i do not like how they replaced max with another, even if it was a year ago it still isnt the same one and if he did come from a year ago then what the hell none of that would have happened because max was in the future with sam savy?
  • edited July 2011
    That sounds like you are refering to the powers of the future vision rather than the astral projector, the first tells the future and the second tells peoples memories and the memories of their ancesters (?).

yes but if super ego is inside maxs mind he can use maxs powers which means he can still tell
  • edited July 2011
    okay, i compleatly agree with (ryannumber1gamer) because i do not like how they replaced max with another, even if it was a year ago it still isnt the same one and if he did come from a year ago then what the hell none of that would have happened because max was in the future with sam savy?

yeah it is not the same max!!! it does not matter if there memorys r the same up to a year ago if sam turned into the monster does that mean that sam has the powers in that differnent universe that the new max come from and the thing that annoyed me most that this was my first telltale game i mean i played act 1 and 2 of wallace and gromit flight of the bumblebees when i got it on disc but my sister lost it =| but i never played a full episode of telltales game then i heard about sam and max when one of my favourite reviewers on youtube mentoned them then i made a telltale account but didnt buy any games yet so then on christmas day i got my ps3 and i got sonic adventure and some ps1 games then i played the demo of sam and max season 3 the penal zone and i loved the jokes and the gameplay in the demo so the next day or the next 2 days i got it on my ps3 and loved the episodes but inagine my anger and surprise after playin my first telltale season that i found out the max i enjoyed all 5 episodes DIED!!!! and then a new max just pops up i mean i think my ending would have suited all fans here and then i got season 1 and 2 and loved them and was more pissed off that max died and then i played tales of monkey island demo loved it and brought tales of monkey island and the rest is history but back on track ITS NOT THE SAME MAX!!! he came from a different universe hes not the same one! and heres a paradox if max didnt have his powers how did he not get brainwashed in sam and max save the world episode 1
  • edited July 2011
    Has Max ever been faced with Actual impending destruction as opposed to the chaotic expectation that there might be destruction?

I think his last act there was his true nature. I feel there were always shades of being good - the animated start to the original game shows him helping out by destroying the bad guy, only to drive away and leave her tied up, not in danger but otherwise not helped any more than necessary.

Whereas here he is in a perfect no-grey-area situation, he still helps as much as is necessary, it just means his destruction, and the real Max comes through just for that moment.

Eh, then again, maybe not :D
  • edited October 2011
    I believe that Skunkape clones himself, girl stinky, and I'm guessing SamunMak; (possibly Sal) sometime in the future. I got that from this

you mean sam and max travel 2019? (this is true, i like to say
    GREAT SCOTT!
    )
  • edited October 2011
    I'm a tiny bit drunk and this is an anonymous forum, so let me embarrass myself. Played the games again, and I still love the ending. The way they have a brief, awkward pause, and then immediately get over it is brilliant writing.

I read the comic books I had endlessly when I was younger, and when I first sparked an interest in comedy writing, I scanned over them tons of times to try and see what made me love it so much. One thing I noticed was how Sam and Max only actually care about something when it risks their ability to hang out together.

Neither actually get bothered about the other getting hurt or maimed, but if it ends up preventing them from the status quo, that's when they start to care. Max wouldn't hesitate to shoot Sam, but if he died or even just gained other interests, the lagomorph'd probably be inconsolable. It's selfish and just a little sweet, and it makes their amusement at all the crime and danger a lot funnier, seeing them as three dimensional characters. They don't make quips cause they're cartoons, they do it cause they don't give a shit (especially Sam, who pretty clearly knows better)

If there's a season 4, I imagine it'd be most in character that they never mention the time clone thing again, aside from a single handwaving remark. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm a tiny bit drunk and this is an anonymous forum, so let me embarrass myself. Played the games again, and I still love the ending. The way they have a brief, awkward pause, and then immediately get over it is brilliant writing.

I read the comic books I had endlessly when I was younger, and when I first sparked an interest in comedy writing, I scanned over them tons of times to try and see what made me love it so much. One thing I noticed was how Sam and Max only actually care about something when it risks their ability to hang out together.

Neither actually get bothered about the other getting hurt or maimed, but if it ends up preventing them from the status quo, that's when they start to care. Max wouldn't hesitate to shoot Sam, but if he died or even just gained other interests, the lagomorph'd probably be inconsolable. It's selfish and just a little sweet, and it makes their amusement at all the crime and danger a lot funnier, seeing them as three dimensional characters. They don't make quips cause they're cartoons, they do it cause they don't give a shit (especially Sam, who pretty clearly knows better)

If there's a season 4, I imagine it'd be most in character that they never mention the time clone thing again, aside from a single handwaving remark. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Can we all just agree to this? Because this is absolutely correct.
  • edited November 2011
    In my opinion, the ending to The City That Dares not sleep was worse then the Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama. Seymore and Max, we miss you both.
  • edited November 2011
    Is there really two endings in this game? We only saw one! :)
  • edited November 2011
    grouik wrote: »
    Is there really two endings in this game? We only saw one! :)

Depends on the choice you make: Recall Adventuring or Recall Crimefighting
  • edited March 2012
    Ok this is a bit off subject but im just thinking something. In They Stole Max's Brain after the world is changed and everyone is brainwashed. Max is fine because of his powers but Sam should be fine too because of the anti-hypotise hat he got in Season 1
  • edited March 2012
    Nope. He took his hat off when he went into noir mode. Really hosed himself there.
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah but 2 things 1. when the world is brainwashed he has his hat on and when the world is back to normal he has his hat on
  • edited March 2012
    crfh wrote: »
    Commas are your little buddies.

It Has Been fixed and i updated a part
Sign in to comment in this discussion.