What are the effects of the 6th sense cards supposed to be a parody of?

When Guybrush opens up the Chest of Foreshadowing and picks up the 6th Sense tarot card, it has some sort of psychedelic ripple effect for a short time. What is this ripple effect supposed to be a parody of, anyway? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYYOcnweDTc

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I thought it was just a cool effect.
  • edited April 2011
    Is that an optical illusion effect?
  • edited April 2011
    I don't think it's a parody of anything in particular. It's just a case of multiple reflexions, just like when you place two mirrors one in front each other and you look to one of them, or like the Mr. Rental scene on Spaceballs. You can easily get that same effect on Portal, creating two portals as if they were the mirrors I said before.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    The effect isnt a parody of anything, and for all intents and purposes its done "practically" or "in camera." I mean, the game is obviously all 3D animated, not filmed with a camera, but to achieve the effect, I actually built a huge tunnel of cards in the jungle, in the game engine, and flew the camera back through the tunnel getting faster and faster. Half way through the animation, I quickly popped the whole tunnel around to be behind Guybrush's hand instead of in front of it, so the effect ends where it began. The actual idea, and the core art for it, came from telltale tester/choreographer Nick Mastroianni (who you can see in today's April Fools clearly real video up on the blog).
  • edited April 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    The effect isnt a parody of anything, and for all intents and purposes its done "practically" or "in camera." I mean, the game is obviously all 3D animated, not filmed with a camera, but to achieve the effect, I actually built a huge tunnel of cards in the jungle, in the game engine, and flew the camera back through the tunnel getting faster and faster. Half way through the animation, I quickly popped the whole tunnel around to be behind Guybrush's hand instead of in front of it, so the effect ends where it began. The actual idea, and the core art for it, came from telltale tester/choreographer Nick Mastroianni (who you can see in today's April Fools clearly real video up on the blog).

I see. Thanks, Jake Rodkin. :)
  • edited April 2011
    Once again Jake delivers with some awesome behind the scenes info... You're one of the best TTGers dude.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.