Re-release Surfin' the Highway book??

edited July 2006 in Sam & Max
I never bought this book as a teenager, and ever since I have been going out of my mind to find a copy. I wish they would just rerelease it and make everyone happy.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2006
    You're not the only one! I'm sure one will come along eventually - I doubt Steve Purcell really likes that his comics are out of print and unavailable for purchase, and a new series of games coming out (not to mention the new story being told in the webcomic) is a pretty good reason to re-release the collection. Who knows if there are any official plans in this regard (I sure don't!) but we can all keep our fingers crossed. My copy of the Surfin the Highway collection is a bit worn at this point from frequent reading, and I really want to replace it with something new and less collector-y :)
  • edited April 2006
    I used to own a mint condition of this book but somehow I lost it! It's so damn frustrating, I think about it every time I read about Sam & Max. I really hope they will re-release it :(
  • edited May 2006
    C'mon Steve, get in on this one and make us all amazingly happy. In 1995 when the compilation came out I was 7 years old, and thus far too young to know about the awesome of Sam and Max. I just want a chance to make up for lost time here. My recent finding at a local comic book store of the Freelance Police Special #1 has only served to stoke the fires of my fandom. Bring on more Sam and Max!
  • edited May 2006
    a re-release of the book would be great! I have a copy but it has been read to DEATH! I would love to have one that i could keep in good condition and read my other one to complete and utter ruin!
  • edited May 2006
    I'm glad I still got my copy..i've read it so many times over the years.. I think steves on record as saying he didnt want to re-release it until he had some new material to go with it.. a re-release to coincide with the new sam and max game would be perfect
  • edited July 2006
    still waiting!

edit: hey Hiero, have anymore lost sam & max episodes to put on youtube?
  • edited July 2006
    edit: hey Hiero, have anymore lost sam & max episodes to put on youtube?
    :-$ That's illegal. Anyway, YouTube will delete them anyway, sooner or later.
  • edited July 2006
    I happen to be one of the lucky people in posession of a copy of Surfin' the highway. I also have a copy of it loaded onto my computer. If anyone would like a copy, I could post it online at megaupload.com, and you can PM me if you want the link. I think the download is about 100 megs... (I assume this is legal, considering that the book is now out of print).
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    (I assume this is legal, considering that the book is now out of print).

Nope, sorry, it isn't.

It's a nice offer, but we really can't let people pass around illegal copies of Steve's work here.
  • edited July 2006
    OK, good to know...
  • edited July 2006
    I happen to be one of those lucky people who own a pirated scanned version of surfin the highway.
    I added the new pages Steve did on this site as well as the art for the CGW cover and some other comic scan's not originally included in the book. :D
  • edited July 2006
    I finally got my copy on eBay and found out after I won that Steve Purcell was the seller. He drew an amazing color sketch of Sam and Max in my book. I was staggered. I have a scan of the sketch if anyone would like to see.

The book is great. And I do wish they would re-release it. Steve Purcell though has stated that he doesn't want to re-release the comics when they're all so old, because its just a reminder of how little he's done with them. He wants to have new material to add and then do a new collection I think.
  • edited July 2006
    I was lucky enough to buy an original paperback version of Surfin' the Highway from a New Zealand auction site for NZ$15 last year (The guy selling it presumably had no idea how much it was worth :)). I would also quite like to see the comic on this site being updated. I haven't been here for some time so maybe I missed some sort of announcement but although Steve Purcell I believe has a real PAYING job it'd be fan-tucking-fastic if he could see to making a few more pages sometime.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    I haven't been here for some time so maybe I missed some sort of announcement but although Steve Purcell I believe has a real PAYING job it'd be fan-tucking-fastic if he could see to making a few more pages sometime.

The webcomic is still being done. Steve just got busy doing game-related stuff, and since he does have a full time job his time to work on Sam & Max is limited. So when the game production got busier, the web comic had to lapse. (Don't forget that since the last webcomic came out, he did that E3 poster for GameTap and the cover art for the CGW article, both of which I'm sure were time-consuming.)

He currently has two more pages of the webcomic in the works, and he told me at Comic-Con that they'll be done very soon. :)
  • edited July 2006
    It's not for everyone, but I've actually put one of my copies of Surfin' the Highway (yes, I have more than one) up on eBay. It's a fancy schmancy hardcover collectors edition, which is signed and numbered by Steve. You might want to check it out if you're still looking for a copy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&item=120013485558
Sign in to comment in this discussion.