Question for Monkey Island veterans

I have only played Secret of MI and Le Chucks revenge, should I try to play the other 2 before playing Tales? I know it isn't a requirement, i'm just wondering for those of you that had if you feel you got more out of it than you would of if you had skipped.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Hi jgbrunn! Welcome to the forums!

Personal opinion: Yes, I warmly recommend playing them in order. That way, you will understand the story better. Besides, Curse of Monkey Island is absolutely superb from an artistic and musical point of view. And the story is awesome. And the voice work. And the...well, just play it :)

And for all the tiny cool references, it's totally worth it to play MI3 and MI4. :D
    If you don't have the patience for it, at least watch some "Let's Play" on youtube.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    I'd definitely recommend playing at least Curse of Monkey Island (#3 in the series) before Tales. Partly because it's a much-beloved game among Monkey Island fans, but more because there's a character in Curse who returns in Tales. At that point it's really nice to have that backstory from the earlier game.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I will try to ebay #3 and 4 then if not I will try to find a youtube video like you recommended.
  • edited April 2011
    You won't need to play EMI really but id recoment it the games very funny. CMI is important because they are lots of throw backs in the game to CMI and important plot points relating to it.
  • edited April 2011
    I would say you don't need to play either, really, Tales is self-contained enough. It has a few back references to Curse so you may want to play that first to get a couple of little jokes here and there, but Escape is almost completely ignored in Tales, and it's the worst game in the series, so I wouldn't bother with that one.
  • edited April 2011
    I would recommend playing them in order, with its ups and lows.
  • edited April 2011
    theres a scene in the trial and execution of Guybrush Threepwood where Elaine talks about all the things that Guybrush did in the previous games that you wouldn't understand unless you played all the previous games.
  • edited April 2011
    I recommend it also that you play 3 and 4. TMI has a ton of throwbacks to the past four games so playing will help catch some of the inside jokes it has. Plus it's MI, that should be enough of a reason to get the entire series. :D
  • edited April 2011
    I would play them in order, but I don't think there's anything wrong with playing them in whatever order you like, if you feel like you can't wait. Monkey Island is a series of games you'll play again and again if you get as involved as many of us are, so you'll always have the chance to play them in order eventually.

Of course, if you're planning on playin through once and then forget about them, just to scratch them off your list of games you need to have played before you die, then I suggest playing them in order. But Monkey Island is a series you'll want to return to, so I don't think that willl be an issue.
  • edited April 2011
    I recommend Curse, it's quite fun. Never managed to get very far in Escape, because the controls were so awkward (same applies to Grim Fandango). I've heard they're good, but because it was so hard just to move around and talk to the other characters, I never made much progress.
  • edited April 2011
    I'd definatly recommend curse, it was my first MI game, and what made me want to play MI... escape is a good game, however i'd recommend playing the ps2 version if you have a ps2
  • edited April 2011
    You can skip escape because telltale did their best to avoid that game in terms of story and references. It wasnt Lucasarts best work:o
  • edited April 2011
    or its worst
  • edited April 2011
    I highly recommend Curse. It's a masterpiece.
    I also recommend Escape. While it's by far the worst Monkey Island game ever, it's not as bad as many people say. The first acts are quite good indeed.
  • edited April 2011
    hamza721 wrote: »
    or its worst

To be honest, I have a difficulty calling any of the LucasArts adventures "its worst", since they all hold such a high quality. Even the earliest ones are great. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders or Maniac Mansion are certainly not going to top the list of favourite LucasArts (or even Lucasfilm) adventure games anywhere anytime soon, but calling it "the worst" brings a certain negative vibe to it that I wouldn't want to associate it with.
  • edited April 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    To be honest, I have a difficulty calling any of the LucasArts adventures "its worst", since they all hold such a high quality. Even the earliest ones are great. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders or Maniac Mansion are certainly not going to top the list of favourite LucasArts (or even Lucasfilm) adventure games anywhere anytime soon, but calling it "the worst" brings a certain negative vibe to it that I wouldn't want to associate it with.

Yh but the comment above that was saying its not its best so hes saying its not its worst either.
  • edited April 2011
    They are all worth playing. In fact imo, Curse and Tales are every bit as good as MI2, which is of course saying a lot.

Tbh, Escape is good and I say it's worth a play, but at the same time the story does make sense if you skip Escape as the only references to it in tales are 1 mention of LeChucks forms and 1 ingredient in something (trying not to spoil anything lol).
  • edited April 2011
    Play them all, and in order, I say. That way you can guarantee that you'll get all of the references and inside jokes. Also, you don't want to miss any vital story element, which 'Curse...' and 'Escape...' both contain.

And anyway, they're both really great games which you should experience for the enjoyment too. 'Curse...' is, I believe, one of the greatest adventure games ever created, and 'Escape...' is pretty great too, and provides some of the best laughs of the series. Also, I encourage you to go into 'Escape...' with a positive attitude. A lot of people will try and convince you that it's by far the worst game of the series, or that it's a complete mess. Many of them only say these things mostly because it's become sort of 'cool' to rip on 'Escape...'. So I encourage you to ignore all of that and just form your own opinion of the game.
  • edited April 2011
    I love Escape myself :p
  • edited April 2011
    Escape is pretty cool, but certainly not my favorite. The things I don't like with it are the controls, the redesign of LeChuck's zombie form,

(spoilers)

the monkey head statue/robot and the identity of our beloved yet deranged castaway

EDIT: Oh, and Monkey Combat, of course.
  • edited April 2011
    well I got curse in the mail today, got it on ebay so i'm sure it will take up a good chunk of my evening. Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Yaaaay! Hope you love it.
  • edited April 2011
    I think you will be REALLY happy you decided to play Curse.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.