Does Guybrush have autism? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

I have a feeling about Guybrush Threepwood. It just occurred to me that he has some kind of weird behavior, as he appears youthful and has an attitude of a child, often being a kleptomaniac and acting a bit of a doofus. However, he appears to have a razor-sharp wit, a caring personality, a childlike love for Elaine; and appears to be highly literate, able to read long passages of literature and pronounce extremely complex words and phrases without having to think about it or sound it out. This is surprising as Guybrush mentions several times throughout the series that he dropped out of school (though he has earned his supernatural ability to hold his breath for 10 minutes in college) and most pirates lack conventional skills in areas of schooling. This may be a testament to Guybrush's more intelligent side and that while he may lack common sense and a complete educational background, he is much smarter than a majority of the characters in the series. (For example, in Secret he becomes a talking dictionary when asked if the word "keelhaul" means anything to him ("Keelhaul / Ke(e)l-hol. 1: to haul under the keel of a ship as punishment or torture."), and he even acts like a speaking clock when looking at the clock at the top of the Long John Silver Center for the Performing Arts! :D )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guybrush_Threepwood#Personality

So I've been wondering whether Guybrush has autism. I suppose his behavioral patterns may fall into the Autism spectrum category, unless I could be wrong, you know.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    i doubt it
  • edited April 2011
    I doubt it was an intentional move from the writers. In fact, I know it wasn't intentional. But it's true that have some autistic traits and behavioral patterns/habits, as you've pointed out here, Deb. But these traits and characteristics are shared by many fictional characters; a lot of television characters and video game characters are characterized this way in order to make them both quirky & interesting, as well as making them intelligent and relatively educated.
  • edited April 2011
    actually, he would more likely have aspergers syndrome...
  • edited April 2011
    nah, sounds more like a child with a wild imagination.

in an amusement park (let the shitstorm begin)
  • edited April 2011
    Neptun wrote: »
    nah, sounds more like a child with a wild imagination.
    in an amusement park (let the shitstorm begin)

Actually, that probably won't happen; we've debated and discussed this point to death, we all have our own theories and don't really bother trying to convince each other because we all know that none of us have a proper answer.
  • edited April 2011
    he suffers from VarioLeChuckus (anybody take medical terminology in their further education, I have been helping my wife study) as seen in Tales of Monkey Island buy it now!
  • edited April 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    I doubt it was an intentional move from the writers. In fact, I know it wasn't intentional. But it's true that have some autistic traits and behavioral patterns/habits, as you've pointed out here, Deb. But these traits and characteristics are shared by many fictional characters; a lot of television characters and video game characters are characterized this way in order to make them both quirky & interesting, as well as making them intelligent and relatively educated.

Well, perhaps Cracked.com has a list of the 12 Video Game Characters With Undiagnosed Mental Disorders to explain to (though one of them is more of an anime character with a Pikachu that is mislabeled as a "cat", and "Princess Toadstool" is never called "Princess Peach" even though she appears in many Mario games).
  • edited April 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    he suffers from VarioLeChuckus (anybody take medical terminology in their further education, I have been helping my wife study) as seen in Tales of Monkey Island buy it now!

Someone's got mod syndrome
  • edited April 2011
    What the **** wrong with autism, i have a section of it
  • edited April 2011
    No one insulted autism. So chill man. Now I would issue a lock warning if I were a mod, saying something like, 'let's not get all offensive/offended over misunderstandings and have to lock another otherwise interesting thread."
  • edited April 2011
    There talking about it! THEY MUST BE INSULTING IT!!
  • edited April 2011
    actually, he would more likely have aspergers syndrome...

Either that or Pervasive Developmental Disorder--Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS).
  • edited April 2011
    Short answer: no

Long answer: er, no.
This discussion has been closed.