BTTF:TG Episode 01 - It's about time > alternate beginning

edited February 2012 in Back to the Future
Before TTG published episode 01, there has been a lot of speculations about the return of the delorean. It was explained in the first episode but there has also been a lot of criticism about the story of duplication.
It was stated that the delorean was destroyed in BTTF 3 and by preventing paradoxons it was also not possible for Doc to borrow or steal a Delorean from any other time we saw in the movies.
Either Doc built a new one or.... well we follow the dupication-theory (which brought a new element in the BTTF universe).

But I think there could have been another possibility and thus episode 01 would have started like this:

Sunday
October, 27th 1985 - 12.04 pm

We see the destroyed DeLorean on the train track. Marty and Jennifer appear. She agrees that there's not much left, Marty finds the picture of Doc standing beside the clock and is sad about the fact that he won't ever meet him again.
Suddenly the bells of the gates at the railroad crossing beginn to ring when the gates start to close.
Within seconds the reentry of the timetravel train boosts Marty and Jen away. Doc. Marty. It is steam-powered. Clara. Jules. Verne.
Where are you going? Back to the future? No, I've already been there.
The train starts to hover, goes up in the sky and turns around.

So far the opening is just the same as the ending of BTTF3, but ingame.

We see Marty and Jen looking into the air when the train accelerates and vanishes into the wormhole just leaving firetrails behind when suddenly there are the bangs of the reentry at the railroad crossing and a Delorean appears streetwise, slammes it breaks and stops on the road. The outside is frozen, vapour is raising into the air. It is the Delorean but with the whitewall tires from the 50s and the upgrade on the hood. It is clearly the same one that Marty used to travel to 1885.
Zoom to Marty's face showing wariness when he says: "What the hell is going on here?"

Then the logo appears: Back to the Future: The Game.

While the credits appear the camera moves slowly across the remaining parts of the Delorean on the train track, showing it from different angles. As the credits are over the camera stops at the second Delorean with the 1955 parts. The Door opens and we see Marty wearing his clothes from 1985A getting out. He just looks down the street moves his hand through his hair and says "Great. Everything looks great" before he gets back into the car and drives away. Marty and Jennifer follow the leaving car with their eyes until it gets out of sight.

From now on we have control of Marty.

Later on in the game we find out that because Marty prevented Doc from being shot in 1885 and the tombstone vanished there wasn't any reason for Marty in 1955 to travel back to 1885. So 1955 Doc repaired the Delorean from Delgado Mine and Marty travelled back to 1985. That's the reason why there is a Delorean in Episode One and the destroyed one on the train tracks is not the "last one". Of course we have to fix the problem that there are now 2 Martys roaming around in 1985.

What do you think of that?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I think you're completely destroying the logic of the BTTF universe. With that logic, there is now another Marty that hasn't been to 2015/1955 (a second time) running around. This is getting heavy Doc! That would make 3 Marty's in the same time all co-existing. What a mess!
  • edited April 2011
    jweir wrote: »
    I think you're completely destroying the logic of the BTTF universe. With that logic, there is now another Marty that hasn't been to 2015/1955 (a second time) running around. This is getting heavy Doc! That would make 3 Marty's in the same time all co-existing. What a mess!

Which is the third one?
    In BTTF I at the end when Marty returned 10min earlier he basically sees himself travelling to 1955 at Lone Pine Mall.... (in fact it would be a Marty that grew up with George being a SCI-FI writer and so on) But he is more or less himself.
    So after BTTF I -> one Marty in 1985.
    In BTTF II... well actually after fixing the sports-almanac problem in 1955 they restored the original timeline.... so the Marty and Doc from 2015 wouldn't return to Hell Valley but the "right" 1985.
    Just leave them there and follow the "almanac-destroying" Marty in 1955. He gets Docs letter from 1885 and travels to the wild west, preventing Doc from getting shot.
    After that Marty leaves 1885 in the Delorean at the ravine..... and a couple of years later Doc leaves the wild west with the timetravel train.
    Years are passing by until in 1955 the tombstone is not there anymore so the "almanac-Marty" then just leaves for 1985 because he thinks Doc is happy in the wild west. He leaves 1955.
    Well and then after another 30 years when it is 1985 we will have Marty and Doc from the "almanac-fixed" 2015 returning.... Marty from 1885 returning and Doc with the timetravel-train arriving AND Marty from 1955 returning. Are these the 3 Martys? But hell we have 2 Docs too!
  • tope1983 wrote: »
    Which is the third one?
    In BTTF I at the end when Marty returned 10min earlier he basically sees himself travelling to 1955 at Lone Pine Mall.... (in fact it would be a Marty that grew up with George being a SCI-FI writer and so on) But he is more or less himself.
    So after BTTF I -> one Marty in 1985.
    In BTTF II... well actually after fixing the sports-almanac problem in 1955 they restored the original timeline.... so the Marty and Doc from 2015 wouldn't return to Hell Valley but the "right" 1985.
    Just leave them there and follow the "almanac-destroying" Marty in 1955. He gets Docs letter from 1885 and travels to the wild west, preventing Doc from getting shot.
    After that Marty leaves 1885 in the Delorean at the ravine..... and a couple of years later Doc leaves the wild west with the timetravel train.
    Years are passing by until in 1955 the tombstone is not there anymore so the "almanac-Marty" then just leaves for 1985 because he thinks Doc is happy in the wild west. He leaves 1955.
    Well and then after another 30 years when it is 1985 we will have Marty and Doc from the "almanac-fixed" 2015 returning.... Marty from 1885 returning and Doc with the timetravel-train arriving AND Marty from 1955 returning. Are these the 3 Martys? But hell we have 2 Docs too!

i think the previous posters are following the logic that if you intentionally travel through time with the goal of changing the timeline and succeed, this should erase the time travel altogether since there'd be no reason of changing the timeline;
    -Doc wouldn't have any reason to take Marty to the futur since the children are in jail
    -biff wouldn't need to steal the almanac and delorean if he were already rich
    -doc and marty wouldnt need to go back to 1955 since the biffhoric timeline is avoided
    -marty wouldnt need to travel to 1885 because there is no tombstom of doc dying

I don't subscribe to this theory but if I did; part I's trip to 1955 still happens because this was an unintentional time travel and not one with an inention to change the timeline.
    Docs trip to 2015 at the end of part I still happens; it is an intentional time travel but not one to change the timeline. But he'd get there, look marty up and find everything is fine.

But yeah the original idea doesn't work because if you subscribe to the theory that martys trip to 1885 doesn't happen, you have to back track it to everying prior to part II. Plus Jules and Verne would not be born if not for marty in 1885; doc and clara still hook up without marty there but doc dies.
  • edited February 2012
    Ok. I understand what Tope1983 is getting at. What Tope is trying to say is because of the actions by Marty/Clint Eastwood in 1885, the Marty in 1955 (after burning the Sports Almanac) was never to see Emmett Browns tombstone. Therefore leaving Marty no reason to go back to 1885 and proceed directly to 1985. Its an interesting course but... the idea woulden't work without some kind of explination. First of all.. it goes without saying that Doc would not be alive (and the tombstone would not dissapear) if it wasn't for Marty traveling to 1885. Without Marty traveling to 1885, the tombstone would still be there and Doc would've died. Its a paradox. So no matter how, Marty will hafta see the tombstone.

That and reason two.. Its impossible for the original Marty returning from 1885 to cross ways with an ulternate Marty returning from 1955 because they'd be in two ulternate dimensions. They both took two VERY different paths and would end up in two different outcomes unwhich neither would be connected. The only explination that I can consider is (say Marty from 1955 was not able to see the tombstone and going along with Doc's wishes traveled directly to 1985) that in the process of replacing/building the needed parts to time travel.. the replacement parts (although similar.. not quite the exact same product) not only made the DeLorean capable of time travel but also accidentally made it capable of interdimensional travel and Marty returning from 1955 somehow crossed over to the Marty thats returning from 1885's dimension.. but I'd think that thats when the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Or.. they'd simply pass out from shock. It seems like a mind boggling yet interesting path but without an explination of interdimension havoc.. this crosseyed course is impossible with just time travel. Thanks for sharing an idea to get us thinking though, tope.

-Robert- :cool:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.