Portal 2 BttF reference easter egg

edited September 2011 in Back to the Future
Pretty cool little nod to the Flux Capacitor in Portal 2.

fluxportal.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Hah! Never noticed that! It's clearly a reference!
  • edited April 2011
    ESPECIALLY the 'ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE' line. Reminds me of Doc's 'You can Accomplish Anything if you Put your Mind to it...."
  • edited April 2011
    lol NO WAY!
  • edited April 2011
    Dang it, I really want Portal 2...why did I have to buy both Tron movies, three volumes of Futurama, and Mario 64 DS? :(
  • edited April 2011
    Why did I have to buy both Tron movies, three volumes of Futurama, and Mario 64 DS? :(

Because you clearly have amazing taste in media. All those purchases are completely understandable.

On topic, when I arrived at that part in Portal 2, I knew it looked familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'm glad you brought it up because it's been bothering me for a while.
  • edited April 2011
    Clearly a potato is capable of generating the 1.21 gigawatts necessary to power the time circuits. Of course, that would probably have made the first movie really short.
  • edited April 2011
    Because you clearly have amazing taste in media. All those purchases are completely understandable.

On topic, when I arrived at that part in Portal 2, I knew it looked familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'm glad you brought it up because it's been bothering me for a while.

Yes, but I completely forgot about Portal 2...man...good thing GlaDOS isn't real, or I'd be in trouble. :p
  • edited April 2011
    ...man...good thing GlaDOS isn't real, or I'd be in trouble. :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGXced_f8sG2fH6LMB8BTOiuv_CsJLpGE45orimjHrtmwigvhtnw&t=1

There was going to be a party for you, a big party, that all your friends were invited to. I even invited your best friend, Companion Cube, but he couldn't come because you didn't buy Portal 2. It's a shame. I even made you a cake. I guess it will have to be thrown away.

Despite the fact that you chose not to purchase Portal 2, I'm not even mad. I think we can put our differences behind us...for science.

You monster.
  • edited April 2011
    By the way, I put forth that that device be hear-by referred to as the Aperture Science Weighted Flux Dispersal Device.
  • edited April 2011
    Weird Science as well seems to be referenced.

Seems like the Portal 2 guys made sure to play BTTF The game well before it actually released.

No wonder they have a portal-2 flux catheder.
  • edited April 2011
    Your future is whatever you make it . So don't listen your future!

221794_2022571121921_1173264082_32460874_4590940_n.jpg

This is from Portal too !!
  • edited April 2011
    lol classic
  • edited April 2011
    Looks nothing like the Flux Capacitor other than the box housing is vaguely the same shape, which is hardly surprising considering that it's a... box.
  • edited April 2011
    hk_ben wrote: »
    Your future is whatever you make it . So don't listen your future!

221794_2022571121921_1173264082_32460874_4590940_n.jpg

This from Portal too !!

I really hoped to see a future shadow or something...
  • edited April 2011
    nOmArch wrote: »
    Looks nothing like the Flux Capacitor other than the box housing is vaguely the same shape, which is hardly surprising considering that it's a... box.

But look at it again, it's got the red sticky-labels in the same spots. :)
  • edited April 2011
    A couple of red sticky labels does not a FC nod make. And if it were a nod then I would of thought they would of made sure the two labels at the top lined up properly.

I can see it does look a little bit like an FC but only in the way a cloud sometimes looks like a plane or something.
  • edited April 2011
    ok so the box housing, the colour of the box, the perpects cutout, the rubber trim and the red labels.

And you still think it isn't meant to be a take on the Flux Capacitor. The reason they didn't make it look 100% the same is that would be a breach of copyright and they'd get in trouble.
  • edited April 2011
    smallo wrote: »
    ok so the box housing, the colour of the box, the perpects cutout, the rubber trim and the red labels.

what's a perpects? anyway the hole shape cut in the box is wrong, red labels are not lined up properly and the rubber seal is a different thickness.
    And you still think it isn't meant to be a take on the Flux Capacitor. The reason they didn't make it look 100% the same is that would be a breach of copyright and they'd get in trouble.

yup, let me reiterate.

Anyway po-tay-to, po-tar-to. For me there is not enough to call it a nod, plain and simple.
  • edited April 2011

*reads post*

*looks at username*

*quietly shakes head*

;)
  • edited April 2011
    Spykes wrote: »
    fluxportal.jpg

That means that the children at Apeture Science were trying to build a time traveling potato!!!! It all makes sense now, the conspiracy is true. Vegetables ARE evil!
  • edited April 2011
    tobar wrote: »
    *reads post*

*looks at username*

*quietly shakes head*

;)

Don't judge me. It's not like I see the flux capacitor on a regular basis.

*looks at username*

...Damn.
  • edited April 2011
    what's a perpects? anyway the hole shape cut in the box is wrong, red labels are not lined up properly and the rubber seal is a different thickness.

yup, let me reiterate.

Anyway po-tay-to, po-tar-to. For me there is not enough to call it a nod, plain and simple.

yeesh... you must miss a LOT of easter eggs!
  • edited April 2011

The blue lights and red labels make it a clear homage. It's not a flux capacitor because Portal is a different universe, but it's inspired by one.
    anyway the hole shape cut in the box is wrong, red labels are not lined up properly and the rubber seal is a different thickness.

"First Citizen Brown can't possibly be Emmett. He has glasses, short hair, and isn't wearing a radiation suit!"
  • edited April 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    It's not a flux capacitor

Of course not. It's an Aperture Science Weighted Flux Dispersal Device.
  • edited April 2011
    Sugar Rush wrote: »
    yeesh... you must miss a LOT of easter eggs!

No I don't but then again I don't consider this to be one. I never said you guys couldn't think/decide/know it was an homage. it just simply isn't for me.
  • edited April 2011
    No I don't but then again I don't consider this to be one. I never said you guys couldn't think/decide/know it was an homage. it just simply isn't for me.

Yesh you're s stubborn melon.

A metal box of same colour with similar cut out on the front and simialr pulsing light device inside; only made into a portal shape rather than true flux, with almost perfectly matched labels in front of a display that says "anything is possible" and "with science" is obscured.

Anything is possible is like a core catch phrase of doc and the "with science" part is a GlaDos reference

It could not be MORE of an obvious easter egg nod to bttf if they put a giant neon sign saying looking at our fake flux capicator y'know like the ones from bttf
  • edited April 2011

Then what the crap is it then?
    Easter eggs usually do have things altered. That baby cant be you. He is way too short. Anakin cant be Darth Vader, he isnt in a robotic suit, and he's a Jedi.
  • edited April 2011
    or a tomato can't be fruit because it tastes like a vegatable....

a potato only generates around 1.1 volts so it wouldn't work anyway... maybe 1.6 if it had some magnesium bars stuck in it ...

also are you saying it can't be for a joke / lame fun or is your mind incapable of handling a paradox ?

i'm putting myself in the bttf homage 'blatant' reference group

not keen on the aperture science weighted flux device project name it implies this thing 'is heavy'

i'll go with aperture science chrono dialation unit.
  • edited May 2011
    or a tomato can't be fruit because it tastes like a vegatable....

a potato only generates around 1.1 volts so it wouldn't work anyway... maybe 1.6 if it had some magnesium bars stuck in it ...

also are you saying it can't be for a joke / lame fun or is your mind incapable of handling a paradox ?

i'm putting myself in the bttf homage 'blatant' reference group

not keen on the aperture science weighted flux device project name it implies this thing 'is heavy'

i'll go with aperture science chrono dialation unit.

Of course it's "weighted" everything Aperture Science is "weighted."
  • edited May 2011
    not everything,

turrets, the boots, the radios, coffee cups, and chairs lol ;)
  • edited May 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Yesh you're s stubborn melon.

A metal box of same colour with similar cut out on the front and simialr pulsing light device inside; only made into a portal shape rather than true flux, with almost perfectly matched labels in front of a display that says "anything is possible" and "with science" is obscured.

Anything is possible is like a core catch phrase of doc and the "with science" part is a GlaDos reference

It could not be MORE of an obvious easter egg nod to bttf if they put a giant neon sign saying looking at our fake flux capicator y'know like the ones from bttf

For you yes, for me, no. simple as that. I can't be bothered to explain AGAIN why I think it's not, It just isn't (for me) OK?
  • edited September 2011
    Sorry for bumping this, but I made this earlier today.

ASFDD.jpg
  • edited September 2011
    Ha ha! Awesome poster!
  • edited September 2011
    Great motivational poster, Shadowknight! Love the quote.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.