Turn subtitles on/off in game/cutscenes?

I tried the game, but there are no subtitles during the cinematics.
Because the game is english only and very difficult for anyone not mothertongue (like me) due to the slang used.

I know that BINK video format can have subtitles: there is a way to activate them?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I already had Hector on the iPhone but bought it again with the assumption that there would be a subtitle option in the settings. I was really surprised not to see one (unless I'm missing something?) Obviously it's great that the subtitles exist, but I always turn them off in humor games because they ruin the timing of the jokes.

Any chance of an update?
  • edited April 2011
    I can't find a way to turn subtitles off in the PC version either :( Strangly enough they are only on in-game, not in the cut-scenes.
  • edited April 2011
    I want subtitles during FMV cutscenes!!!! Why there aren't???
  • edited April 2011
    I'd like to turn on the subs too.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, where are the subtitles during the cinematic scenes? English is not my native language and I NEED the subtitles to understand some of the "urban american" jargon that, unluckily, Telltale use so much on their games... :(
  • edited April 2011
    I need it too :(.
  • edited April 2011
    PLEASE give me an option to turn the subtitles off!!! They COMPLETELY ruin every joke because you can read each line before the character has finished saying it.
  • edited April 2011
    Megaace wrote: »
    English is not my native language and I NEED the subtitles to understand some of the "urban american" jargon that, unluckily, Telltale use so much on their games... :(

Surely in this case it would be "urban British"?
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, you'd think there would be an option to turn the subs off since there aren't any in the in-game scenes in the trailer.
  • edited April 2011
    Got an idea.
    Could any genuine nice English gentleman transcript the dialogues in the .BIK cutscenes for us? They're easily found in the game directory. :)

EDIT: You'll need RAD Video Tools to see those
    http://www.smacker.com/bnkdown.htm
  • edited April 2011
    Surely in this case it would be "urban British"?
    Britains, americans... All of them speak the same nonsense for me... :P

But of course the game is pure british... :)

Telltale... Are you going to fix the no-subtitles problem of the cinematic scenes??? I can't play the game without them...
  • edited April 2011
    Megaace wrote: »
    Telltale... Are you going to fix the no-subtitles problem of the cinematic scenes??? I can't play the game without them...

Me neither...
    I bought the PC version instead of the cheaper iPhone one cause I thought you would have fixed that...
  • edited April 2011
    Hi !

I too would like the subtitles in the cinematic scenes !

Please, TTG ? :-)
  • edited May 2011
    I agree, quite incredible..
  • OMAOMA
    edited May 2011
    Sorry, Telltale, but you did an sloppy job with the subtitles in this game. You managed to annoy BOTH groups of people:

* The ones who, like me, want subtitles to catch everything, because videos don't include subtitles
    * The ones who don't want any subtitles at all, because they don't need them to understand everything, and they seemingly ruin the jokes (I don't have that problem since when reading subtitles, I tend to read at the speed the characters talk; not that I read that slow otherwise)

So, why the lack of subtitles in the videos? It can't be that hard to synchronize some subtitles with the video.

And why disabling the option to remove in-game subtitles for people who want that? That's a feature already available in EVERY Telltale game ever released except this one. It didn't take any extra effort to leave that as it was. Why remove the option?
  • edited May 2011
    OMA wrote: »
    Sorry, Telltale, but you did an sloppy job with the subtitles in this game. You managed to annoy BOTH groups of people:

* The ones who, like me, want subtitles to catch everything, because videos don't include subtitles
    * The ones who don't want any subtitles at all, because they don't need them to understand everything, and they seemingly ruin the jokes (I don't have that problem since when reading subtitles, I tend to read at the speed the characters talk; not that I read that slow otherwise)

So, why the lack of subtitles in the videos? It can't be that hard to synchronize some subtitles with the video.

And why disabling the option to remove in-game subtitles for people who want that? That's a feature already available in EVERY Telltale game ever released except this one. It didn't take any extra effort to leave that as it was. Why remove the option?

Telltale didn't actually develop the game, they only published it. Straandlooper developed it so they are a better target for criticism.

Was the ability to toggle subtitles on iPhone or are you just talking about other Telltale games?
  • edited May 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Telltale didn't actually develop the game, they only published it. Straandlooper developed it so they are a better target for criticism.

That maybe true but this is a Telltale Forum and they could at least answer the questions. Otherwise they shouldn't release stuff which they don't develop because where is the point in having a forum in which you cannot reach the people responsible?
  • edited May 2011
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    ]Otherwise they shouldn't release stuff which they don't develop because where is the point in having a forum in which you cannot reach the people responsible?

I'm sorry but this logic is insane. You are saying Telltale shouldn't publish a game they didn't make because their forum only covers Telltale games. I don't even know where to begin with that?

You know what, I don't have the patience at this moment in time to point out how wrong that is so I'm just going to agree with you because it's easier. How dare Telltale give a little indie developer the chance to reach a wider audience! They should have known there would be bugs, and that people couldn't use their forums as an avenue to complain about those bugs! I'm so angry right now I'm going to go punch a kitten in the face, and it's Telltale's fault because they allowed it to happen! TELLTALE, YOU MONSTERS!!!
  • OMAOMA
    edited May 2011
    Well, as far as I know, Telltale DID develop the PC version of Hector, using the audio and graphic assets from the iPhone game, which was developed by Straandlooper, sure, but the PC version is a port made by Telltale in the Telltale tool, so if it doesn't have any settings for subtitles (so there's no subtitles in videos and forced subtitles in the game) it's their fault.

Please, stop the sarcasm. I think this is a valid complaint. Maybe one could argue that creating subtitles for the videos is extra work (though I think they should have added them anyway for consistency and quality, not to mention helping non-native English speakers and even hard-of-hearing people), but adding a "subtitles on/off" option for the rest of the game so subtitles can be disabled for people who don't want them should be trivial. There's no reason not to include it.
  • edited May 2011
    Well, as far as I know, Telltale DID develop the PC version of Hector, using the audio and graphic assets from the iPhone game, which was developed by Straandlooper, sure, but the PC version is a port made by Telltale in the Telltale tool, so if it doesn't have any settings for subtitles (so there's no subtitles in videos and forced subtitles in the game) it's their fault.

Actually, I think Telltale has made it clear that Straandlooper developed all versions of the game, using the Telltale Tool for the PC/Mac version.

But it doesn't really matter -- it's entirely appropriate to address concerns about the game to the publisher, especially when said publisher provides a forum for doing so on the same site where the game is sold. It's usually the case that publishers, not developers, are ultimately responsible and accept tech support duties. (A Telltale staffer has already responded in a thread about a different issue with the game, indicating they acknowledge their role.)

It's wrong to suggest that Telltale can wash its hands of responsibility for the game just because they didn't actually develop it themselves. I understand the sarcastic response to the statement that Telltale shouldn't publish games it doesn't develop. But I took that statement to mean that "Telltale shouldn't publish games it isn't willing to take responsibility for", and that is a perfectly legitimate thing to say.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm sorry but this logic is insane. You are saying Telltale shouldn't publish a game they didn't make because their forum only covers Telltale games. I don't even know where to begin with that?

No, I am saying that a forum without anbswers is pontless! What good is support If there isn't any? This is the first game where Telltale doesn't post anything to help people with their game and this just sucks. I have expected much better service from Telltale which I have received in past times for games they HAD developed. So I'd rather not have a game without support at all than having a game which doesn't work for me without nobody to help me with.
  • edited May 2011
    You know what, I don't have the patience at this moment in time to point out how wrong that is so I'm just going to agree with you because it's easier. How dare Telltale give a little indie developer the chance to reach a wider audience! They should have known there would be bugs, and that people couldn't use their forums as an avenue to complain about those bugs! I'm so angry right now I'm going to go punch a kitten in the face, and it's Telltale's fault because they allowed it to happen! TELLTALE, YOU MONSTERS!!!

I think you are forgetting that there is some money in the game - money paid by the customer - so you should have somebody to help you or at least answers your questions. If Telltale can't do this I won't mind If the developer answers but here's NOTHING - ZERO - NADA - and for that, yes, I am angry!

And I don't have the patience to even comment one single word of your sarcasm! You have no prepblem throwing money out of your window? Go ahead but don't criticize people who want service for their hard earned money and not just silence.
  • edited May 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    ...But I took that statement to mean that "Telltale shouldn't publish games it isn't willing to take responsibility for", and that is a perfectly legitimate thing to say.

And that is ecactly what I meant. All I want is an answer and I get none. If Telltale would say that they can't do anything - there's an answer. If they'd say it was too expensive - there's an answer. What I hate is the silence - there are many complaints and as far as I could see no answer from Telltale OR the developer.
  • edited May 2011

Please, stop the sarcasm. I think this is a valid complaint. Maybe one could argue that creating subtitles for the videos is extra work (though I think they should have added them anyway for consistency and quality, not to mention helping non-native English speakers and even hard-of-hearing people), but adding a "subtitles on/off" option for the rest of the game so subtitles can be disabled for people who don't want them should be trivial. There's no reason not to include it.

I'm sorry but I don't think "Telltale shouldn't have produced this game because their forums aren't a valid avenue for complaining about it" is a legitimate complaint. In fact I don't think it even makes sense. And to my knowledge Telltale didn't help develop the game, they only helped port it to their engine. If the original iPhone game didn't have subtitle choices and the port doesn't I still maintain that that is Straandlooper's fault, not Telltale's. And being Straandlooper's fault I don't think Telltale "shouldn't release stuff which they don't develop because where is the point in having a forum in which you cannot reach the people responsible?" I mean what does not being able to complain about bugs on this forum have anything to do Telltale publishing or not publishing other dev's work?

Edit
    thom-22 wrote: »
    I understand the sarcastic response to the statement that Telltale shouldn't publish games it doesn't develop. But I took that statement to mean that "Telltale shouldn't publish games it isn't willing to take responsibility for", and that is a perfectly legitimate thing to say.

That's a fair call, and I agree. I think my problem was how the how the complaint was written. I just looked at the words as they were written without trying to figure out what he actually meant to say.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm sorry but I don't think "Telltale shouldn't have produced this game because their forums aren't a valid avenue for complaining about it" is a legitimate complaint. In fact I don't think it even makes sense. And to my knowledge Telltale didn't help develop the game, they only helped port it to their engine. If the original iPhone game didn't have subtitle choices and the port doesn't I still maintain that that is Straandlooper's fault, not Telltale's. And being Straandlooper's fault I don't think Telltale "shouldn't release stuff which they don't develop because where is the point in having a forum in which you cannot reach the people responsible?" I mean what does not being able to complain about bugs on this forum have anything to do Telltale publishing or not publishing other dev's work?

You still don't understand me. My problem is not that Telltale has published the game - my problem is that the customer pays for it and has NO - NADA- ZERO support which makes this forum kind of useless. They can publish what they want but they should not do as if they care for the customer with this forum. To make it easy: THEY SHOULD ANSWER THE QUESTIONS! This is all that I'm asking for and if they have developed it or not - I don't care. They could at least answer "Sorry, we can't help you" but there is absoluteley nothing. No reply and no explanation - except from you and I think you're not from telltale so this doesn't count for me as "support".
  • edited May 2011
    That's a fair call, and I agree. I think my problem was how the how the complaint was written. I just looked at the words as they were written without trying to figure out what he actually meant to say.

Sorry - i am from germany and english isn't my mother tongue. I try my very best to make it clear what i mean but to write this in english is not so easy for me and so there is of course the possibility of a misunderstanding.
  • edited June 2011
    I've been waiting a lot since I bought the game, hoping that we could get those subtitles, but I suppose once you've got our money, don't care about us... I've bought all your games, and I understood that you were still too little to make worldwide localisations (or even subtitles......) but AT LEAST we had the english subtitles. But with this game, you have completely ignored all your international customers. I'm really really disappointed with you this time. I miss the old times...
  • edited June 2011
    Ok, here's a "me, too" post. I'd like to get subtitles for the cut scenes as well ... puleeze!

Cheers,
    Wahnfried
  • edited June 2011
    Hello, everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I've passed a request up the ladder to have the option to display dialog subtitles during cutscenes included in episodes 2 & 3 of Hector. :)
  • edited June 2011
    Hello, everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I've passed a request up the ladder to have the option to display dialog subtitles during cutscenes included in episodes 2 & 3 of Hector. :)

Good job there buddy!!!!!!!

33kg2ok.gif

And if you want you can you sneak in the idea of multilanguage too, I will not get angry! :D
  • edited June 2011

Thanks a lot! :)
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks, but any chance for an update on episode 1? I also want them...
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks, but any chance for an update on episode 1? I also want them...

I'll second that!
  • edited June 2011
    Applause-1.gif
  • edited June 2011
    To get back to topic:
    Is there any chance to get subtitles in the game?
    If I understand the former post correctly, there is no chance to get subtitles in the cutscenes - but in the normal game there should be some?
    I see them in the screenshots on the Hector-Homepage, but in my game there are NO subtitles, neither in the cutscenes nor in the normal game...
    Does anyone know how to get these (existing) subtitles in the normal game get to work?
    Thanks a lot!
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    PanamaJAG wrote: »
    To get back to topic:
    Is there any chance to get subtitles in the game?
    If I understand the former post correctly, there is no chance to get subtitles in the cutscenes - but in the normal game there should be some?
    I see them in the screenshots on the Hector-Homepage, but in my game there are NO subtitles, neither in the cutscenes nor in the normal game...
    Does anyone know how to get these (existing) subtitles in the normal game get to work?
    Thanks a lot!

That's rather odd. In my game the subtitles are on automatically, and there's no option to turn them off. It's like they're built in.
  • edited July 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    That's rather odd. In my game the subtitles are on automatically, and there's no option to turn them off. It's like they're built in.

Could it be a graphical glitch, like with how I can't see the Yes/No graphics when I go to quit Puzzle Agent 2 on my laptop with a crappy Intel GPU?
  • edited September 2011
    Just got ep 1 yesterday night, and for me too the lack of subtitles in cutscenes is a HUGE setback, especially given the marked British (Irish?) accent... I can barely understand a word!!

I was even considering to ask for a refund: what's the point at all of an adventure game if you doesn't understand a significant part of story progression??
  • edited September 2011
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    Just got ep 1 yesterday night, and for me too the lack of subtitles in cutscenes is a HUGE setback, especially given the marked British (Irish?) accent... I can barely understand a word!!

I was even considering to ask for a refund: what's the point at all of an adventure game if you doesn't understand a significant part of story progression??

HERE you can find the transcript of the Ep1 cutscenes .
    Don't worry, on the second episode there are full caption.
  • edited September 2011
    Oh, thanks! :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.