What Style Of Game

edited February 2013 in The Wolf Among Us
Pretty self-explanatory and apologies if I've missed it announced anywhere but what type of game are we expecting for Fables? Similar to any other TTG properties or something completely new?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    We don't know anything about Fables right now except "It exists." And with so much stuff in 2011 for Telltale to promote, I suspect we won't hear anything about Fables until...I'll say fall at the earliest.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2011
    Here's a question for you.. what style of game play would you WANT it to be?
  • edited May 2011
    Some kind of adventure game would be OK, but I know someone who wants to play it, but doesn't like adventure games.
  • LexLex
    edited May 2011
    Keep on doing what you guys at Telltale are good at: Adventure games that tell original stories with existing properties.
  • edited May 2011
    Adventure game.
    Big and without bugs.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Adventure game.
    Big and without bugs.

What about with Big Guys who Eat Bugs?

Just sayin',
    Mike "Rifling Through His Back Issues" Stemmle
  • edited May 2011
    I often advocate for properties to be made into non-adventure games, but this probably should be. I've only read the first few trades, so I don't know if there are elements later on that could be better used for action games.

What I would say is that I'd rather see original stories than basing stories and puzzles directly off of arcs from the comics. Whether that means side stories, "sequels", prequels, non-canonical stories from a slightly different universe, I don't know. The idea of playing through a story I've already read isn't appealing to me.
  • edited May 2011
    Out of all the properties acquired by TTG games recently (other than KQ of course) Fables is probably the most suited to a classic-style adventure game. Certainly more-so than BttF and Jurassic Park. There are tons of interesting characters and settings already established and available for use, not to mention that the whole first volume was basically solving a mystery.
  • edited May 2011
    An adventure with a nice switching of environment would be cool, you could switch between fabletown, the farm, homeworld, arabia/arabic fable town etc etc. It would also be a lot of fun to have more than one controlable fable, to add to more challenging puzzles. i.e. use the fables abilities to come up with solutions, it would also be fun to have more than one solution to a puzzle, say bigby would solve it differently than snowwhite for example. And than as finale some big ensemble solution to a big puzzle.

As for style I think you would have to go 'realistic' in appearance.
  • edited May 2011
    bosbeetle wrote: »
    An adventure with a nice switching of environment would be cool, you could switch between fabletown, the farm, homeworld, arabia/arabic fable town etc etc. It would also be a lot of fun to have more than one controlable fable, to add to more challenging puzzles. i.e. use the fables abilities to come up with solutions, it would also be fun to have more than one solution to a puzzle, say bigby would solve it differently than snowwhite for example. And than as finale some big ensemble solution to a big puzzle.

As for style I think you would have to go 'realistic' in appearance.

Yes! Yes! and Yes! This! (Maniac-Mansion-syle.)
  • edited June 2011
    I don't think TT is good at writing stories, at least i haven't played a game from them which is really convincing in this discipline yet. Same with emotions, i guess the most emotional moment was the Bone 2 bone intro sequence and maybe a few moments with MorganLeFlay.

So beside of the hope that they surprise us with great story telling skills for a change i think i hope for solid adventure ingredients in the usual disciplines (unique puzzles, interesting dialogues, ...). I'm curious how their target audience will look like and if it's more the easy beasy not so much adventure focused BTTF mob who is fine with some second class story snippets already or a more demanding intelligent adult like audience who also cares about the quality of a game behind a franchise.

Curious how it will shape up.
  • edited June 2011
    Pretty excited about this game - working my way through the graphic novels and loving them.

I just hope they make a really great adventure game with complex but fair puzzles and keep it in a hand-drawn 2D style.
  • edited June 2011
    I somehow would find it cool if you need to steer each characters also in a different way.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2011
    "control", not "steer". It happens to a lot of Germans. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    Woher's i.A. wohl kommt?! / Scheint auch Bayern zu passieren. / Macht der Gewohnheit: u.a. Steering Behaviours, ...
  • edited June 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Here's a question for you.. what style of game play would you WANT it to be?

The first time I heard about "Fables" being adapted, I hoped it might be in the style of the first "Gabriel Knight" game - "Sins of the Fathers" - that old school style point & click.

No reason for it, I just always dug games like that and "Beneath A Steel Sky"; "Monkey Island"; "DOTT" etc. and "Fables" doesn't strike me as really working in the same style as the other "TTG" titles - I think it may come across as "too cartoony" if you used the same engine as "BTTF", "Sam & Max" etc.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd love a dark and mature graphic adventure with DIFFICULT puzzles and a great story, if it's not much asking. :D

I think that would fit the comics.
  • edited July 2011
    in terms of style... almost a semi-2d look, or cell shaded maybe, keeping the same look as the comics? i think that would be best.
    and yeah. this one kinda needs to be a classic adventure game really.
    maybe play as a different character for each episode, that brings a big story together at the end?
    i'm really looking forward to this one, fables is probably my favourite comic series...
  • edited September 2012
    Strategic Simulator, obviously. Or edutainment.

Seriously though I can't wait for this to come out.
    edited September 2012
    Seems like the spambots have a sudden interest in Fables.
    Maybe the moderators should too. ;)

The adventure game would be a complete fit. The community would certainly be happy about some "choices" also, but I think we've had enough of the attempt with Walking Dead just now. A lot of effort was poured into this game only to have the fans complain their butts off that it wasn't at all enough.

Asking Telltale for a "pure" adventure however is probably pretty futile! They'll try to bring something new to it. And I'd really want that as long as it enhances interactivity. Give the pacing back to the player. Make exploration far more interesting, smoother and quicker than it was in TWD. And add far more details to actually explore. Give PC players PC controls. If you just can't think of anything better than a full blown chock full combine items inventory, then do exactly that. Anything but just walking around with one thing from A to B. Your fans want a challenge again that isn't just mini games or even QTEs (*shudder*), something with a bit of immersion to it.

TWD's graphic style was excellent, but the environments weren't always breathtaking. Add some real multi-level architecture, make the environments way bigger, have some freedom of movement (complete with a more dynamic camera), let the main character(s) run again. I think the engine can handle it. I won't speak about graphic style because I know you won't disappoint in that respect.

If it looks like the Adam Hughes covers, you done right.
    edited October 2012
    Genre/genre. ;)

The great thing about Telltale's best game so far was that it essentially changed its narrative genre while always remaining an adventure by game genre. It had more of a science fiction vibe in episode 1, switched to a 1930s Bogart/Indy/The Sting setting for episode 2, departed into film noir for episode 3 then heavily relied on zombie movie elements for the 4th episode... while the Season finale was Godzilla/Innerspace related. The story arc did not remain without cracks, but still had solidity despite the great variation. The next episode would always be something totally different while also being part of the same story.

I can imagine something similar with Fables - the world is colorful and versatile enough.

Also, I would love to see JEJ forced once again to write completely different music for each episode. What he's writing for TWD is great, but hardly much or even challenging.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Yay! Some information on Fables is finally being released! Dan Connors revealed that Fables will have many of the same game mechanics that were in The Walking Dead.

This is apparently the reason why the game is taking longer to develop than Telltale originally intended.
  • edited February 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Yay! Some information on Fables is finally being released! Dan Connors revealed that Fables will have many of the same game mechanics that were in The Walking Dead.

This is apparently the reason why the game is taking longer to develop than Telltale originally intended.

Murg...that's a little troubling to hear, to be honest. The Walking Dead was great, but I wouldn't want Telltale to exclusively do games like that.
  • edited February 2013
    I personally liked the way they made TWD also the gameplay. I would like to see a good story driven game. But what i kind of missed, and is now hoping for, is that you can actually get some kind of advantage from exploring, for exampel items, that will help you during the game.
    edited February 2013
    Murg...that's a little troubling to hear, to be honest. The Walking Dead was great, but I wouldn't want Telltale to exclusively do games like that.

Walking Dead had some really interesting mechanics, but in retrospect, it was REALLY limited by sheer feasibility alone. It lived on the mere continuous assurance and teasing that the player could change things than actually delivering significant alternative paths. In the end, the very same people always survive, the very same people always die, a butterfly effect has not been witnessed and of course you weren't able to pick your own team for the final mission. I wondered why people were satisfied with that, but it probably is because the world of video games is almost devoid of skillfully told stories, which TWD game - in the very very narrow boundaries of the zombie genre - made the most of.

But the greater problem is Dan's description of the adventure mechanics:
    [...]where do we take adventure games from here? How do we evolve it and make it more of a storytelling medium and less of a puzzle-based medium? But I think we’ve shown a way that you can do it [...] but I don’t know if the people that played Walking Dead on XBLA are ready for an adventure game that comes out that is ‘walk around the world, pick up objects, use them on other objects, put them back in your inventory, combine two items, solve the puzzle.

The adventure genre needs to evolve, I agree wholeheartedly, and I also agree that storytelling is its core, and puzzles have to date mostly impaired a believable narration. But storytelling, by nature, is not interactive and puzzles are; and TWD has absolutely not convinced me that it showed a "way it can be done".

Inventory puzzles are a very dated way of suggesting interactivity, but at least it's a suggestion that works.
  • edited February 2013
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/18/telltale-games-39-dan-connor-talks-episode-gaming-next-gen.aspx
    Fables is coming along really well. We’ve gone back in and really tried to take a lot of what we learned from The Walking Dead and get that integrated into the story with Bigby and the characters that he meets. We want to make it a real interesting battle for Bigby between: Should he give in to the wolf side, or should he try to get along and keep everybody safe? There’s a lot of work in trying to make that work.

So... It sounds like the choice mechanic in Fables is going to be more of a two-sided Paragon-Renegade thing. Possibly.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    So... It sounds like the choice mechanic in Fables is going to be more of a two-sided Paragon-Renegade thing. Possibly.
    That sounds quite interesting actually. And, personally I didn't mind that The Walking Dead's choices didn't affect the outcome, as they did affect the character's relationships (and I liked that the characters responded realistically to you being a jerk to them (or vice-versa). It's something that I've wished for years that adventure games would do [ever since Shenmue when Ryo was a jerk to the girls he met and you didn't have any freedom to change that]).

This choice (if that is indeed what they're planning) sounds interesting too, since it will affect Bigby as a character, but also the people he encounters. If seems to be kind of like how people tried to make a "good" Lee and a "jerk" Lee. But with more of an emphasis by the designers on that point, if done right, we could have a more dramatic difference between one and the other.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.