Chapter 5 question: Dead seagull and fireflies' location: Flotsam or Spoon Isle?

Something has come to mind, and it kind of bugs me. I always thought that LeChuck had stowed away his voodoo trust charm belt buckle on Spoon Isle after having killed Guybrush and captured Elaine, but someone on the World of Monkey Island Wiki doesn't think that the dead seagull and the fireflies are on Spoon Isle where the voodoo trust charm is. He believes that the voodoo trust charm is in Flotsam Island based on the fact that there are fireflies in that jungle. One thing I noticed is that the fireflies in the jungle in Chapter 5 have made a yellow glow, while those in Chapter 4 have made a bluish-white glow. And yet these Flotsam jungle fireflies never leave the jungle. But I can't tell the difference between the fireflies with the white glow (Chapter 4) and those with the yellow glow (Chapter 5). Are they different fireflies? Based on these fireflies, in which island is the voodoo trust charm stowed: Flotsam or Spoon? Maybe the creators or someone else at Telltale Games knows the answer. :confused:

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    I think that clearing was supposed to be located "somewhere." We didn't pick a deliberate place. I had always pictured that clearing being just inland on a small otherwise unoccupied, unnamed island somewhere. An island small enough to be not important to other pirates, but big enough to have a little patch of jungle in which to stash secret stuff.
  • edited May 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    I think that clearing was supposed to be located "somewhere." We didn't pick a deliberate place. I had always pictured that clearing being just inland on a small otherwise unoccupied, unnamed island somewhere. An island small enough to be not important to other pirates, but big enough to have a little patch of jungle in which to stash secret stuff.

So what you're saying is, that unnamed island with a jungle clearing is uncharted around the Gulf of Melange besides the Manatee Mating Grounds?
  • edited May 2011
    I love the music in the clearing.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is, that unnamed island with a jungle clearing is uncharted around the Gulf of Melange besides the Manatee Mating Grounds?

I'm saying it didn't matter to us at the time is all. It existing, and how it felt when you were there, is all that mattered. I also said, regarding those details, that that's just how I personally imagined it. All that's important visa a via other locales is that it's a place which feels safe and secluded from main pirate traffic. If it's a big deal, we can all collectively agree that it's on Spoon Isle somewhere, or Flotsam, or wherever, and then that's where it is.

I am a huge Monkey Island continuity nut, but I suspect that some of the things that matter to me personally don't matter to other people. It bugs me, for instance, that the sailing race backstory made everything in everyone's lives' history completely bonkers and inconsistent, but on the other hand I don't really care where in the sea LeChuck's fortress was located in Monkey 2, for instance, or how the spatial details work out when you start asking where Dinky Island is relative to the other islands in MI's carribbean. That stuff just makes sense to me and doesn't bug me even without the details. I like that the story is sometimes a little spatially and narratively impressionistic.

Of course if you asked me what I thought The Secret was, I'd probably say that I thought it was something uselessly nebulous and impractical like "the concept of childlike imagination," so yeah. Useless, garbage, and not to be trusted with things like "where is that jungle located." Sorry!
  • edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure someone claimed ages ago that it was at that tree that you can't click on on the Phatt Island map. I'm buying that. ;)
  • edited May 2011
    Teeth wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure someone claimed ages ago that it was at that tree that you can't click on on the Phatt Island map. I'm buying that. ;)

No, it would have to be somewhere in the Gulf of Melange for LeChucks Voodoo spell (at least as far as I understood it). But seriously, does it really matter? I mean:

1. We don't need to know the exact location for story purposes.
    2. We didn't see all the places LeChuck and Elaine put the monkeys.
    3. LeChucks a villain, so only he knows his motives, so a little bit of mystery for the player is a good thing.
    4. Finally it doesn't create plot holes by not knowing where it is.

So all in all, who cares? It's a island somewhere in the Gulf of Melange that LeChuck and Elaine went to, sometime after Guybrush left the Jerkbait Islands, that Guybrush may or may not have been to himself. It didn't appear big or important, it just looked like a good place to hide things and a place needed for LeChucks voodoo spell.

I don't mean to bash this thread or anything, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.
  • edited May 2011
    Grojak wrote: »
    No, it would have to be somewhere in the Gulf of Melange for LeChucks Voodoo spell (at least as far as I understood it). But seriously, does it really matter? I mean:

1. We don't need to know the exact location for story purposes.
    2. We didn't see all the places LeChuck and Elaine put the monkeys.
    3. LeChucks a villain, so only he knows his motives, so a little bit of mystery for the player is a good thing.
    4. Finally it doesn't create plot holes by not knowing where it is.

So all in all, who cares? It's a island somewhere in the Gulf of Melange that LeChuck and Elaine went to, sometime after Guybrush left the Jerkbait Islands, that Guybrush may or may not have been to himself. It didn't appear big or important, it just looked like a good place to hide things and a place needed for LeChucks voodoo spell.

I don't mean to bash this thread or anything, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I believe it's LeChuck's charming belt buckle, not his voodoo spell!
  • edited May 2011
    I believe it's LeChuck's charming belt buckle, NOT his voodoo spell!

Not that. I mean the hypnotised monkey in the jungle. Remember? The hypnotised monkey's were part of a spell LeChuck was working on to open the crossroads. He had to cast a spell on them and then place each one in a specific spot in the Caribbean.

That's why I mentioned the island being needed for his voodoo spell and then separately mentioned that the island was also a good place to hide things. LeChuck probably realised he should hide his belt buckle there, whilst he and Elaine where putting the monkey in it's 'natural habituate'.

Oh and you shouldn't put 'not' all in capitals, it comes across as rude and when you've miss understood something, makes you look like a jerk (no offence).
  • edited May 2011
    Grojak wrote: »
    Oh and you shouldn't put 'not' all in capitals, it comes across as rude and when you've miss understood something, makes you look like a jerk (no offence).

Sorry about that. Thanks, I edited that just now.
  • edited May 2011
    Sorry about that. Thanks, I edited that just now.

No problem. Like I say I didn't mean to be rude or anything :)

But like I say all we know for sure is it's an island LeChuck and Elaine went to.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.