Alternative Magazine Online - Reviews and Interviews

edited July 2011 in Back to the Future
Back To The Future: The Game - Episode 4: Double Visions Review - Alternative Magazine Online

"This month’s episode is by far the most difficult I have had to review yet. Last month, Episode 3: Citizen Brown blew me away despite its faults. The change of location felt fresh, the puzzles were well designed (if not a tad too easy) and Claudia Wells’ return to the franchise as a punk-rock version of Jennifer Parker was delightful. I had a feeling this month would struggle to top that effort and sadly, I was correct. Double Visions is more of a stumble backwards than a leap forwards."

As always, all feedback appreciated!

Comments

• edited May 2011
    AMO's fourth exclusive monthly mini-interview with Marty McFly voice actor AJ LoCascio is now live too:

Mini Interview – Back To The Future: The Game – Episode 4: Double Visions (What Does AJ LoCascio Think?)
  • edited May 2011
    I just had some time and remembered your review. I just read it now and it seems very accurate.
    However, I did find it a bit short. Maybe I just enjoy reading your articles, so I can't really be unbiased here... but I would've liked to know your opinion on the personality-machine puzzle or the controls in the highschool area. :)

All in all a good review (the mark was a bit higher than expected). Will you be writing reviews for JP as well? What about King's Quest?

Maybe I could take King's Quest too and we make an uber-awesome collaborative review! Eh, food for thought :)
  • edited May 2011
    I don't understand how you can get the final "score" to be 7 out of 10. You yourself describe it as the weakest episode and point out those really annoying bugs (thank you by the way). I would not agree with the 1986 setting being good; Marty's guitar song sucked and Jennifer becoming lucid again that easily wasn't believable and the puzzles were poor.
    In fact the negative remarks far outweigh the positive attributes about the episode in your review, so why such a high score?
  • edited May 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    I don't understand how you can get the final "score" to be 7 out of 10. You yourself describe it as the weakest episode and point out those really annoying bugs (thank you by the way). I would not agree with the 1986 setting being good; Marty's guitar song sucked and Jennifer becoming lucid again that easily wasn't believable and the puzzles were poor.
    In fact the negative remarks far outweigh the positive attributes about the episode in your review, so why such a high score?

On AMO's Rating Scale, 7 OUT OF 10 ("Good") is described as follows – "Anything awarded at this level is good overall, but will likely be enjoyed most by people who have a keen interest in the product area/genre. Its faults are not yet overwhelming, but are noticeable enough to somewhat hamper the better aspects of the product."

I felt that this most accurately descibed my time with this episode. Although there were bugs and not enough locations, I still enjoyed the overall experience due to the characters themselves: "The relationship between Marty and the Doc – both young Emmet Brown and old, alternative reality Citizen Brown – is pushed to the limit in some new and exciting ways."

However, I have always openly admited I am reviewing these games as a fan of the franchise. Hence concluding my review with the following sentence: "Regardless, this is the weakest episode so far; if you aren’t a relatively strong Back To The Future fan, you will probably want to knock a point off my final score."

Of course, this score still makes it the weakest episode I have reviewed of BTTF on AMO. I think my scores have placed Episode 3: Citizen Brown as the best and this episode (Episode 4: Double Visions) as the worst. I guess I focused more on the negatives for this review because the positives (characters, plot) have been present throughout: it was the the brevity of the experience and the overall lack of polish that really stood out to me this month. Still, I did enjoy Episode 4 despite its problems and hopefully I conveyed this with what I wrote in my review. Thank you for your feedback!
  • edited May 2011
    I just had some time and remembered your review. I just read it now and it seems very accurate.
    However, I did find it a bit short. Maybe I just enjoy reading your articles, so I can't really be unbiased here... but I would've liked to know your opinion on the personality-machine puzzle or the controls in the highschool area. :)

All in all a good review (the mark was a bit higher than expected). Will you be writing reviews for JP as well? What about King's Quest?

Maybe I could take King's Quest too and we make an uber-awesome collaborative review! Eh, food for thought :)

Thank you for the kind words Silverwolfpet! I have explained my final score a little bit more in-depth in my reply above to caeska. I enjoy reading your reviews too! It is always very interesting to contrast your opinions with my own.

As for my thoughts on the personality-machine puzzle and the controls in the high school area: I found the personality-machine puzzle okay in theory, but a tad annoying in its execution. I knew what I had to do but doing so took several more steps than I would have liked! As for the controls at the high school, I did indeed notice there, moreso than usual, that changing camera angles would botch up the controls and throw me off a little. Nothing game breaking of course, but certainly noticable!

As far as I am aware another of AMO's reviewers, Stewart, will be covering the Jurassic Park games when they launch: I think he will be a good fit, having reviewed Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People (Wii version) for AMO last year. However, I am sure I will be voicing my own opinion on each episode directly beneath in the comments section! I basically decided to take a breather, as originally I was under the impression JP and BTTF would be overlapping.

I have very limited experience with the King's Quest series so I am unsure if I will be tackling them. However, perhaps that would be a good thing as I would have no prior investment and could approach the games with fresh eyes? A collaborate review might work quite well in that regard, we shall have to see... :p Great to hear from you as always!
  • edited May 2011
    I played King's Quest only once in my life...for 3 minutes...and I died twice.
    So I think a collabo review would be fun, funny and would certainly appeal to people who never tried the series before (like us, sort of).

If you want it to be professional and serious, I'm good for that too. I never had a video-review before and I'd like to tack;e it and see if we can come up with cool stuff. :D

Thanks for replying, mate! Good luck!
  • edited July 2011
    It's finally time! Here's AMO's fifth and final exclusive monthly mini-interview with Marty McFly voice actor AJ LoCascio!

Mini Interview – Back To The Future: The Game – Episode 5: OUTATIME (What Does AJ LoCascio Think?)

I hope you have all enjoyed reading these interviews as much as myself and AJ have enjoyed doing them! For me personally, it has been a real privilege and a pleasure.

As always, any and all feedback is very much appreciated! :D

My review of OUTATIME (referred to throughout the interview) is also available here:

Back To The Future: The Game - Episode 5: OUTATIME Review - Alternative Magazine Online
  • edited July 2011
    I really hope there is a second season of Back to The Future The Game.
  • edited July 2011
    VeryTori wrote: »
    I really hope there is a second season of Back to The Future The Game.

Me too! I'm sure AJ does too. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Great interview as always. You picked some really great questions to ask AJ and it was a nice way to end the episodes/interviews. If there is a second season, I trust that you'll get AJ again for all the episodes.
  • edited July 2011
    Its cool that there is a possibility for a season 2 cool interview with AJ it sucks that he didnt meet MJF it would of been interesting to know what he thought of AJ's impression of him thanks for asking him though.
  • edited July 2011
    Great interview as always. You picked some really great questions to ask AJ and it was a nice way to end the episodes/interviews. If there is a second season, I trust that you'll get AJ again for all the episodes.

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words. AJ is a really nice guy and always gave 100% when answering my questions. I am pretty sure if there is a second season he will come back to AMO for further interrogation! :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.