Episode 5 Now On Gametap

edited March 2007 in Sam & Max
Alright everyone, episode 5 is up on Gametap now! :)

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Well have a good time then :p I'm going to... to... hmm... watch that trailer again!
  • edited March 2007
    Cool, just remember to hide all your spoilers in spoiler boxes, with the actual text in the spoiler box being an address to some obscure website even Google hasn't found, which has been password protected to prevent anyone gaining access to its contents, which reveal another cryptic clue, this time leading to the final spoiler, which has been etched onto separate grains of sand spread across the world, which will have to all be recovered and rearranged for the spoiler to even begin to make sense before translating it from Japanese and reading it in a mirror.

That is the only way weak willed people like me will be able to avoid spoiling episode 5 for ourselves.
  • edited March 2007
    all you have to do is avoid the hint forum and you will be fine, if someone posts a improperly marked spoiler in the discussion forum then we have full rights to call them a dumbass

although this gametap bullshit is really starting to piss me off now........... if they have the same setup with season 2, where gametap gets the episodes early and then all the dipshits come over here asking for help and spoil it for us then i am not going to buy the season ahead of time again

not that there is anything wrong with asking for help............ just that everyone puts a damn spoiler in the title of the topic, even if they tag the text in the post itself (which no one rarely does)

they use our forum for help when we do not even have access to the game yet?............ thats messed up, and telltale should do something about it

even if season customers get all of the future episodes only a week early, this gametap stuff is a major turn off............ and i hope telltale wises up and finds some way to keep them out of OUR forum

EDIT: oops, i am sorry that i said i was never going to go on a rant here, and then went on one anyway......... oh well :o
  • edited March 2007
    Dangerzone: I couldn't have said it better myself
  • edited March 2007
    That's a pretty horrible thing to read, as a GameTap user who's been quietly and happily lurking on these forums for a while. I know some users can be inconsiderate about spoilers, but seriously...

"They' use 'our' forums"? Are these not the Telltale Games forums? Is this not a Telltale product?

My apologies for the people who spoil things... but come on, don't knock out the entire GameTap userbase.
  • edited March 2007
    i do not mind the having to wait 2 weeks for an episode if i did not have to avoid certain parts of this forum in fear of learning too much about an episode

flip that, and i do not mind dealing with the spoilers if we did not have to wait as long for an episode

but when you put both of these nusences together, even i get pissed

and if you notice.............. i did not actually bash ALL of gametaps users (or even gametap itself), just the inconsiderate ones who lack the brain power to mind their words in our forum before we get access to an episode

all i am asking for, is a forum for sam and max over on gametap where gametap users can get help to their hearts content........... and to make it so we do not have access to it

either that or start releasing all the episodes early to season one holders, vis-a-vis: episode 4

is either one (or both) of these ideas too much to ask for?
  • edited March 2007
    I'm very sorry, I read your message a couple of times, to try and be sure of the meaning... I guess I just misunderstood.

I will agree, a sort of "Early Bird" forum would be great for people who want to discuss the GameTap or even "Season 1" release, before it's released to everyone. As for GameTap getting them early... is it really that bad to think about, since it's probably the GameTap deal that managed to get us more Sam and Max at all?
  • edited March 2007
    Dangerzone, please don't insult other members of this forum. We do clearly mark the hint forum as having likely spoilers, and it's pretty much inevitable that people will start asking for hints once the game is available to them. I think asking them not to is a bit unfair.
  • edited March 2007
    i am not even telling them to not ask for help, i am asking if they can have their own forum over on gametap (or even here) for an episode untill it is avalable to the general public.............. then that sub-forum can be merged with the main one after the episode goes worldwide

it takes a lot to piss me off, but once i am mad................ try not to mind me............ i usually have one or 2 major blowouts a year :rolleyes: and i am used to retrebution in that regard, so infractions and warnings are nothing new to me (although i have never been banned from anywhere yet *knock on wood*)
  • edited March 2007
    Why not have a "Sam & Max Episode 5" sub-forum until it's out for everyone
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, it kind of sucks for non-Gametap subscribers. It must be agonizing knowing it's out but you don't have Gametap. Well, I doubt they will do this again for Season 2. Even if they did, it wouldn't be for 2 weeks I'm sure. Don't worry, I won't spoil anything. :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Getting something spoiled for you before you've had the chance to play it sucks, and we try to prevent that from happening around here. That said, GameTap customers are more than welcome here. GameTap does not have its own forum, and there is no better place to ask for help with a Sam & Max episode than at Telltale's website.

As we have explained before, the GameTap deal is good for Telltale and good for Sam & Max fans. GameTap was integral in getting Sam & Max Season 1 made.

You're always going to have some people posting on a forum before other people who visit the forum have played the game. The issue of games coming out in one area before it comes out in another area happens all the time when games come out in one country before another country, etc.
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, if it wasn't for Gametap, Season 1 would be probably half as popular right now, or less. It's doing really good though, you guys should be proud because you're making all those big multi million dollar game companies look like a bunch of friggin idiots! Now that's priceless.

Anyway, like I said I won't spoil anything. I've been playing Episode 5 for a little while here, and here is what I will say of it so far.

I definately think it's the best yet. Everything so far has been absolutely fabulous. It's most definately going to get over 90% for a rating from me. :) Don't worry guys, the wait will be worth it! This one is gooooooood. :D
  • edited March 2007
    Finished! Definately the best episode yet! :D I rate it 96%, it's no doubt going to be regarded as the best, if not the 2nd best episode (depending on episode 6), of the whole Season when it's all done.

I found it to be the most difficult episode of all 5, your mileage may vary depending on your imagination, of course. It was so difficult I considered looking for a walkthrough, but I resisted because I didn't want to spoil it. I eventually solved all of the puzzles on my own, however. They weren't absurd or anything, in the sense of some of the puzzles from the first couple Monkey Island games.

Though the entire episode was fantastic, the ending was the best. I won't say a thing about it, simply that any self respecting gamer will like it a lot. The main villian is revealed too, at the very end. The secret is safe with me, but once the episode is fully released and more people finish it I think the boards will getting busy. :)
  • edited March 2007
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    all you have to do is avoid the hint forum and you will be fine, if someone posts a improperly marked spoiler in the discussion forum then we have full rights to call them a dumbass

although this gametap bullshit is really starting to piss me off now........... if they have the same setup with season 2, where gametap gets the episodes early and then all the dipshits come over here asking for help and spoil it for us then i am not going to buy the season ahead of time again

not that there is anything wrong with asking for help............ just that everyone puts a damn spoiler in the title of the topic, even if they tag the text in the post itself (which no one rarely does)

they use our forum for help when we do not even have access to the game yet?............ thats messed up, and telltale should do something about it

even if season customers get all of the future episodes only a week early, this gametap stuff is a major turn off............ and i hope telltale wises up and finds some way to keep them out of OUR forum

EDIT: oops, i am sorry that i said i was never going to go on a rant here, and then went on one anyway......... oh well :o

I'm tired of people throwing hate around for gametap. Gametap IS the reason why you have Sam and Max games to play. If gametap didn't agree to publish the game, then telltale wouldn't have the financial means to try what they did. Nor would Sam and Max get the publicity it deserves.

And just so we are clear.. this is not your fourm. It is our forum. Our includes me and I am a gametap subscriber as well as a long time telltale forum poster.
  • edited March 2007
    my curisoity to see what gametap is like and my current boredom caused me to sign up for it (god help us all)

and my first stop was episode 5, not bad indeed........... i wrote a brief spoiler free review touching base on most of the questions i was asking before i played the game, but even so.... i have spoiler tagged it
    it felt just a little shorter than episode 4 (not much) but it was easily the funest (is that a word) and funniest episode thus far in the season

something i must also note is that there is not one single repeated line from a previous episode, everything in every location now has a new line that sam and/or max says when you click on it................. re-clicking on everything added at least an hour of length over the previous episodes, and quite a few things have more then one line (Ex. the old case file in the office)

once again the episode has a "theme song" and i am not going to spoil it, and while it was catchy and funny............ i still like the war song the most

most of the puzzles are somewhat straight forward and you can only be working on one or two of them at a time, but there were one or two puzzles that made me think outside the box for a few minutes.............. all in all the episode has almost the same difficulty as episode 4, but with less going back and forth (although there still is some backtracking required, but it is not that bad)

the most intresting part of the episode is that you never leave the street, but they still gave us 9 all new locations (most of them in the alternate reality), with the usual subutle changes to the original 4 street locations

i am still undecided about gametap, as all i have played so far is episode 5, and if i find just one other thing i like about it that i like, then it will get a good review from me

although i still want a seperate forum for the gametap users, since i am now technicly one of "them" i would like an inconspicuous place to talk with my fellow man, and also to protect those who have not played the episode yet. because i was not spoiled when i played the episode (despite my dissection of the trailer) and i was quite happy, and i hope that the rest of you have the same spoiler free experience when you play the episode.

even though me and several others who have played the episode have your backs and are keeping our posts clear of major spoilers.............. you should tread carefully for the next two weeks and watch what you click on
  • edited March 2007
    Yes, I also think a dedicated Sam & Max Gametap section would be a good idea. However, like the spoiler tags, all they have to do is click. But if they went to such lengths when they knew for a fact it would spoil their entire gaming enjoyment, then I guess it's their fault.

So, on a percentage scale, what would you rate Episode 5 Dangerzone?

Yeah, even though most of the new locations aren't really new per say, it still feels quite fresh. It's the closest to new you could get. Of course, you couldn't do that with every episode. I have some high hopes for the final episode though, but honestly it's going to be difficult to top episodes 4 and 5.

P.S. Gametap isn't really that bad, btw. They're putting up lots of good games this month. There is one huge issue though. I have encountered lots of bugs in games that require patches to get around, but due to how Gametap is structured it is impossible to apply patches to games (Because they hide the game files from you so you can retain copies of the games you download.). I've also had some corrupted downloads which required me to redownload from the begging. But, other then those that, it's actually a really good deal for the money.
  • edited March 2007
    i would rate this game in the low 90's to mid 80's (i will say 91 to be fair)

it takes a lot for me too call a game "perfect" or even in the high 90's but episode 5 came really close.............. and i only noticed one or 2 minor bugs to boot (i will start a thread in the support forum listing them soon)

apart from that, i think the episode had a great climax leading to the final act, but the actual ending and cliffhanger left something to be desired after the episode 4 ending

the ending just felt less epic, and it did not leave me scratching my head like episode 4 did............. it almost explains itself

but besides that the episode itself was excellent, and worth the wait and mystery created by episode 4

i hope that episode 6 is even more fun and enjoyable than all of the previous episodes combined, because number one.....it is a finale, and number two.....it is going to be the end of sam and max for a while
  • edited March 2007
    I wouldn't have used Gametap eve if my life depended upon it. Even the digitalriver protection TTG uses is enough to make me nervous. I hope it will be gone when the CD/DVD gets released.

AdamG: Also, considering that you never really own anything you buy from gametap, one can''t really purchase anything from gametap. It's more like a borrow, a rent, that can lasts for many years. But sooner or later it won't be possible to play the product there anymore. Not much of an longterm investment, from a consumers point of view, I'm afraid. But as a means to sponsor the game developer, it's a great tool. Hey, you can even get people to buy stuff multiply times, without them using it on more than one PC. What a deal for the developers!

I just bought Sam & Max - hit the road. That's 14 years after it was released. Gametap will put a stop to this kind of "playing later". As a person who is used to buying things and being able to do practically anything I want with the product I bought, gametap removes about half of the reason why I buy a game. At least I get the chance to get a complete cd/dvd when the season is over when I buy it through TTG(which hopefully won't require online activation). What do I get when the season is done from gametap? a link to the page where I can re-download the games from?
  • edited March 2007
    That's the beauty of GameTap though. You can nab all these games that you usually need to go to Ebay for, and if you don't like the game or it runs terribly on your machine for whatever reason, your not out any money. You can just delete it and go for another game. Sure, there's the censorship and patch issue, (to be fair, only a couple games have been censored), and you don't get a hard copy of the game, but the price is definitely right for what you get.

I've bashed GameTap in the past, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't keep coming back to it.
  • edited March 2007
    Maybe if it weren't owned by Time Warner, I would've had a bit more trust in them ;) I can't stand Time Warner though. Too much corruption... but that's another, very very long story.

Also, just the thought that gametap can(at least in theory) go in and check every game I have played, and how much people have played this or that game - it freaks me out("I can see you" as Peepers say)!

Big Brother can see you! :(
  • edited March 2007
    gametap is nice, but i can see how it will get old fast........... and it begins to loose its worth as you spend more on it without out getting hard copies of the games, so i think i will only have it for a few months

it stated in the service agrement with my plan that i have to use it for at least 3 months or i will be charged a termintion fee............ but 3 months is not that bad, and i think that paying 30$ overall for a few months of gaming is worth it

if sam and max season 2 is going to be on gametap early as well, i guess i will sign up again just for sam and max

although i have the feeling that in a month, the gametap icon on my destop will become a useless icon that i am just pumping money into
  • edited March 2007
    21871gametap.jpg

I use GameTap, and I'm a big fan of the concept. Keep an eye out for good deals; I managed to get 12 months for something like 64 dollars, just by buying at the right moment. (And don't think that your screwed if you subscribed already, I was already a subscriber when I upgraded to that deal. Just keep an eye out for them)
    The nice thing is that when I get bored with a certain game, there's always a hundred more games to play instead.

I think it's worth subscribing for a few months just to get Sam & Max early, but the huge library of other games (even if a lot of them are mediocre) is an excellent value-add.

I always feel bad talking about it, because I know people in Europe can't subscribe, so they don't really have the option, and I feel guilty about rubbing it in their face like that.

Also, there is some talk of GameTap adding message boards in the future, although I think I'll still pop in here for discussions of Sam & Max. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.