Thinking of getting Monkey Island 2

I recently purchased the Secret of Monkey Island special edition but it didn't have the funny talking skull I had seen on some of the videos I had watched. Is the skull in the second game?

Also, is the second game worth getting? I'm sure there are a lot of super fans out there but, in regards to the first game, how does it compare? Since I know where I stand with the first game, a comparison would be easiest to avoid bias.

By the way, I did enjoy playing it so I'm glad I got it and I now want to see whether I should extend my Monkey Island experience.

(Also, sorry if someone's already asked something similar but I'M ASKING NOW!)

Comments

• edited May 2011
    There's nothing to think about, really. MI2 is the perfect sequel and there's little chance of getting dissappointed. The first game was very well recieved back in the days, and Monkey 2 was hailed as bigger and better in just about every way.

The talking skull wasn't introduced until Curse of Monkey Island, which was the third game. Once you're done with MI2, that should be the next step. Then Escape from Monkey Island, and then Tales of Monkey Island - which is the first and only Telltale Monkey Island game so far.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Jo Jo Sef wrote: »
    By the way, I did enjoy playing it so I'm glad I got it and I now want to see whether I should extend my Monkey Island experience.

If you liked the first game, I'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy the second one as well. In fact a lot of people consider the second game their favourite in the series.
  • edited May 2011
    Definitely. The game itself is better, bigger and funnier - and the special edition features are more impressive than the SE features of the first.
  • edited May 2011
    though it is fun, it is super confusing
    Elaine hates you, LeChuck's your bro, and at the end you are kids at BIG WHOOP AMMUSMENT PARK
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2011
    It is a terrific game and I recommend it highly despite Murray not being in it.
    WARNING: Do not click under any circumstances on the spoiler in seibert999's above post until you've finished the game (and you don't need to do it then either ;)) as it contains huge revelations from the game's ending.
  • edited May 2011
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    WARNING: Do not click under any circumstances on the spoiler in seibert999's above post until you've finished the game (and you don't need to do it then either ;)) as it contains huge revelations from the game's ending.

I second that! Really, Don't do it!

And yes, the 2nd one is by far the best in the series, and the Special Edition is so much better than the first one (better controls, animations, guybrush's hair...).

Really worth getting.

And if you can, try to track down Curse of Monkey Island (3rd game), that's where Murray (talking skull) first appears and his lines are hilarious.
  • edited May 2011
    SubSidal wrote: »
    And if you can, try to track down Curse of Monkey Island (3rd game), that's where Murray (talking skull) first appears and his lines are hilarious.

I am DIEING to get that game, to bad i dont know where to get it
  • edited May 2011
    seibert999 wrote: »
    I am DIEING to get that game, to bad i dont know where to get it

Ebay?
  • edited May 2011
    YES! buy it... and then buy all the rest... I can not recommend them enough.

Here are some affordable options for people wanting to buy them used on Amazon..

Curse of Monkey Island PC
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004WGVX/ref=sr_1_6_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305506765&sr=1-6&condition=used

Escape from Monkey Island PC
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000063LGY/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305506765&sr=1-1&condition=used

I also recommend these strategy guides not because the games too hard but because they are written as if they are Guybrush's journal.. and for a MI fan its great. Unfortunately there are only ones for 3 and 4 at least that I am aware of.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0761510311/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1305506970&sr=1-2&condition=used

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0761536795/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1305506970&sr=1-3&condition=used
  • edited May 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Ebay?

i would, but i want it for a price that is less than a fortune
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2011
    seibert999 wrote: »
    i would, but i want it for a price that is less than 100 dollars

The Amazon link given by Irishmile has the game for as cheap as $12.99 + shipping ($3.99 to the USA).
  • edited May 2011
    Right... you've given me a lot to think about... Shame I have exams on right now or I'd jump right into all of them but I think I'll start off with Monkey Island II once I'm ready.

I can see myself getting a bit hooked so I'll play it safe for now - thanks guys!

Shame about Murray the talking skull though, I really want to see him...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.