Was Chapter 1 (download) ever updated to the Earl Boen version?

I own the game on Steam, but I like Boen as LeChuck enough that I'd gladly re-purchase Episode 1 from the TellTale site just to play it with his voice. (It's also that I find the alternate voice to be quite jarring.)

The only information on the forums here that I could find dated back to mid-2010, and I haven't found anything more recent.

So, yeah: Is the download updated to Boen, or is it still only for the DVD?

Comments

• Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Having the Mac version (which was the Boen version from the get go), I can't tell you if the PC version from the Telltale website was ever updated, but it hadn't been yet on January 30, 2011.
  • edited May 2011
    The original line was, "Yes, it's coming."

Then it was something like, "It's coming, but we have to prioritize."

At this point, I imagine it's verrrrrrry far down the priority list -- which is to say, their hands are completely tied up making new games and/or expanding to other platforms. Maybe I'm wrong. But I wouldn't hold your breath on it EVER coming out as a PC download at this point. At least, that's what everyone seems to be assuming ... and none of the doomsayers have been corrected by management, that I'm aware of. That's not evidence exactly, but on the other hand, it doesn't exactly fuel optimism.

Your best bet, IMO: wait for a huge deal on the entire season -- a sale, a discount code, etc. Snap up the season at a bargain price and then order the free DVD. Yes, it may feel like a bit of a hurdle, but hey -- the DVD is great to have for a variety of reasons.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah, I saw back where they said it was "soon", and would have other patch-type improvements, but that was early last year.

That's really unfortunate, as I'm sure the replacement voice did good work and all, but I'm a longtime old-school MI fan, so if it's not Boen, it's not LeChuck.

KNEW I should have gotten it from the website instead of Steam. Perhaps I will get lucky and they'll have a real deep sale on the site here sometime. I'd just hate to have to end up paying 70 bucks and get the full season twice, just for that re-done Chapter 1.

I would like to have the DVD, though. Would go nicely with my disc copies of "Monkey Island Madness", COMI, and EMI.
  • edited May 2011
    Admonisher wrote: »
    The original line was, "Yes, it's coming."

Then it was something like, "It's coming, but we have to prioritize."

At this point, I imagine it's verrrrrrry far down the priority list -- which is to say, their hands are completely tied up making new games and/or expanding to other platforms. Maybe I'm wrong. But I wouldn't hold your breath on it EVER coming out as a PC download at this point. At least, that's what everyone seems to be assuming ... and none of the doomsayers have been corrected by management, that I'm aware of. That's not evidence exactly, but on the other hand, it doesn't exactly fuel optimism.

Your best bet, IMO: wait for a huge deal on the entire season -- a sale, a discount code, etc. Snap up the season at a bargain price and then order the free DVD. Yes, it may feel like a bit of a hurdle, but hey -- the DVD is great to have for a variety of reasons.

I agree with this. If you can wait for Talk Like a Pirate Day (which I think is in September), then you might be able to get all of it for like $5. Then the DVD it will just be the p&p so that's at most $10 for the full game, twice.
  • edited May 2011
    I've made this argument before, and I'll make it again; the only people actually concerned about this are the ones who have the whole series anyway, in which case they can install the DVD version. The response I usually get is "My DVD is all the way on the other side of the room... :("
  • edited May 2011
    Teeth wrote: »
    The response I usually get is "My DVD is all the way on the other side of the room... :("

It may as well be in china!
  • edited May 2011
    Teeth wrote: »
    I've made this argument before, and I'll make it again; the only people actually concerned about this are the ones who have the whole series anyway, in which case they can install the DVD version. The response I usually get is "My DVD is all the way on the other side of the room... :("

I'm concerned about it, because I *don't* have the DVD. As I already stated, I bought the game on Steam. Steam purchases don't get a DVD. If we want one, we have to come over here and spend another 34.95, or whatever it currently is. I would have been re-purchasing Chapter/Episode 1, entirely for the purpose of having the Boen version.

If I had the DVD, I wouldn't care, I'd just use that. I like TellTale and all, but I'm not willing to buy a full season twice, at full price. That's why I hoped they had updated the download. I have not a single problem re-buying one episode.
  • edited June 2011
    So, doctoress ... still around? Remember how I mentioned the occasional huge sales? :) Well, TOMI is 75% off the full season right now ... that makes it something like $8.74. And once you buy it from Telltale, you can get a copy of the DVD (with Boen in Chapter One) for just the cost of shipping (between $4 to 6, IIRC).

Or you could splurge on the Deluxe Edition gift pack with all sorts of awesome swag -- currently an insane $12.50 (plus shipping)!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.