hi BTTF fans another time travel game is back

edited September 2011 in Back to the Future
Since alot of us BTTF fans like other time travel things as well I thought I'd tell you that last week the time traveling RPG "Chrono Trigger" came out on the Wii Virtual Console. While probably not as good a representation of time travel as other things it's still fun to go to different eras in the CT would and try for multiple endings(such as altering the course of evolution so everyone winds up as reptiles). I'm about halfway trough my first playthrough...

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Meh....while I love CT I see no point to Square Enix releasing it on the Wii. It was already rereleased on the DS a few years back. Despite a HUGE following online (anyone remember the whole Crimson Echoes fiasco involving the Compendium?) the major gripe SE had was that the game apparently didn't sell well enough to warrent the sequel people have wanted for years. I honestly can't see a DLC version on the Wii selling better than the DS version :-/

A few questions I did have however: it this the SNES/PS1 version from 1995 with the original script or is it the DS version with the new dungeons, new endboss and new script. Also did it include the anime cutscenes that have been in ever version of the game since the PS1 version?
  • edited May 2011
    I never played through CT, I played through Final Fantasy IV instead.
  • edited May 2011
    Meh....while I love CT I see no point to Square Enix releasing it on the Wii. It was already rereleased on the DS a few years back. Despite a HUGE following online (anyone remember the whole Crimson Echoes fiasco involving the Compendium?) the major gripe SE had was that the game apparently didn't sell well enough to warrent the sequel people have wanted for years. I honestly can't see a DLC version on the Wii selling better than the DS version :-/

Whether it sells better then it did on the DS or not, there's no reason not to release it on the Virtual Console. It costs them practically nothing.
  • edited May 2011
    A few questions I did have however: it this the SNES/PS1 version from 1995 with the original script or is it the DS version with the new dungeons, new endboss and new script. Also did it include the anime cutscenes that have been in ever version of the game since the PS1 version?

It's the SNES version with the original script and no animated cutscenes.
  • edited May 2011
    I've purchased that game three times now. Can't pony up for a fourth. DS was the best version I'd played anyway.
  • edited May 2011
    1/ Saw the thread title
    2/ Thought "interesting, i only know of chrono" as far as time travel go.
    3/Opened the topic, realised it was indeed about chrono
    4/Thought for 10s, before reading "Ho my god, did they annonce chrono break ? will we finally know the fate of the characters ?"
    5/finally read the post, another port of the first one, biggest disapointment ever....

Why, square enix, why ??????????????????

This game and its sequel are amazing. any BTTF fan should try them. I "hate" RPG, but i have finished those two games numerous time only to go though the plot again.

It's a lot like bttf, but on a much larger scale, going back and forth from as far as 1 000 000 BC to 2300 AD.

Please square, release part 3 already... It's so insulting toward the fans to release the first one over and over again (and make so much money on it) while the story isn't complete yet...
  • edited May 2011
    I want The Journeyman Project to either be remade (better graphics and aidio and perhaps more puzzels) or renewed (like BttF)
  • edited May 2011
    flobo wrote: »
    Please square, release part 3 already... It's so insulting toward the fans to release the first one over and over again (and make so much money on it) while the story isn't complete yet...

My thoughts exactly! I'm not going to dive into the whole Crimson Echoes debate in massive detail here since I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the history and death of that project. However I will say this: it's getting to the point where each additional release of Chrono Trigger is becoming more and more of an insult to fans of the series. Square had the name Chrono Break trademarked shortly after the release of Chrono Cross. They held the name for YEARS yet did nothing with it and eventually let the trademark on the name expire. While they were well within their legal rights to file a C&D on Crimson Echoes it still reeks of spitefulness on their part. I find it very hard to believe that the team working on that fan sequel could have been working on it for nearly five years and have the game 98% finished before Square caught wind of it and filed the complaint a mere two or three weeks before the release. As I said before SE may have been within their legal rights to file the C&D but overall I think the only reason they even considered it was because if they didn't and let Crimson Echoes be released that it would have eventually made them unable to renew the trademark on the Chrono series in general.

I forget who it was but someone fairly high up in the company said there are no plans for a Chrono sequel/prequel/interquel/ect due to poor sales of the DS version. First off the DS version was not advertised on a big scale like so many of their other titles. Second while the new features were nice there wasn't a whole hell of a lot added to the game. Finally that was the third time overall the game had been released. In the 13 years the game was out I'm fairly certain that anyone who legally owned a copy either already had it on either the Super NES or the PS1. Why buy the game a third time? I myself had both versions already. All of these things combined killed any chance of strong sales from the start. The only reason I picked up the DS version was due to not having a working SNES or Sony system (and the only reason I got it on the PS1 was for FF4 in the Final Fantasy Chronicles set). As for ROMs we're not going to get into the legal issues surrounding those but I think it's safe to say any RPG fan that uses them is bound to have it on their computer. In fact up until the DS release Europe NEVER saw a release of the original game. I'm willing to bet that if anything killed the European sales more than anything that it would have been the fact that the game around for free for years as a ROM. Why pay for something you can get for free? It may not always be legal but it's human nature. If someone with no qualms about doing something illegal believes they can get away with it then fully expect them to do it.

Scnew is right about one thing: it may not cost them much to release on the Wii via VC. However at this point I don't see why Square would even consider it. The only people I could really see buying this are the ones who have never played CT or don't own it in any other form. If Square thinks it's gonna sell well on the Wii (especially after taking a steaming crap on the Chrono fanbase for the past ten years or so) then they have totally lost their minds.

I could go on and on about other thoughts I've had about Square Enix in recent years but I'd be here all day and eventually this'll turn into a full blown essay. The bottom line is this is nothing more than a money grab and a slap in the face to fans of the series. After the clusterf*** that was FF14 I say that SE needs to stop focusing so much time, energy and money into Final Fantasy and MMO's and seriously look into their other franchises. They might actually be surprised at the results.
  • edited May 2011
    My thoughts exactly! I'm not going to dive into the whole Crimson Echoes debate in massive detail here since I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the history and death of that project. However I will say this: it's getting to the point where each additional release of Chrono Trigger is becoming more and more of an insult to fans of the series. Square had the name Chrono Break trademarked shortly after the release of Chrono Cross. They held the name for YEARS yet did nothing with it and eventually let the trademark on the name expire. While they were well within their legal rights to file a C&D on Crimson Echoes it still reeks of spitefulness on their part. I find it very hard to believe that the team working on that fan sequel could have been working on it for nearly five years and have the game 98% finished before Square caught wind of it and filed the complaint a mere two or three weeks before the release. As I said before SE may have been within their legal rights to file the C&D but overall I think the only reason they even considered it was because if they didn't and let Crimson Echoes be released that it would have eventually made them unable to renew the trademark on the Chrono series in general.

I forget who it was but someone fairly high up in the company said there are no plans for a Chrono sequel/prequel/interquel/ect due to poor sales of the DS version. First off the DS version was not advertised on a big scale like so many of their other titles. Second while the new features were nice there wasn't a whole hell of a lot added to the game. Finally that was the third time overall the game had been released. In the 13 years the game was out I'm fairly certain that anyone who legally owned a copy either already had it on either the Super NES or the PS1. Why buy the game a third time? I myself had both versions already. All of these things combined killed any chance of strong sales from the start. The only reason I picked up the DS version was due to not having a working SNES or Sony system (and the only reason I got it on the PS1 was for FF4 in the Final Fantasy Chronicles set). As for ROMs we're not going to get into the legal issues surrounding those but I think it's safe to say any RPG fan that uses them is bound to have it on their computer. In fact up until the DS release Europe NEVER saw a release of the original game. I'm willing to bet that if anything killed the European sales more than anything that it would have been the fact that the game around for free for years as a ROM. Why pay for something you can get for free? It may not always be legal but it's human nature. If someone with no qualms about doing something illegal believes they can get away with it then fully expect them to do it.

Scnew is right about one thing: it may not cost them much to release on the Wii via VC. However at this point I don't see why Square would even consider it. The only people I could really see buying this are the ones who have never played CT or don't own it in any other form. If Square thinks it's gonna sell well on the Wii (especially after taking a steaming crap on the Chrono fanbase for the past ten years or so) then they have totally lost their minds.

I could go on and on about other thoughts I've had about Square Enix in recent years but I'd be here all day and eventually this'll turn into a full blown essay. The bottom line is this is nothing more than a money grab and a slap in the face to fans of the series. After the clusterf*** that was FF14 I say that SE needs to stop focusing so much time, energy and money into Final Fantasy and MMO's and seriously look into their other franchises. They might actually be surprised at the results.

Didn't Crimson Echoes end up released? I never played but
    http://www.the-games-blog.com/chrono-trigger-crimson-echoes-is-on-the-internet/

Oh and you're right, the Square rep you're talking about pretty much said "If the fans want a sequel so much why don't they buy more of the game (DS version)". BECAUSE WE ALREADY BOUGHT IT TWICE BEFORE
  • edited May 2011
    There was a 3D remake of CT, shut down by Square.

Damn it looked SO good ...

As for the wii port, it's such a pointless shame.
  • Those who saw the Spike TV game trailers:

looks like the next Spider-man game edge of time will involve time travel. For those who don't know

There's different versions of spider-man including one in the year 2099. This spider-man is named Miguel O' Hara and it's presumed the events of Peter Parkers spider-man are in his past. So this game involves both characters timelines and does include effects on the timeline (ie what you do in the past effects the future). Both spider-men are shown together (implying time travel) and seems they are able to communicate with each other due to a crack in time.
  • edited June 2011
    Apparently Bioshock Infinite is going to have time-travel elements in it as well.

I love Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross but I think the guy in charge of giving the green light for a sequel needs to get his head out his arse. Buy more of the original game if we want a sequel? Thats funny I thought thats what everyones been doing since re-release after re-release and you have no trouble churning out final fantasy games(*figure of speech no disrespect to final fantasy fans)?

I wish the Zelda franchise would go back down the time travel route once more. I mean I know they're remaking Ocarina for the 3ds but still. Mind if they remake Majora's Mask with some new stuff added I'll be made up with that too.
  • edited September 2011
    Digging this back up for a bit of relevant news. Square-Enix is implementing time travel in the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII-2
Sign in to comment in this discussion.