Morgan (spoilers)

edited September 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hey.

After all I could read in this forum, Morgan is a very popular character and almost everyone claims her to be a "good" character. An antagonist become protagonist. And that after I was so pleased to finally see a female antagonist.

After all she's a pirate hunter (with a questionable motto), killing many of them. While most of the pirates are only plundering and grog-drinking braggarts who are mostly cowards, I seriously doubt she is a "good" person.

Well, I really don't like the idea for her to come around ending up on the "good" team. I mean, I would like it if she wasn't actually killing the pirates but catching them or whatsoever, but killing goes too far imho.

I really hoped that she, along with the other antagonists, would get her comeuppance. When she was dead I liked the idea for her helping to kill Chucky to get her revenge but would still be trapped in the land of death, okay, but I hated the ending, where she is sort of redeemd.

I don't know, but it feels just like a MI Game where LeChuck wouldn't get destroyed at the end, that all of a sudden everyone is laughing about his evil deeds and he retires in a nice neighborhood on Melee. All those killed will be forever forgotten. They went on Morgan way too ligthly in the end for what she did in the past.

Just my opinion. Have a nice day!

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Tombolo wrote: »
    Hey.

After all I could read in this forum, Morgan is a very popular character and almost everyone claims her to be a "good" character. An antagonist become protagonist. And that after I was so pleased to finally see a female antagonist.

After all she's a pirate hunter (with a questionable motto), killing many of them. While most of the pirates are only plundering and grog-drinking braggarts who are mostly cowards, I seriously doubt she is a "good" person.

Well, I really don't like the idea for her to come around ending up on the "good" team. I mean, I would like it if she wasn't actually killing the pirates but catching them or whatsoever, but killing goes too far imho.

I really hoped that she, along with the other antagonists, would get her comeuppance. When she was dead I liked the idea for her helping to kill Chucky to get her revenge but would still be trapped in the land of death, okay, but I hated the ending, where she is sort of redeemd.

I don't know, but it feels just like a MI Game where LeChuck wouldn't get destroyed at the end, that all of a sudden everyone is laughing about his evil deeds and he retires in a nice neighborhood on Melee. All those killed will be forever forgotten. They went on Morgan way too ligthly in the end for what she did in the past.

Just my opinion. Have a nice day!

She killed people, yes. She was paid to kill them, yes. But they were all pirates, and what she's done was no worse than what our good old friend Guybrush has done.

I mean seriously think about it, Guybrush has:

Stolen money
    Stolen stuff from people
    Stolen stuff from shops
    Hurt people (emotionally usually, but sometimes physically)
    Manipulated people
    Con'd people
    Ripped people off
    Gone back on his word
    Been an all round jerk on several occasions
    Locked someone in a coffin and left them for dead
    Locked someone in jail and left them to rot
    Shot people
    Stabbed people
    Got into fights on a regular basis

And that's to name a few. I mean come on, by the standards of heroes in MI Morgan is pretty much standard. I mean if we're honest all the MI heroes are basically villains.

And if we're honest the 'villain' of EMI was actually a hero. I mean think about it, all Ozzie wanted was to get rid of pirates. Which is a GOOD thing.

My point is your dislike of Morgan would be fine if it was simply 'I dunno what it is, but I don't like her' or something like that, but your argument as to why you don't like her makes no sense.
  • edited September 2011
    I think of her like Han Solo.
    And yes, pirates and pirate hunters do bad stuff.
    I like her.
    This latest series were the only MI games I ever played so that would probably explain my different view from most, but I like her a helluva lot better than Elaine.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm still struggling to see where the spoiler part in your post is.
  • edited September 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    Morgan le Flay is a woman

which you didn't know until chapter 2

spoilers!
  • edited September 2011

First post -- Morgan did bad things, poster didn't like her despite her popularity, felt she should have had worse outcome.
    Second post -- Guybrush did bad things too, further discussion of liking a character or not for these reasons.
    My post -- Agreeing with both about her/them doing bad stuff (spoilers I gather), sharing feelings of just liking her anyway, it fit with the thread, I didn't think there was a rule that every post in a spoiler thread had to have a new spoiler, thought it could talk about a spoiler "revealed" in a previous post and continue to share opinions about it, I did both.

Sorry you struggled. I just finished the series last night for my first time, I was intrigued about the fate of Morgan's hero/villain character and carefully searched for the best thread to share with others. If I broke a rule that was so delicate, I'll just keep my opinions-based-on-spoilers to myself from now on. Sad because I really enjoyed the game and thought my fresh perspective might be fun to share with long-time fans.

Thanks for the humor, Alex. I was hoping people who enjoyed these games would have some. :p

:guybrush: :winslow:
  • edited September 2011
    i seen a video on youtube with tales of monkey island and i can say one thing

DO THE DANCE! :guybrush: :winslow: :guybrush:
  • edited September 2011

right about here:
    Tombolo wrote: »
    I really hoped that she, along with the other antagonists, would get her comeuppance. When she was dead I liked the idea for her helping to kill Chucky to get her revenge but would still be trapped in the land of death, okay, but I hated the ending, where she is sort of redeemed.
  • edited September 2011
    Oh I see. But seriously, ToMI has been out for what, a year and a half now? I hardly think spoilers are necessary.
    If you haven't played the game and go on these forums, you have to expect to come across "spoilers".
  • edited September 2011
    So I should have started a new thread called, "Morgan (there really aren't spoilers anymore)" and talked to myself?

Sorry (not really) I just got through the series and am late to the party, and that my intention was not to reveal spoilers since there aren't any. I just wanted to talk about Morgan's complex character and fate. (The latter is still kinda blurry to me so if there ever is a sequel perhaps it will someday at least fall under speculation...)

So, I really just came to play with you guys. I finished the game, it was fun and cool, and I wanna DO THE DANCE too! :winslow:
  • edited September 2011
    Oh I see. But seriously, ToMI has been out for what, a year and a half now? I hardly think spoilers are necessary.
    If you haven't played the game and go on these forums, you have to expect to come across "spoilers".

Even so, under the forum rules he still had to post *spoilers* in the title for people that haven't played the game yet.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Grojak wrote: »
    Even so, under the forum rules he still had to post *spoilers* in the title for people that haven't played the game yet.

Yeah, yeah, enough now with the forum rules and all. Carry on.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.