Monkey Island 4 problem

edited April 2007 in General Chat
Okay, this is probably a weird forum to be asking a question about this game, but I'm not a member of any Monkey island forum. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of Monkey island fans around.

See, I got to Act 3 (or is it 4?), Escape from Monkey Island. I'm supposed to bring Herman's memory back by first flinging the coconut at him, then the milkbottle and then the accordeon.
First I threw the coconut at him. He remembered that he was Herman Toothrot, but he still didn't remember more than a few months ago when he woke up beside the milk bottle.
Because I didn't have the milk bottle at that point, I threw the coconut at him again. Herman went back to a state of;
G: "Herman?"
H.T.: "Who? Heh."
So I think, sure, get the milkbottle. However, flinging the milkbottle once again gave me the
G: "Herman?"
H.T.: "Who? Heh."
conversation. I threw the coconut again. Same effect. I threw the milkbottle again. Same effect. I basically threw anything I have in my inventory at him, even the abomination of nature, but I can't get him out of his "Who?" state anymore. Both talking to him and throwing something give me the same 2 line conversation. I can't even ask him what the last thing he remembers is anymore. Am I supposed to get the pieces of the Ultimate insult before I can return Herman to his second state of amnesia? Or did I mess up by throwing the coconut multiple times?

Anyone? Help?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    If I'm not mistaken, you have to ask Herman the last thing he remembers to get a clue about objects to throw him at. There must be a link to that in the conversation. I think, vaguely...
  • edited March 2007
    Maybe this will help you resolve the issue: http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5983
  • edited March 2007
    Leviathan wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, you have to ask Herman the last thing he remembers to get a clue about objects to throw him at. There must be a link to that in the conversation. I think, vaguely...

I know that. But like I said, both talking to him and throwing something result in the same
    "Herman?"
    "Who?"
    conversation. I can't ask him what the last thing he remembers is anymore...
  • edited March 2007
    Sounds like you've been caught out by the bug (its very easy to i've been caught out numerous times.) If so then your only way forward is to load a saved game beforehand (eg. before you first spoke to Herman) then continue forward, providing of course that throwing the coconut multiple times dosen't work.
  • edited March 2007
    Oh no... but the most recent saved game is set on Melee island, before going to Yambalaya to get the ultimate insult! O_O

I think I'll get the bronze hat from Jojo jr. first, and then try to snap Herman out of it again... Maybe that'll work.
  • edited April 2007
    Monkey Island 4 *is* a problem :blurgh:
  • edited April 2007
    Keep throwing the coconut at him, he'll eventually give a different reply and you can carry on.
  • edited April 2007
    Meowzy wrote: »
    Oh no... but the most recent saved game is set on Melee island, before going to Yambalaya to get the ultimate insult! O_O

Hmmm, sorry. I'm a fan of Monkey Island but it's been years since I played M.I.4. It wasn't exactly my favorite one of the bunch either.
  • edited April 2007
    ok look i have the same problem, this is you have to do
    1. trow the coconut to herman, and he talcks with you
    2. you talck with herman again with out trow the coconut
    3. and then you have to trow the milk and same with the other object

PD: Sry about my english, is soo bad XD

The third of the monkey island rockssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, is the best

and a rumors are saying is (Telltale have a copy of Escape from Monkey Island in their office, and that Telltale are working on a secret project that can't be anything else than Monkey Island 5. According to a highly authoritative journalist.) if some day makes monkey island 5 i hope they make the movements of guybrush like the monkey island 3, click and move.
  • edited April 2007
    Atorrante wrote: »
    ok look i have the same problem, this is you have to do
    1. trow the coconut to herman, and he talcks with you
    2. you talck with herman again with out trow the coconut
    3. and then you have to trow the milk and same with the other object

PD: Sry about my english, is soo bad XD

The third of the monkey island rockssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, is the best

and a rumors are saying is (Telltale have a copy of Escape from Monkey Island in their office, and that Telltale are working on a secret project that can't be anything else than Monkey Island 5. According to a highly authoritative journalist.) if some day makes monkey island 5 i hope they make the movements of guybrush like the monkey island 3, click and move.

Although this is an awesome thought, I very much doubt it. If I'm wrong, I would be pleasantly surprised, but I won't bet on it...
  • edited April 2007
    LucasArts still owns the rights to Monkey Island.
  • edited April 2007
    Atorrante wrote: »
    Haha, that came from worldofmi.com. I wasn't actually serious about that - the highly authoritative journalist was Gabez - there's a 99.999% chance he was actually just joking.
  • edited April 2007
    jewels_P wrote: »
    Keep throwing the coconut at him, he'll eventually give a different reply and you can carry on.

Nope, there was no different reply. I threw the coconut a grandtotal of 12 times.

Anyway, I solved the problem by downloading a bunch of savegames. One of them was after the conversation with H.T. Marley and getting all the pieces of the insult.
    Sadly, that meant I'd missed the converstation that 'explained' the origin of Herman Toothrot (gaping plotholes EVERYWHERE), so I had to watch that on Youtube. ^^'
Sign in to comment in this discussion.