What was your worst sam and max season 3 episode

edited May 2013 in Sam & Max
Episode 1 The Penal Zone-The start of the adventure where its up to Sam & Max to stop Skunkape a power mad space ape who is trying to take over Earth.

Episode 2 The tomb of Summun-Mak-Sam & Max come across a new toy of power for Max under their office after their last fight with Skunkape and coming across their grandfathers. Using the toy of power they go into their grandfathers memories to find out what happened.

Episode 3 They Stole Max's Brain- After returning from the bathroom, Sam finds Max without his brain in the room where they were watching the memories of their grandfathers. After some work Sam finds out it was Skunkape who stole Max's brain. After finding another brain to put into Max's body, He and Sammun-Mak save Max only for Sammun-Mak to use the power of the toybox to take over the world and leaving only Max's brain in the jar as the only one who remembers the old timeline.

Episode 4 Beyond the Alley of Dolls-Sam,Max,Skunkape, Stinky and Grandpa Stinky are trapped in Stinky's diner after a army of Sam clones chased them off in Episode 3. After finding a secret way out of Stinky's underground, Sam & Max find a huge clone factory under Stinky's. Now Sam & Max must figure out who made the clones.

Episode 5 The City That Dares Not Sleep-Max has turned into a giant monster due to the events of the last episode and now Max is destroying the city. Superball is planning a attack on Max and tells Sam that he has until 6am to turn Max to normal. Now Sam with a few friends must go into Max and save him.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    The reason that i think Tomb of Sammun-Mak is the worst episode was because it felt out of place but the jokes in this episode was really funny i just think conpaired to the other episodes its just the worst.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited June 2011
    This whole season seems out of place to me, I pretty much only enjoyed the Tomb of Sammun-mak.

(Haven't played the last ep, yet)
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe "The Penal Zone" was the weakest, even though it had a lot of different locations like "Hit the Road".

"The Tomb of Sammun-mak" is one of my favourite, I had a lot of fun playing it. Maybe it's criticized because it differs from all the other episodes, but I found it amazing.

But overall, despite the initial confusion due to the controls and Max's powers just thrown there right at the start, the entire season was great and for me it's probably the best so far, also thanks to the shocking and emotional ending.
  • edited June 2011
    'The City that Dares Not Sleep' An average episode. It just didn't feel like a finale to me. It could of just ended in 'Beyond the Alley of the Dolls' which I felt resolved most problems. Ep.5 sorta felt like 'and then another thing happened'.
  • edited June 2011
    'The City that Dares Not Sleep' An average episode. It just didn't feel like a finale to me. It could of just ended in 'Beyond the Alley of the Dolls' which I felt resolved most problems. Ep.5 sorta felt like 'and then another thing happened'.

something that annoyed me was at the end of ep 5 where new max comes in i hate that!!! we went through 3 seasons with old max amd now theres a new max heres how i would have ended season 3 when u see sam look out at the statue he sees a flashing star but then its crashing down into him sam jumps out of the way and then it turns out its skunkapes ship and its broken and run down then stinky runs out of it and says im goin back to fast food and goes back to the diner sam walks inside and sees skunkape in one of the cages and sees max back to normal on the floor sam walks up to max and sees him and a tear comes out of his eye and he thinks back that this all started with skunkape invading earth and he shouts at skunkape ILL KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DONE TO MY LITTLE BUDDY and then he looks down at max again he puts his head down and then max burps in his face and laughs then sam says little buddy??? and max gets up and says ha u got my stinky breath and sam says u got me buckethead and max says sam where have i been for these last 2 weeks i had an appointment to throw jimmy two teeth out our window and sam says you crack me up little buddy and sam says wait! jimmy was in his rat hole when the buliding turned into the new penal zone and max says oops looks like our new crime fighting adventure filled next case and and they walk out with skunkape shouting SAM MAX U FORGOT TO LET ME OUT hello??? guys then max walks in and says now whos knocking who out and hits skunkape with a baseball bat then sam shouts COME ON BUCKETHEAD!!! WE GOT A CASE so thats how i would end the story.
  • edited June 2011
    episode 3 they stole max's brain, don't get my wrong the first half was GREAT! I liked interogating folks and it led to some great dialog but... the second half... it wasn't terrible but it was a shame that the interogation puzzles were so glanced over and most of the puzzles felt kinda tedious after that. I really did love the over all season though and episode 3 didn't do to much damage for me.
  • edited June 2011
    Can safely say I don't hate any of them. I loved each one from this season.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited June 2011
    I really wish they'd come back to the old Sam & Max style in the next season.
  • edited June 2011
    Profanity wrote: »
    I really wish they'd come back to the old Sam & Max style in the next season.

i actally dont mind the new style i like both the old and new style of sam and max but im used to the controls because i played wallace and gromit's grand adventures on my pc i played tales of monkey island on my ps3 my pc and my wii and i played back to the future on my pc and ps3 same with sam and max season 3 i played it on my pc and ps3
  • edited June 2011
    Jesus Christ, use commas, it's a pain to read your posts.
  • edited June 2011
    Jesus Christ, use commas, it's a pain to read your posts.

I am going to assume by this that you felt the need to suddenly pop into this thread to tell Jesus that he should use commas.
  • edited June 2011
    ^If I had the time I'd come up with a joke about Jesus not using commas on a quote from the bible which would completely change the meaning. And everyone would be like lol, rofl Sausy's the greatest.
  • edited June 2011
    The worst episode was the Penal Zone, because the game became better and better every months. :)

I liked the Penal Zone. :D
  • edited June 2011
    i think ether they stole maxs brain or penal zone is my favourite episode because in penal zone everything has not gone completely nuts yet its like any other sam and max episode in sam and maxs street and they stole maxs brain because of the jokes sam loving sammun-mak and max making fun of everyone in sammun-maks world
  • edited June 2011
    The only episodes I didnt love where the Penal Zone and They Stole Max's brain, but TSMB is the one that takes the cake that is a lie because I flat out hated it.
    Buggy, and repeated the transformation puzzle too many times.
    And for the heck of it, my favorite is the Tomb of Sammunmak with second place being Beyond the Ally of the Dolls. Tomb I just loved seeing Sammuth and Maximus, as well as old Jurgeon and Santa. Combined with great puzzle ideas on playing it all in a messed up order.
  • edited June 2011
    i got to admit through the thing i hated most in this season is the ending where max dies
  • edited July 2011
    ok next question name ur 5 sam and max season 3 episodes from 1 bein best to 5 bein worst mine are

1.the penal zone
    2.they stole max's brain
    3. tie between beyond alley of dolls and city that dares not sleep
    4.tomb of sammun-mak

and remember i like all of these episodes i just like ones better then others
  • edited October 2011
    I had a very hard time getting into the Penal Zone. The Devil's Playhouse was a big a departure from the first two seasons and it took me a while to get used to the new style. I didn't really start getting into the season until partway through the second episode.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    I had a very hard time getting into the Penal Zone.

Story of my life.
  • edited October 2011
    I want you inside me. Wait... that's not right :o
  • edited October 2011
    O.o'
  • edited April 2012
    Well after replaying episode 3 i got to say that im replacing it with Beyond The Alley of the Dolls
  • edited April 2012
    I'd rank the Season 3 episodes...
    Beyond the Alley of the Dolls > The Tomb of Sammun-Mak > The City That Dares Not Sleep > The Penal Zone > They Stole Max's Brain

Now, I love ALL the Season 3 episodes, but I think 303 is the weakest solely because of the second half. Noir Sam is amazing and mucking around Papierwaite's Museum is awesome, but the Sammun-Mak reality is ungodly annoying. The only positive thing I have to say about it is the puzzle where you have use the clues you get from future vision to determine how to win the bets on the wrestling matches was extremely clever.
    Oh, and FINISH HIM. That was good too.

301 is interesting because it's actually kind of misleading. With the story and how it plays, it gives you the initial feeling The Devil's Playhouse is gonna be a lot like the previous seasons, just improved - a silly, loosely connected adventure with the duo stopping a bunch of kooky bad guys, just with an overall B-Movie/Twilight Zone motif and Max having psychic powers to incorporate new puzzle elements.
    What TDP actually is a very connected, highly plot-driven epic story that's incredibly well-written, full of fantastic twists and turns, hilarious as it is heartwrenching, and by the end you realize it's almost shockingly thoughtful and deep.
    But I think the fact The Penal Zone is so familiar and doesn't prepare you at ALL for this before the season shifts into "S#!% JUST GOT REAL" mode is part of the whole experience and works in the season's overall favor. Kinda like how the first Harry Potter book is almost an entirely innocent little magical adventure, but by the time you hit Book 7, you're sobbing since you're so emotionally invested in it and the characters and story because this isn't your little brother's kid wizard tale anymore.

Why does nobody seem to like 305? I totally love it. The puzzles are balanced and it's an amazingly well-written episode and finale to the season and story. The twist/reveal with
    who/what The Narrator truly is
    is mind-blowing and you'll be crying by the end.
    Is it really just over
    the alternate timeline Max thing
    ? Honestly I think that's a really stupid reason to hate the episode. Then again I'm on the "The ending was fine, get over it already" side of the fence :P
  • edited April 2012
    I'd rank the Season 3 episodes...
    Beyond the Alley of the Dolls > The Tomb of Sammun-Mak > The City That Dares Not Sleep > The Penal Zone > They Stole Max's Brain

Now, I love ALL the Season 3 episodes, but I think 303 is the weakest solely because of the second half. Noir Sam is amazing and mucking around Papierwaite's Museum is awesome, but the Sammun-Mak reality is ungodly annoying. The only positive thing I have to say about it is the puzzle where you have use the clues you get from future vision to determine how to win the bets on the wrestling matches was extremely clever.
    Oh, and FINISH HIM. That was good too.

301 is interesting because it's actually kind of misleading. With the story and how it plays, it gives you the initial feeling The Devil's Playhouse is gonna be a lot like the previous seasons, just improved - a silly, loosely connected adventure with the duo stopping a bunch of kooky bad guys, just with an overall B-Movie/Twilight Zone motif and Max having psychic powers to incorporate new puzzle elements.
    What TDP actually is a very connected, highly plot-driven epic story that's incredibly well-written, full of fantastic twists and turns, hilarious as it is heartwrenching, and by the end you realize it's almost shockingly thoughtful and deep.
    But I think the fact The Penal Zone is so familiar and doesn't prepare you at ALL for this before the season shifts into "S#!% JUST GOT REAL" mode is part of the whole experience and works in the season's overall favor. Kinda like how the first Harry Potter book is almost an entirely innocent little magical adventure, but by the time you hit Book 7, you're sobbing since you're so emotionally invested in it and the characters and story because this isn't your little brother's kid wizard tale anymore.

Why does nobody seem to like 305? I totally love it. The puzzles are balanced and it's an amazingly well-written episode and finale to the season and story. The twist/reveal with
    who/what The Narrator truly is
    is mind-blowing and you'll be crying by the end.
    Is it really just over
    the alternate timeline Max thing
    ? Honestly I think that's a really stupid reason to hate the episode. Then again I'm on the "The ending was fine, get over it already" side of the fence :P

I enjoyed episode 5 but it's not just because of the different timeline Max (Where's Doc & Marty when you need them -_-) but it is one of the factors of why i think some people hate it because the Max who was with us during all of seasons 1-3 and then after a sad ending which i liked (i throught the ending with Sam walking down the street while passing by people from the last 2 seasons (the maintron and the director from season 1 episode 2) was a good way to remember Sam & Max's adventures) but another reason while some people hate this episode is because they think this season could have ended at episode 4. i disagree i think the season ended well but i hate the new timeline Max.
  • edited May 2013
    My least favourite? It's kind of a tie between The Penal Zone and They Stole Max's Brain. The Penal Zone didn't really have the best puzzles.
    They Stole Max's Brain had to many transformation puzzles, but had some good writing and funny moments.

So my poll vote goes to...

THE PENAL ZONE!!
  • edited May 2013
    My least favourite was episode 5 because...
    I missed Max...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.