Desoto from hit the road?

edited April 2007 in Sam & Max
l was browsing images on yahoo search for the cancelled freelance police game and found this concept art. screen3_large.jpg

So is this why the original desoto is not in the telltale games?

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Just a guess, but I think a new version was made so that they can jump into the car. Basically making it easier to animate. Besides, its much cooler when they jump into the car.
    About the pic... its making my mouth water. I hope they go to space in the second season. Look at the floating items... hehe.
  • edited April 2007
    I like their new car :), and the explanation for why they have a new one is in the games.
    Click on the bent parking meter in the street outside the office.
  • edited April 2007
    The covered Desoto is not LucasArts property. Steve Purcell chose to make it convertible for the Telltale games. Notice how his art for the T-shirt and the CGW cover also sports the redesign of the car.

Telltale probably had some say-so in the Desoto's new look too, but I don't think it's because they legally had to make it different.
  • edited April 2007
    I know that the Desoto is is not owned by lucasarts; the covered Desoto is in the cartoon and the comic strips (long before Hit The road).

However, I am wondering if part of the reason they used a different Desoto is because of the events of the cancelled Freelance police. In other words, my point is if part of the reason the old Desoto isn't used is because of a possible storyline in the cancelled sam and max 2 game. If so, does this make the cancelled game canon?

As for the parking meter, I know about that as well. But I don't think it would explain why the car isn't there anymore. It is possible Sam is reminiscing since the old one probably hit the meter a few too many times and that is where they used to park the old car.
  • edited April 2007
    I don't follow.
  • edited April 2007
    I am just saying is part of the reason the desoto is not present in the new games is because of what happened in freelance police? If so, does this make the events in freelance canon?
  • edited April 2007
    I'd say "no".
  • edited April 2007
    OnCallDoc wrote: »
    About the pic... its making my mouth water. I hope they go to space in the second season. Look at the floating items... hehe.

What makes you think they won't go into space in THIS season?
  • edited April 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    I am just saying is part of the reason the desoto is not present in the new games is because of what happened in freelance police?
    No.
    If so, does this make the events in freelance canon?
    No.

Dialog present in the first 3 episodes strongly suggests that the HtR Desoto was
    destroyed when it collided with a parking meter, or some similar accident.
  • edited April 2007
    I hate to burst your bubble, but
    the parking meter in front of their office were already bent in Hit the road(that's where they had parked their car, on top of the meter), which is why the bent meter reminds him of their old car
    . Still, my bet is that the simplest solution is probably the correct one(such as that there is no answer to why it is like that ;) just as there is no complete and full answer to why it's possible to link through a book in Myst).

Picture here: http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/images/Sam_and_Max.JPG

Anyway. Most cars don't run for 14 years, do they(especially not with such a crazy dog behind the wheel)? would it appear a bit odd if they still had their old car?
  • edited April 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    I hate to burst your bubble, but
    the parking meter in front of their office were already bent in Hit the road(that's where they had parked their car, on top of the meter), which is why the bent meter reminds him of their old car
    . Still, my bet is that the simplest solution is probably the correct one(such as that there is no answer to why it is like that ;) just as there is no complete and full answer to why it's possible to link through a book in Myst).

Picture here: http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/images/Sam_and_Max.JPG

Anyway. Most cars don't run for 14 years, do they(especially not with such a crazy dog behind the wheel)? would it appear a bit odd if they still had their old car?

True, I just don't find it how
    a bent parking meter would have single handedly destroy a car. It is not logical. As I and Marson said before, Sam is reminded of the old car when he looks at the parking meter since that is where the two used to park their car(in the lucas art's hit the road and from the trailer of the cancelled Freelance police.)
  • edited April 2007
    Who ever said Sam & Max was logical?
  • edited April 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Who ever said Sam & Max was logical?

I knew someone was goin to say that. I meant illogical even for Sam and Max.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I think the reason is that Steve (and others) thought it would be cool if Sam & Max sweetened up their ride in the 14 years between adventures.
  • edited April 2007
    The new car is probably easier for highway surfing too.
  • edited April 2007
    I stand semi-corrected.
    In fact, if not for the
    "I miss our old car"
    line, I wouldn't have any problem believing that it was the same car as before, and that Max had sawed the roof off manually, and any other differences would be attributed to artistic license.
    In any case,
    Max's line "I said I was sorry!" still suggests that the car was destroyed in some unspecified accident, but there's no reason to assume it's the same accident that could hypothetically have happened in Freelance Police.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Though I really don't know, I suspect it's the same car. Maybe it's just not the same to Sam now that the roof's gone. (awwww)
  • edited April 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I stand semi-corrected.
    In fact, if not for the
    "I miss our old car"
    line, I wouldn't have any problem believing that it was the same car as before, and that Max had sawed the roof off manually, and any other differences would be attributed to artistic license.
    In any case,
    Max's line "I said I was sorry!" still suggests that the car was destroyed in some unspecified accident, but there's no reason to assume it's the same accident that could hypothetically have happened in Freelance Police.

There is also no reason not to suspect it isn't from the same accident from Freelance. For all we know it could be an inside joke from the former freelance police staff. Just that the episodic games has references to their former adventures such as the stack of boxes in their office and the picture of the facuet guy from hit the road.

But like most ppl are sayin, it is most likely that the designers gave them another car for other reasons. For example, the hoodless roof makes it easier for the characters to yell , shoot, or throw things at the ppl in front of them.
  • edited April 2007
    There is also no reason not to suspect it isn't from the same accident from Freelance.

Sure there is - Freelance Police never existed! And anyway, the Desoto's taken more damage in the past than it seems to have sustained in that piece of concept art. The front's just banged up a bit. That's nothing for a car that's proven to be indestructible.
  • edited April 2007
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Sure there is - Freelance Police never existed! And anyway, the Desoto's taken more damage in the past than it seems to have sustained in that piece of concept art. The front's just banged up a bit. That's nothing for a car that's proven to be indestructible.

If that is the case, then the reference when you look at the box in the office with sam saying "Particularly grusome case" has nothing to do with the cancelled game even despite that the date on the box is the same date as the cancelled game.

Don't forget that the scene when Max is
    beating up the Robber in the trailer is considered canon since he refers to it
    in episode 2 even though he mentions a use of a weapon.

Even though the 2004 game never came out, there is no reason that it doesn't exist. I have seen things happen before where for example, an episode of Beast Wars(transformers) was never made and therefore cancelled because of the story was too mature. However, the story itself is canon to the beast wars mythology despite being cancelled and the events in that episode, though not mention, plays a cruical role for one of the characters in the series finale.

Heck, Steve Purcell wants to make that cancelled Sam and Max shooting action game into a book. So I wouldn't say that wouldn't be canon since it may in the future.
  • edited April 2007
    If that is the case, then the reference when you look at the box in the office with sam saying "Particularly grusome case" has nothing to do with the cancelled game even despite that the date on the box is the same date as the cancelled game.

...But the date of the cancelled game is common knowledge (at least among Sam & Max fans). No one knows the story details of the space station case from Freelance Police, so a reference to it seems not only exceedingly unlikely, but pointless.

The difference, doom saber, is that the trailer existed. People saw it. You can watch it right now. There is therefore an audience of people who will recognize a reference to it. Plus it may or may not be a reference in the first place. It's perfectly plausible to me as a reference but it's equally possible that the similarities in the line are coincidence.
    Even though the 2004 game never came out, there is no reason that it doesn't exist. I have seen things happen before where for example, an episode of Beast Wars(transformers) was never made and therefore cancelled because of the story was too mature. However, the story itself is canon to the beast wars mythology despite being cancelled and the events in that episode, though not mention, plays a cruical role for one of the characters in the series finale.

Since when does Sam & Max have such a strong adherence to a mythology or backstory? Its lack of it is in fact one of the staples of the license. Sam & Max may cause some kind of irreversible mayhem in one case like destroying a planet or wrecking a major city or losing one of their limbs or something, but in the next story it's like nothing ever happened and they're off on their next unlikely case. It would blow my mind if someone tried to map out an extensive Sam & Max timeline like Star Wars or something, dedicated to finding plot points that might pay off at a later date. (Though I would read it.)
    Heck, Steve Purcell wants to make that cancelled Sam and Max shooting action game into a book. So I wouldn't say that wouldn't be canon since it may in the future.

My understanding is that the cancelled space game was based on a story that Steve had wrote much earlier but never bothered to make into a full-fledged comic. All I think he meant is that since the game didn't get made, he may one day try to make the comic. And if it does get made, then yes, it can be considered "canon." But until then, it's not.
  • edited April 2007
    Even though the 2004 game never came out, there is no reason that it doesn't exist.
    Anyone remember when you look at the box in the office and Sam says, "I remember that case, particularly gruesome." Maybe the events shown in Freelance Police--including their new ride, which I personally think is just as good as the old one--were too gruesome to show to the public. Or, maybe LucasArts are a bunch of idiots who don't know how many people would buy a Sam & Max game.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    My theory is that wolverine made their old car into a convertible. He did it to Cyclops, why not Sam and Max?
  • edited April 2007
    He turned Cyclops into a convertible????
  • edited April 2007
    Something we all know but which needs to be pointed out for the record: the date on the box is not a date in which the events of Freelance Police are set nor even the originally planned release date. It is the date the cancellation of Freelance Police was announced. Are you suggesting that the cancellation is canon? :D
    So what? You don't really believe that time in Freelance Police is the only time Max ever did something like that, do you? He could be referring to any of a number of times he did that.
    03-03-04 is a meta-reference to Freelance Police proper, it is not a reference to any event that took place within the Freelance Police story. The car and the comment in ep2 might be, but there is no compelling reason to believe they are at this point. You're grasping at straws here.
  • edited April 2007
    that car is not indestructible............
    as you will see when episode five comes out :rolleyes:

that is one big dent... :eek:
  • edited April 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Something we all know but which needs to be pointed out for the record: the date on the box is not a date in which the events of Freelance Police are set nor even the originally planned release date. It is the date the cancellation of Freelance Police was announced. Are you suggesting that the cancellation is canon? :D
    So what? You don't really believe that time in Freelance Police is the only time Max ever did something like that, do you? He could be referring to any of a number of times he did that.
    03-03-04 is a meta-reference to Freelance Police proper, it is not a reference to any event that took place within the Freelance Police story. The car and the comment in ep2 might be, but there is no compelling reason to believe they are at this point. You're grasping at straws here.

I can go on and say how thing is written in stone and that cancelled games, movies, and other media can be considered canon.

I guess no one has ever heard of Warcraft adventures and how that game is considered canon.

I swear, some of you guys are buzz kills. I find it hilarious that I mention one theory about what may have happen to the car and some of you guys feel like it is your duty to crush my hopes and dreams. LOL you guys are no fun....
  • edited April 2007
    I apologise if I've overreacted and been a bit of a spoilsport. I actually mostly enjoy such theorizing. I guess it's just that the arguments so far have seemed a bit far-fetched to me -and outright bizarre in the case of the 03-03-04 argument.
    I've indeed never heard of Warcraft adventures before. But from reading the wikipedia article I get the impression that the only reason it is considered canon is because Blizzard published the story in book form afterwards.

If you'll forgive a bit more boring nitpicky stuff, I'm noticing an interesting use of terminology here. There seem to be at least two concepts to be considered: 'officially canon', and 'considered canon'. Now, if someone says "(I wonder if) X means that Y is officially canon(?)", then X had better be a very compelling argument. This burden of evidence is much higher than if someone were merely to say "(I wonder if) X means that Y should be considered canon [by us](?)". I think the strong reactions you've experienced may for an important part be due to people interpreting you in the former sense rather than the latter. Especially since some people are strongly opposed to the notion of 'officially canon' being applicable to Sam & Max at all.
  • edited April 2007
    Well, one thing we do know is that Max is canon in at least one universe ;)
  • edited April 2007
    I don't know what happened to the old desoto, but does anyone like the batmobile-esque look of the new one besides me.(the old batmobile if anyone is not old in here.)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.