*Endgame spoilers* Can someone explain these points to me?

edited June 2011 in Back to the Future
****WARNING: IT IS A SPOILER THREAD - SO NO COMPLAINING ABOUT IT AS I'VE SEEN SOME PEOPLE IN OTHER THREADS HAVE THAT STATE SPOILER ALERT****

Okay I REALLY need to know if someone can explain these two points to me as they're the things that really ruined the game for me in terms of continuity. The game would have been AWESOME if I didn't feel like things had been lost for me.

The first being: How did the DeLorean exist? It was destroyed in the end of the third game? (I actually started to rationale that this Doc was a situation that happened between the second and third film until my second point)

and the second? Why was his marriage with Clara not more integral to the story? Surely it should have played a MUCH bigger role in him not marrying Edna. I wasn't even sure if he HAD married Clara until it was mentioned quickly in passing at the end of the game =/

So can anyone clarify for me?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Doc reveals in - what - Episode 1? - that the Delorean is a duplicate created by wibbly-wobbly time-wimey stuff, when the original was hit by lightening in the second film.

There's little purpose in mentioning Clara very often, because Doc rarely appears in the game; she wouldn't mean anything to either Young Emmet or to Judge Emmet Brown.
  • edited June 2011
    @Cez24 Brilliant - I think this pretty much explains the first point. However the first point still stands, I mean it's been a few months since the first couple of eps however wouldn't you think Doc would be trying to stop his relationship with Edna considering his marriage? The timeline wouldn't have taken effect quick enough for him to want to salvage it?

@Fitzoliver: Relating to my reply to Cez24, it's not about enough mention of Clara as opposed to actually mentioning her in general. But from a storytelling point of view to quote you "she wouldn't mean anything to either Young Emmet or to Judge Emmet Brown." Exactly, but who WOULD she mean something to? Doc of course. Why was there nothing of his marriage to Clara or Marty even worried at a single point that he's already a happily married man - with kids! There wasn't even a brief conversation about it at any point during the story. So it leads to wonder why Marty was trying to get them together at the risk of effecting his timeline so heavily he never ends up with Clara.

I know it seems like I'm just picking, and feel free to ignore me if I am at risk of arguing over an empty point. But realistically I think that the topic of Clara (if mentioned in the story as I imagined it probably should have done) should have been a lot more of a variable in both Doc's and Marty's decisions.
  • edited June 2011
    Kenn San wrote: »
    @Cez24 Brilliant - I think this pretty much explains the first point. However the first point still stands, I mean it's been a few months since the first couple of eps however wouldn't you think Doc would be trying to stop his relationship with Edna considering his marriage? The timeline wouldn't have taken effect quick enough for him to want to salvage it?

@Fitzoliver: Relating to my reply to Cez24, it's not about enough mention of Clara as opposed to actually mentioning her in general. But from a storytelling point of view to quote you "she wouldn't mean anything to either Young Emmet or to Judge Emmet Brown." Exactly, but who WOULD she mean something to? Doc of course. Why was there nothing of his marriage to Clara or Marty even worried at a single point that he's already a happily married man - with kids! There wasn't even a brief conversation about it at any point during the story. So it leads to wonder why Marty was trying to get them together at the risk of effecting his timeline so heavily he never ends up with Clara.

I know it seems like I'm just picking, and feel free to ignore me if I am at risk of arguing over an empty point. But realistically I think that the topic of Clara (if mentioned in the story as I imagined it probably should have done) should have been a lot more of a variable in both Doc's and Marty's decisions.
    But Doc wouldn't be trying to save his marriage because it is an alternate Doc to the one in the Movies and episodes 1-2. He has no recollection of ever meeting Clara. He never even created the time machine.
  • edited June 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    But Doc wouldn't be trying to save his marriage because it is an alternate Doc to the one in the Movies and episodes 1-2. He has no recollection of ever meeting Clara. He never even created the time machine.

I'm a little curious what you mean by a different doc to the movies? In what sense? It's set after the third film and characters can only follow a single timeline. At the point he was imprisoned he knew about it.... otherwise how would he know it'd called Marty back - I guess the only explanation that makes sense to me would be as I originally imagined it was Doc from between BTTF 2 and 3 until the point that he comes back near the end after he gets the news clipping (when Clara is mentioned - this is the only point as once again it doesn't make sense for Doc to talk himself out of science and therefore - no meeting Clara) at which point everything is back to normal.. although it does lead to another conundrum (I know I'm just picking any hole I can, but a hole is a hole - with how the films continuity worked so well, I think it's certainly worth raising the questions).

With the path Doc took after and he is to receive - I think it was the Key to the City, his science was certainly taken more seriously - does it lead you to think that perhaps with how things would have changed; even if he met Marty, would the events of the film have happened - I mean as a more respected scientist would he have tested his Time Machine in the middle of a mall car park, even more so would he have obtained the plutonium in such a seedy manner.

It also makes you wonder though doesn't it? When the time line effects a specific person the effects happen pretty quick, yet the future Marty stuck around with the DeLorean for quite some time at the time Doc actually didn't create the Flux Capacitor. :P
  • edited June 2011
    I'm a little curious what you mean by a different doc to the movies? In what sense? It's set after the third film and characters can only follow a single timeline. At the point he was imprisoned he knew about it.... otherwise how would he know it'd called Marty back - I guess the only explanation that makes sense to me would be as I originally imagined it was Doc from between BTTF 2 and 3 until the point that he comes back near the end after he gets the news clipping (when Clara is mentioned - this is the only point as once again it doesn't make sense for Doc to talk himself out of science and therefore - no meeting Clara) at which point everything is back to normal.. although it does lead to another conundrum (I know I'm just picking any hole I can, but a hole is a hole - with how the films continuity worked so well, I think it's certainly worth raising the questions).

With the path Doc took after and he is to receive - I think it was the Key to the City, his science was certainly taken more seriously - does it lead you to think that perhaps with how things would have changed; even if he met Marty, would the events of the film have happened - I mean as a more respected scientist would he have tested his Time Machine in the middle of a mall car park, even more so would he have obtained the plutonium in such a seedy manner.

It also makes you wonder though doesn't it? When the time line effects a specific person the effects happen pretty quick, yet the future Marty stuck around with the DeLorean for quite some time at the time Doc actually didn't create the Flux Capacitor. :P
    LOL I think I need a lie down. Time theories confuse the hell out of me. Anyway you make some interesting points. If Doc never stole the plutonium because he was a respected scientist, then the events of the games and movies never happened. It makes you wonder, that only one tiny detail has to change for everything to change.
    What I meant by a different Doc is that first citizen Brown is an alternate version. Sorry I didn't understand you point. Do you mean that the Doc from episodes 1 and 2, should have tried to stop Edna from marrying Emmett once the timeline went back to normal?
  • edited June 2011
    Haha yeah don't worry, even my mind is trying to work it out so I can say it all makes sense.

My original rationale was that if it was Doc after the 3rd film why would he not care that his marriage and kids were in jeopardy? It doesn't make sense for the actual character and his motives to not involve his family - it's basic human nature for your family to have one of the (if not) greatest effect on all of your decisions. But after some of the earlier posts it would make sense if it worked like this:

Doc from the start until he 'dies' at the science fair = Doc from after BTTF 2
    Doc after this = Doc from after BTTF 3

If this was the case, Doc wouldn't have Clara as a variable in any decision he made (eg. ending up with another woman) because she wouldn't have existed.

By the time he came back (when Hill Valley 'disappeared') Doc had no intention of reconciling with Edna as he was happily married with Clara - hence the first mention of her in the ENTIRE game =P

I'm happy to accept Marty not mentioning it (being from past BTTF 3 as proven by the photo at the start of the game) but as long as what I've said above makes sense - works for me! ;)
  • the doc plotlines should be the following;
    Old Doc; timeline is everything we see, has the experience with marty in 1955 and the various time travels from 1985 the last being getting stuck in 1885 before briefly returning to 1985 with the time train, goes off to live in the past or the future with his family and then eventually getting stuck in 1931. Gets erased at the end of ep 2 due to the FCB timeline coming in and likely meaning doc dies before his age in the previous timeline
    First citizen brown; seems to be meeting Marty for the first time since 1931 in episode 3. It appears the 1955 time travels did not happen, very clear the 1885 ones did not hence why Clara Clayton is nothing more than a history note for him. Does not time travel at any point until the beginning of episode 4 (travels back in time six months in 1986 and then back to 1931), has a few time travels within 1931 but then fades at the beginning of episode 5 due to the timeline being restored.

New but still old doc; the one who comes back midway through episode 5. Seems his timeline is similar but slightly altered from Old doc. he went through the same time travels in the trilogy. Now the difference is that this Doc settled his family into the 1980s so in this timeline he hasn't been gone for six months like we saw at the start of the game. It's confirmed he does still travel to 1931 before the start of the game. It's believed he goes through the same events in epsiodes 1 and 2, unclear what happens in his timeline at the end of episode 2; does he arrive in 1986 successfully instead of fading out? Does he fade back in at some point? When did he come from?
  • edited June 2011
    MJFiC I'm not sure if I'm getting confused, do you mean what happens to Marty? I can't remember the exact details as I said earlier it's been a while ago :P I'm pretty sure that's when Arty is killed, you save Arty and therefore you're fine.

There's also a point at which two Martys are in the same time simultaneously which is the part I think you're on about. This makes sense because it's just like his FAR future self coming back, instead it's his self from about an hour coming back :P meaning they can't bump into one another.

Another thing that I didn't entirely understand was Ednas 'sudden' change of name to Mary somethingorother. I know she had a lapse but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have forgotten her name... have I missed something there? If not it's something that clearly should have been explained, even if only in passing so the player understands.

Overall now I'm starting to go through all of this it's starting to make me think that the story was in fact, really poorly written with quite a few things that hadn't been thought out (ie. the way I'm pointing out, well if this happened - wouldn't this happen?)- and we're the ones who are in fact trying to fill in these holes with justification as to why it happens. I mean even giving a clear point to the fact by the end none of this may have actually happened? It was also almost as if the Clara situation was something they realized at the last second and needed to get it in there.

I feel as though the third film wrapped things up nicely and it was all fine, easily understood and anything could easily be explained because there's substantial evidence to prove pretty much anything that needs clarifying. However I feel as though some of this story has been rushed and left assumed answers to questions leaving more holes, contradictions, and even more questions.
  • edited June 2011
    Doc reveals in - what - Episode 1? - that the Delorean is a duplicate created by wibbly-wobbly time-wimey stuff, when the original was hit by lightening in the second film.

There's little purpose in mentioning Clara very often, because Doc rarely appears in the game; she wouldn't mean anything to either Young Emmet or to Judge Emmet Brown.

Doctor Who reference? :)
  • edited June 2011

lol doctor who much?

anyway i totally agree with this :)
  • edited June 2011
    does he arrive in 1986 successfully instead of fading out? Does he fade back in at some point? When did he come from?

I think the New Doc and Marty both arrived back in 1986 as normal and things in that timeline continued as it was supposed to. Then New Doc got the key to the city, saw the newspaper and came to see Marty. and thats were the episode joins in.

But then again I actually think it worked out so that from the New Doc's point of view none the events in episode 1 and 2 happened. Did you see the way he reacted to Marty being in 1931. I think he went back in time, got the info he needed and then left for the future again so Marty never had to come back in the first place. I know this creates a paradox but there are so many supposed paradoxes in it anyway does it really matter?
  • edited June 2011
    @Fitzoliver: Relating to my reply to Cez24, it's not about enough mention of Clara as opposed to actually mentioning her in general. But from a storytelling point of view to quote you "she wouldn't mean anything to either Young Emmet or to Judge Emmet Brown." Exactly, but who WOULD she mean something to? Doc of course. Why was there nothing of his marriage to Clara or Marty even worried at a single point that he's already a happily married man - with kids! There wasn't even a brief conversation about it at any point during the story.

Reasonably sure that they discussed Clara in both the first and final episodes.
  • edited June 2011
    Reasonably sure that they discussed Clara in both the first and final episodes.

Really? I know they did in the final one, is anyone able to confirm they mentioned her in the first?

I may have just been a bit dopey and missed that they mentioned her. But I just remember for the whole thing wondering about what'd happened to her.
  • edited June 2011
    Really? I know they did in the final one, is anyone able to confirm they mentioned her in the first?

I may have just been a bit dopey and missed that they mentioned her. But I just remember for the whole thing wondering about what'd happened to her.

In the first episode, you have to ask Doc why he came to 1931 and he'll explain that he wanted to find out who the speakeasy arsonist was for Clara's birthday. He only says this if you ask him, so you may not have.
  • edited June 2011
    Person #23 wrote: »
    In the first episode, you have to ask Doc why he came to 1931 and he'll explain that he wanted to find out who the speakeasy arsonist was for Clara's birthday. He only says this if you ask him, so you may not have.

Doc stated that he came back to 1931 to get some out of print books for Clara's birthday and to find out who the speakeasy arsonist was. Also in episode 2, if you ask him about 1931 again, Marty realizes that Doc wasn't exactly telling him everything and asks what the real reason was. Doc says it's personal and that he'd tell him about it later. We finally find out the reason when Doc gives Marty the book about his family.
  • edited June 2011
    To be fair I think Clara was mentioned quite a bit in the series. The Only episode she isn't really mentioned in is the 2nd. The 1st , doc mentions how they're discussing where to take the boys to college and makes out that the trip to 1931 is to get Clara a souvenir. 3rd she's mentioned when FCB pleads with marty to tell him if he's happy in the other timeline. And the 4th she's mentioned by marty when hes surprised to hear the timeline has changed back to Clara having died in the ravine, when marty argues with a very pissed off edna in FCB1986 and when Marty tries to assure Doc that in the 'real' timeline he was happy with his wife and a 'bitchin' time train'. And doc explains in the 5th that they've both decided to stick around in the 80's (who wouldn't).
    Still would have been nice to have actually seen them in the game at some point, but hey theres always the second series.
    Mary Steenburgen to play Clara for the second season <--- get on the case TellTale! ;)
  • edited June 2011
    daeva0123 wrote: »
    Still would have been nice to have actually seen them in the game at some point, but hey theres always the second series.
    Mary Steenburgen to play Clara for the second season <--- get on the case TellTale! ;)

I agree. If telltale is going to make a season 2 they should definetly get Mary Steenburgen. If only for a cameo.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.