Climatic chase through Hill Valley's past, present and future

2»

Comments

• edited June 2011
    And if Edna jumped into the future...well, who cares?
  • edited June 2011
    That synopsis fooled me as well, but more in connection with the concept art going with it: the DeLorean driving in front of the court house with rain and lightning.

Episode one has the DeLorean suddenly showing up in front of Marty; doesn't really happen that way in the game, the car seemingly falling out of the sky or something. The car appearing in the game is far less flashy, but it still appears.

Episode two has Marty hiding in an alley from Tannen. Happens in the game.

Three has Citizen Brown standing in the top of the clock tower. Happens in the game.

Four has young Doc in his workplace. Happens in the game.

I was expecting you'd somehow wind up back in 1955 when the clock tower was struck by lightning. Nothing like this happens in the game.
  • edited July 2011
    The reason why there isn't a future in BTTF episode 5 is because the EXPO was the "future".
  • edited July 2011
    I am sorry to say that also I was disappointed by this final episode. While we were promised a "Climatic chase through Hill Valley's past, present and future" we didn't even visit the future. Also, the ending sure came abruptly, which for me was rather anticlimactic.

I expected one more part within the episode for it to feel complete, but when Doc and Marty came back to 1986 it all seemed to start wrapping up. This can't be it! Then the DeLorean appeared and I smiled and thought "All right, here's trouble! :)". But as I eagerly waited to hear what would happen next Doc and Marty jumped in their DeLorean and I got a classic BTTF ending with them flying towards the camera. Credits rolling. Now this left a bitter aftertaste.

The ending was good, but it came way too soon for me to appreciate it. I enjoyed the episode, and would've made it my favourite unless it had betrayed me like this. Couldn't this last episode have been a bit longer to compensate for previous episodes being and feeling short? This felt even shorter as I this time expected to get more when I suddenly got a The End sign thrown at my face.
  • edited July 2011
    Ingo wrote: »
    I am sorry to say that also I was disappointed by this final episode. While we were promised a "Climatic chase through Hill Valley's past, present and future" we didn't even visit the future. Also, the ending sure came abruptly, which for me was rather anticlimactic.

I expected one more part within the episode for it to feel complete, but when Doc and Marty came back to 1986 it all seemed to start wrapping up. This can't be it! Then the DeLorean appeared and I smiled and thought "All right, here's trouble! :)". But as I eagerly waited to hear what would happen next Doc and Marty jumped in their DeLorean and I got a classic BTTF ending with them flying towards the camera. Credits rolling. Now this left a bitter aftertaste.

The ending was good, but it came way too soon for me to appreciate it. I enjoyed the episode, and would've made it my favourite unless it had betrayed me like this. Couldn't this last episode have been a bit longer to compensate for previous episodes being and feeling short? This felt even shorter as I this time expected to get more when I suddenly got a The End sign thrown at my face.

Ya know, I'd have to agree with you :)

I, too, felt that Telltale could have put it better than the "Past, Present, and Future" wording. And, the ending came way too soon. Overall, though, I massively enjoyed the game :)
    To me, it felt like a BttF movie, but kind of a "What-If?" sorta movie. If your vision of BttF is ruined by the game, then that's the person's opinion. I like the game for what it was. And, be honest, people, if there were puzzles in the game that totally screwed you over or actually caused a "Game Over" scenario, wouldn't you ALSO be complaining about that? To me, being completely hosed in a game doesn't seem to fit the character of the licensed property. No one, all-in-all, dies in the movies! When everything's said and done, almost all the characters end up with happy endings (Biff, I think, can be argued either way; and don't mention Red Thomas or Joey Baines).
  • looks like the future aint coming ;)
  • edited July 2012
    Whistleblowers a lot of work to that game! A lot better than the other back to the future of the game.
  • I just don't buy the defense that having three time periods represent past, present, and future. According to this logic, 1931 is considered the PRESENT with 1986 the FUTURE?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I just don't buy the defense that having three time periods represent past, present, and future. According to this logic, 1931 is considered the PRESENT with 1986 the FUTURE?
    There were three future Martys... although, yeah that wasn't really part of the "climactic chase".
  • Jennifer wrote: »
    There were three future Martys... although, yeah that wasn't really part of the "climactic chase".

see any justification doesn't fit;
    -as i mentioned, 3 time periods does not automatically constitute past, present and future
    -I've heard people claim ludicrous things such as the presence of future devices such as the video game headset and hover board
    -the 3 marty's which again isn't a chase. In fact it's not known if doc and marty are even headed to the future.
  • edited August 2012
    Concerning the climactic chase (what is a "climatic chase" anyway? ;) ): Earlier discussions in this forum were well aware that there might not be a "future" segment even though the episode description explicitly mentions "Hill Valley's future".

The way the story developed in episodes one to three, it has become very clear that describing even more time periods in detail would not be functional, something TTG would not want. I even doubted another time period in episode 5, and from a storytelling point of view, the 1876 segment wasn't very well implemented. You don't see the town, you don't see or speak to Marshall Strickland, you just have a hastily programmed half-finished saloon and a generic out-of-the-blue Tannen variant with a moustache (all right, I'll take the Tannen as an allusion to "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak").

From the 1931 perspective, we have actually experienced four different versions of the future. There's original 1986 in episode 1, "the Tannens rule Hill Valley" 1986 in episode 2, the Citizen Brown version in episode 3 and the final "Doc Brown lives in Hill Valley again" version at the end of the Season.

As we have seen three different time periods, we have also technically seen a past, present and future. And I am thankful that TTG has not tried to desperately push even more time periods in, as a full exposition would have become incredibly tedious and no exposition at all as irritating as the 1876 segment.

well said vain ;)

can i add to the time lines by mentioning the 'edna burned down the town hence hill valley doesn't exist'

imo the past present and future tag line was not mean't to be taken litterally, the chase was following edna through time, the future was the ending with edna and kid tannen and the marty's...
  • well said vain ;)

can i add to the time lines by mentioning the 'edna burned down the town hence hill valley doesn't exist'

imo the past present and future tag line was not mean't to be taken litterally, the chase was following edna through time, the future was the ending with edna and kid tannen and the marty's...

so again PRESENT and FUTURE are you claiming that 1986 encompasses both or claiming 1931 represents the present?
  • edited August 2012
    Well I actually think that TTG overused time travels throughout this BTTF season.
    If you look at the movies (which are about 2hrs each I know) there were much less time travels: and it wasn't about travelling as often as possible to show as many periods as possible but rather about the special aspects of certain time periods. How people and life is at that time.
    In the BTTF game there were so many time jumps and especially the ending showed that the whole issue of time travelling was f*ed up with all the martys being around.
    I mean the movies always tried to keep some sort of order, to recreate a universe that works without doubles and alternate versions of people stuck together.
    Fact is that more time travels just mean more problems with continuity and it starts getting really weird because the time traveller tends to interfere with its own past more and more.
    In the game I would have loved to explore just two or three different settings but they should have been presented with real detail and love. Maybe two episodes just take place in one period and you have to deal with certain problems within this time period. A well developed setting and characters could easily make a period interesting for four or five hours.
    But as a lot of you already said, I also expected a future setting in the last episode because of the synopsis. But instead we got a rather dumb western-setting with Edna and Bjuford and the chase was also a lot too goofey.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.