Thinking about buying Hit the Road. Could I get some advice?

edited September 2011 in Sam & Max
Okay, since I've finished Surfin' the Highway, the only thing I haven't done is play Hit the Road.

However, I had a few questions about it that I was hoping someone could answer for me.

First of all, when I search Amazon, I'm seeing two different things. Which one of these links leads to the one I need for my PC?

http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Max-Hit-the-Road/dp/B0007WOX4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309051168&sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Max-Hit-Road-Pc/dp/B000O6DW3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309051168&sr=1-2-catcorr

Also, will I need something like ScummVM to run it properly? How difficult is ScummVM to use?

Sorry about the wall of text, but if I could get any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• edited June 2011
    It's not very difficult, you just have to read the instructions.

I don't know what version you're getting, but make sure it's the one with the VOICE ACTING. There's a version that doesn't have it. If the file is like 8 MB or so, then it's the version WITHOUT the voice action.

HTR is very fun :D
  • edited June 2011
    Looking at your links, apparently it's the 24.50 one.
  • edited June 2011
    I thought the first link was correct. Thank you for that confirmation.
  • edited June 2011
    Definitely get the one with the Voice Acting. After all, what's the point of playing Sam and Max without hearing their hilarious lines?
  • edited June 2011
    You can get it for much less on eBay though...

Like THIS one. Just be sure to get the CD version and not the floppy version.

Also, ScummVM is very easy to use. Just run it, click the "add game" button and pick your CD drive (while the game CD is in it, of course). Usually it recognizes the game right away and your good to go.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll look at ordering in a few days. I admit that I'm going to have to adjust to the older voices since I'm used to the Telltale games, but that's fine. I just want to see more wacky hijinks and random misadventures.

(I also need to actually get around to playing ToMI...)
  • edited June 2011
    You can get it for much less on eBay though...

Like THIS one. Just be sure to get the CD version and not the floppy version.

Also, ScummVM is very easy to use. Just run it, click the "add game" button and pick your CD drive (while the game CD is in it, of course). Usually it recognizes the game right away and your good to go.

It's easier to just copy all the files on the game CD to your harddrive, click the "add game" button, and pick the folder you copied the files to. That way, you don't have to have the CD in your CD drive in order to play.
  • edited June 2011
    Funny, I've actually started playing the Telltale games recently and it's odd getting used to the new voices, having played Hit the Road when it came out back in the day. Enjoy.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, I placed my order.

Now I just gotta wait for it to show up, get it running, and have fun.
  • edited September 2011
    Was amused to see a new copy of "Hit the Road" for sale in Clas Ohlson this afternoon. Unless whoever buys it is familiar with, e.g., this forum, they'd have a helluva problem running it nowadays!

(Thank heavens for SCUMM, I say)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.