Episode 5 - Nod to Castlevania SoTN

edited April 2007 in Sam & Max
I dig the nod to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with the save points.

samnmaxsotn.jpg

samnmaxsotn2.jpg

Nice touch

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I was wondering what that was from. Only thing I could think of was the "bit" from Tron.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure it's actually a d20 but it could also be a Castlevania thing, what with the lack of numbers and all. Who knows?
  • edited April 2007
    I couldn't find a screenshot, but from the one image I did find on Google, it does seem pretty similar.
    sotnpg13.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Ah hey, crazy, there is a definite resemblance.

I think it was actually a d20 in the original concept art, but I can't remember for sure, so I might accidentally be spreading misinformation here.
  • edited April 2007
    nah, it's definitely from Symphony of the Night.

The save points looked just like that in that Castlevania game, and it serves the same purpose (a save point) in Sam & Max.
  • BrendanBrendan Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    What a weird coincidence. Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games!
  • edited April 2007
    Brendan wrote: »

and apparently someone at Telltale's as well
  • edited April 2007
    I thought it was supposed to be a d20 too. :/ But then again, it's not numbered.
  • edited April 2007
    Clearly, it's a D20 with a stylized zero on every face.
    *rolls* Zero again. Dang.
    edited April 2007
    The save points looked just like that in that Castlevania game, and it serves the same purpose (a save point) in Sam & Max.

Ah crazy, didnt know those were save points in the Castlevania game. Maybe I should play it instead of watch someone else play it for 10 minutes and then walk away. Color me totally lame.
  • edited April 2007
    Loved reality 2.0!

The list of nods to old obscure tech stuff indicates that at least some of the writers remember the "good old days"!

So far, I got these:

Tron: "End of line"

Sinistar arcade game: (general tone of arcade game shaped computer, an a direct quote, iirc)

Zork: should be obvious :)

(I tried blind typing "xyzzy" during reality 1.5, but nothing happened. I suspect, though, that keyboard input parsing is not a priority for the game coders, for obvious reasons.)

Can anyone pick any more ancient computer related in-jokes?

l8r,

Pete
  • edited April 2007
    ogoun wrote: »
    Sinistar arcade game: (general tone of arcade game shaped computer, an a direct quote, iirc)

I think it was "I HUNGER!"
  • edited April 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Ah crazy, didnt know those were save points in the Castlevania game. Maybe I should play it instead of watch someone else play it for 10 minutes and then walk away. Color me totally lame.

Symphony of the Night is probably one of the best 2D RPG platformers ever. The writing is deliciously awful too. You should steal someone's copy asaply.
  • edited April 2007

Only the post SNES castlevania games have save points unless you count the import version of Simon's quest. After the ps game, all the castlevania games are played like metroid. Also, the save points are different from game to game.

Here is the pic of the save room I found online; Because the originalimage was in png, I had to upload it to photobucket and change the image extenstion :

[sotn_10.jpg

I think it is a coincidence though the o's in sam and max has a circle in it.
  • edited April 2007
    Kingsley wrote: »
    Symphony of the Night is probably one of the best 2D RPG platformers ever. The writing is deliciously awful too. You should steal someone's copy asaply.

Why steal another copy when you can purchase it on Xbox Live Arcade (if you have a 360,) or wait till Castlevania Dracula X chronicles comes out for the psp this September? If I were you guys, I would wait for the psp version. i heard the Xbox version is missing little stuff like the cg intro and some sound effectrs. However, l heard that these will be put back in future patches.

As for the psp version, it will be a slight remake where new stuff will be added in such as a cast of new voice actors to replace the bad ones (Say goodbye to the crappy writing since it will be.) It will still be 2d sprite based. In reality, SOTN is the sequel to Dracula X (rondo of blood.) That is why in Japan, Castlevania SOTN is called Dracula X: Nocturne of the Moonlight (Symphony of the Night is really the title of one of the bgm in the game; in the us game, Nocturne of the moonlight is now the name of the bgm)

Anyways, the psp version will have two games. Rondo of Blood and SOTN. Rondo of Blood will be a 2.5D remake of the original Pc Engine; the pack will mostly focus on the Rondo game and the SOTN game is merely an added game to the UMD. the reason for Rondo having a make over as oppose to SOTN is that Rondo never came out in the U.S. As a result, gamers were confused at the Richter Intro in SOTN; this level is really the last level in Rondo. The UMD will include the original Rondo (in all it's pc engine glory) as a secret game.
  • MelMel
    edited April 2007
    tycho.png
    This was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the uber die. :)
  • edited April 2007
    Mario's golden coins, Link's wooden sword, and the Iron Rations from Eye of the Beholder demand equal representation!
  • edited April 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    Because the originalimage was in png, I had to upload it to photobucket and change the image extenstion :

What the hell is wrong with pings? That Tycho picture that Mel posted is a ping. It works just fine. Microsoft has eaten your mind*! Ping is the neatest format the internet supports; at 8bit it is actually smaller than gifs of the same image, while otherwise it supports alpha blending.

*) they have been waging war with proper png support since forever.
    edited April 2007
    Brendan wrote:
    and apparently someone at Telltale's as well

I think you missed something there.
  • edited April 2007
    I think you missed something there.

I'm confused :confused: what did he miss?
    edited April 2007
    (Brendan is someone at Telltale)
  • edited April 2007
    Brendan is the guy who helps design the sam and max games, so I think it is more of a coincidence now
  • edited April 2007
    Or, you know, not a coincidence at all. :p
  • edited April 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Or, you know, not a coincidence at all. :p

I meant more than not

I sometimes put the opposite of what I meant by mistake
Sign in to comment in this discussion.