How important do you think a narrator is?

edited May 2012 in Kings Quest Game
There are a couple of things I'd really like to see carried over from the previous King's Quest point & click games. Firstly, a narrator like there's been in KQ5, KQ6 and the fan-project The Silver Lining. A narrator just adds that much more feeling to the game, and I for one would be very disappointed if the Telltale game doesn't have a narrator.

Secondly, something I think is equally important is additional ways to interact with objects in the game world. The Sierra model has always had changeable icons for looking, touching and talking, while the Telltale adventure games do not have this feature. In the Telltale games you click on something, and the character will do whatever he's scripted to do, whether it's talking or picking something up or commenting on it.

Adventure games need to have the ability to just examine something, and in the King's Quest franchise this is especially important.
There should be the traditional "hand, eye, talk" icons and a narrator with a wide array of voice-acted lines to make the game world feel a bit more three-dimensional, or it just won't do justice to the King's Quest genre at all.

So I'm curious, what are other people's views on this? How do you feel about the TT games so far only having a mouse-pointer that doesn't change into for example an examine-icon?
And is a narrator something you guys will be expecting?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    The multi-icon interface is not something Telltale will ever do. It's too "difficult" and adds too many useless possibilities. I mean, Telltale's stance seems to be that if it doesn't have the potential to further the game or the plot then it gets cut out or not thrown in to begin with. Why would they add multiple icons that won't add anything but more lines of dialogue for all possible interactions?

I think they should, but they won't. I also doubt we'll be getting a narrator.
  • edited July 2011
    Adding non-essential things to explore is not pointless, it gives a game substance and replay-value. If the only things you can do in a game is further the game's story along, then you might as well eliminate the clicking and make the game one big cut-scene.

I also really think they should revise their model with the single-purpose icon and use multi-icon for this particular game. Not doing so would be a mistake. Sure, it may be appropriate for some of their earlier titles like BTTF and Sam and Max, but not for KQ.
  • edited July 2011
    I really really want a narrator. Three different cursors would be great too, as it really makes the game more alive, the puzzles more challenging (should I lick the object, or should I poke it~), and allows funny lines about "incorrect" usages of objects for either the main character or the narrator
  • edited July 2011
    There HAS to be a narrator. It wouldn't feel like a Sierra game without one. Telltale characters already mumble things to themselves when looking at things; how hard could it be just to give that dialogue to a disembodied voice?

That said, the narration either needs be to extremely well written and interesting or concise and to the point or both. I don't want a TSL-style narrator who drones on and on for ages about absolutely nothing. Josh Mandel is the only one who can get away with writing paragraph after paragraph of pun-filled prose about tiny, insignificant things in the background.
  • edited July 2011

That said, the narration either needs be to extremely well written and interesting or concise and to the point or both. I don't want a TSL-style narrator who drones on and on for ages about absolutely nothing.

I actually think Amy Kurylo is doing an outstanding job as narrator in TSL. She breaks the fourth wall a bit too much maybe, but the voice-acting is splendid.
    The Roger Wilco comments in the pawn shop had me laughing really hard though, hehe. More references like that certainly wouldn't hurt.
  • edited July 2011
    She's a decent narrator, but her dialogue is atrocious and quite un-King's Quest. It's more like Space Quest, really.
  • edited July 2011
    Really didn't enjoy her narrating work in TSL. It just didn't sound natural to me. The guy from AGDI's KQ games is terrific, however.

And on the main point - yes, I do think there should be a narrator. It wouldn't feel like a King's Quest game without one.
  • edited July 2011
    That would be John Bell. Very talented guy.
  • edited July 2011
    Totally agree on multiple modes of interaction -- a verb menu (or icons or pop-up "verb coin" or cursor-cycling; the UI/implementation doesn't matter so much) adds detail to the game-world and complexity to the gameplay. A single mode can work in some games, but most of the best adventures -- the most satisfying to play -- have more, at the very least a separate mode for "examine".

As for narration, I agree with MI, sporkman and Freeze -- I've seen only the first episode of TSL and didn't care for the narration at all, mostly due to the writing; the voice-acting wasn't bad but it didn't seem particularly special, either. I prefer the narration style in KQ 5/6 and the AGDI remakes.
  • edited July 2011
    As TSL has so clearly illustrated, a narrator is only as good as the dialog written for him/her. lol

As for multi-icon interface and "pointless" interactions--I don't think any fan would argue that they were really pointless. MI meant pointless from Telltale's point of view. As of BttF, Telltale's games have already devolved into mindless click-to-advance cutscenes, so doing almost ANYTHING that diverged from that model would be a good thing. I doubt they will, since they seem pretty much committed to transforming (read: destroying) the adventure game genre by turning their "games" into barely-interactive movies. But we shall see. It'd be harder to do WORSE than BttF from a game design standpoint, so I am cautiously optimistic that KQ will be better.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't think it would quite be a KQ game without one.
  • edited July 2011
    KQ7 didn't have one...did it? Actually, it's quite scary that KQ7 has most of the same game design aspects that meld well with Telltale's own current business model. Episodic/Chapter approach, retry deaths, single-action mouse interface, lack of narrator, exaggerated cartoon characters...it's a match made in hades. I hope they don't reference KQ7 for their KQ relaunch.

And I agree with the hope that KQ will be better. If BTTF was meant to cater to non-gamers because of what it represents, then it should likewise be the opposite for KQ; this game series is meant for adventure gamers more than any other as it was the one that launched the genre, for all intents and purposes.
  • edited July 2011
    That, in my opinion is the biggest problem. They can follow KQ7 to a tee and say, "we were true to the series." I hope not, but I can see them doing exactly that.
  • edited July 2011
    Although I agree that King's Quest VII was the low point in the series, I still think it has more gameplay than say, Back to the Future.

Regarding the topic: although I would love to see a narrator, I would be very surprised if Telltale was even considering it. Same goes for the icon interface.

For me, gameplay, story, and overall charm come first. A narrator and icons would be icing on the cake, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.
  • edited July 2011
    Daventry wrote: »
    Although I agree that King's Quest VII was the low point in the series, I still think it has more gameplay than say, Back to the Future.

Regarding the topic: although I would love to see a narrator, I would be very surprised if Telltale was even considering it. Same goes for the icon interface.

For me, gameplay, story, and overall charm come first. A narrator and icons would be icing on the cake, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Telltale isn't exactly known for "icing." A narrator would require extra work and time for coding in the narrations and actually writing them, so I'm hanging out on the side of "doubtful" for this one. I still think it's possible it may happen, but I won't hold my breath.
  • edited July 2011
    Daventry wrote: »

As Telltale uses a variety of literary and cinematic devices in their games' narratives, I could easily see them using a narrator for the exposition of the story. But that's a separate question from having a narrator describe each interaction with the game-world. While a narrator and icons, strictly speaking, might be just icing, I think that having multiple modes of interaction and feedback with every combination -- for the sake of both atmosphere and more complex puzzle-solving -- is fairly important to the King's Quest style of gameplay.
  • edited July 2011
    I think they need a narrator.

And since somebody already made a reference to it, I also think Telltale needs to dream bigger with these sort of franchises, at this point. If a narrator is icing, the ice away.
  • edited July 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    As Telltale uses a variety of literary and cinematic devices in their games' narratives, I could easily see them using a narrator for the exposition of the story.

Actually, the narrators in King's Quest games rarely provide a lot of introductory exposition. The intros to the games are usually very cinematic and and primarily driven by character dialogue. In King's Quest V and VI you don't hear the narrator at all until the actual gameplay has started and you have a chance to look around and interact with the environment.
  • edited July 2011
    Yes, but in the KQ6 intro the cinematic ends with the ship sinking underwater and the game title comes up. Once gameplay starts you wake up on a beach during the day with no idea how you got there or what's going on. That's different from say a cinematic which would show the transition of Alex washing up on shore and ending on a camera angle where the plank is to make the person look there as a point of interest. And even in KQ5, the introduction cinematic is fairly explanatory of what you must accomplish by the end of the game, but it doesn't tell you how to get there at all. You're basically on your own to figure out how to get past the snake, which is half the game right there!
  • edited July 2011
    Even Roberta in the end thought narrators were pointless and took from the player's ability to become the character. That was one of her reasons for removing them in her later games. I can't remember any games by her that had narrators in her KQ7, Phantasmagoria, and KQ8 years.
  • edited July 2011
    Valiento wrote: »
    Even Roberta in the end thought narrators were pointless and took from the player's ability to become the character. That was one of her reasons for removing them in her later games. I can't remember any games by her that had narrators in her KQ7, Phantasmagoria, and KQ8 years.

Yeah, but there is such a thing as over-developing a work of art. Sierra hit on a winning formula with KQ5, refined it a bit with KQ6, and then decided to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of keeping true to their "experimenting with the latest tech" roots. And then the series took a major dump and never recovered. The end. Roberta didn't know how to quit while she was ahead. Yet another reason why contacting Roberta was such an empty gesture.
  • edited July 2011
    Yes, but in the KQ6 intro the cinematic ends with the ship sinking underwater and the game title comes up. Once gameplay starts you wake up on a beach during the day with no idea how you got there or what's going on. That's different from say a cinematic which would show the transition of Alex washing up on shore and ending on a camera angle where the plank is to make the person look there as a point of interest. And even in KQ5, the introduction cinematic is fairly explanatory of what you must accomplish by the end of the game, but it doesn't tell you how to get there at all. You're basically on your own to figure out how to get past the snake, which is half the game right there!

Right. I wasn't arguing that there should be a lot of cinematics and exposition in a King's Quest game, I was just pointing out that what exposition there is usually comes from a dialogue-driven cinematic rather than narration. The narrator's job in a King's Quest game is to describe the game world and events as they take place during the gameplay, not to provide the backstory.
  • edited July 2011
    Right. I wasn't arguing that there should be a lot of cinematics and exposition in a King's Quest game, I was just pointing out that what exposition there is usually comes from a dialogue-driven cinematic rather than narration. The narrator's job in a King's Quest game is to describe the game world and events as they take place during the gameplay, not to provide the backstory.

Yeah, that's the way Sierra did it. Part of my point was that Telltale might not do it the same way. If they're not going to give us many points of interaction or the game-world and event descriptions that go along with them -- ie. if the game is like all their others with the single mode of interaction -- then I could see Telltale still keeping the narrator but giving him/her a different "job". I'm not saying that's a good thing, believe me. Just that I could see it going that way.
  • edited July 2011
    I can see where late sierra and ttg would say well the art is clear enough to not have to narrate everything because you can see it for yourself clear as day... But I like the narrator it adds the the playing a storybook vibe.

Also I never felt like WAS the kq character I always felt more like I was helping the character in a great story.... I do not need to feel like its me there.. Otherwise it would be a first person game.

I say make the effort get someone great with range to narrate I'm looking at you kid beyond.
  • edited July 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I can see where late sierra and ttg would say well the art is clear enough to not have to narrate everything because you can see it for yourself clear as day... But I like the narrator it adds the the playing a storybook vibe.

Also I never felt like WAS the kq character I always felt more like I was helping the character in a great story.... I do not need to feel like its me there.. Otherwise it would be a first person game.

I say make the effort get someone great with range to narrate I'm looking at you kid beyond.

This is exactly why I never bought that "narrations destroy your immersion in the character" garbage. Sierra tried to make that argument, and I never bought it then either. Sierra failed to understand that narrations are a design choice, and they have pros and cons just like any other design choice. They treated narrations like baggage to be dumped when they made KQ7. Good narrations make the game feel like a storybook being read to you, which is precisely the right fit for a fairytale series like KQ. Heck, Sierra even made the design choice to change the narration style from first person to third person voice in KQ5 and 6. There is no other reason to make that change unless you are shooting for the storybook feel.
  • edited July 2011
    I do think the narration adds a certain charm. I think that when you start taking elements like that out of KQ you start to take away things that made it unique.
  • edited July 2011
    Hm, tough question. While I never thought too much of the King's Quest narrator, I LOVED the Space Quest IV narrator, as I felt it added to the over-the-top cheesy sci-fi movie atmosphere that made me love the game. With that in mind, I can see how the narrator in King's Quest could give this sort of vibe of a storyteller reading a fairytale to a child, or something along the line of that, that could add to the atmosphere. So I guess a narrator is kind of important.

As for multiple icons, once again, hard for me to say. I wasn't a big fan of cycling through the icons in Kings Quest or Space Quest. It just felt a bit tedious having to cycle through several useless commands (seriously, how many times did you have to use the smell feature? Though some funny lines did come out of it) to find the one you want. I loved the system LucasArts used in Full Throttle though, when the icons came up after holding down the mouse button and you could quickly select what you wanted to do. I also liked typing what I wanted my character to do in the early Kings/Space Quest games, but that was hampered by the limited vocabulary of the games. Once again though, I'll say it would be more good than bad.
  • edited July 2011
    Pocketim wrote: »
    I loved the system LucasArts used in Full Throttle though, when the icons came up after holding down the mouse button and you could quickly select what you wanted to do.

This is what became the "verb coin" I mentioned above, because the pop-up looked like a coin in the later Curse of Monkey Island. I liked that FT/CoMI interface mechanism, too. :) (But I never really disliked any of the various means for choosing among verbs, the important thing was having multiple verbs in the first place.)
  • edited August 2011
    I think a narrator is important, but it should rather underline the story than become an entire character of its own. I am not entirely sure I enjoy the immense narration that takes place in TSL, but its great they chose a woman to narrate. I think the lady who plays the computer's voice in Star Trek Voyager would be fantastic for the official installment in the KQ series!
  • edited August 2011
    That lady is Majel Barret and she did the computer voice for most of TOS and all Star Treks that came after that. She also was Gene Roddenberry's wife (creator of Star Trek). She's also dead.
  • edited August 2011
    TSL's narrator has more in common with space quest than KQ, Graham and the narrator even talk to each other... Way to much 4th wall breaking stuff.

But it was worse than SQ because she drones on and on, nagging and nattering, at times insulting or condescending to the player (narrator in SQ usually just insulted Roger), and tries too hard to be funny. Gary Owens actually is funny. It all just comes off feeling forced.
  • edited August 2011
    TSL's narrating is definitely out of place. And over-explanatory. Nothing like KQ. And like you said, the humour doesn't even measure up to SQ. But it's just a fangame.
  • edited August 2011
    I feel bad for recommending a dead lady to be the narrator now. How about Betty White?
  • edited May 2012
    I always felt like the extensive narration in the CD-ROM KQ games was a leftover from the text adventure days, when the player had to EXAMINE every object available looking for clues. There were no visual or audio cues, and as the games were strictly text and turn-based there were no animation timing hints either. So any identifiable object would have a description written for it.

In the case of KQ V, it was pretty obvious that the text was written for popup windows and felt (IMO) longwinded when read aloud. The streamlining that has occurred in this area is welcome, in my book.

And I agree with those who felt narration was distancing once we entered the "talkie" era. I'd rather have the character give me his or her impressions firsthand, from the character's own perspective at this point in the story, than some mostly-omnisicient but occasionally oddly-limited narrator. I write for radio once in a while and I always have to remind myself, "Don't TELL the listener what's going on too much -- whenever possible, find a way to communicate through sound effects and dialogue."
  • edited May 2012
    I don't think the multiple interactions are needed, if there are other good qualities. like fun puzzles, or multiple endings. A narrator would be cool, but once again, not really needed.
  • edited May 2012
    Don't forget about Leisure Suit Larry 6 & 7. The narrator in those games gave description and mocked Larry as well. I really enjoyed the narrator in Love for Sail
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah the narrator in the Larry games provide opportunities to tell a joke that wouldn't make sense for the characters on screen to say...
  • edited May 2012
    I'd argue that the narrator in early KQ games was there to give the games more of the 'storybook' feel. If you read most fairytale, and the narrator is the one that tells you the story, and gives you background details related to characters, events and places...

If you remember KQ is inspired by the fairy tale storybook it makes absolute sense to have teh narrator in there for that reason. As long as it doens't get too long winded. It gives the game 'style' and a 'feel'. Something it kinda of lost in KQ7, and KQ8.
  • edited May 2012
    I think narration works best when it truly is narration -- setting up the story, or covering a transition handled offscreen, written and delivered as if by a storyteller (the Voodoo Lady in some chapters of TOMI handles this role nicely.) It can be very effective for framing an epic tale.

What I disliked was having an audible narrator describe objects visible onscreen -- these popup blurbs never felt like they flowed when read aloud, and they were usually much quicker to scan in text form. "An old lamp hangs on the line." "Another old lamp waits for a customer." "This old lamp is a fine-looking antique." "A rusty lamp looks just heavy enough to KILL ME NOW."

A lot of incidental details that a proper story would edit out or summarize were dragged kicking and screaming into the audiovisual era in KQ V and VI.
  • edited May 2012
    What I disliked was having an audible narrator describe objects visible onscreen -- these popup blurbs never felt like they flowed when read aloud, and they were usually much quicker to scan in text form. "An old lamp hangs on the line." "Another old lamp waits for a customer." "This old lamp is a fine-looking antique." "A rusty lamp looks just heavy enough to KILL ME NOW."

The point of narration I think is to get you immersed in the story, which they did splendidly in KQ6 in particular. Narration can't be bland, generic or unimaginative. The narrator in KQ6 does a great job of describing the important objects which are needed to advance the story, but he also describes unimportant objects in a way I think is entertaining.

For example if you look at a rock on the Isle of Crowns: "Rocks abound on this mystical island."
    Or if you try to talk to a rock: "The rocks remain silent, as they have been for ages untold."

The seriousness and objectivity with which the narrator says these things always makes me smile :)
    John Bell in the KQ redux games is also a dear favorite of mine, some of his comments are questionable but he never really broke the fourth wall.
    A narrator in a KQ game has to be detached from the actual story, only recounting the events that take place in the game without being involved in the story itself.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.