Question regarding Doc and Edna from ep 3.

How come both Doc and Edna not have kids? If they where truly madly in love with each other from the 30's to the 80's don't you think they would have had children along the line? Discuss.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    You truly think that Edna, the no nonsense, hooligan hating, batshit crazy young woman, would actually want to have kids? I would imagine that Doc might have brought the idea up a few times but since Edna appears to wear the pants in the relationship, she shot him down.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm sure it's because Telltale didn't want to have any moral ambiguity in their game tied into erasing these kids' lives from history. After all, they might be LIKABLE and you might have some sort of EMOTIONAL CONNECTION to the universe and the changes you make rather than putting on some nostalgia goggles plus massive blinders, and that just wouldn't be right.
  • edited July 2011
    Was it stated they don't have kids? If not, it's still a possibility. Any kids of theirs would be all grown up and living their own lives by 1986, wouldn't they?
  • edited July 2011
    Cubbie wrote: »
    Was it stated they don't have kids? If not, it's still a possibility. Any kids of theirs would be all grown up and living their own lives by 1986, wouldn't they?
    My guess is that, if they did have children, First Citizen Brown would express at least SOME concern over erasing the existence of his children(from his perspective, his ONLY children) that he raised to adulthood. It's not like "Oh right, I have kids that could be KILLED by this thing I'm doing" is an AFTERTHOUGHT.
  • Cubbie wrote: »

I think how delighted he gets at the beginning of episode 4 over the revelation he had children in the other timeline would likely imply he does not in this timeline
    My guess is that, if they did have children, First Citizen Brown would express at least SOME concern over erasing the existence of his children(from his perspective, his ONLY children) that he raised to adulthood. It's not like "Oh right, I have kids that could be KILLED by this thing I'm doing" is an AFTERTHOUGHT.

You're probably right. It was one thing to bring in biff tannens brothers and then erase them but go and ask anyone who has children from a failed relationship/marriage if they wish they never married/got with that person whom pareneted their children and I doubt many would say yes.
  • edited July 2011
    I think how delighted he gets at the beginning of episode 4 over the revelation he had children in the other timeline would likely imply he does not in this timeline

You're probably right. It was one thing to bring in biff tannens brothers and then erase them but go and ask anyone who has children from a failed relationship/marriage if they wish they never married/got with that person whom pareneted their children and I doubt many would say yes.

I think the Game introduced an interesting ethical dilemma with regards to erasing/creating people across different timelines.

Despite all the timeline changes in the movies, no one actually got completely erased from existence (as in, from birth onwards)...yeah, Marty was about to in BTTF1 but it didn't really happen. Despite all the changes he makes to his family's history, Dave, Linda and himself are all born, and all the people who existed in the original timeline also exist in the new one. This even holds true in the drastically altered 1985-A.

The only case of new people being created through time travel are Jules and Verne, right at the end of the series.

Whereas...with the game, they have people being erased from existence...intentionally...Biff's brothers are created and then 'destroyed' by Marty and Doc's actions, Jules and Verne are erased in the FCB timeline and then 'recreated' in the final timeline at the end of the game...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.