Who wants a 'score system'?

edited July 2011 in Kings Quest Game
So most of the KQ games, even MOE had point systems (6631364 total points, for the most points in a KQ game!). The only exception to the series was KQ7.

Most games gave you the points out of total as went through the game, KQ8 only showed you the points out of total once you finished the game.

Do you want a point system in the new game?

Btw, I seriously would love to see a point list for MOE. ;)

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Yeah, that'd be great, and very easy to implement.
  • edited July 2011
    I'd say no, but since I've already advocated a "no dead ends" policy in which alternative methods could be used in exchange for a lesser score, then I am bound to say yes.
  • edited July 2011
    Sure. If something like a score value is "too hardcore" then maybe something that reflects the same type of "completeness meter".
  • edited July 2011
    kQ7 had a completeness meter didn't it? Showing you how much progress between chapters? Or was that only in version 2.0 or better?
  • edited July 2011
    When I say a "completeness meter" I mean something that doesn't just track your progress but gauges how well you're playing the game vs how best to play it. A progress bar is nothing more than that...a progress bar. What I meant was that if numbers are too oldschool for people as a score system, then something other than numbers (but which still shows the difference between the best solutions vs not-so-best solutions) may be welcome.
  • edited July 2011
    What if at the end it hinted at the puzzles you could have done better on?
  • edited July 2011
    So are you talking about something along the lines of the IQ (Indy Quotient) system in the two Indy Graphical Adventures (especially in Fate of Atlantis)? That gives you a score for various actions and choices based on more intelligent approach, neutral approach, or more action approach to solving puzzles?

There was no 'perfect' score essentially, just different ways to get to the end.

Or maybe something along the lines of the light/darkness meters in many of the Bioware games (but in this case, it wouldn't lead to evil or good endings?). So it gives the player an indication which direction their puzzle solving choices are going, but there is no right or wrong way to play the game?

Granted that might go against the grain where the older KQ games punished you for making poor/negative choices, as opposed the more rightous choices.

Personally I'd rather have the old school point system for nostalgia sake, its very Sierra, very King's Quest.

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but the lack of a point system (the replacement with the progress bar was a poor substitute) was one of several things left out of/changed by KQ7, that made it feel more detached from the previous games to me.
  • edited July 2011
    No, I'm definitely talking about preserving the differences between poor/negative choices and the best choices.
  • edited July 2011
    Well if the game goes up on steam which it inevitably will, I'd say achievements would be a great way to implement a scoring system.
    However, it could never get into enough detail that a number score could.
    So err, I'm undecided. If a number score is used, than great! But if an achievement type score is used, I'd still be happy with that.
    But in saying that, I've never played a TT game through Steam except for PNatI, so. I vote for good ol' numbers.
  • edited July 2011
    Getting 'full points' should give one of achievements. Why have one system or the other, why not both?
  • edited July 2011
    I don't think any of Telltale's adventure games have achievements on Steam? They've had some on PSN, but I'm not sure about anywhere else.

Anyway, it's difficult for me to think about a points system independently of what to me is a more important issue: What, if anything, is Telltale going to do to make this game more challenging than their usual fare, for those old-school players who relished KQ games in part because they were challenging.

Alternative puzzle solutions in which only one is optimal is a good way to increase a game's difficulty, but it's not something Telltale has done much (if at all?) in their past games. So I would say if they're going to design KQ with alternate solutions, they ought to just go ahead and include a points system like the old games. Another thing that can be done to add difficulty is optional sections or puzzles. In that case either a points system or achievements would work for keeping track.

The thing about achievements, though, is that sometimes they're just silly and don't add anything substantial to a game. While this is fun for some games, I'm not sure it would be appropriate for King's Quest. "Ring the Elves' doorbell three times and hide." I mean, yuck. Adding silly achievements to an easy KQ game would be insulting. A points systems could be perverted for such silliness as well, so I would only vote in favor of one if it was being used in support of a challenging game.
  • edited July 2011
    Achievements are pointless optional bonus activities one can perform in a game. A score system should encourage the player to play better and explore and interact with more of the world. They shouldn't be interchangeable.
  • edited July 2011
    The problem is that the old Sierra score system sort of rewarded you for doing things in the best possible way, or doing things you didn't -have- to do. I can't think of a whole lot of similarities in most Telltale games. How many TTG puzzles have more then one solution? How many episodes had something totally optional to find or do? I think the entirety of Back to the Future had "algae cakes" as the only optional thing.
  • edited July 2011
    Kinda depends on the Sierra game, most of the early ones had dead ends, poor choices, ways of losing points for using items improperly/losing items.

Some of the later stuff had points but less of the optional solutions. Most Sierra IPs maintained the point systems to their last games, space quest 6, Gabriel knight 3, and iirc even QFG 5.

As mentioned even KQ8 used a variation of the point system, though it's unclear how many points you earn for various actions.

GK2 and GK3 didn't so much have optional puzzle solutions, rather if was possible to miss clues or cutscenes if you weren't at the right place at the right time.

But in general point system was part of the whole Sierra game experience. To lose it would be to lose much of what being a Sierra game was meant to be.

There are very few examples of Sierra games that didn't have some variation on the Sierra point system (actually I think the point system goes back to Infocom's text adventures). KQ7 and Phantasmagoria off the top of my head. The latter had some major optional stuff without any indication that a more extended solution to the final chapter exists!p
  • edited July 2011
    Achievements are pointless optional bonus activities one can perform in a game. A score system should encourage the player to play better and explore and interact with more of the world. They shouldn't be interchangeable.

What is the difference between doing all achievements and getting maximum score, if the achievements are done right?

I liked the system in StrongBad. It also had kind of a score system rewarding players with trophies and bonus costumes.
  • edited July 2011
    I just described the difference. If you didn't get full points in an old Sierra adventure game it was like you didn't really complete the whole game. Achievements are just stupid little add-on things to perform that have nothing to do with the story in any way to cater to people who like to show off their list of trophies and accomplishments.
  • edited July 2011
    I think kq needs the point system. SQ6 and LSL 7 (released around the same time) had it and it made the games more likely to be replayed.
  • edited July 2011
    I would LOVE a Score System! :D
  • edited July 2011
    I would say that a score system is necessary for a "real" KQ game, i.e. one in the vein of KQ1-6, but not so much if TTG makes a game more like their previous offerings. As has been said, the point of the scoring system was to indicate good actions where there was more than one possibility. In most TTG games, there is only one solution. So yeah, it would be cool if they had one, but it would also be superfluous unless there were less-than ideal solutions, or actions that were simply mistakes.
  • edited July 2011
    It's also a good replay-motivator
  • edited July 2011
    LLo everyone.

you guys easily pointed out the most essential element of those adventures and what made em so different from Lucas' ones, because the possibility of errors and deaths(not so much the score itself then) came from text adventures, arcade games, and very probably pen&paper rpgs.

I don't know, we should ask Ken & Roberta, or maybe even someone else, on how they came up with this little gameplay mechanic, i'd really love to know, actually!

Anyway here's my 2 cents: if TTG don't use this mechanic their game won't be a KQ one. If they use it, they should probably make it more accessible, but it takes tremendously careful design skill not to ruin its key feel and the challenge, which is as you said, "the best solution Vs the best one YOU can come up with" among a pool of possible actions(many leading to death). In my opinion they should preserve it as it is(if they but touch it in anyway the balance of challenge WILL collapse like a castle of toothpicks) but create a flashback support system, that'd let the player know something in the past was done wrong, and it just takes you directly there to patch things up.

And for god sake, do NOT let players know the "existance" of the system, this mechanic must be hidden inside the game, not goofily revealed as a "thing", more than often when programmers recycle a mechanic it tends to stick out horrendously. BLEND it with the whole game, that's a type of PURITY that's lost in today's games.
  • edited July 2011
    Even the point system in the Sierra form goes back to Infocom text adventures maybe even Colossal Cave. I remember it being in the Zork series.

It's definitely a huge part of Sierra games, but Sierra didn't invent it.

On a related note a system like KQ1VGA Enhanced which offers a classic or no dead end mode might be a great idea! It would allow players to play the game the way they want, and less complaints from both types of players!
  • edited July 2011
    The score system sounds like a lot of fun, and not just for reasons of tradition or nostalgia (which is probably what fuels this entire forum). It gives the game instant replayability and opens up opportunities to provide multiple solutions to problems, as previously mentioned.

I guess it really comes down to this: how much does TTG want to pay homage to Sierra's legacy? By reaching out to Roberta, it's clear that they are planning to remain true to the spirit... so we'll see how that translates in gameplay.
  • edited July 2011
    I was just looking over one of the old Zork games, Zork I, and noticed that Infocom not only had the classic score system (0 of 350). But there was also a ranking system, apparently based on the number of moves and score made in the game! You start with a rank of Beginnner for example.

Have your moves tracked might be kinda cool too!

Nostalgia's calling, and I think it would be great to see a resurrection of the classic zork adventure game. The Zork MMO doesn't really count (though it does try to bring in some of the classic text adventure feel).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.