foreshadowing within the game (spoilers)

to those who are replaying the game!

What hidden foreshadows have you noticed?

episode 1: when in ednas apartment, there's plenty; it indicates the hill valley herald originated in 1871 (which becomes important in episode 5)
also the newspapers marty looks through foreshadows events we eventually see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArelQgn8IQM&feature=related

"singer vanishes... hill valley expo delights crowd....soup kitchen exposed"

also Danny is seen at least twice in the first episode (he's chasing kid at first and he does walk out of the jail)

Comments

• edited July 2011
    to those who are replaying the game!

What hidden foreshadows have you noticed?

episode 1: when in ednas apartment, there's plenty; it indicates the hill valley herald originated in 1871 (which becomes important in episode 5)
    also the newspapers marty looks through foreshadows events we eventually see
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArelQgn8IQM&feature=related

"singer vanishes... hill valley expo delights crowd....soup kitchen exposed"

also Danny is seen at least twice in the first episode (he's chasing kid at first and he does walk out of the jail)

I think the strongest foreshadowing was Doc disappearing at the mall in the dream sequence...
  • edited July 2011
    Easiest bit of foreshadowing, but also hardest to spot is also in Edna's apartment. She'd been reading George Orwell's 1981, a book about a dystopian future under strict regulatory rule.
  • edited July 2011
    "You've gotten my history out of order! Do you know how long it will take to fix what you've done?" < -- one of my favorite forshadowing lines in the game.
  • edited July 2011
    daeva0123 wrote: »
    "You've gotten my history out of order! Do you know how long it will take to fix what you've done?" < -- one of my favorite forshadowing lines in the game.

Boy isn't that the truth.
  • edited July 2011
    Having played through the entire game now, a lot of what '86 Edna and a lot of other people in game say in Episode 1 makes a lot of sense now. It's also funny to see what they says that foreshadows the content of future episodes.

I thought it was funny when Edna said, "Sit down, Sonny" upon entering her apartment, seeing as Sonny Crockett was my alias in 1931.

Also, 1986 and 1931 are 55 years apart. Coincidence? No. >_>

"You got my history out of order! Do you know how long it's going to take for me to put this back together?" - alternate timelines.

Anyone else find interesting things to note? I just got to 1931, so I'll edit this thread accordingly.
  • edited July 2011
    I think you're looking for this thread but yes, the foreshadowing is certainly interesting to note. As someone said, disappearing Doc in the dream sequence was a big one.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    I think you're looking for this thread

The two threads have now joined hands to skip happily away into the sunset. Thanks :)
  • church1138 wrote: »

Also, 1986 and 1931 are 55 years apart. Coincidence? No. >_>

Anyone else find interesting things to note? I just got to 1931, so I'll edit this thread accordingly.

I'm not sure what you mean by coincidence? They needed to set it in a time period to be able to have arthur working for kid during prohibition so early 30's makes the most sense. I guess it somewhat becomes ironic late in the game; reason being edna ends up in 1876 which is 55 years prior to 1931 making her the same age in 1931 in the time displaced timeline as she's supposed to be in the normal timelines.

And if anyone is wondering why i am doing this; i played through all the episodes on the PC, i just purchased the game on the PS3 and am playing through them again (I'm about halfway through episode 1, just finished the soup kitchen sequence, about to serve arthur mcfly with the subpoena). Having already played the game, i'm specifically looking for things I wouldnt have noticed the first time around.
  • edited July 2011
    That's what I'm doing.

Off T: Also, thanks puzzlebox, for being a good moderator and correcting me when I don't have the patience to look. <3

Back On Topic:

Re: 55 year gap.

I mean, it's not coincidental at all, in my opinion. I think they got the era that they wanted (Prohibition) and then decided to tie it in with a nice nod to the movies again. xP

More on this in a little bit.
  • I gave a little thought as to why 1931 was the specific year chosen. Keeping in mind that they wanted to have george and biffs parents and Emmett being the same age as marty (docs age is not shown in the films).

The movies like round numbers; george, marty, and mary jr are all 30 years apart in age and biff seems to be around 60 years older than griff. 1926 probably would have been slightly early as they needed to have arthur working for kid. Moving their birthdates up would have made it slightly less realistic; rare for people to be having children into their late 30's at the time. 1936 would have worked from a character perspective (mind you that would make doc around 37 in 1955 and he does look older than that) but prohibition had already ended by then. Also that would have probably meant that in epsiode 5 edna would have to take the delorean to 1886.

Althouigh it's never stated in the game, I think the fact that they picked the year right in the middle of the great depression (1929-1933) may have been a somewhat important character supblot; most people correctly point out that george is a wimp for backing down from his tannen counterpart in fear of beating up while seamus is not as buford tannen is a murder. Arthur letting himself being bullied by Kid is a hybrid of the two; 1931 was not the old west anymore where Tannens can draw guns at county fair. But Kid was Arthurs job and in 1931 it wasn't easy to quit a job you are not happy about it and get a new one.
  • In episode 2 Edna indicates she wants the pieces on the clocktower changed. And we do see by episode 4 (which is approximately 2 months later) they have been.
  • not sure if this is foreshadowing but when the speakeasy arsonist is brought up in episodes 1-4, edna definitely seems defensive especially in episode 4 when Marty says Carl Sagan knows who it is.
  • edited August 2011
    I like the bit where George mentions his father not having understood going out on a limb for someone. Because Artie does learn to do this for Marty and Doc early on and later for Trixie when she gets fired thanks to Edna's s*** stirring.

Also the other stuff like;

The Frankenstein poster in marty's room.

The Beef Stew in docs lab.

The Fishtank and Electrode equipment.

Oh and of course the Carl Sagan quote on the tv.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm pretty sure "Out on a limb" was just a BttF 1 gag.
  • I'm pretty sure "Out on a limb" was just a BttF 1 gag.

No the point is like George, Artie has confidence issues in the original timeline and is afraid to stand up for what he believes he's right. George gains the confidence once marty goes back in time to 1955 to stand up to Biff and likewise Artie stands up to Kid for the first time in 1931 and becomes a town hero. George is likely a wuss due to his father being afraid to stand up for himself.
  • edited August 2011
    Though you can still see it as a BttF1 gag...
  • edited February 2013
    It happens in episode 2 right after Biff and his brothers gets zapped.

Kid Tannon: I don't know why I let that floozy talk me out of killing your grandfather.

This is confusing because Trixie didn't talk Kid out of killing Arthur until after Marty goes back in time to stop the Tannen Crime Family from happening.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It happens in episode 2 right after Biff and his brothers gets zapped.

Kid Tannon: I don't know why I let that floozy talk me out of killing your grandfather.

This is confusing because Trixie didn't talk Kid out of killing Arthur until after Marty goes back in time to stop the Tannen Crime Family from happening.
    Artie survived a long time working with Kid, despite Kid pretty much despising Artie (Kid treats him like crap when Marty first meets Artie in the soup kitchen). It's likely that the time in the alley wasn't the only time she ever talked Kid out of killing him (her extreme reaction in the alley can be taken from the fact that she was going to actually see Kid kill Artie rather than idle threats).
  • edited March 2013
    Easiest bit of foreshadowing, but also hardest to spot is also in Edna's apartment.
  • church1138 wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing.

Off T: Also, thanks puzzlebox, for being a good moderator and correcting me when I don't have the patience to look. <3

Back On Topic:

Re: 55 year gap.

I mean, it's not coincidental at all, in my opinion. I think they got the era that they wanted (Prohibition) and then decided to tie it in with a nice nod to the movies again. xP

More on this in a little bit.

Oh I think I get it now; 55 as in 1955
Sign in to comment in this discussion.