Found deep within the bowels: City Streets 2.0... 1.0 [now with bonus BoscoTech]

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited August 2011 in Sam & Max
Random thing found in my iTunes library: The original scratch track from "City Streets 2.0," the retro gaming cover of the Streets theme, as used in Episode 105, Reality 2.0.

The original arrangements of those cues, the music which plays within Reality 2.0, were a lot more rough, intending to sound more like they came straight off old hardware -- they were almost straight ports of the original scene music over to a chiptune sample bank, so notes hold over each other for too long and sound grossly discordant at times. It reminds me of early adventure games which tried to use the PC speaker for way overly orchestrated sounding stuff. (In the final deliveries, the music was smoothed over and made to sound more like a stylized version of retro game music which fit in a little more with the main game's soundtrack.) The original version is pretty grating to listen to at times (which is largely why it got more stylized in the full game) but is also fun at the same time for obvious reasons.

[url]http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/CityStreets 20_10.mp3[/url]

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    Random thing found in my iTunes library: The original scratch track from "City Streets 2.0," the retro gaming cover of the Streets theme, as used in Episode 105, Reality 2.0.

The original arrangements of those cues, within Reality 2.0, were a lot more straight retro flavored. They were almost straight ports of the original scene music over to a chiptune sample bank, so notes hold over each other for too long and sound grossly discordant at times. It reminds me of early adventure games which tried to use the PC speaker for way overly orchestrated sounding stuff. It's pretty grating to listen to at times (which is why it got more stylized in the full game) but is a fun listen.

[url]http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/CityStreets 20_10.mp3[/url]

Jake this an awesome find, THANK YOU!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2011
    This one's an m4a file sadly, but I also have an early BoscoTech 2.0 scratch track:

http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/BoscoTech%2020_10.mp3
  • edited August 2011
    awesome! do you have sybil's office 2.0 scratch track?
  • edited August 2011
    Wow, that is... kinda annoying, actually.
    Nice find though, thanks for sharing.
  • edited August 2011
    Well this surely was interesting
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2011
    That first track was exactly like having my eardrums fed through a rusty combine harvester, soothed with a balm of chippy awesome around 00:32, then jumped on repeatedly by a large hairy man in stilettos.
  • edited August 2011
    For the first 30 seconds I was all 'Woah, this is pretty snazzy!' but.. it gets very headachey very quickly. Very cool though!
    edited August 2011
    Hero1 wrote: »
    awesome! do you have sybil's office 2.0 scratch track?

I think only the bosco and street tracks were done, as tests.

Speaking of, I found an [url=http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/BoscoTech 20_10.mp3]earlier version of the BoscoTech track[/url], which more closely matches the street track.
  • edited August 2011
    Hey Jake is it possible for you to check your files for the "World of Max" Instrumental Variant used on the Season 2 DVD menu?
    edited August 2011
    That isn't a full track; Jared never did a full instrumental arrangemen of that whole piece. The track on the menu is actually lifted from a cutscene in Bright Side of the Moon -- the opening cutscene in fact. It may be on the season one soundtrack ...
  • edited August 2011
    Ohh, interesting to know, I'll check out the CD.
  • edited August 2011
    Haha, that's brilliant. Making it sound like the music in the old Sierra games.

Reality 2.0 was probably the best episode music-wise (though I think every episode's great in that regard).
  • edited August 2011
    I can see why it was changed. Ouch.

Still; finds are always welcome, obviously!
    Especially unlock code for specs *wink wink*
  • edited August 2011
    It might be the fact that I did NOT grow up with these videogames and the nostalgia factor is lost on me, but I really do think Reality 2.0's music is the weakest of the whole series soundtracks. It's grating, it's irritating, and too repetitive and cringe-inducing.

Or maybe it's because the rest of the soundtracks are so brilliant I am judging unfairly.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.