POLL: Which is your favorite Episode so far? and Why?

edited June 2007 in Sam & Max
Which is your favorate Episode so far? and Why?

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Here's my take on the season so far, using episode 1 as a starting point:
    Episode 2 did a number of things right, but its shortness and not-done-yet facial animations make it stand below episode 1 in my rating.
    Episode 3 was even shorter and easier than episode 2, but was funnier and had better flavor and topic-choice, not to mention the improved animations (that look on Max' face right after Sam says "no we haven't realized that yet" is pure comedy gold). I say it ties with episode 1.
    Episode 4 was better than 3 in every way, with sheer length being one of most notable differences.
    But I think episode 5 is the best. While a bit shorter than 4, it makes up for it in a variety of ways, especially by having a number of brilliant references and bringing back a lot of fine memories.
  • edited April 2007
    I picked Episode 2, I like Situation Comedy because it's pretty slick, everything fits together nicely, pretty well designed. My 2nd favorate would be Reality 2.0, although Reality 2.0 was pretty easy for me, and I finished it without getting stuck at all, the whole atmosphere was pretty awesome. :D
  • edited April 2007
    I'm pretty evenly split between 5,4, & 2, but I picked 5 in the poll.

I loved Situation: Comedy because of the show spoofs and the view change when you start the filming. I also liked the fact that the earlier music puzzle solution provided the solution for the final puzzle.

Abe Lincoln Must Die was great because the money puzzles kept you moving back and forth and it had a great song and dance number.:D Not to mention the fact that the car chase segment wasn't about maneuvering or shooting something, it was just simple, but once again the solution had you traveling to the different locations for each piece of the puzzle.

Reality 2.0, my pick simply because I tossed a coin:p , was another big pick because of the MMO theme and video game and internet jokes. The car section, while still playing into the formula of the games so far still managed to break out of the chase formula as well. The money laundering puzzle was fun to.

So R2 was my pick but the entire series has come to be one of my all time favorite games. Even if the episodes followed the exact same formula every time out I would still come back for more simply because the jokes and the writing crack me up everytime, even after repeated plays.
  • edited April 2007
    I vote "Abe Lincon must die", because it felt like it really as well could have been done by the old Lucasart, and to play something that good felt like a great pleasure.

Reality 2.0 was almost as good, but it was just something that didn't feel as great as ep.4, not that it was something bad about it in any way, but it's just that every episode can't be the best one.

Episode 1-3 felt a little bit so-so.
    Dont get me wrong, they were really great and awsome at most points, but they just didn't feel as organized (or maybe TO organized (the "three tasks"-thingie kept coming up a little bit to often)) as the latest two.
  • edited April 2007
    Episode 4 is probably my favorite, it had the most "LMAO" moments for me.

Reality 2.0 second, because I know the bugs were random chance, and I loved the look and gamer-oriented jokes. (Plus, it felt more like a classic adventure)

Situation: Comedy third, because it had the best secondary characters.

Mole/Mob/Meatball fourth, it just didn't have any stand-out moments aside from the death speech and song.

Culture Shock last, because it's the least optimized for low RAM, making it a bit of a chore for me.
  • edited April 2007
    I have to say Episode 1, because it's the episode with the most replay value. Also, the jokes are the kind of jokes I can hear again and again without growing sick of them(just like the jokes in Hit the road). Also, I love the soda poppers song!

Then episode 4, since this episode was really funny, but the second time I played through this episode I realized the jokes aren't the kind I can laugh of again and again.

Then episode 3, since I loved the mafia jokes, and this episode is rather funny, even though a bit less funny than abe lincoln must die. I especially loved the introduction of a mini game, and the No mafia song. But it also was fun to play around with Leonard.

Then episode 5, since it's not as funny as episode 1 and 3-4, but it's quite creative. Also, the flashbacks it gave me made the episode quite enjoyable(especially great to hear the c64 style of music). All together, not a bad episode, but since I value humour so much and since I haven't used all of those old machines, I have to say that I am a little too young to be able to give it a higher rating(since I didn't get some of the jokes.

Episode 2 was... alright... but it felt quite standard. It felt like I was supposed to do something rather simple, but everytime I thought "now I can do it" I found out I had to do this or that before I could do what I wanted to do(usually get in and save the day at Myras show). It kind of felt like the episode was working against me - trying to force me to spend more time than needed to finish the episode. Also, I didn't find the soda poppers in this episode funny. They just said and acted the same way they did in the first episode, just now I couldn't knock them out ;) They were really funny in Abe Lincoln must die, though. I don't know this for sure, but it just seems like episode 2 was made in more of a haste than the other episodes.
  • edited April 2007
    for me it was a tossup between abe lincoln, and reality 2.0..... because these two episodes were the longest, the hardest, and the funniest so far....

but i picked episode 5, because of its open "non-linear" feel to its gameplay..... in episode 4 it felt like you were working on the puzzle that the game wanted you to solve..... but in episode 5 you were free to pick and choose which puzzle you wanted to work on, but dont get me wrong.... i still like the setup of episode 4, because its puzzles were the hardest in the season thus far.... but i like the different feeling that episode 5 gives because it is so open (but i do not want every episode to be like this)

some episodes work better with a free setup, (episodes 2,3,5) and some work better in a linear setup (episodes 1, and 4) and i like the fact that they change up the setup of the episodes because each game type is fun in its own way..... linear episodes are good for telling a progressing story (and i love a good story), while open episodes have more replay value to them because you want to go through the game in every way possible (i also love a game with replay value)

i hope that episode 6/ season 2 has more of a mix between these two game types....... have some episodes all linear, have some of them all open, and have the rest be a mix of linear and open gameplay in a single episode
  • MelMel
    edited April 2007
    I don't know. I hate picking a favorite because I imagine the other episodes sitting off to the side with a dejected look on their face while tears slowly build up. :(

They've all pleased me for their own reasons and I like that they've each had something different that made them special*.

*Sorry, I'm in one of those reflective moods today.
  • edited April 2007
    its between episodes 4 and 5 for me.. they really were a touch above the rest even though I loved culture shock.. I gotta go with abe lincoln must die.. it was consistently funny throughout the entire episode.. the puzzles were quite clever and it looked great. Episode 5 was great, very creative and extremely well made. Episode 1 i'd rank next..then episode 3..then 2
  • edited April 2007
    Reality 2.0 for me, definitely! Most creative story so far and a lot of combination work to solve it. I liked to idea of having to switch between VR and "regular" reality. Last but not least, the hilarious conversations and the great ending as
    a text adventure, marvelous!
  • edited April 2007
    I picked episode 4 because that particular storyline seemed to suit the individual characters of Sam and Max best, it felt like this "was" what Sam and Max is all about, crazy shenanigans at an epic scale, it could have come from the comics. Everything else was done well in the episode as well which is why its at the top. Reality 2.0 would be a good second though. 3 wasn't as good, but it's okay, they've made up for it and then some, so I'm over that.
  • edited April 2007
    It'd be a close call between Abe Lincoln must Die and Reality 2.0 for me.

Both were great, but with me not having any idea about American politics (I had to Wikipedia Nader >_<), I felt like half the jokes went over my head a bit, but with Reality 2.0 I felt like I could relate to the jokes better.
  • edited April 2007
    This poll will be better and more meaningful a month from now, but I pick 5. 4 may be slightly funnier and longer, but 5 is just non-stop fun and creativity. There's also a lot to do and the puzzles are pretty diverse. There's more doing stuff than talking about stuff, which may be part of why it really feels "adventurous", which is obviously a good thing for adventure games. I think it captures that feeling better than any of the others so far. There's more exploration and more of a sense of danger (that final confrontation was honestly pretty scary).
  • edited April 2007
    Episode 5 is my favorite because I relate to it best, and because I think it's the highest quality episode. I think Episode 4 is nearly as good, but #5 is slightly better. :)
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Abe Lincoln Must Die! is my favorite so far. If for nothing else other than the war song. That scene was one of the very few times that a game actually made me laugh out loud.
  • edited April 2007
    Its hard to chosse between 4 & 5 so i picked 5.

All the pop References and The C.O.P.S. esp. when you use the Bug on The Arcade Machine the first time. I Feel... pretty and witty and gaaaaaaay... I split my sides laugthing
  • edited April 2007
    Ep 4 is the funniest for me so it gets my vote, probably cos I'm more political than geek.
  • edited April 2007
    Episode 4 due to the excellent music, superb sense of humor, off-the-wall plot, Agent Snowball and, lastly, the puzzles requiring a tad more brain power.
  • edited April 2007
    I'm just playing through the games now... Just done 2... And I can't see why it gets so much kudos; It has far too much trial and error.

How are you supposed to know its Ketchup Cake Whizzer want's without just trying everything ??

Working out the final puzzle was just pure trial and error as you had to see where the microphone moved with each choice.

Number one was very good except the spray paint was a little too hard to find.
  • edited April 2007
    How are you supposed to know its Ketchup Cake Whizzer want's without just trying everything ??
    It was his birthday, he couldn't stand tomatos (clever fellow that Whizzer kiddo).
    The only way to get him not to vote for his brother, was to get rid of him.
    seems pretty obvious to me... :p

I really think that it was way to many hints in those earlier episodes, which kind'a made them less enjoyable. But otherwise they were just fine.

Wait... I've already voted in this poll? Dammit! :D
  • edited April 2007
    I'm just playing through the games now... Just done 2... And I can't see why it gets so much kudos; It has far too much trial and error.

Working out the final puzzle was just pure trial and error as you had to see where the microphone moved with each choice.

Number one was very good except the spray paint was a little too hard to find.

My point of view (not to mention "adventure game technique") is ever-so-slightly different to yours. /sarcasm
  • edited April 2007
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    It was his birthday, he couldn't stand tomatos (clever fellow that Whizzer kiddo).
    The only way to get him not to vote for his brother, was to get rid of him.
    seems pretty obvious to me... :p

True, but this puzzle was rather illogical. I first
    tried to get the ketchup in a cup, so I could bring it back to the kitchen and make the cake with the ketchup inside it
    . But that didn't work... so then I tried
    finding tomatos to get them inside the cake
    . I thought that:
    if the ketchup is on top, he will for sure notice it
    . In the end I had to look up a hint, and I found out that exactly what I had been trying to do all along(
    get ketchup on/in the cake
    ) was the solution, but that it had to be done in a certain way for it to work. I found that puzzle rather frustrating.

That's the kind of puzzle ther should be more than one solution for... because there are more than one way to do that(at least in real life).
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, with the general food quality at Bosco's I was pretty convinced
    that his ketchup would be the last place you'd find any traces of real tomato
    . So for a long time I just
    tried to get at the irritating part of tomato by trying to combine random ingredients
    . This was one annoying puzzle.
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, true... They could maybe have done that puzzle a little bit more convenient. (two way solutions perhaps)

Guess that maybe I just got lucky. :p
  • edited April 2007
    My favourite are the last two. If they were correctly combined, the next season could rock your freakin' socks off.

"Abe Lincoln Must Die" was cool because it was targeted at more adult audiences, so it ended up having some pretty spicy humor. That's awesome.

"Reality 2.0" finally managed to deliver the good old deadpan that we're all used to from all sam & max material, incl. the old lucasarts game, the comics and actually even the show. A perfect example of that is when you click on Jesse James' hand in this episode.
    "Jesse James' actual severed hand. Amazing!"
    "But the guy at the market said-"
    "AMAZING."

If the series will continue with the deadpan humor it delivered in Reality 2.0, I won't even have to think twice about being a season 2 customer.
  • edited April 2007
    I don't understand why not more rate Episode 3 higher. That episode was such a hillarious parody of everything from The Godfather and all such mafia movies with a funny twist :D.

But then again, I am known for loving the stuff others doesn't seem to like that much(this happens in many areas of my life, not just computer games :)), so maybe it's just me ;)
  • edited April 2007
    I voted for Ep3 :P

But that had not really something to do with the puzzles. ;)
  • edited April 2007
    abe lincoln must die! is kicking ass :)
  • edited April 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    abe lincoln must die! is kicking ass :)

I thought you would have voted for Reality 2.0 now that you're a celebrity and all that because of said episode. Are you going to appear on Myra any time soon?
  • edited April 2007
    e5 because i felt some soul...
  • edited April 2007
    MrSneeze wrote: »
    I thought you would have voted for Reality 2.0 now that you're a celebrity and all that because of said episode. Are you going to appear on Myra any time soon?

:D :D :D I'm too big for Myra :p
  • edited April 2007
    I really wanted it to be Reality 2.0, but in the end, being honest with myself, I had to vote for Abe Lincoln Must Die. The comedic writing was just better. It was really close though. Episode 3 was also VERY funny.
  • edited April 2007
    Episode 4, it exceled in hilarity.

I might have picked Reality 2.0, but I just like jokes about politics more than jokes about the internet.
  • edited April 2007
    Episode 4 followed by Episode 5. Then probably 2, 1 then 3.

Episode 4 to me was the funniest even if American politics aren't my forté. I did like the wackiness of Reality 2.0 but it didn't seem to present as much of a challenge to me despite being side-splittingly comedic in places. Having said that , I've been more tempted to replay Reality 2.0 than any of the other episodes so far (was going to wait for the undoubtedly pain-staking break between seasons/or the season CD before replaying the lot).
  • edited April 2007
    Episode 5 - Reality 2.0

Because of all the insider nerd jokes.
  • edited May 2007
    episode 4 is my favorite and episode 2 is my least favorite.

I just thought the humor was golden in ep 4. Other than the political humor, we also received some superhero humor in that ep.

"Lincoln smash!" Although, this may be inspired by the family guy ep where Nixon runs amuck, l nevertheless found this hulk reference to be funny in ep 4.

Max's comment about being sent to the phantom zone and his quote" Bow down to Max!" I am not sure if this is suppose to be a reference to zod sayin "Son of Kal El, kneel before zod!" I take it as such
  • edited May 2007
    Ep. 3 Cuz I like the part when Max Pretended he's dead and When the mole get's stuck in the toy machine.

You're on fire !
    Aaaaa !

Green - OK
    Yellow - Be carefull
    Red - RUUUUUUNNNN
  • edited June 2007
    :cool:Yah, this mafioso one is the best because I'm playing it now and they get better every episode! Also the music is cool.:)
  • edited June 2007
    I'll go with Episode 4. It was completely over-the-top absurd. Superball was a funny character. I particularly liked the president's response to Sam's George Washington nutcracker joke. He says it with such ridiculous sincerity, like he's really hurt. Lawlz.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.