Hector Episode 2 Review Thread

For those of us that have it, I guess. I may as well get it started.

Mine's here since I had received a review copy (some minor spoilers), but since the game's out on iOS and Steam, what are your guys's thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    hey thanks. nice review :)
  • edited August 2011
    I'm going to replay Episode 1 first, forget most of what happened. Then I'll be buying this.
  • edited August 2011
    Are ther subs in the cutscenes this time??
  • edited September 2017
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    Are ther subs in the cutscenes this time??

Just played about 10 minutes of it and yes there are subtitles in the cutscenes.

Edit: OK, since I recently finished this game I might as well post up my comments on it: I thought this was well done. I'm not quite sure how to say this, but to me it felt like an actual adventure game, unlike Back to the Future which was sort of an "adventure game-lite" if you catch my drift.
  • edited August 2011
    Eventually beat it, all by myself, not feeling any puzzles too easy. Story was clear, yet intriguing and gripping all the way through. I loved the new characters. The revelation very near the end came as a shock. The DotT technique at the start was a good idea. Music...not so memorable. Humour...more adult, less teenagery this time. Loved the cliffhanger, looking forward to the next one. 9/10 from me.
  • edited August 2011
    Finished it a night or two ago. Pretty great, a great improvement over the first one. True, it still had a gross moment at one or two points, but it had better jokes. Some moments I burst out laughing. The puzzles were great, there was more to do, there were more locations and it was longer. I found it's length to be what I found a Sam and Max episode (4 hours, unlike the original's 2), and found it slightly tricker than the first. I only used the hints once, almost twice, but the message you get when you access it got me thinking for myself. Still wondering if insulting you is the best way to get you thinking though.
    So yeah, longer, funnier, the characters were great, and more locations. It felt more like a episode. Great job guys, looking forward to Episode 3!
  • edited August 2011
    Good episode! The puzzles were fairly easy but creative and enjoyable. I don't know why but I wasn't really expecting an actual police-style investigation -- I'm glad it turned out that way, the story got much more interesting. This episode has more scatological and gross-out humor, which I don't really care for, but there was plenty of comedy about sex and drugs and violence and blasphemy to make up for it. :D

The only issue I'd raise is that the single voice actor -- I guess there's a second one for female voices now, but I'm thinking more about the male voices -- has become distracting. There are more characters so the individual voices are less distinct. It's not a serious failing but something I noticed nonetheless.
  • edited August 2011
    I think it was a step backward from the first episode.

While the first felt like a true old school adventure with a nice share of exploring and inventory puzzles, this one felt more like a traditional Telltale game, too linear, too easy, scarce inventory, etc.
    I always knew what i had to do next; when i picked something it was a matter of seconds before i knew where i was gonna use it or what to do with it.
    I hope they scramble things a little bit more for the next one.
    It was a shame because it was supposed to be longer, and indeed there are many location to visit, but it's always too obvious what you had to do in each one, there is no real exploration, you just go somewhere being pretty sure you know what to do.
  • edited September 2011
    Ignatius wrote: »
    I think it was a step backward from the first episode.

While the first felt like a true old school adventure with a nice share of exploring and inventory puzzles, this one felt more like a traditional Telltale game, too linear, too easy, scarce inventory, etc.
    I always knew what i had to do next; when i picked something it was a matter of seconds before i knew where i was gonna use it or what to do with it.
    I hope they scramble things a little bit more for the next one.
    It was a shame because it was supposed to be longer, and indeed there are many location to visit, but it's always too obvious what you had to do in each one, there is no real exploration, you just go somewhere being pretty sure you know what to do.

I have to agree with you here. The puzzles were a bit too simple and most of the conversations were quite useless. "THAT" conversation over "THERE" making a nice exception tho.The puzzles may have been a bit ballbags, but it was bleeding hilarious in general!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.