KQ7: Underrated?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    No, I get that impression from her actions not only from the intro, but as a troll, and later in the game.. She has a very whiny voice, and complains about nearly everything going on in the game... Worst voice cast ever in a KQ game...
    And I always found the Swamp Monster pretty creepy. Same with the Werewoods bear, especially the Death scenes. And Colin Farwalker, arguably the creepiest character in the whole series.

I found swamp monster and the were-bear kinda amusing actually... They are exagerrated cartoon monsters...

I never found Colin Farwalker that scary... maybe a little trajic but never scary... The desert just isn't that scary of a location...

Boogeyman, Headlses Horseman, and his wife are more scary than Colin... They are more cheap thrills than anything...

There is a serious difference in that unless you know how to solve how to defeat the yeti, or the harpies, they seriously feel threatening... The death seems realistic...

The death from the plant monster and the were-bear are actually kinda funny!
    KQ6 isn't really so much dark as it is more mature in storyline and tone. But mature =/= dark. It's just simply a more complex, mature story.

It actually touches on several dark themes, such as a villain who places himself into a trusted position of power, stabs his benifactors in their sleep, tries to even off the next in line to push himself into next in line... He is a extremely evil and manipulative character, that puts on airs of being a good guy...

btw creepy =/= necessarily equal dark either! I know at least a few people that argue that KQ4 isn't really 'dark'...

Hell even Roberta Williams admitted that KQ6 has a dark tone. Probably for the evil and malign villain in the story...
  • edited September 2011
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    No, I get that impression from her actions not only from the intro, but as a troll, and later in the game.. She has a very whiny voice, and complains about nearly everything going on in the game... Worst voice cast ever in a KQ game...

I found swamp monster and the were-bear kinda amusing actually... They are exagerrated cartoon monsters...

I never found Colin Farwalker that scary... maybe a little trajic but never scary... The desert just isn't that scary of a location...

Boogeyman, Headlses Horseman, and his wife are more scary than Colin... They are more cheap thrills than anything...

There is a serious difference in that unless you know how to solve how to defeat the yeti, or the harpies, they seriously feel threatening... The death seems realistic...

The death from the plant monster and the were-bear are actually kinda funny!

It actually touches on several dark themes, such as a villain who places himself into a trusted position of power, stabs his benifactors in their sleep, tries to even off the next in line to push himself into next in line... He is a extremely evil and manipulative character, that puts on airs of being a good guy...

btw creepy =/= necessarily equal dark either! I know at least a few people that argue that KQ4 isn't really 'dark'...

Hell even Roberta Williams admitted that KQ6 has a dark tone. Probably for the evil and malign villain in the story...

We agree to disagree. You don't like KQ7; I do. At the end of the day, the argument is on my side, because it IS a part of the KQ series.
  • edited September 2011
    We agree to disagree. You don't like KQ7; I do. At the end of the day, the argument is on my side, because it IS a part of the KQ series.
    No, I never said that KQ7, isn't a KQ game...

I just feel its the weakest KQ game, and had a completely different feel... There is a big difference...

So no the arguement is not on your side, its not on either of our side... We have different opinions... It doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more or less valid...

If you think that your opinion is more valid than other people's opinion, that just makes you a pompous ass and possibly even a jerk...
  • edited September 2011
    No, I never said that KQ7, isn't a KQ game...

I just feel its the weakest KQ game, and had a completely different feel... There is a big difference...

So no the arguement is not on your side, its not on either of our side... We have different opinions... It doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more or less valid...

If you think that your opinion is more valid than other people's opinion, that just makes you a pompous ass and possibly even a jerk...

Sorry if I came off badly I just am not in the best of moods and wasn't interested in debating.
  • edited September 2011
    Sorry if I came off badly I just am not in the best of moods and wasn't interested in debating.
    A wise person once said, "If you know you have nothing good to say, sometimes its best not to say anything at all".

Another wise person once set, "Sometimes its best to know when to keep your mouth shut, or you might make an ass of yourself".

In general its best only discuss soemthing, when you are in a good mood...

Generally speaking, if you get so riled and defensive to the point, that you start attacking other people (ad hominem), rather than their viewpoints, the debate is weakening on your end.

Besides its very difficult to 'debate' opinions on a subject that has no 'facts'. What we are discussing are feelings based purely on opinions, it's not a 'fact-based' subject.

If the purpose of 'debate' is to somehow influence and change beliefs, its very difficult to change beliefs, on something that is based purely on opinions. Where neither view point is right or wrong. Basically it would be virtually impossible for me to make you stop loving the game, or you to make me love the game with zero reservations...
  • edited September 2011
    A wise person once said, "If you know you have nothing good to say, sometimes its best not to say anything at all".

Another wise person once set, "Sometimes its best to know when to your own mouth shut, or you might make an ass of yourself".

Generally speaking, if you get so riled to the point, that you start attacking other people (ad hominem), rather than their viewpoints, the debate is weakening on your end.

Besides its very difficult to 'debate' opinions on a subject that has no 'facts'. What we are discussing are feelings based purely on opinions, it's not a 'fact-based' subject.

If the purpose of 'debate' is to somehow influence and change beliefs, its very difficult to change beliefs, on something that is based purely on opinions. Where neither view point is right or wrong.

Well by debate I mean that we'd be throwing countering subjective opinions back and forth with no real purpose or point, because neither of us is going to change the other's opinion. I can't go on forever and convince you why KQ7 is a good game...So why continue it?
  • edited September 2011
    No offense, but you created this thread for people to discuss their opinions. If you don't like reading other peoples opinions, then maybe don't make the threads?
  • edited September 2011
    Well, unlike previous KQ games which I almost uniformly loved, KQ7 was a bit of a mixed bag for me. There were some things I liked a lot about it -- the art (yes, I'm one of the few who like it) the alternate endings, and the characters. There were also some things about it I really hated -- the puzzle design was annoying, particularly the many 'timed entrance' puzzles with the dog and bogeyman, and in my opinion the second half of the game was rather lack-luster and repetitive. In general I think it's rated properly -- fun but not fantastic. Put it this way: I've played all other KQ games at least 3 times, KQ7 I only felt the need to play through once, plus the alternate ending.
  • edited September 2011
    I like KQ7, but my primary issues are that there is no control over walking speed, and the player is capable of only playing certain chapters. That is, at the beginning of a new game, you are asked outright what chapter you want to start on, and I don't like that.
  • edited September 2011
    BTW, I don't exactly 'hate' KQ7, I just have many criticisms for it.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't HATE KQ7, per se...but I do think it is a steaming pile of turds. Especially compared to KQ5, which I feel like is more of a gleaming, solid gold turd. ;)
  • edited September 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    I don't HATE KQ7, per se...but I do think it is a steaming pile of turds. Especially compared to KQ5, which I feel like is more of a gleaming, solid gold turd. ;)

I would say that KQ7 is appropriately silly in places on purpose while KQ5 is annoyingly absurd in places by mere ineptitude. Sure KQ5's backgrounds are pretty, but that's about it.
  • edited September 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I would say that KQ7 is appropriately silly in places on purpose while KQ5 is annoyingly absurd in places by mere ineptitude. Sure KQ5's backgrounds are pretty, but that's about it.

I think it's over-simplifying to suggest that it was ineptitude that led to some of KQ5's questionable design elements. Through the lens of today's video games, where hand-holding is the norm and everything has to be utterly unified and connected to be considered "good," yes, KQ5 has its absurdities, and you have to wonder what the designers were thinking. But when you stack it up to other video games made at the same time, in the same day and age, KQ5 is light-years ahead in many respects. Compare it to contemporary NES games for example, or even many PC games. KQ5 was a brilliantly designed title by comparison. Context is everything here.

Now, in my opinion, KQ5 still holds up great today, but what I like in an adventure game isn't the same as what everyone else likes, and I can accept that. KQ5 has dead ends and a handful of odd puzzles by design, not by accident. You may disagree with a particular design decision, but it doesn't mean the designers didn't know what they were doing. :)
  • edited September 2011
    You forgot to mention that the animal voice acting in KQ5 is so bad as to defy adequate description.
  • edited September 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that the animal voice acting in KQ5 is so bad as to defy adequate description.

Again though, being one of the first games ever to be fully voiced, that sort of thing is fairly forgivable.

They certainly improved upon it in the next game of the series, but then for some reason, stepped way backwards with even WORSE voice acting in KQ7. ;)
  • edited September 2011
    Again though, being one of the first games ever to be fully voiced, that sort of thing is fairly forgivable.

They certainly improved upon it in the next game of the series, but then for some reason, stepped way backwards with even WORSE voice acting in KQ7. ;)

I don't recall KQ7 having particularly horrible voice overs... then again I didn't think KQ5's were that bad either, so maybe I just have a weakness for cheese-tastic voice acting.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah, I suppose KQ7's voices weren't HORRIBLE, but they definitely weren't as good as KQ6, in my opinion. They are nowhere NEAR as good as the Sierra game that has, in my opinion, the BEST voice acting of any game they ever did--QFG4.
  • edited September 2011
    The voice of Rosella in KQ5 was better than the actress that did her voice in KQ7, in my humble opinion...

She's almost chalkboard scratching annoying in KQ7... Whiny as hell...
  • edited September 2011
    I never mined her voice in KQ7 personally...I never got the complaints about the voices in KQ7. I love a lot of them...The Mocking Bird, Valanice, King Otar, Oberon, the Spider (a wonderful tribute to Peter Lorre! It actually led me to look up Peter Lorre and do a drawing of his face using Windows Paint at around 8 years old--still have it), and some of the others. It's up there with my favorite KQ games of all time.
  • edited September 2011
    I never minded her voice in KQ7 personally...I never got the complaints about the voices in KQ7. I love a lot of them...The Mocking Bird, Valanice, King Otar, Oberon, the Spider, and some of the others. It's up there with my favorite KQ games of all time.

I agree.
  • edited September 2011
    Nostalgia is everything, along with context. KQ5 wasn't horrible, it's just the fad nowadays to hate it. Like MOE. Or even KQ7. If you have a decent argument against it, however, your opinion is no more invalid that anyone else who has likewise. Every game has its downfalls but every game also has its perks. When you truly weigh out the pros and cons of each KQ game the balance you find is enlightening. These games, not matter how you feel about each title, if you're a fan of the franchise, were still light years better than a lot of other titles out at the time. Including KQ7, which I hate. That's why they were best-selling AAA titles. That's why we bought them, loved them, and talk about them still to this day.

It's also a fad to over-exaggerate KQ6's excellence (not that it lacked it, but it is over exaggerated).
  • CezCez
    edited September 2011
    I think it's over-simplifying to suggest that it was ineptitude that led to some of KQ5's questionable design elements. Through the lens of today's video games, where hand-holding is the norm and everything has to be utterly unified and connected to be considered "good," yes, KQ5 has its absurdities, and you have to wonder what the designers were thinking. But when you stack it up to other video games made at the same time, in the same day and age, KQ5 is light-years ahead in many respects. Compare it to contemporary NES games for example, or even many PC games. KQ5 was a brilliantly designed title by comparison. Context is everything here.

The Secret of Monkey Island and King's Quest V were released on the same year :) but I'm not going to go there... ;)

I think the love for KQ5 is deserved, but not on its own merits. It was the beginning of the best time for adventure games, the golden era of Sierra, the VGA period. KQ5 wasn't my experience for this, SQ4 was. And if I looked coldly at SQ4, I can see its many flaws, but still, nostalgia is too powerful. It was the sheer beauty of it, my jaw dropping at the CHANGE, could not get enough of it!

I played KQ5 after the excellent KQ6, and running into its many dead ends was just frustrating. So I guess that if KQ5 was experienced BEFORE KQ6, and especially in 1990, then probably it'll have a very special place on your heart. And yes, it was and still is beautiful.
  • CezCez
    edited September 2011
    I don't remember acting "overly selfish, pompous and rode" or "more interested in herself than others" in KQ7.

Oh, please. I Loooove KQ7, but Rosella was a brat. She had a story arch in which she changed towards being a woman, and that's one of the main story points in the game. That's why the story is pretty much based in Alice in Wonderland, and Sierra didn't do anything to hide it. Rosella goes from not wanting to marry and have kids, and not wanting to listen to her mother, to finally allowing Edgar to court her.

But in order to represent that, they made her a complete brat especially towards the beginning. When she's changed to a troll and starts to cry? That's probably the biggest offender of them all, but it was there for a reason.

And that's how a lot of people say that Rosella stepped back from the Rosella in KQ4, which seemed a lot more mature, when she went to Tamir to help her father.
  • edited September 2011
    Cez wrote: »
    Oh, please. I Loooove KQ7, but Rosella was a brat. She had a story arch in which she changed towards being a woman, and that's one of the main story points in the game. That's why the story is pretty much based in Alice in Wonderland, and Sierra didn't do anything to hide it. Rosella goes from not wanting to marry and have kids, and not wanting to listen to her mother, to finally allowing Edgar to court her.

But in order to represent that, they made her a complete brat especially towards the beginning. When she's changed to a troll and starts to cry? That's probably the biggest offender of them all, but it was there for a reason.

And that's how a lot of people say that Rosella stepped back from the Rosella in KQ4, which seemed a lot more mature, when she went to Tamir to help her father.

Well, outside of a few lines in the opening and ending, Rosella doesn't speak in KQ4...And by the way, in one of the bad endings, if you have to marry Edgar, she faints. She also, in the intro is crying and stutters over her words when talking to Genesta. She doesn't even think she can help Genesta.
    I don't see how it's so horrible that she cries when being made into a troll.

Since your own game takes a realistic, psychological look at the characters, is it not possible that after having the following happening in the span of just a few years:

-Being given up by your own father to a dragon, likely to your death.
    -Being rescued by your brother, meeting him for the very first time, and having your father have a heart attack all in the same day; Having to spend the rest of the day and the next on an adventure in a dangerous land to save him and a fairy.
    -A year later, being suddenly one day kidnapped and shrinked by an evil wizard and threatened with being eaten
    -Having your brother disappear on an adventure for a wife for months without a trace and likely being presumed dead.

Would it be unreasonable for a girl who has experienced this all , and is still just 19 bordering on 20, to NOT want to get married? To want to enjoy life?

Besides, fairy tales and the light hearted Disney style go hand in hand.
  • edited September 2011
    She also, in the intro is crying and stutters over her words when talking to Genesta.

I would be too, if my father was dying... That's not a sign of immaturity... BTW, there is a contrast to Rosella's gentility and maturity in KQ4, in the fact the frog prince, is the stuck up, and snob royality, and treats Rosella like a piece of trash (yet we see Rosella treats peasants respectfully during the game)!

It's very different than her whiny behaviour in KQ7 in the Troll Land. Hell, she's actually kinda violent in KQ7 too! Using a wagon on the Bridge Troll, sending it into Lava...

Plus, there's all that whiny, and over emphasized style of speech she has, 'Ewwwww, it smell's like rotten eggs in her", "Euwch, what's this, green water..." Really, the actor's style goes a long ways to make her sound whiny...

BTW, on a related note, one of the reasons why the novel See No Weevil is so poorly received, is because Rosella is also quite selfish, snobby, self-serving, pompous, whiny and rude in that story, she is more interested in herself than others. "I'm a princess, and you will do what I say..." attitude... This is what gets her into trouble in the story on multiple occasions! There is alot of, "Ewwww, that's gross, kill it moments" such as for a innocent snake (to which she's has to be corrected by her more educated tutor to its importance). She thinks she's better than her father and her mother (but especially her father), since she was born on nobility on two sides, her father was born as a peasant apparently (becoming a noble and knight through deeds), and her mother was born on nobility on only one side!

I have a feeling the the two authors took their inspiration from Rosella's characterization frm KQ7, rather than KQ4... She has nearly the same, disgust towards the 'prospect of marriage' in the story that she has in KQ7!
  • edited September 2011
    I would be too, if my father was dying... That's not a sign of immaturity... BTW, there is a contrast to Rosella's gentility and maturity in KQ4, in the fact the frog prince, is the stuck up, and snob royality, and treats Rosella like a piece of trash (yet we see Rosella treats peasants respectfully during the game)!

It's very different than her whiny behaviour in KQ7 in the Troll Land. Hell, she's actually kinda violent in KQ7 too! Using a wagon on the Bridge Troll, sending it into Lava...

Plus, there's all that whiny, and over emphasized style of speech she has, 'Ewwwww, it smell's like rotten eggs in her", "Euwch, what's this, green water..." Really, the actor's style goes a long ways to make her sound whiny...

BTW, on a related note, one of the reasons why the novel See No Weevil is so poorly received, is because Rosella is also quite selfish, snobby, self-serving, pompous, whiny and rude in that story, she is more interested in herself than others. "I'm a princess, and you will do what I say..." attitude... This is what gets her into trouble in the story on multiple occasions! There is alot of, "Ewwww, that's gross, kill it moments" such as for a innocent snake (to which she's has to be corrected by her more educated tutor to its importance). She thinks she's better than her father and her mother (but especially her father), since she was born on nobility on two sides, her father was born as a peasant apparently (becoming a noble and knight through deeds), and her mother was born on nobility on only one side!

I have a feeling the the two authors took their inspiration from Rosella's characterization frm KQ7, rather than KQ4... She has nearly the same, disgust towards the 'prospect of marriage' in the story that she has in KQ7!

Is Graham immature and whiny for pushing the Bridge troll into to the Lake in KQ1? Same sort of action, same motive. And while the Bridge Troll in KQ1 is just an annoyance in that he won't let you pass, in KQ7 the Troll will kill you.

I thought her voice was appropriate, personally. I never liked her voice in KQ5 or KQ6. In KQ5 she sounds rather bland in KQ6 she sounds wrong somehow. Her tone and everything toward Alex at the end.

Also, doesn't See No Weevil take place when she's around 14 or so? I think most girls who are Princesses and left in the position she is would be snobbish at that age. It's very Disney-esque and Roberta's inspiration did come in large measure from Disney, not just in KQ7 but in general according to her July '97 post.

I don't see the problem with her portrayal in KQ7, or in that book. Obviously that's how Roberta saw her character; Look at Valanice on the other hand, very lady-like, a little too prim and proper perhaps--Two opposites.
  • edited September 2011
    Is Graham immature and whiny for pushing the Bridge troll into to the Lake in KQ1? Same sort of action, same motive. And while the Bridge Troll in KQ1 is just an annoyance in that he won't let you pass, in KQ7 the Troll will kill you.

As the game notes, Graham didn't, the goat did! "it's a known fact that goat's hate trolls" or some such comment.

Rosella seems to take enjoyment from her action! Graham didn't seem to react to it!
    Her tone and everything toward Alex at the end.

Are you suggesting her voice sounded 'sensual' or such in KQ6?

KQ5 is my favorite Rosella voice personally.
    Valanice on the other hand, very lady-like, a little too prim and proper perhaps--Two opposites.
    Valanice's characterization was spot on, the prim and proper lady she's been throughout the series, at least from KQ3 onwards (it's kinda hard to tell her behaviour in KQ2)! The voice actress was very similar to the one/s that played in the previous two games...
  • edited September 2011
    So she can cry in KQ4 as a result of her father's plight, but not in KQ7 because she doesn't know how to recover from becoming a troll? She doesn't seem whiny to me, she's just a 19 year old girl. Further, she doesn't have an "I'm a princess, and you'll obey my command" attitude in KQ7... The only times she was ever cross with anyone in KQ7 was with the fake Troll King at the start of Chapter 2 and the creepy troll blacksmith who hits on her.

I don't see how Rosella knocking a dangerous and deadly troll out of the way of a path to his (probably unintentional) death is any different than Graham tricking a witch into being stuck in a genie bottle quite possibly for eternity (though the genie does intend it to last at least 500 years.)

KQ7 Rosella didn't seem to me to be whiny about marriage. She's used to adventure and excitement happening around her. Despite the hardships they have endured, her family also has a number of adventures to regale themselves and others about yet the suitors Rosella has met are all boring, pompous princes. Rosella is intrigued when she sees a castle in the clouds and dreams of what lies beyond her kingdom.

Rosella is adventurous and doesn't want to get stuck marrying some dull-witted prince, nor some weird troll king who intends to marry her the very moment they meet. This feeling of hers is maintained, as Edgar is not only a handsome prince (whom she has met before and also has saved her life in Lolotte's castle) but is also the Prince of the Fairies of Etheria-- a wondrous magical land in the sky.

I wouldn't call her bratty just because she wants more out of life than to be stuck as a troll or married to some boring stuck-up prince in a mundane nearby kingdom.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, its not really the fact she turns them down... Graham turned many ladies down in his day as well when they were brought to him by his prime minister.

It's just how the voice actor treats the issue! Maybe you don't find it whiny, but I find the voice actress 'grating' personally.

Its interesting though, if you read quite a few reviews from the day, they air out many of the same complaints I have! The game received lower than usual (for KQ) scores from most reviewers on many of these same points!
  • edited September 2011
    disliking Maureen McVerry's voice is different from thinking Rosella has a whiny attitude.
  • edited September 2011
    So now 'actors' don't convey character? I'll remember that the next time I see a movie!

Ya, right!

BTW, I enjoy Josh Mandel's characterization of King Graham...
  • edited September 2011
    You said her voice was "grating."

grat·ing
    adjective /ˈgrātiNG/ 
    Sounding harsh and unpleasant

That's not the same as whiny. Besides, I don't recall her sounding "whiny" in more than perhaps the intro with "Prince Throckmorton? Mother, he's so boring." Overall, she's friendly to those who are nice to her and even finds humor in the reactions of some of those who are less than friendly.
  • edited September 2011
    RosellaTSL.jpg

I wonder if any that idea has remained in TSL?
  • edited September 2011
    Lol. That screenshot shows when TSL was still called KQ9 and the first chapter was called "Shadows". One word. That would have been perfect, considering the content of the eventually released first chapter.
  • edited September 2011
    Based on what Cez mentioned above, some of it might still be in the game? Next chapter maybe? They have shown screenshots of Rosella in it, I think?
  • edited September 2011
    I was only talking about the chapter title.
  • edited September 2011
    Color me disinterested in TSL.

By POS's own admission: TSL takes place in a previously visited land merely for the sake of fanservice and despite all previous games taking place exclusively in an unexplored land; and includes an uncharacteristically high level of drama such that certain people on of the staff recognize and agree with cited problems with the story.

AGDI and IA's remakes, I have great respect and admiration for. The Silver Lining however just doesn't work for me at all.
  • edited September 2011
    Sort of a different beast between remakes and a sequel.
  • edited September 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Sort of a different beast between remakes and a sequel.

and still you can f*uck both of them up. Or at least do something that will make the old fans rage. Like adding sharks to KQ2 (which I personally liked).
  • edited September 2011
    There were sharks in the original KQ2! One even attends the wedding at the end!
    WeddingKQ2.png

Oh you mean the Sharkees?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.