Does anyone else hope KQ isn't episodic?

edited September 2011 in Kings Quest Game
I know episodic games are TT's forte, but I really hope they break their normal habits for King's Quest. I've never really been a fan of episodic games...I kind of want the whole game at once. And I don't think the episodic format would really be conductive to KQ. It might work but I'd personally much prefer the whole game at once....
Anyone else agree?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    It mostly depends on the plot and how the story is told. Personally I'm okay both ways, but on the same note I'm not that interested in similar approach Silver Lining took, but that's mostly because I don't like the writing.
  • edited August 2011
    Yes, I agree. I have no problem with episodic delivery if the games and stories are naturally episodic themselves. I also don't mind breaking up the kind of story associated with, say, a Sam and Max game into "chapters" punctuated by cliffhangers -- that can be fun. But I would prefer King's Quest as a single game. As much for what it can bring to the complexity of the gameplay as for the story.
  • edited August 2011
    If being episodic means episodes that are self-contained and have little to no bearing on each other, then yes it worries me.

I'm with the crowd that wants the game to feel fully explorable (albeit there are areas impossible to reach at first). I also want the episodes to be dependent on each other such that it requires you to start from the beginning. I don't want gamers to be able to play only Chapter 4 of a 5-part KQ game. That's stupid.

If, by episodic, you merely mean a full-sized game whose plot is delivered in sections, then no it doesn't bother me as long as it's done right.
  • edited August 2011
    I would be thrilled if by episodic, it only had two or three episodes. But only if those 2-3 episodes were 1/2 to 2/3 of a classic Sierra game in size.

Whatever they do, the game should be as long as a classic Sierra game or longer. I wait to make judgement as to other features once its released.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm not counting on it being long or extending the episodes' lengths and lowering the number of episodes. I hope we don't visit the same areas all the time. I'm thinking about something like KQ5 (and these are just random examples, KQ5 isn't really broken up and balanced this way, but if it were...) where the first "chapter" would take place in one big area (town, in KQ5's case), the next chapter takes place in the desert, the next in the forest, the next in the mountains and beach, and the next on Mordack's island.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm really just hoping it doesn't suck the testicles of a rotting donkey carcass like BTTF.
  • edited August 2011
    Only in 88 MPH...
  • edited August 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    I'm really just hoping it doesn't suck the testicles of a rotting donkey carcass like BTTF.

I'm not going to remove this but keep it clean. Last warning.
  • edited August 2011
    If it is done like KQ7, then I am okay with it. The way the game was done in chapters worked well. However, if it was done like the Sam and Max games, then I agree that it wouldn't feel like KQ
  • edited August 2011
    Amy Lukima wrote: »
    I'm not going to remove this but keep it clean. Last warning.

That wasn't that bad! The game was on the other hand...will you remove it too?
  • edited August 2011
    Lambonius, always getting on the 'colorful end' of descriptions. Not the first forum he's been warned for posts like that ;).
  • edited August 2011
    Snap
  • edited September 2011
    Who, me? :rolleyes:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.