possible BTTF 3 mistake ?????

edited September 2011 in Back to the Future
hi all, im a big fan of BTTF and personaly i loved the game,

i noticed a slight flaw in BTTF 3

marty enters 1885 and the arrow rips the fuel line, causing him and doc to come up with the train pushing it to 88 mph idea.

however we all know that doc buried the delorean in the mine shaft (where marty and doc discover it in 1955)
so that means that when marty is in 1885 there are currently two deloreans,

my thought was this, why didnt doc from 1885 just take parts from the delorean that has buried and use them to repair the delorean marty showed up in???

that way he could of just left instructions to replace the fuel line for 1955 doc and marty as well as instructions to repair the time circuits, and just go back to 1985 with the fuel line and fuel from the buried delorean ?

am i right ?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    That would be incredibly dangerous. If they took parts that 1955 Doc couldn't replace, then Marty would be stranded in 1955 with a broken time machine, causing a paradox. Also, if in accessing the time vehicle, they caused a cave in that crushed the DeLorean, that could cause a paradox as well. So, it's far too risky.
  • edited September 2011
    The problem isn't the damaged fuel line, the problem is the lack of fuel. The DeLorean in the mine apparently doesn't have any/enough gas in it to be useful. Why? If you're putting a car into storage for a long time, you should drain the gas out so it doesn't eat away at the tank... and even if Doc saved that gas rather than discarding it, he probably used it up by now with his inventions, since he wasn't expecting Marty to come back.

In fact, since the DeLorean through most of BTTF2 had been using future technology to fly around, it's possible that it had little or no gas in it by the time it landed in 1885 to begin with. I don't think there's any statement in the film about what kind of fuel the car needs to fly, but presumably it was rendered useless when the flying circuits were destroyed.
  • edited September 2011
    kitch wrote: »
    hi all, im a big fan of BTTF and personaly i loved the game,

i noticed a slight flaw in BTTF 3

marty enters 1885 and the arrow rips the fuel line, causing him and doc to come up with the train pushing it to 88 mph idea.

however we all know that doc buried the delorean in the mine shaft (where marty and doc discover it in 1955)
    so that means that when marty is in 1885 there are currently two deloreans,

my thought was this, why didnt doc from 1885 just take parts from the delorean that has buried and use them to repair the delorean marty showed up in???

that way he could of just left instructions to replace the fuel line for 1955 doc and marty as well as instructions to repair the time circuits, and just go back to 1985 with the fuel line and fuel from the buried delorean ?

am i right ?

I thought of that also, why not just take the gas from that delorean in the mine shaft. Emmett in 1955 would most likely fill it up with gas. they could have done that instead of blowing up the intake manifold.
  • edited September 2011
    the doc in 1885 would know if his past self could repair it because he was there himself, plus car technology hasnt changed much since the fifties it still has the basic mechanics, and regards to the cave in, thats a risk when the unearth it in the first place surely?
  • edited September 2011
    I wondered that, but someone pointed out that while 50's Doc is repairing the delorean, he had to replace the fuel line and such, meaning their was no gas remaining in the car when doc arrived in 1885. Although it'd be smart to write a note tell marty to bring some gas.
  • If anything went wrong there'd be a paradox. It's not a flaw at all, doc would know better than to keep gasoline in a delorean not available for use for 70 years. Especially in the off chance of a fire (which is a plausible scenario given that they did have to use dynamite to get into the mine in 1955) it would not have made sense for doc to leave gasoline in the delorean.
  • edited September 2011
    techie775 wrote: »
    I wondered that, but someone pointed out that while 50's Doc is repairing the delorean, he had to replace the fuel line and such, meaning their was no gas remaining in the car when doc arrived in 1885. Although it'd be smart to write a note tell marty to bring some gas.

It wouldn't have affected the timeline of the Marty we follow. They still would be stranded in 1885 with no gasoline. Remember, Back to the Future doesn't work that way, or else Doc would've probably landed the car shortly after they took care of Biff and drove to the Lyon Estates site instead of flying and prevented being trapped in 1885 in the first place.
  • edited September 2011
    If anything went wrong there'd be a paradox. It's not a flaw at all, doc would know better than to keep gasoline in a delorean not available for use for 70 years. Especially in the off chance of a fire (which is a plausible scenario given that they did have to use dynamite to get into the mine in 1955) it would not have made sense for doc to leave gasoline in the delorean.

I was talking about after 50's doc and Marty blew up the mine and made the car ready to time travel again in the beginning of BTTF 3. I never said that doc should carry extra gas in the car.

"It wouldn't have affected the timeline of the Marty we follow. They still would be stranded in 1885 with no gasoline. Remember, Back to the Future doesn't work that way, or else Doc would've probably landed the car shortly after they took care of Biff and drove to the Lyon Estates site instead of flying and prevented being trapped in 1885 in the first place. "

Possible, but I think of the changes in BTTF 2 when Marty destroyed the Almanac, the Newspaper changed on it's own, Jennifer and Einstein were okay again and they were still in 1985B. And Doc in 1885 wrote a letter to Marty in 1955 once and it ended up changing what happened around. Why couldn't that happen again (despite making the movie, incredibly boring)
  • techie775 wrote: »
    I was talking about after 50's doc and Marty blew up the mine and made the car ready to time travel again in the beginning of BTTF 3. I never said that doc should carry extra gas in the car.

"It wouldn't have affected the timeline of the Marty we follow. They still would be stranded in 1885 with no gasoline. Remember, Back to the Future doesn't work that way, or else Doc would've probably landed the car shortly after they took care of Biff and drove to the Lyon Estates site instead of flying and prevented being trapped in 1885 in the first place. "

Possible, but I think of the changes in BTTF 2 when Marty destroyed the Almanac, the Newspaper changed on it's own, Jennifer and Einstein were okay again and they were still in 1985B. And Doc in 1885 wrote a letter to Marty in 1955 once and it ended up changing what happened around. Why couldn't that happen again (despite making the movie, incredibly boring)

first off 1955 doc says there's a full tank of gas so assuming time travel doesnt take up extra gas (which its never been implied it does), there would have been more than enough to get back to 1985. And doing it through a letter wouldn't have worked; first off marty arrives in 1885 the day after doc writes the letter but even still it's been established you can't change the past by changing the future so that plan wouldnt have worked for the same reason that they couldnt have traveled back to 2015 to stop biff from stealing the time machine.
  • edited September 2011
    but even still it's been established you can't change the past by changing the future so that plan wouldnt have worked for the same reason that they couldnt have traveled back to 2015 to stop biff from stealing the time machine.
    I forgot about that. It makes sense what you're saying, and it gave a excuse to make a 3rd movie. Thanks for the explanation.
  • edited September 2011
    Also in bttf 3, how come the Doc in 1885 didn't know that he was gonna be shot, when the doc in 1955 saw the tombstone, and knew who was going to shoot him. Because that is Doc in the future in 1885. Like when Doc said Marty, I gave you explicit instructions not to come here but to go directly back to 1985. and he looked at the picture like he didn't know. Right when he saw the tombstone in 1955 he should have known or remember that in the future even though he is stuck in the past. No different than the Doc in 1955 asking Marty if he can go to the library to look himself up in the news paper archives, Marty said it's not good to know to much about your future to doc in 1955.
  • edited September 2011
    Flawless02 wrote: »
    Also in bttf 3, how come the Doc in 1885 didn't know that he was gonna be shot, when the doc in 1955 saw the tombstone, and knew who was going to shoot him. Because that is Doc in the future in 1885. Like when Doc said Marty, I gave you explicit instructions not to come here but to go directly back to 1985. and he looked at the picture like he didn't know. Right when he saw the tombstone in 1955 he should have known or remember that in the future even though he is stuck in the past. No different than the Doc in 1955 asking Marty if he can go to the library to look himself up in the news paper archives, Marty said it's not good to know to much about your future to doc in 1955.

Well, that's another debate that has raged for years across BTTF forums...

You need to understand basically that the Doc trapped in 1885 and the Doc in 1955 are from different timelines. Doc trapped in 1885 is LP Doc from the timeline created by Marty's original trip to 1955. He remembers the events of the BTTF1 from 1955, and all the time travels of BTTF2 up till the lightning bolt struck the Delorean and stranded him in 1885.

The '55 Doc at the end of BTTF2/start of BTTF3 is Shonash Doc. His timeline diverged from that of LP Doc's the moment Marty surprised him and told him he was 'back FROM the future'. He learns all about his future selves fate. So Doc's personal timeline is changing in 1955, however, this doesn't change the Doc who's already trapped in 1885 (from a meta-time perspective, since everything we see on screen happens for the 'first time', Doc was trapped in 1885 BEFORE Marty meets younger Doc in 1955).

Now the obvious question would be, what happens when Shonash Doc 'grows up' and reached the point in 1985 when LP Doc started time travelling? Well, that's the same question as what happens to LP Marty at the end of BTTF1...
  • edited September 2011
    The whole fuel issue has always bugged me with the way that Doc recklessly poured that bottle into the tank without testing it. Being a scientist he should know how to mix together suitable substitute for fuel. But as Bob Gale explained, they needed to eliminate the cars own engine so they can incorporate the train

As for going back into the mine to get the fuel, it's been covered before, Doc knew that the DeLorean was going to be stored in the mine for 70 years, any car mechanic (and scientist) knows that to help preserve the car you should drain the fuel and oil
Sign in to comment in this discussion.