Revisiting the series?

edited September 2011 in Kings Quest Game
I realized something. King's Quest has been MIA for a long time, and this new game will probably be a lot of people's first encounter with the series. I think once this game draws closer, Telltale should do something to help familiarize any newbies with the world of KQ. Two thoughts...

1. They could sell the King's Quest Collection on the Telltale Store, just like how they sell Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition. Maybe even give it free/discounted when you pre-order the new game. I know they sell the Collection on Steam too, so maybe a "King's Quest Bundle" is possible?

2. This is a bit of a stretch, but maybe actually include the older games with the episodes? I doubt they'd take up too much memory.

What do you think?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I realized something. King's Quest has been MIA for a long time, and this new game will probably be a lot of people's first encounter with the series. I think once this game draws closer, Telltale should do something to help familiarize any newbies with the world of KQ. Two thoughts...

1. They could sell the King's Quest Collection on the Telltale Store, just like how they sell Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition. Maybe even give it free/discounted when you pre-order the new game. I know they sell the Collection on Steam too, so maybe a "King's Quest Bundle" is possible?

2. This is a bit of a stretch, but maybe actually include the older games with the episodes? I doubt they'd take up too much memory.

What do you think?

Both great ideas, however, I doubt they will happen since GOG is already selling the Collection. It's possible they could be sold alongside the new game in a special edition perhaps--A limited edition maybe.
  • edited September 2011
    You forget that Telltale WAS selling the KQ collection in the recent past.
  • edited September 2011
    You forget that Telltale WAS selling the KQ collection in the recent past.

No, I remember The Great Adventure Bundle. But that was a limited time deal. I mean selling the KQ Collection permanently. Or at least bring it back temporarily to promote the new game.
  • edited September 2011
    If they have a KQ collection, it should be an updated one, not that piece of crap 2006 Vivendi collection.

It should be complete, and have the entire series.

It should include AGI and SCI versions of KQ1.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to have the 2-3 versions of KQ4 (at least the AGI and final SCI version).

It should have installation for KQ6 windows for 64bit computers out of the box (even if this means installing a copy of ScummVM as a frontend).

It should have the 2.0 version of KQ7 (the 32 bit version 1.4 will not cut it on 64 bit machines).

It should have the patched version of KQ8, added in the the more recent Activision/GoG collection.

It should have King's Questions, Graham's Board Game Challenge, and maybe even Quest for Daventry pinball game.

It should have Wizard and the Princess/Adventure in Serenia.

It should have any other bonus behind the scenes programs offered on any previous KQ collection/Roberta Williams collection. Such as the Shield/Royal Scribe/Inside the Chest, etc.

I think a good idea, as a bonus maybe it should have an emulated copies of the Amiga KQ6 version, the NES KQ5, and the Sega Master System KQ1.

PDFs of the various editions of the King's Quest Companion, and the three novels, and all of Sierra's official KQ hintbooks.

I would buy it if it was a 'complete' collection containing all of this material, I would probably even pay up to $80 for it.
  • edited September 2011
    The original and the remake of KQ1 I can understand, I don't really see the point (from ActiVision's point of view) in adding all the KQ4 versions. Even Sierra didn't bother. And do you really think ActiVision even knows of their existence?

It should be bundled the way you described but with all the installers from http://sierrahelp.com/
  • edited September 2011
    The AGI version of KQ4 is very different than the SCI version. Different script, a couple of different puzzles (that is the puzzle is solved slightly differently), different artwork (it's not simply the same artwork converted from the SCI version). There are even a few elements like birds and squirrels that appear in the game that don't appear in the SCI version. Plus those fun easter eggs!

That's the main reason I think it would be nice to finally add it in.

I do agree there is no point to adding two sci versions. Since one sci replaced the other sci version directly. Much like how KQ7 2.0 replaced KQ7 1.4.
  • edited September 2011
    It still wasn't the same re-imagining that the remakes got. It was basically for all intents and purposes a port. Like the Apple IIgs versions of several AGI games. They all got different colours, alternate digital sound effects, and completely different musical tracks. Should they get added too?
  • edited September 2011
    The Apple II versions are direct ports of AGI games, same interpreter/engine. Actually many of the Apple II versions are actually something like 'version 2.0' to the PC's '1.0', so a later version of the AGI game on the interpreter.

The AGI version of KQ1 is a completely different in that its on a different engine than the the SCI version, this means some very different scripted moments, for example the game is on its own timer that you must wait for it to become night time, as opposed to it automatically skipping ahead to night after you reach the woods. Obviously the different artwork designed specifically for that version, and different text as well. As well as the easter eggs that are only found on the AGI version (designed specifically for that version).

The difference between AGI version and Sci is actually more in common with KQ1AGI vs. KQ1 Sega, or KQ5 vs. KQ5 NES! And a lesser extent KQ6 vs. KQ6 Amiga. Each of these are essentially the same games built on different game interpreters/engines. KQ6 for Amiga for example was remade from groundup using the Virtual Theatre engine.

Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind having the Apple II versions added, if they could get ahold of them all! Personally! They are actually quite well done.

Actually the Apple II version of KQ4 AGI might be the better version of the AGI version!

Interestingly, if you play the Apple II versions on Scumm VM, the game graphics actually appear as the PC version. Which makes me wonder if both call for the same 'color #s', but apple II assigns a different set of colors to the numbers than in the PC.

So basically its appearance in Apple II is more of a glitch (from designers not choosing the right colors to match up with the appearance on the PC), as opposed to intentional color choices

It's interesting for example in SQ1 for Apple II, it says the sky is purple in the narration, but it appears orange!

Another interesting thing I noticed, was that in KQ3, on the Apple II there is no visible timer (actually makes the game harder). But if you play it on ScummVM the timer is visible! Thus one can see that the timer was still in the game files, even if it wasn't visible on the AppleII.
  • edited September 2011
    I know all of this. My point is that ActiVision is never going to do it so it's foolhardy to expect it.
  • edited September 2011
    Who said anything about expecting it?

I'm just saying what I would actually pay for if it was offered.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't buy it... I already own the games in some format otherwise.

Besides, do you really expect Activision/Telltale to go out of their way to get access to the various versions of the King's Quest Companions, Novels, KQ Hintbooks, and create pdfs of them? I know I wouldn't. Which is why I was just suggesting, if, and only if was offered, I would probably be willing to buy it. But in sense, did I say anywhere that I 'expect' them to add any such bells and whistles to their package.

I'm pretty sure no one would expect them to go out of their way to add the console versions of the games either. But if they did, I would buy it.

I'm also pretty sure no one expects them to go out of their way to include the bonus material such as King's Questions, Graham's Board Game Challenge, or Quest for Daventry Pinball, and all the behind thes scenes extras to the package either.

Hell, I don't really expect Telltale to even sell a minimal KQ package. If they did, it would be a disservice to offer the 2006 vivendi package again (considering the KQ7 in the package is incompatible with 64bit version of windows).
  • edited September 2011
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Who said anything about expecting it?

I'm just saying what I would actually pay for if it was offered.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't buy it... I already own the games in some format otherwise.

Besides, do you really expect Activision/Telltale to go out of their way to get access to the various versions of the King's Quest Companions, Novels, KQ Hintbooks, and create pdfs of them? I know I wouldn't. Which is why I was just suggesting, if, and only if was offered, I would probably be willing to buy it. But in sense, did I say anywhere that I 'expect' them to add any such bells and whistles to their package.

I have about 4 copies of the 4th edition of the KQC...Just saying.
  • edited September 2011
    Worst edition, really!

Seriously, the best option is to own the three (for access to the various artwork/maps) + the KQ7 Authorized Guide (for the KQ7 material).
  • edited September 2011
    The 3-disc KQC? What's wrong with that one? It's pretty all-inclusive if you ask me.
  • edited September 2011
    Beyond obvious need to change the installation frontends...

It actually lacks some of the 15th anniversary bonuses, development videos, etc.

The Roberta Williams Collection also has some nice KQ7 concept art bonuses.

This page breaks down the various collections and their bonuses up to the 2006 collection.
    http://www.sierraplanet.com/curiosities/kingsquest/collections.html

Currently the GoG/Activision collections are the most complete up to KQ8 as far as the main games, with the noticeable lack of the KQ1 SCI.
  • edited September 2011
    It is the most inclusive as far as games go, though. It'd be nice to have bonus content, but the main feature is the games, and that collection wins out.
  • edited September 2011
    Yet it still lacks KQ8. Most inclusive would be to combine the GoG/Activision versions into one pack, along with anything from KQC1 or 2 packs, or add in Wizard and the Princess and KQ1SCI.

Any way they go about it is going to need new installation front end.

I also seriously doubt they need to throw in Laura Bow games and mixed-up mother goose.
  • edited September 2011
    The more games the better. I always assumed that part of it was carried over from the Roberta Williams Anthology. They were games that she made. It'd be nice if Phantasmagoria was also there too, actually.
  • edited September 2011
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Worst edition, really!

Seriously, the best option is to own the three (for access to the various artwork/maps) + the KQ7 Authorized Guide (for the KQ7 material).

I have copies of every edition of the King's Quest Companion. The first copy we got of it was the 3rd edition, sometime around 1995-1996. But that one wore out over the years from use and eventually the spine broke and so I needed a new copy. I have like 3 copies of each edition LOL for different reasons.

I still have my 1994 KQ Collection manual, as well as the original manuals for each KQ game and the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles. My mother however threw away my CD cases (I had KQ5, KQ6, KQ7, KQ8, the '94 Collection on CD with the glass cases from when i was a kid).

One time I bought off Ebay mint condition (shrink wrapped) KQs 1-5, diskettes and all. I still have them on a book shelf, and the version of KQ4 is the AGI version, and the version of KQ5 is the original cover.
  • edited September 2011
    Does the KQ Collection come with the individual game manuals for each KQ game?

Those would be cool to have.

edit: Gah... apparently not. (I just looked at KQC on Steam.)

I wish it did.

TC4uF.png HiQtm.png

I remember that KQ4 manual from years past. (It was my family's first ever adventure game.) God knows where it is now. When I got KQ3 from my brother in law, he only had a photocopy of the manual.
  • edited September 2011
    The KQC I have came with a big thick manual with all (most?) of the contents from each game's manual included. All the text, anyway. I think some of the images made it in from KQ6. The KQ5 copy protection is even included even though it's not needed. It also contains manual information for LB1, LB2, and MUMG Deluxe. Oh, and the four included Apple hi-res games.

I still also have my KQ3 and KQ4 manuals, though. In fact, I think I even have KQ2. I don't have KQ1, though. Very nice parchment-like manuals.
  • edited September 2011
    I think I bought my KQ Collection from Steam.

Yup there it is. Ah, good stuff.

Though I'm skipping part 3 in favor of AGDI's right now since I'm playing through the games again.
  • edited September 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

I wish it did.

TC4uF.png HiQtm.png

I remember that KQ4 manual from years past. (It was my family's first ever adventure game.) God knows where it is now. When I got KQ3 from my brother in law, he only had a photocopy of the manual.

Search Ebay. Sometimes really interesting stuff comes up. I remember once--this was years ago--A collection of Sierra background paintings came up, I think from KQV. I couldn't afford it at the time sadly. I know I also once saw a poster of KQVII--Like a movie style poster, same size different from the cover art of KQVII.
  • edited September 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

I wish it did.

TC4uF.png HiQtm.png

Odd. I believe the Space Quest Collection had every manual with it. (Or at least the SQ1 manual, since it was necessary to get around that pesky copy protection.)
  • edited September 2011
    The Space Quest Collection (at least the one I have, the Collector's Edition, two discs with SQs 1-6, 6 demo, SQ1 remake and original, bonus arcade game, etc) comes with one manual and all the necessary information and copy protection included in it.
  • edited September 2011
    The KQC I have came with a big thick manual with all (most?) of the contents from each game's manual included. All the text, anyway. I think some of the images made it in from KQ6. The KQ5 copy protection is even included even though it's not needed. It also contains manual information for LB1, LB2, and MUMG Deluxe. Oh, and the four included Apple hi-res games.

I still also have my KQ3 and KQ4 manuals, though. In fact, I think I even have KQ2. I don't have KQ1, though. Very nice parchment-like manuals.

I wonder if that is the same manual that came with Roberta Williams Anthology. That package included all the RW games to that point in time. So it didn't have KQ8 or Phantasmagoria in any but demo form. And it also has all the Apple II games she designed, like Mission Asteroid.
  • edited September 2011
    The Roberta Williams Anthology manual and KQ Collection II manual are different, but have some similiarties...

The RWA manual is even thicker, because of the extra games the collection came with.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.