How do you define 'dark' or 'darkness' and how does this relate to KQ?

edited December 2011 in Kings Quest Game
I'm curious how people define darkness in storytelling, and how do you feel it relates to the KQ series?

What is the cinematic/literary/fiction definition of dark? How does it contrast with your own interpretations of dark?

Here are a series of comments on how Roberta viewed darkness for various games in the series, that I have found;
This quest (KQ6) seems to have a darker, more ominous tone than the other King’s Quests; it is also more wordy. Is there a reason?

I was thinking that same thing the other day, but I don’t believe we made it intentionally ominous. It just turned out that way.
First of all, I have to say that King's Quest comes from ME and each one is different and has its own flavor. Some have a darker tone, and others have a lighter tone. Some touch upon violence, and some don't. King's Quest reflects the mood that I am in when I go to tackle another one.
KQ3 was very dark, and it utilized lots of magic and magic spells with the basic idea of finding ingredients for "black magic" spells and then casting those spells. (Certain religious groups were upset with me over that one!)
KQ8 indeed has a story, actually, a much more profound story than prior King's Quests. It is a new telling of the ultimate "quest" the quest for the most powerful, spiritual, benevolent item of all; the Mask of Eternity. This story takes its cue from two sources: the Quest for the Grail, and the Christian story of the struggle between God and Lucifer. When we say that the story is very dark that's really not true; it's just that the story is more profound and seriously looks at the struggle between good and evil. Rather than taking a bubbly, Disney view of good and evil, I chose to look at the struggle between good and evil from a more serious, traditional, almost spiritual, viewpoint. If you look at the traditional stories of the Grail and even in past Christian legend, you find that it is not light-hearted, gooey, and bubbly. Those stories are filled with conflict, peril, finding ones own morality, proving oneself a hero by overcoming evil creatures of Chaos, but yet proving oneself virtuous and good with all things good. That is the theme with this game.
"The idea I sorta had in the back of my mind in developing this game, its not really heavy, or fleshed out strongly, it was the idea of exploring spirituality a little bit, I don't want to get heavy with this, but the idea of religions maybe, or lightness and darkness, chaos and order, and why people believe the way they do, and I sort of went back to primitive religions, and looking really at all religions, seeing what was some commonalities among them... -Roberta Williams, Talk Spot 2.

Here is a comment from Mark Seibert;
December 1998; What would the game have lost the most if you had made in the KQ7 style?
"I think the ambience, I think the game has a wonderful mood to it, it's kinda of dark and mysterious and look of the screen and the music and the sound effects just make for a wonderful experience. I don't think it would have gotten the same experience from cartoon animation."
-Mark Seibert, Talkspot Part 2

Comments

• edited September 2011
    "Darkness" can be many things. People often use this generic term these days to describe something they feel as mature, but mostly it's over-melodramatic and generically gritty.

King's Quest has always had some "scary" elements, but they're mostly spooky and still in the realm of whimsical. King's Quest is definitely more whimsical fairy-tale than a DARK, GRITTY Adventure™.

Bt
  • edited September 2011
    You know, just because Roberta says something doesn't mean it's right. I think she made a severe mis-calculation with MOE's direction and execution. It happens. Sometimes the creators of something take their work in a different direction, and it doesn't work too well. (* cough Prequel Trilogy cough*)

Bt
  • edited September 2011
    Just because you say something doesn't mean what you say is right... It's just an opinion, just as much as Roberta's thoughts are just opinions, or the people that questioned Roberta, are asking based on their opinions.

The purpose of this thread, is to get everybody's opinions. Not just your opinion.

BTW, the purpose of this thread isn't to discuss the merits/lack of, for KQ8... So 'would you kindly' stay on subject?

Andrew-Ryan.jpg
  • edited September 2011
    First, your previous post was largely about MoE, so Blackthorne is justified on commenting specifically about it.

Second, I tire of people saying "your opinion is just an opinion" as if to invalidate any position anyone has on a subject when they hold fast to their views. If people don't actually believe in the things they are saying, it makes the argument moot anyway since no one would be sincere enough to care about being honest.

On topic, I would agree that KQ is spooky in places while still retaining a sufficient level of whimsy. KQ6 is probably the darkest of the first 7 games, but it is held together by a more compelling story than the others which justifies the tone.
  • edited September 2011
    KQ6 doesn't really strike me as that dark, but maybe that's just me. For a game to be dark for me there needs to be the sense that some unexpected peril can happen at any time.

I thought the KQ2 remake did that very well with the whole sequence of getting the 3rd gem (night-time, creepy chapel, Dracula's castle, getting attacked by wild animals).
    The ambiance is just right, something they failed to do properly in KQ6. KQ6 is still a great game with a fantastic story though, mind you.
  • edited September 2011
    KQ4 anyone?
  • edited September 2011
    First, your previous post was largely about MoE, so Blackthorne is justified on commenting specifically about it.
    Actually they are just an assortment of quotes where Roberta or others talked about opinions of darkness in the games, with examples like KQ6, KQ3, and KQ8. It's not just 'largely" KQ8...

Or at least how Roberta interpreted 'dark'. Not everyone seems till have the same definition for what dark means... Which is he purpose of this thread...

As for 'someone's opinion is just an opinion" you may notice Blackthorne tried to use that against Roberta Williams opinions. I brought them only into this thread to be inclusive of all the opinions on darkness out there including the one who designed the games.
    KQ4 anyone?
    Ya I'm curious of people's opinions on this game was it truly 'dark' or not?

I sort of get the impression based on her comments about KQ6, that she didn't really view KQ4 as "dark" as KQ6.

You can also infer from one of her above quotes that she must have viewed KQ3 to be darker than KQ4.

Was she right or was she wrong?

I believe MusicallyInspired or maybe Lambonius have strong opinions on what 'dark' means at least from a cinema/fiction background (may even have clinical definitions handy?), it would be interesting to get their opinions in this thread.
  • edited September 2011
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Actually they are just an assortment of quotes where Roberta or others talked about opinions of darkness in the games, with examples like KQ6, KQ3, and KQ8. It's not just 'largely" KQ8...

Or at least how Roberta interpreted 'dark'. Not everyone seems till have the same definition for what dark means... Which is he purpose of this thread...

As for 'someone's opinion is just an opinion" you may notice Blackthorne tried to use that against Roberta Williams opinions. I brought them only into this thread to be inclusive of all the opinions on darkness out there including the one who designed the games.

Ya I'm curious of people's opinions on this game was it truly 'dark' or not?

I sort of get the impression based on her comments about KQ6, that she didn't really view KQ4 as "dark" as KQ6, was she right or was she wrong?

I believe MusicallyInspired or maybe Lambonius have strong opinions on what 'dark' means at least from a cinema/fiction background (may even have clinical definitions handy?), it would be interesting to get their opinions in this thread.

Personally I define "dark" as creepy, eerie, spooky, etc. KQ6 was a mature game, with complex and mature plot points, more sophisticated than any previous KQ game, sure. But it wasn't that dark. The Land of the Dead is dark until the dancing skeletons. The only really dark--as in, creepy, eerie, spooky--part of the game is the Catecombs. However, KQ4's dark tone doesn't let up AT ALL. It's a very bleak, lonely feeling game. It has almost a Twilight Zone kind of feel to it--that eeriness.
  • edited September 2011
    KQ game, sure. But it wasn't that dark. The Land of the Dead is dark until the dancing skeletons
    I suspect you have never heard of dark comedy/black comedy? Amusing aspects do not mean that something isn't dark. RotD is darK throughout, and progressively gets darker up to the point you challenge Samhain, who is a very dark souless character... Dark in a HR Geiger sort of way, dark in a Hellraiser kind of way...

Here are many of the definitions of 'dark'... These may not necessarily be aspects of the the "literary" definition of dark. I'm not entirely sure 'creepy, scary' are defined by these definitions or even synonyms. But I'm not entirely certain what is covered under the literary definition either, Musically Inspired may up on that.

a: devoid or partially devoid of light : not receiving, reflecting, transmitting, or radiating light <a dark room> b: transmitting only a portion of light <dark glasses>

a: wholly or partially black <dark clothing> bof a color: of low or very low lightness c: being less light in color than other substances of the same kind <dark rum>

a: arising from or showing evil traits or desires : evil <the dark powers that lead to war> b: dismal, gloomy <had a dark view of the future> c: lacking knowledge or culture : unenlightened <a dark period in history> d: relating to grim or depressing circumstances <dark humor>

a: not clear to the understanding b: not known or explored because of remoteness <the darkest reaches of the continent>

: not fair in complexion : swarthy

: secret <kept his plans dark>

: possessing depth and richness <a dark voice>

: closed to the public <the theater is dark in the summer>

Doing a search on dark fiction, one blog gave this definition,
    “Dark” fiction is anything that leaves the reader feeling disturbed by what he/she is reading or that creates a negative emotional response in the reader. Sometimes it is graphically violent content, sometimes it is themes of mental illness or abuse. This in no way is an indication of how poorly a novel is written. In fact it demonstrates that the book was so well written it affects the reader’s subconscious and lingers for days after. Dark fiction leaves the reader disturbed rather than entertained or enlightened.

This definition wouldn't really apply directly to much in KQ except maybe to the abuse and punishment Alexander suffered under Manannan. It might apply to to the suggested violence implied in the history of Alhazred... Or the life Cassima was forced to live under as a slave under Mordack...

Here is another definition from a website (which I say doesn't exactly apply to any KQ game, no KQ is really horror);
    Dark fiction is another term for horror, a genre of fiction concerned with fear, death, and the sinister side of human nature. This is not limited to written literature, but encompasses a wide body of popular media, including movies and television series. Although such fiction is not for all tastes, writers of horror maintain that their work discusses important aspects of the human experience. The term dark fiction is sometimes used to distinguish certain stories from the mainstream horror genre. These stories may be less fantasy-oriented than most horror fiction and contain subtler emotional effects.

Neither of these definitions really include creepyness or scariness in their definitions, but seem to suggest much more subtle and psychological emotional responses in the reader.
  • edited September 2011
    Mainly darkness in storytelling is used by describing settings where the story takes place. For instance maybe the main character casts a shadow, or perhaps it turns from day to a night setting.

KQ used this a few times, mainly in KQ4 during the night scenes, and I recall a storm brew in KQ3 when the sky got dark with clouds and such. Really a useful tool for a good story and can be found in everyday life.
  • edited September 2011
    So you define 'darkness' as the opposite of physical light? As physical nature describing the setting? Shadows and darkness?
  • edited September 2011
    Jerminator wrote: »
    Mainly darkness in storytelling is used by describing settings where the story takes place. For instance maybe the main character casts a shadow, or perhaps it turns from day to a night setting.

KQ used this a few times, mainly in KQ4 during the night scenes, and I recall a storm brew in KQ3 when the sky got dark with clouds and such. Really a useful tool for a good story and can be found in everyday life.

Good point, Jerm. And don't forget the pawn shop owner from KQ6! :D
  • edited September 2011
    Lambonius you are an art major right? What is darkness in art? Mostly a physical thing (light vs shadows?)? Or are there the psychological aspects like literature?
  • edited September 2011
    Lambonius you are an art major right? What is darkness in art? Mostly a physical thing (light vs shadows?)? Or are there the psychological aspects like literature?

Depends on the time period and context. :)

The type of "darkness" that is being referred to in this thread, however, is one of the major pop culture cliches of today, which is, I think, why many of us have so much trouble stomaching it.
  • edited September 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    Depends on the time period and context. :)

The type of "darkness" that is being referred to in this thread, however, is one of the major pop culture cliches of today, which is, I think, why many of us have so much trouble stomaching it.

Yeah. Ohhhh, grimdark so deep! :rolleyes:

Proper dark story-telling can be found in the original Grimm Brothers fairy tales. Those things were gruesome. In recent years the best 'dark' story I've seen was the Sweeny Todd movie.
  • edited September 2011
    Grimm fairy tales were dark from a 'psychological' dark sort of way.

In general KQ takes the route of the more sanitized Disney-esque route, where the more dark aspects of the original fairy tale have been removed...
  • edited September 2011
    KuroShiro wrote: »
    Yeah. Ohhhh, grimdark so deep! :rolleyes:

Proper dark story-telling can be found in the original Grimm Brothers fairy tales. Those things were gruesome. In recent years the best 'dark' story I've seen was the Sweeny Todd movie.

You should check out the Gotrek and Felix book series. Very good, they exist in a world which is "grimdark" to begin with. Very excellent series.
  • edited September 2011
    Grimm fairy tales were dark from a 'psychological' dark sort of way.

In general KQ takes the route of the more sanitized Disney-esque route, where the more dark aspects of the original fairy tale have been removed...

A little OT but what kind of darkness would you call The Twilight Zone? It's not outright horror--But it is disturbing. Could it be called psychological darkness, ala Grimm's Fairy Tales?
  • edited September 2011
    A little OT but what kind of darkness would you call The Twilight Zone? It's not outright horror--But it is disturbing. Could it be called psychological darkness, ala Grimm's Fairy Tales?

I wouldn't call it dark at all. At least, not the cliche kind we're so used to seeing today. They're usually too comical, or perhaps to put it more accurately, they don't take themselves too seriously. I'd call them black humor, if anything.
  • edited September 2011
    I wouldn't call it dark at all. At least, not the cliche kind we're so used to seeing today. They're usually too comical, or perhaps to put it more accurately, they don't take themselves too seriously. I'd call them black humor, if anything.

Even considering the context of the time in which they were made? Today they might seem comical because we're so used to blood, guts, gore and every form of psychological horror...But in the late 1950s, early 1960s? I mean consider episodes like The Hitchhiker, or Living Doll, or Nightmare at 30,000 Feet....I don't really see any humor in them, not even black humor.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, perhaps you're right. When I say "black humor," I'm thinking of shows like Tales from the Crypt, which definitely falls into that category. I don't see Twilight Zone as being all too different from that vein. Also, there have been several iterations of the Twilight Zone, not all of which are from the 1950s or so. ;)
  • edited September 2011
    Well, perhaps you're right. When I say "black humor," I'm thinking of shows like Tales from the Crypt, which definitely falls into that category. I don't see Twilight Zone as being all too different from that vein. Also, there have been several iterations of the Twilight Zone, not all of which are from the 1950s or so. ;)

Ah...I've never really watched anything Twilight Zone related outside of the original '50s show, which is generally played straight. I remember watching Tales from the Crypt as a kid though...Even as a kid it seemed kind of campy. I've heard, however, that the original Tales of the Crypt comic books from the '50s are kind of disturbing and truly dark, same goes for a lot of EC Comics' stuff. But I've never gotten the chance to see any of it for myself.
  • edited September 2011
    KQ4 definitely has some "darker" and creepier elements, without being overboard on it. Walking through Tamir has it's beautiful moments, but those grabby-trees are scary; the old run-down house is pretty creepy, but atmospheric - the graveyard is pretty scary.

It uses some "darker" elements as part of an overall palette of emotional elements to create a full experience. A common cliche today is to make everything so over-archingly "dark" and melodramatic, that it feels like you're caught in a teenager's view of what life is. I find so many people taking beloved figures from their childhood (Such as He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers) and making them "dark" as they are now adults. Maybe it's the cynicsm of finding out that life isn't the bag of fun and diamonds that you felt you were promised when you were a kid - when you find out that you're not the unique and special flower that people told you that you were all throughout your childhood you might get a little bitter. Problem is, today, that grown men and women just won't let go of that teen angst.

Bt
  • edited September 2011
    KQ4 has it's mix, west Tamir is very light and bright, filled with jolly characters such as the dwarfs, minstrel, pan, and Cupid, even a happy unicorn (at least until you are sent to capture it). Eastern Tamir is darker (not dark fiction dark, but dark as in lack of light), it also has horror elements (not the same thing as 'dark fiction' or 'dark fantasy').

Black humor and dark humor are the same thing actually. Often this type of humor has a psychological aspect to it... Thus why its kind of a subcategory of dark fiction, or often tied into dark fiction.

Alfred Hitchcock was the genius when it came to the macabre humor!

Dark and creepy are two separate issues...

Dark =/= Creepy you can have one without the other in a story. Creepy is more the horror direction, dark is more the psychological...

In KQ4 the dark psychological aspect is knowing that the clock is counting down, if your quest isn't successful you might be stuck in Tamir, or your father might die. There are psychological overtones in that you are being manipulated by an evil being in her plans to destroy and conquer the world.

But the game is also filled with many horror elements (the scary and the creepy) as well dark, dark =/= horror.

The thing about dark fiction is it tends to affect different people differently, it's more subtle and effects more at the psychological level. Horror tends to be more blunt and effects most audience (perhaps on a base emotional level).

That is why KQ6 can be described as having a darker tone, as it's subtle and may only be 'dark' to some on a psychological level, but not to the whole audience.

The Realm of the Dead has elements of dark, horror, and dark humor. All of these can interact but are not the same thing.

Another literary website described the difference as such;
    Horror suggests the reader should expect to be left with an overwhelming feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting — i.e. something horrific. Given this conventional definition of horror, for me, it doesn’t exist within fiction. Any events likely to provoke this type of reaction from me can only be found within the constraints of non-fiction.

Dark Fiction, on the other hand, rarely evokes a preconceived expectation as it doesn’t suggest the intensity of the ‘scare’ factor of the story. A story of a locust plague may not be considered horror by one reader, but will evoke extreme recoil from a reader suffering with entomophobia. Although the first reader may not consider the story to be horrific, I believe very few people would deny that this type of story has the potential to provoke a wide range of reactions from reader to reader depending on the intensity of their aversion to the subject matter.

Simply put, the term Dark Fiction is sympathetic to the gamut of subjective opinions, whereas Horror is far more restrictive in its definition.

Another good example, is KQ3 is a very bright and cheery setting (it is not 'physically dark'), even when you get to Daventry, everything is pretty colorful... But it touches on the dark psychological elements, such as the fact that you are a slave boy, that is routinely punished/tortured, is going to be killed soon, and must work against a clock to survive. There is also darkness to the fact that Daventry is not the same kingdom it once was, and also heading towards its doom, despite how bright the kingdom may look... You have a once fully benevolent king who is now willing to send innocent maidens, and his own daughter to their deaths, sacrificting them to a dragon... Who has locked himself in his castle in a state of hopelessness, awaiting his final destuction... You as a character are working againts a clock to save teh kingdom and your sister. The only way you can, is to resort to the use of dark and evil magic ('dark fantasy', tends towards the 'evil' side of 'dark' in meaning).

KQ3 is Dark without Horror (a good example that the two are separate issues)...

Here is a definition of 'dark fantasy' that I found in a literary/writer's glossary that might separate and give understanding to the different types of dark fiction;
    dark fantasy: Character is up against a conflict that appears too severe to be overcome, and usually is along the lines of a horror atmosphere involving insurmountable odds/evil wizards/evil magic. Can be a modern or mythical setting. A psychological suspense element is often beneficial, perhaps essential.

Notice, it says similar to horror, but its not actually horror.
  • edited September 2011
    Something doesn't have to be a Horror or Thriller in order to be dark. To be honest, I'm not all that crazy about horror movies, especially recent ones.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't agree with oversimplifying the meaning of dark storytelling. Either a story has a plot or it doesnt. In my mind there isnt such thing as pure evil. So every antagonist in a story has a reason for doing the things they do. Not saying their choices are the correct ones but they always have a twisted motivation or they are led to believe that the bad deeds they are doing are not actually bad. If the villian is truly twisted then you'd have to agree that they are not normal or have a psycological issue for their reasoning. (which I wont go into... Religion, madness....etc.

KQ in my opinion isnt supposed to be looked at in this way for me. Its a lighthearted adventure fantasy... classic good vs. not good. Theres witches, wizards, talking owls, even death himself. What I think is lost in our current state is that storytellers are trying to make these types of storys or games more realistic. Trying to attach emotional feelings and modern reactions to a genre that is purely meant to stay in the fantasy realm. Yes it may have dark elements but that's just a storytelling arc and nothing more to me.
  • edited September 2011
    Jerminator wrote: »
    classic good vs. not good. Theres witches, wizards, talking owls...

hahaha

I would classify Cedric as pure evil. :D
  • edited November 2011
    So any more ideas?
  • edited November 2011
    I think this is kind of a dead discussion. Pun intended!

Bt
  • edited November 2011
    Well now with certain latest releases... People might have fresh material to discuss...
  • edited December 2011
    It's complicated...

Take King's Quest V, Mordack has Cassima locked in his castle, working as his servant unless she agrees to marry him? This situation makes no sense when you are an adult, but in a child logic where babies are delivered by storks, it makes perfect sense. It's on this logic that King's Quest works. There is no war, sex or politics, good and evil are absolute values, there are no real life consequences and you're not supposed to think about the ramifications to anything, the second you do, the world and plot fall apart.

And it's this logic that keeps the darkness in King's Quest lighthearted. A logic that dictates nothing truly bad and irreversible ever happens to good persons, they are turned into tree or animals, shrunk, poisoned into deep sleep, conveniently swallowed whole by monsters, locked in towers... so they can be rescued later on. Even when Cassima's parents get killed, you go in the underworld to rescue them. I could be wrong, my memory is rather fuzzy, but as far as I remember and excluding the main character for obvious reasons, no good person ever died (permanently) in this series, except the king in the first game, who died of old age.

See where I'm going? It gets dark and scary at time, there are evil monsters and wizards all over the place, and of course, the player can die in dozens of different ways, but at the same time, even at its darkest hour, threat and bad guys motivations are simple, things remain lighthearted and after the direst torments, characters remain happy go lucky and live happily ever after (at least until the sequel.)

Approaching King's Quest with real life, adult or fridge logic is missing the point entirely, because like the Mario Bros universe, it works on its own internal, childish and whimsical logic.
  • edited December 2011
    blueskirt wrote: »
    (entire post)

Yes, very well stated.

I've been thinking about this, both in the context of this thread and in relation to having recently played The Silver Lining.

To me, darkness in fiction is a sense of foreboding or dread, intended and all-pervasive, as the likelihood of any kind of happy ending diminishes. KQ might have temporary moments of "impending doom", fairy-tale style, but you pretty much always know that things will work out satisfactorily in the end.

This is why TSL is so... weird. Mostly it's KQ-style adventuring, lighthearted and whimsical, interspersed with scenes showing the real-world anguish of fairy-tale tragedies -- dealt with in 21st-century fashion, no less, which makes it even weirder. It's totally disjointed and incongruous. Your final point really hits home: "Approaching King's Quest with real life, adult or fridge logic is missing the point entirely".
  • edited December 2011
    Two great, great posts right above this one. You've explained perfectly exactly why TSL's whole overarching concept sucks so hard, and is so blatantly anti-King's Quest. Nice.
  • edited December 2011

It's pretty much 'psychological thriller'.

But what was scary or dark back then, isn't as scary and dark now. The standards have changed over time. The new standards are full of 'angsty' teenage age drama, and lots of violence and death...
  • edited December 2011
    Blueskirt hit it on the head. Well said. Perfect post, man. I might weep a little.

Bt
  • edited December 2011
    Re: The Twilight Zone...

Marc Scott Zicree points out very astutely in his introduction to The Twilight Zone Companion that it was the first television series to deal on a regular basis with alienation, loneliness, and isolation.

Probably most of the quintessential Twilight Zone episodes are about these existential questions - sense of meaninglessness, not belonging. Those are also typically the episodes that I feel have not dated at all, really, because no matter how well-adjusted or balanced we imagine ourselves, none of us are immune from these feelings that drive people to madness or suicide every day.

If it seems a minority concern or something, you just give it some time...
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the nice words, guys, I can't wait to play your Space Quest II and replay King's Quest III.
    To me, darkness in fiction is a sense of foreboding or dread, intended and all-pervasive, as the likelihood of any kind of happy ending diminishes. KQ might have temporary moments of "impending doom", fairy-tale style, but you pretty much always know that things will work out satisfactorily in the end.

Exactly!
  • edited December 2011
    Also mind you the French Cannes (IIRC) film The Occurrence at Owl's Creek Bridge that the The Twilight Zone showed as as an episode is not funny or cheesy... It's a classic film...

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occurrence_at_Owl_Creek_Bridge_(film)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.