Local theater showing Back to the Future!

A local theater here is going to be showing the first Back to the Future tonight at 7! Since I was far too young to see it in theaters the first time, I think I'll make up for that tonight! WHOO!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Sadly, they'll probably be showing the HD version of the film used for the Blu-Rays. =/
  • edited September 2011
    Well, aren't you lucky? I'm sure it'll be quite the experience.

Make sure to rub it in our faces after your return.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, aren't you lucky? I'm sure it'll be quite the experience.

Make sure to rub it in our faces after your return.

Can do!:D
  • edited September 2011
    Sadly, they'll probably be showing the HD version of the film used for the Blu-Rays. =/

That would've been preferable to the DVD version that they used. But hey, at least it wasn't the censored for tv version.

There was quite a nice size crowd in there...and I'm pretty sure a few of them weren't even born yet when the movie came out. People laughed at most of the jokes(I think the Tab and Pepsi Free joke is the only joke that hasn't carried over well) and there was cheering when George slugged Biff and when Marty hit the cable just as the lightning struck and sent him home. All in all, a great experience I'm happy to have been able to sit through. :D
  • edited September 2011

What was wrong with the Blu-ray transfers?
  • edited September 2011

nothing but most people like it to be as original as possible, and also he always complains about stuff.... lol just kidding... please dont kill me
  • edited September 2011

Nothing wrong with that. AMC had a digital screening a few months ago and it looked STUNNING. The clarity just sucked you right into the film and made me appreciate the performances more than I ever had before. It was fantastic!
  • edited September 2011
    tobar wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that. AMC had a digital screening a few months ago and it looked STUNNING. The clarity just sucked you right into the film and made me appreciate the performances more than I ever had before. It was fantastic!

That would've been nice. This theater just screened the DVD release. I know this because of the menu screen. :p
  • edited September 2011
    That would've been preferable to the DVD version that they used. But hey, at least it wasn't the censored for tv version.
    No, you certainly got off lucky. While the picture is technically lower in resolution, the image itself is far more natural, as I'll display a bit further down.
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    nothing but most people like it to be as original as possible, and also he always complains about stuff.... lol just kidding... please dont kill me
    Yes, I do prefer the film that I love to not be mangled by automatic filters and enhancements that take the high-definition scan of the films and make them worse. Yes, I prefer a high def copy of the original film, rather than one that Universal took EFFORT to ruin.
    You were seeing things. The picture on the Blu-Rays is horrendously unnatural compared to the original DVD release.
    Glad you asked! Let me explain...

Universal essentially applied filters that hurt image quality to the master they had. We know this because, first of all, it's really easy to spot automated filters, because automated filters are shit. But, second of all, the HD master of the films made their way to Japanese TV unaltered before the BD release, and so we have the luxury of a means of direct comparison.

Basically, the movie would have looked better if they had done NOTHING and just put the same master onto a Blu-Ray and taken advantage of that bitrate rather than taking the same master and messing around with it. It's not even that it looks horrible, but that it looks worse than it would have if they did nothing at all and there is no justifiable reason for it. This is just a case of incompetence by Universal.

Here are some comparison shots that show some of the differences between an HDTV airing before the "restoration" and the Blu-Ray after the "restoration".

DNR example between HDTV airing and Blu-Ray, loss of texture. Notice how Marty now looks like he's essentially made of wax.

Edge Enhancement Halo. These are made by cheap automatic edge enhancement software and make an unnatural glow around certain edges, robbing the film of its reality.

Crushed blacks. Here, detail and texture is lost and replaced with pitch black in these parts. A live action film should not have a dark object with texture lose that texture due to overzealous automatic "enhancement".

The Blu-Ray is certainly worse than it should be, considering Universal could have spent the time picking their noses and done an actually better job.
  • edited September 2011
    You were seeing things. The picture on the Blu-Rays is horrendously unnatural compared to the original DVD release.

I never said they played the Blu-ray did I? This was a national theater chain that had special screenings of this all across the country. It had to be a digital projection but whatever source Universal gave them it was not the Blu-rays. The image had no DNR or edge enhancement used on it at all and the clarity was amazing with no evidence of crushed blacks either. It's unfortunate what they did to the blu-ray release but that is not what I saw at my screening.
  • edited September 2011
    I never said they played the Blu-ray did I? This was a national theater chain that had special screenings of this all across the country. It had to be a digital projection but whatever source Universal gave them it was not the Blu-rays. The image had no DNR or edge enhancement used on it at all and the clarity was amazing with no evidence of crushed blacks either. It's unfortunate what they did to the blu-ray release but that is not what I saw at my screening.
    ...I said it would be disappointing if they used the version used in the Blu-Rays. You responded that there would be "Nothing wrong with that", that AMC did a screening, and "it" looked "amazing". At the very least, you worded your post in such a way that it seems you went entirely out of your way to misinform.

Further, if you mean the AMC 25th anniversary screening, that was of the Blu-Ray release. I know, I was there. I have the poster from the screening on the wall behind me. Late October, right?(hardly "a few months ago", though).
  • edited September 2011
    Hmmm, maybe I just don't notice those kinds of things Dashing.

Now, I DID notice a few things during the movie. Firstly, everyone griping that in the game, Marty rubbed his neck a lot, he does it a lot in the first movie too. And me and a friend actually noted after the movie that we were comparing the town square to its 1931 counterpart. And he noticed a wall in the game that he thought might have just been there to keep people from going over there or what-not, but upon watching the movie, he noticed that the wall was actually there. Movie trickery at its finest.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.